Climbing in Central PA

Matt

Sep 20, 2006, 1:42:12 PM9/20/06
Hey,
Recently moved to Central PA and was wondering if anyone knows of gyms
or outdoor spots to go Climbing.
Matt

SG

Sep 20, 2006, 3:34:16 PM9/20/06
Where in central PA?

"Matt" <beansta...@aim.com> wrote in message

Matt

Sep 20, 2006, 4:13:49 PM9/20/06

SG wrote:
> Where in central PA

Spring Mills, near State College.
I am fairly new to climbing and would like to find a gym or group of
people to climb with to learn more.

SG

Sep 21, 2006, 10:10:30 AM9/21/06
No gyms that I know of in State College, which I find odd.

Goto rockclimbingdotcom and check out their data base on routes. Nothing
stellar but certainly enough natural stone for a beginner to cut their teeth
on. Bouldering isn't bad Hunter & Bear Mtns in the State College area
offer plenty of stone to play on. I'm not sure of the acess issues at
Bellefonte or Donation rocks but start asking around. Penn State Outting
Club would be the place to start. Also check-out www.hikebikeclimb.net

SG

David Collins

Sep 21, 2006, 11:58:09 AM9/21/06
Just moved out of the area (from Lewisburg), otherwise I could show you
around. The nearest gym is probably the one at Beaver Springs (near
Middleburg):

http://www.maccatbeaversprings.org/

There is also a small gym in Williamsport at Dynamats.

There are a few routes at Coburn. Access at Donation seems problematic.
Information is available at:

http://www.c3pa.org/

Not sure about Bellefonte, but if you can get the guidebook, it is
hilarious.

There is some adequate outdoors climbing in the vicinity of
Wilkes-Barre, particularly near Mocanaqua. Otherwise there are a few
outcroppings here and there; Scott described some of the others.

david Collins

Matt

Sep 22, 2006, 8:30:53 PM9/22/06
Alrighty, thanks for the help. I actually found that the ymca has a
fairly nice wall so I have been going there. And planning to go to
coburn soon.
thanks
matt