Mo Vaughn

Bill Menard

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
Anyone have an opinion on what Mo Vaughn is doing?

From what I can understand, this jerk has no intentions of signing with
Boston. It seems that all he wanted to do was milk the Sox to give him
there best offer so he could see what his market value would be. That's
fine, but what an ass... 12 MILLION dollars a year for 5 years, and he
can't be happy with that?

I don't care if he has problems with maybe the GM or someone else in the
higher up... For 12 MILLION, I don't understand why you can't make due
with your differences with management! He got along with players and
coaches, and the FANS! Boston has supported this guy and given him such
praise. People respected him and admired his ability to spark and lead
the sox. The city of Boston has been very good to Mo Vaughn, and now,
it seems once again, greed will pull a player from a town that loves to
have him on their team. It makes me mad that someone really thinks
their "worth" is so great that they can walk away from 12 million
dollars a year (and it's not even a year ~ it's six months, probably
like $200.00 for ever pitch that is thrown to him!) That is ridiculous,
but we offered it, and he has the nerve to walk away and say it's time
to say goodbye to Boston...

Well then, goodbye to you, Mr. Mo Greedy Vaughn. I hope you swing and
miss at every pitch next season and you make 162 errors in the field.

Just so I don't get flamed for jumping off the card topic, I think it's
to bad for those of you who have followed Mo, tracked his cards down
with great tenacity and now, his red sox uniformed cards should be
burned.

Anyone shed some light on this guys thought process...?

Bill
P.S. So I guess you all know I am a Sox fan, eh?

TheDUDE@TheWaterCooler

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98

I hope he does go to another team, but i only want him to go cuz i'm a
Yankees fan.

If he does go it might help his cards, cuz they'll be people from the
Boston area that will still collect him plus new collectors from where
ever he goes next.

I think he's doing this, cuz he wants repect and wants to show the sox
that he's just as good or better than Griffey, Belle, Thomas, Sosa,
A-Rod, ect... Almost the same thing is going on with Bernie Williams and
the Yankees, but i don't think Bernie is asking for that much.

But anyway, i understand your pain, like i said me and my team is going
through the same thing with Bernie.:>

--
"I haven't seen a beating like that since someone stuck a banana in my
pants and let loose a monkey"
|~~~~~~| "Hey DUDE! Don't drink all the water"
| |
\ /
========
" "
" @ "
" 8 "
" "
========
H H
H H
V V

Ike A Newton IV

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98

I guess you don't understand. It's not the money. Mo Vaughn actually wants
to spend the rest of his career in Boston and retire there. He wanted a
long term deal with a no trade clause which Boston refused to grant him.
He was even willing to take less money.

Mike Remmerde

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98
Bill Menard <w...@nh.ultranet.com> wrote:

[rant snipped]

> Bill
> P.S. So I guess you all know I am a Sox fan, eh?

Hehe...and you know us Angels fans are loving it. Finally we're getting
our revenge for the 1986 ALCS! =)

--
Mike Remmerde
Vancouver, Washington

Thomas

Nov 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/12/98

TheDUDE@TheWaterCooler wrote:

> Bill Menard wrote:
> >
> > Anyone have an opinion on what Mo Vaughn is doing?
> >
> > From what I can understand, this jerk has no intentions of signing with
> > Boston. It seems that all he wanted to do was milk the Sox to give him
> > there best offer so he could see what his market value would be. That's
> > fine, but what an ass... 12 MILLION dollars a year for 5 years, and he
> > can't be happy with that?
> >
> > I don't care if he has problems with maybe the GM or someone else in the
> > higher up... For 12 MILLION, I don't understand why you can't make due
> > with your differences with management! He got along with players and
> > coaches, and the FANS! Boston has supported this guy and given him such
> > praise. People respected him and admired his ability to spark and lead
> > the sox. The city of Boston has been very good to Mo Vaughn,

Ahem..

How can you say this with a straight face?

You seem to be forgetting about all the signs people kept holding up at games,
calling him a crybaby, telling him to leave, etc...

Frankly, when I heard that he even talked with management in Boston after the
way he had been treated by management and fans, I was shocked.

I love Mo, and I hope that he gets all your hopes up, then dashes off to teh
Yanks, then beats you in the playoffs.

-Thomas

Thomas White

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Mike Remmerde <h...@pacifier.com> wrote:
> Bill Menard <w...@nh.ultranet.com> wrote:

> [rant snipped]

>> Bill
>> P.S. So I guess you all know I am a Sox fan, eh?

> Hehe...and you know us Angels fans are loving it. Finally we're getting
> our revenge for the 1986 ALCS! =)

Should Vaughn sign with Anaheim, you'll enjoy two productive
seasons (zero postseason appearances), followed by four increasingly
poor years with at least one half-season DL stay, and end up
praying for the end of the albatross that is the Vaughn contract.
Doesn't sound like much of a revenge, but SoCal tends to think
in unusual ways.

