Numismatic Gurus Wanted

Omuse...@gmail.com

May 14, 2007, 3:25:20 PM5/14/07
We would like to see experienced coin collectors share their expertise
with millions by contributing "how to" guides on our site. Several
have already been written. How do you stack up to your peers?

Sponsored by Overstock.com, Omuse is the place where people with
similar interests can meet and work together to "write the book" about
the things they enjoy most.

Joining is free and easy!

omuse.overstock.com

Message has been deleted

Dave Hinz

May 14, 2007, 7:06:56 PM5/14/07
On Mon, 14 May 2007 21:16:40 GMT, som...@some.domain <som...@some.domain> wrote:

> In article <1179170720.5...@h2g2000hsg.googlegroups.com>, Omuse...@gmail.com wrote:
>

>>We would like to see experienced coin collectors share their expertise
>>with millions by contributing "how to" guides on our site.

> i would be glad to help for standard research rates plus
> expenses. i also keep full rights and all residuals.
> or are you trying to get free research?

Same here. When I want to contribute to the world's knowledge base for
free, I do it on wikipedia which is run for altruistic, rather than
profit, reasons.

Edwin Johnston

May 14, 2007, 7:43:49 PM5/14/07

So you two are saying that you weren't intimidated by the come on that
you are not good enough?

Sibirskmoneta

May 14, 2007, 8:13:44 PM5/14/07
I will contribute, but you will have to contact my talent agent first.

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

Dave Hinz

May 14, 2007, 9:25:04 PM5/14/07
On Tue, 15 May 2007 00:50:37 GMT, som...@some.domain <som...@some.domain> wrote:
> In article <5as8cgF...@mid.individual.net>, Dave Hinz <Dave...@gmail.com> wrote:

>>Same here. When I want to contribute to the world's knowledge base for
>>free, I do it on wikipedia which is run for altruistic, rather than
>>profit, reasons.

> dave my friend, perhaps usenet has made us a touch cynical?
> i've heard the claim it was birth for me, but....

Cynical? Yeah but I'm not sure that applies in this case. I'll donate
my time to a freely shared resource, but donating it to a commercial
one, well, there has to be a compelling reason to do so. I don't feel
compelled at the moment. Kind of like genealogy research - I'll upload
my data to the Mormon Church's site, because I trust that their motives
for keeping it safe and available are driven by other than profit.
FamilyTreeWebsite.com (made that up) or whomever only exists as long as
the owners are interested and it's profitable. Why go to all the work
to have someone else sell it, or to see it evaporate in a _whif_ if
someone goes broke or gets bored with a project?

Eric Babula

May 14, 2007, 11:30:59 PM5/14/07
Dave Hinz <Dave...@gmail.com> wrote in

You wouldn't be more specifically referring to Ancestry.com, would you,
Dave??

Sorry, that was OT. Back on topic: <sarcasm> I wouldn't contribute to the
OP's website unless paid, either. If they want information, I can give
them one word of advice: Google.com. Make sure you give credit to your
sources, though! Yeah, we'll see about that.</sarcasm>

--
Eric Babula
Milwaukee, Wisconsin, USA

Message has been deleted
Message has been deleted

tony cooper

May 15, 2007, 12:10:47 AM5/15/07

Ancestry.com is a subscription site. The LDS free site is
http://www.familysearch.org/ . You can only go so far with that
site, though.

--

Tony Cooper
Orlando, FL

Message has been deleted

Dave Hinz

May 15, 2007, 7:56:19 AM5/15/07
On 15 May 2007 03:30:59 GMT, Eric Babula <eba...@care2.coom> wrote:
>> Kind of like genealogy research -
>> I'll upload my data to the Mormon Church's site, because I trust that
>> their motives for keeping it safe and available are driven by other
>> than profit. FamilyTreeWebsite.com (made that up) or whomever only
>> exists as long as the owners are interested and it's profitable. Why
>> go to all the work to have someone else sell it, or to see it
>> evaporate in a _whif_ if someone goes broke or gets bored with a
>> project?

> You wouldn't be more specifically referring to Ancestry.com, would you,
> Dave??

I can never keep ancestry and, that other one, straight. I don't
subscribe to either. Been pretty idle in the research in that hobby
lately, too many brick walls for now I think.

> Sorry, that was OT. Back on topic: <sarcasm> I wouldn't contribute to the
> OP's website unless paid, either. If they want information, I can give
> them one word of advice: Google.com. Make sure you give credit to your
> sources, though! Yeah, we'll see about that.</sarcasm>

Everyone who sells something wants to pretend they have a staff of
experts, to give them credibility. I mean, how else are you going to
_know_ that this is, say, the best possible colored set of State
Quarters you can buy, if experts aren't on staff?

Dave Hinz

May 15, 2007, 7:57:43 AM5/15/07
On Tue, 15 May 2007 05:58:32 GMT, som...@some.domain <som...@some.domain> wrote:
> In article <0fci439tjko2fd09q...@4ax.com>, tony cooper <tony_co...@earthlink.net> wrote:
>

>>Ancestry.com is a subscription site. The LDS free site is
>>http://www.familysearch.org/ . You can only go so far with that
>>site, though.

> there ain't no such thing as a free lunch.

Actually, sometimes the free stuff is significantly better than the paid
stuff. Back to sort of my point; people doing things for altruistic
reasons are often motivated better than those after mere profit.