Blank Penny (Slug or what?)

Stujoe

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
BTW: if anyone wants to see a picture of it :

http://members.tripod.com/stujoe/blank.jpg

--
Stujoe
Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

Ebay Auctions Currently Going on...
http://cgi-new.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=stujoe

--
Stujoe <stu...@NOnadaSPAMbigfoot.com> wrote in message
> I found this penny(?) a few years ago in circulation. It appears to me to
be
> a totally unstamped cent. It has a full rim though. My questions are: Do
> coins already have the rim before they are stamped? I figured they were
just
> a shapeless piece of metal before being stamped. Could this be fake or
just
> a common slug? The rim and coloring and proper size makes me think that it
> came from the mint like this. Anyway I was just curious, now it can go
back
> into its 1909s VDB space where it resides. When anyone asks, I say "Of
> course it is a 1909s VDB, prove it isn't" :)
>

> --
> Stujoe
> Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...
>
> Ebay Auctions Currently Going on...
> http://cgi-new.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=stujoe

Stujoe

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99

Steven Preston

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
What you've got is an unstruck planchet (sometimes mistakenly called a
blank- a blank is the round disc of metal that is punched out of the
strip of "coin metal" whereas a planchet is a blank that has had its rim
raised on what is called an upsetting mill- I'll spare you the obvious
joke about mint employees on Prozac). Because the planchet (also called
an "unstruck planchet" which I think only adds to the confusion) is the
same size as a struck coin it will probably escape the "riddler"- the
machine the mint uses to weed out misstruck or improperly sized coins.
Because of their relatively common status in the world of errors, an
unstruck lincoln cent planchet is usually worth around $2 or $3. Hope
this helps (and sorry- no world cruise this time as another group member
likes to say). -Steve

Stujoe

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
Thanks for the info that helps me understand why it has a rim around it. I
wasn't sure how that could happen with no other details.

Wasn't planning on a world cruise on this one :) Fits nice in that 1909s
VDB spot in my collection that will probably never get filled :)

--
Stujoe
Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

--
Steven Preston <seated...@webtv.net> wrote in message

Matthew Walenski

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
Stujoe wrote:
BTW: if anyone wants to see a picture of it :

http://members.tripod.com/stujoe/blank.jpg

--

Stujoe
Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...

--

Stujoe <stu...@NOnadaSPAMbigfoot.com> wrote in message

> I found this penny(?) a few years ago in circulation. It appears to me to
be
> a totally unstamped cent. It has a full rim though. My questions are: Do
> coins already have the rim before they are stamped? I figured they were
just
> a shapeless piece of metal before being stamped. Could this be fake or
just
> a common slug? The rim and coloring and proper size makes me think that it
> came from the mint like this. Anyway I was just curious, now it can go
back
> into its 1909s VDB space where it resides. When anyone asks, I say "Of

> course it is a 1909s VDB, prove it isn't" :)

> --
> Stujoe
> Time sure flies when you don't know what you are doing...
>
> Ebay Auctions Currently Going on...
> http://cgi-new.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewListedItems&userid=stujoe
>
> --

It sure looks like a blank 1909-S VDB to me :)
I have one just like it that I found in circulation a few years ago.

Matt

ps. The rims are added before the coin is stamped.

Stujoe

Aug 28, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/28/99
Oh no don't tell me it may only be a 1909s , that would set my collection
way back :)

--

BandPReed <band...@aol.com> wrote in message

> >It sure looks like a blank 1909-S VDB to me :)
> >I have one just like it that I found in circulation a few years ago.
> >
> >Matt
> >
> >ps. The rims are added before the coin is stamped.
>

> Matt, shame on you!
>
> You can't verify a 1909S VDB by looking at only one side.
>
> BLReed

BandPReed

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99

Matthew Walenski

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
BandPReed wrote:

Even when both sides look the same?
Or should I say, even when I'm willing to take his word on it?
Maybe I'll make an offer to buy it, it should go nicely with the
bridge I just bought on ebay -- I just hope the seller doesn't send
it UPS!

correct-matt, (that's an obtuse borrowing of correct"-ed", Ed's practice
of which I like
very much, but doesn't work so well with my name :(

Matt

Joe Fischer

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
[...]

The price is more soft than it should be
because rolls of the things were sold at a coin
show according to something I read.
These came from a company that made them
for the mint, but the mint didn't ask for them
to be turned in, and they entered the market
without ever being in a mint sewn bag, which
should be the test for a business strike or
blank planchet.

Joe Fischer

Ed Eubanks

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
<< correct-matt, (that's an obtuse borrowing of correct"-ed", Ed's practice
of which I like
very much, but doesn't work so well with my name :( >>

Thanks for the compliment Matt! But not to worry, after a few individuals have
walked all over my opinions, I could never sign off
Door"Matt"
You see, I too am
restrict"ed"

KPotter256

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
>The price is more soft than it should be
>because rolls of the things were sold at a coin
>show according to something I read.
> These came from a company that made them
>for the mint, but the mint didn't ask for them
>to be turned in, and they entered the market
>without ever being in a mint sewn bag, which
>should be the test for a business strike or
>blank planchet.
>
>Joe Fischer

That is correct Joe. Ball Zinc (or whatever their exact name is - I forget)
gave each employee a Ball jar full of them on the 10th Anniversary of supplying
the Mint with planchets. Many others got out of the back door of several
suppliers and many got out of the back door of non-suppliers that simply
produced sample pieces in an effort to gain a contract from the Mint. The
sample pieces from non-suppliers, are indistinguishable from the pieces the
Mint now uses as far as I can tell.
The unplated zinc blanks (with and without raised rim) and the copper plated
planchets are worth about $5 for the complete set of all three.
Ken Potter Box760232 Lathrup Vlg MI 48076 (313)255-8907.Numismatist Since1959
Serving Collectors Since1973. Variety Coin Register Exam/Listing Service®.
CONECA,SDDCA, LCS, ANA,NLG,MSNS,NWDCC. http://www.uscents.com/potter/

Matthew Walenski

Aug 29, 1999, 3:00:00 AM8/29/99
Ed Eubanks wrote:

Not that I'm thinking of changing it, but my parents really gave the short end of
the stick
as far as name games are concerned - not quite as badly as one name I saw in NY,
as Miss
Yum Yum Toy.

hung out to dry at the laundro-Matt,

Matt

bigg...@computech-online.net

Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99

> When anyone asks, I say "Of course it is a 1909s VDB, prove it isn't" :)

All 1909s VDBs know the secret handshake. Does your coin know the secret
handshake? :)

bigg...@computech-online.net

Sep 12, 1999, 3:00:00 AM9/12/99

> (and sorry- no world cruise this time as another group member
> likes to say). -Steve

Darn. And here you could have been the Steve"ador"

<I've been reading too many of these cute comments......>