What's New at Classical Coins

Dave Welsh

Sep 12, 2009, 10:18:32 PM9/12/09

September 12, 2009

Since the last newsletter, many coins have been added to our online inventory

Coins Added

With this issue of "What's New" listing of 47 new ancient coins to the Classical Coins website, www.classicalcoins.com , is announced. To quickly review these new listings, visit http://www.classicalcoins.com/new.html.

This listing begins with Roman silver coinage of the Soldier Emperors, next featuring silver tetradrachms from the Seleukid Kingdom, and a large follis of the Byzantine Emperor Maurice Tiberius. It continues with an interesting selection of Roman Provincial bronzes from Antioch in Syria and other cities, several of which are quite scarce. It concludes with Greek bronze coins, including a rare issue of Ptolemy I of Chalkis.

Many collectors don't seem to realize that there is much more to Classical Coins than what appears on our New Listings and Premier Coins pages. We encourage you to explore the entire site, where hundreds of other attractive coins await your perusal. We have been so busy that previous listings have not been repriced to the current market, and many bargains remain to be found. If a coin you are searching for is not listed, that does not mean that we don't have it. We always have a large inventory of coins and numismatic literature not yet listed for sale, and will gladly help customers fill want lists, or locate difficult to find coins. For assistance, telephone us at 805-562-8619 or send an email to ser...@classicalcoins.com .

Don't forget to visit our VCoins store, located at http://www.vcoins.com/ancient/classicalcoins/store , where you will find a different stock of fine ancient coins, to which new listings have recently been added.

Readers should also be aware that we sell numismatic literature. These listings may be found at http://www.classicalcoins.com/usedbooks.html

The Cultural Property War

The ACCG continues to seek information about behind-the-scenes import restrictions decision making in its ongoing Freedom of Information Act lawsuit against the State Department.  Every new round of discoveries and disclosures brings out further evidence supporting the ACCG's long standing suspicions of anticollecting bias and possible official misconduct on the part of  State Department officials responsible for administering the US response to the 1970 UNESCO Convention. It is becoming increasingly obvious that the actual reason for obsessive State Department secrecy regarding these decisions is fear of revelations that would result in embarrassment and possible charges of official misconduct.

The FOIA lawsuit is phase one of a coordinated initiative to challenge import restrictions on ancient coins. The trial is now in the hands of the judge, whose verdict is awaited.

The Ancient Coin Collectors Guild is the only organization actively defending the rights of collectors against the steady and insidious encroachment of legislation and regulations aimed at restricting and perhaps eventually banning private collecting. This is an expensive process, both in terms of the time donated by our volunteer staff and the funds required to pursue legal action. I urge every reader to join the ACCG [ http://www.accg.us/  ] and to contribute generously toward this worthy cause.

You may also wish to visit my blog [ http://classicalcoins.blogspot.com/ ] . Much of its content relates to cultural property law. The development of the dispute between collectors and the US State Department may be traced in these posts.

Best regards,

Dave Welsh

Classical Coins