What's New at Classical Coins

1 view

Dave Welsh

Apr 26, 2009, 4:25:15 AM4/26/09
April 23, 2009

It has been two months since we last sent out a newsletter about
developments at Classical Coins.

Since the last newsletter

* Many coins have been added to our online inventory

* Some ongoing developments in the Cultural Property War

Coins Added

With this issue of "What's New" listing of 48 new ancient coins to the
Classical Coins website, www.classicalcoins.com , is announced. To quickly
review these new listings, visit http://www.classicalcoins.com/new.html.
This listing includes a nice middle bronze of the Bar Kochba revolt from the
Daniel Friedenberg collection, an interesting group of silver minors from
Selge in Pisidia, tetradrachms of the Indo-Greek king Hermaios and his
Indo-Scythian successors, two nice coins from Roman Egypt, an attractive
death commemorative sestertius of Antoninus Pius, and a nice selection of
very reasonably priced Roman Imperial antoniniani from the periods of the
Soldier Emperors and the Time of Troubles.

Many collectors don't seem to realize that there is much more to Classical
Coins than what appears on our New Listings and Premier Coins pages. We
encourage you to explore the entire site, where hundreds of other attractive
coins await your perusal. We have been so busy that previous listings have
not been repriced to the current market, and many bargains remain to be
found. If a coin you are searching for is not listed, that does not mean
that we don't have it. We always have a large inventory of coins and
numismatic literature not yet listed for sale, and will gladly help
customers fill want lists, or locate difficult to find coins. For
assistance, telephone us at 805-562-8619 or send an email to
ser...@classicalcoins.com .

Don't forget to visit our VCoins store, located at
http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/classicalcoins/store , where you will find a
different stock of fine ancient coins.

Readers should also be aware that we sell numismatic literature. These
listings may be found at http://www.classicalcoins.com/usedbooks.html

Readers interested in coin jewelry will find several examples of this art
form at our new Classical Creations
http://www.trocadero.com/stores/classicalcreations/ division.

The Cultural Property War

As reported in the last newsletter, the State Department recently announced
import restrictions on a wide array of Chinese cultural artifacts, including
some coins.

The ACCG continues to seek information about the Chinese import restrictions
decision in its ongoing Freedom of Information Act lawsuit against the State
Department. Additional documents have recently been disclosed and these
reinforce the ACCG's opinion that there remains a serious question whether
China actually asked for coins to be included in the request, or whether
bureaucrats within the State Department's "Cultural Heritage Center" added
them on their own or at the behest of American archaeologists.

The Ancient Coin Collectors Guild is the only organization actively
defending the rights of collectors against the steady and insidious
encroachment of legislation and regulations aimed at restricting and perhaps
eventually banning private collecting. This is an expensive process, both in
terms of the time donated by our volunteer staff and the funds required to
pursue legal action. I urge every reader to join the ACCG at http://accg.us/
and to contribute generously toward this worthy cause.

You may also wish to visit my blog at http://classicalcoins.blogspot.com/ .
Much of its content relates to cultural property law.

State of The Market

The market for US coins is slowing, and effects of the worldwide economic
crisis are now being felt. Several major dealers have lost their credit
lines and are being forced to scale back their operations. One major auction
house was forced to cancel its planned auctions. The market for ancient
coins continues to be very strong, with good table traffic at shows and
record prices at major auctions. However, there are signs that some of the
smaller dealers are under economic pressure.

Dave Welsh

Classical Coins

Peter

Apr 26, 2009, 11:05:11 AM4/26/09

Unable to open www.classicalcoins.com
Is there a problem?

Mr. Jaggers

Apr 26, 2009, 11:13:44 AM4/26/09
Peter wrote:
> Unable to open www.classicalcoins.com
> Is there a problem?

It won't open for me either. Maybe the host computer is sleeping late on
this Sunday morning?

James

Jerry Dennis

Apr 26, 2009, 11:24:13 AM4/26/09
On Apr 26, 11:13�am, "Mr. Jaggers" <lugburzman[at]yahoo[dot]com>
wrote:
> Peter wrote:
> > Unable to openwww.classicalcoins.com

> > Is there a problem?
>
> It won't open for me either. �Maybe the host computer is sleeping late on
> this Sunday morning?
>
> James

At 11:23 AM EDT, doesn't work for me, either, Dave.

Jerry

Dave Welsh

Apr 26, 2009, 1:25:41 PM4/26/09
The ISP hosting Classical Coins does their maintenance early Sunday morning.
It usually lasts only a short time, but every so often they have to shut it
down for several hours while a server is replaced or some other major
maintenance task is necessary. The site should be back on line before noon.

Dave Welsh
Classical Coins
dwel...@cox.net

"Peter" <w2...@hotmail.com> wrote in message