Oh, and do remember that all fans MUST show continual and earnest
"respect" (total obsequiousness seems to be what it takes) in order
to keep Vaughn inspired on the field. After all, it's not about the
money. Maybe a solid-gold statue in the bleachers will help.

Or Disney can make an animated film set in India with a clever
anthropomorphic sidekick cow named "Moo Von" and let Himself voice it.

As for 1986, Angels fans should have a bigger grudge against
the ousted incompetent Autry regime and the current dubious Disney
order for the demonstrated inability to break the fourth-longest
postseason drought in major league baseball.

Want Vaughn? Take him and the rookie cards he rode in on.

--
Thomas White %
Austin, TX % As pictured on the cover of Total Baseball V.

Shane Archer

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
On Thu, 12 Nov 1998 09:10:25 -0800, Bill Menard <w...@nh.ultranet.com>
wrote:

>Anyone have an opinion on what Mo Vaughn is doing?

Sort of.

>From what I can understand, this jerk has no intentions of signing with
>Boston. It seems that all he wanted to do was milk the Sox to give him
>there best offer so he could see what his market value would be. That's
>fine, but what an ass... 12 MILLION dollars a year for 5 years, and he
>can't be happy with that?

I don't know if I'd call him a jerk. He knows his fair market value,
which is one thing, BUT he has also made his intentions clear over the
past few seasons that he wanted a LONG TERM committment from the
Boston organization. He WANTED to finish his career with the same
team that he has been a huge part of for a long time. The problem?
The management wanted to do things their way, and never made him feel
like he was one of their "franchise players." For a guy playing on
the consistent level that Mo does, it's got to be a bit hard to see
similarly talented guys on other teams getting long-term deals with
no-trade clauses and whatnot, only to be snubbed in that regard by his
own organization. I can see why he would love to go somewhere else --
I hear a bunch of west coast teams are interested -- where he can get
that long-term deal, and the fan support, and everything else.

I, for one, think it's a smart move.

Shane
------
University of Wisconsin, Madison
Computer Sciences Department
Email me: archer @ cs wisc edu

Bill Menard

Nov 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/13/98
Thomas wrote:

> TheDUDE@TheWaterCooler wrote:

> > Bill Menard wrote:
> > >
> > > Anyone have an opinion on what Mo Vaughn is doing?
> > >
> > > From what I can understand, this jerk has no intentions of signing with
> > > Boston. It seems that all he wanted to do was milk the Sox to give him
> > > there best offer so he could see what his market value would be. That's
> > > fine, but what an ass... 12 MILLION dollars a year for 5 years, and he
> > > can't be happy with that?
> > >
> > > I don't care if he has problems with maybe the GM or someone else in the
> > > higher up... For 12 MILLION, I don't understand why you can't make due
> > > with your differences with management! He got along with players and
> > > coaches, and the FANS! Boston has supported this guy and given him such
> > > praise. People respected him and admired his ability to spark and lead
> > > the sox. The city of Boston has been very good to Mo Vaughn,
>
> Ahem..
>
> How can you say this with a straight face?
>
> You seem to be forgetting about all the signs people kept holding up at games,
> calling him a crybaby, telling him to leave, etc...
>
> Frankly, when I heard that he even talked with management in Boston after the
> way he had been treated by management and fans, I was shocked.
>
> I love Mo, and I hope that he gets all your hopes up, then dashes off to teh
> Yanks, then beats you in the playoffs.
>
> -Thomas

I think perhaps you are forgetting that the fans you are talking about
might represent 1% of the total fan base. I for one am a Sox supporter
and I appreciate the chances I got to go and see a player of Mo's
calibur perform on the field. I also appreciated the support and his
efforts within the community that took place OFF the field. I think it's
a shame we are losing him.

As you said you were surprised he was even willing to meet and talk with
Duquette, well, it seems he wasn't. He flat out said, goodbye once he
got the best offer. And, regardless, you won't EVER convince me it's
not about the money. People want to say "it's respect or knowing your
market value", well, hello, that's money. If respect is based on who Mo
Vaughn is as far as talent goes, and you compare him to say Bernie
Williams, yet pay him half of bernie's salary, then he is disrespected
right? Then it's because of MONEY... It always will be. I'm waiting
for the day baseball players become as greedy as basketball players, and
it doesn't seem to be that far away.

And a no trade clause? If Mo wants to finish off his career in Boston,
then he should be willing to stay there regardless of this. So I say
this with a very straight face and sincere disgust. If Mo wanted to
stay in Boston, then he should be willing to accept what he has been
offered, especially since it has been made clear it is the best the
organization can do. There are 25 other guys there to worry about as
well.

Bill

Jay Lee

Nov 19, 1998, 3:00:00 AM11/19/98

Bill Menard wrote:

> Just so I don't get flamed for jumping off the card topic, I think it's
> to bad for those of you who have followed Mo, tracked his cards down
> with great tenacity and now, his red sox uniformed cards should be
> burned.

Makes you smile at the deal the Astros did with Ken Caminati, huh? What
is it with Houston? They get all their guys back!! OH YEA. Go
Astros!! Let's get the Big Unit under contract and we'll be smoking...