How not to pick up chicks in the gym (a small rant)

Sue

Jul 11, 2001, 5:29:10 PM7/11/01
(A kind of a ranting TR).

The scene: Last night. My local plastic palace. I雋 in a foul mood.
The boy (my boy) is due back from a Bolivian climbing trip tonight.
He零 been there for ages. Its his 4th trip to South America, but the
first one since we靶e been hanging out. It零 been a long several weeks.
No phone calls, brief sporadic emails. I expected that. No problemo.

But TODAY he零 finally coming home. Hurray. I buff the house, kick
the visiting brother, sister in law , niece and nephew out to Disney
for a couple of days, clear the work schedule, do some anticipatory
shopping, the exact nature of which does not need to be disclosed to
rec.climbing ;). Hurray Hurray Hurray. Flight is due at 9:30 PM.
Hurray Hurray Hurray.

6 PM check email. One from the boy. Is in Santa Cruz, Bolivia.
Airplane is broken. Not coming home tonight. Not sure when. Sometime
tomorrow, maybe. Stupid stupid airplane. Stupid stupid Bolivia.
Stupid stupid boy. I hate boys. I hate boys who climb and when I get
rid of this one I雋 never dating another one. Never never never.
Stupid stupid climber boys. Stupid stupid stupid. I雋 just a little
ray of sunshine, a happy smile on my cheerful face when I enter the
gym. All sweetness and light -that零 me. Now normally, I雋 an
extrovert and I like to talk to people. I don靖 mind helping people
out, and it sure as hell doesn靖 offend me when some guy hits on me.
I靶e met lots of strangers and then gone climbing with them. But not
tonight. I just want to climb with my partner and go home and kick a
dog if I had one (Brent can I borrow yours?). Stupid stupid stupid
boys.

I雋 putting on my shoes to go work out some aggression on the crack
over on the far wall. Slippery dead vertical a bit wide in sections for
my feet and hands. The old school guys solo it at least when they can
get away with it. My boy usually climbs it up and down at least 4-5
times in a row at the end of the night. The rating varies depending on
who you talk to. - 5.9 OW for me. Some say 10. Whatever. It零 the gym.
Who cares. What I really want to do is leave on a climbing road trip.
RIGHT now.

Boy comes up to me. Never seen him here before. Poor boy. Bad idea.
Stupid stupid stupid boys. Asks about local crags. I say Santee for
bouldering, Woodson for cracks. Old school cracks. Short, hard,
splitter, fun. Not a destination crag but fun. Put up when men were
men. He says I雋 an old school kind of guy. I like that kind of stuff.
I don靖 say anything. I say of course Tahquitz for multipitch if yo
have a day to travel. Tah what he says? (hmm I think, old school?).
I say Tahquitz. You know the YDS. Used to be the Tahquitz decimal
system. Got imported to the Valley. Oh yeah he says. He says going to
climb the crack? Yeah I say. Do it every week. Says he did it last time
-a little greasy. Not that bad though. We agree.

I climb the crack. Come down. He零 hovering around. asks for a belay.
Why me I think? Why not my partner or any of the multitude of other
friendly people in the gym? Sure I say. Where are you from I ask?
****** (small town name withheld to protect the inept) he says. Oh do
you know my friend XXX (name brand climber residing in ******)? Nope.
(hmm I think). So what are you doing in ****** I ask? He trots out
his profession like I雋 supposed to swoon. (hmm I think, not swooning),
Then he proceeds to whine, curse, flail and hang all over the crack
for 20 min. Climbed it 2 days ago did you? I think. Old school?, I
think. Yeah right. Stupid stupid stupid boys. Stupid stupid stupid.

In summary; How not to pick up chicks. In the gym.
Ignore glowering face and body language of someone who doesn靖 want to
be social.
Ignore all males in gym.
Claim to be old school and then not be able to deliver on knowledge.
Act like you can cruise something and then flail. Say bad words while
you flail. Make excuses. Cheat (use holds on adjacent climb).

Not that there is anything wrong with cheating whining and hanging in
of itself. I can cheat, whine, and hang with the best of them. To
quote my new partner Tom, as I was hanging from Jaws (slightly
overhanging 11 crack w/ fingerlocks at woodson) after cheating the
first move, and whining pathetically. "Cheating, whining, and hanging.
That零 a triumverate. I think you雹e ready for sport climbing". But I
don靖 cheat whine and hang while proclaiming my burly manliness.

And now that I靶e offended all the men, and all of the sport climbers
in the group I think I雍l go home and kick the dog. Stupid stupid
stupid boys. Stupid stupid stupid.

Batten

Jul 11, 2001, 6:06:56 PM7/11/01
In article <110720011429109365%shopkin...@ucsd.edu>,
shopkin...@ucsd.edu says...

>(A kind of a ranting TR).
> Whine, Whine, Whine,

Sounds like you need a real man. A few questions.

What do you look like in a bathing suit? What level trad do you second?
Are you younger than 25? Can you send jpgs?

Peace and Love

Batten

Mike Garrison

Jul 11, 2001, 6:17:58 PM7/11/01
Sue wrote:

> "Cheating, whining, and hanging.
> Thatıs a triumverate. I think youıre ready for sport climbing". But I
> donıt cheat whine and hang while proclaiming my burly manliness.

So what do you do while proclaiming your burly manliness?
(It had to be asked.)

Good luck with the airplane situation. Just tell yourself,
"At least they found the problem while they were still on
the ground." Though if you were really mad at the boy....

-Mike "expert at not picking up chicks just about anyplace"

Rourke McNamara

Jul 11, 2001, 6:55:32 PM7/11/01
Mike Garrison <mike.g...@boeing.com> wrote:

> -Mike "expert at not picking up chicks just about anyplace"

I'll bet I'm even better than you at that!

(hey, you gotta be good at something...)

Mad Dog

Jul 11, 2001, 6:39:32 PM7/11/01
Sue says...

In the first place, Sue, you're not a chick. I've gazed into your eyes and I
know that much.

>And now that IÅ¡ve offended all the men, and all of the sport climbers
>in the group I think IÅ¡ll go home and kick the dog. Stupid stupid

>stupid boys. Stupid stupid stupid.

Now you offended all of the dogs out here.

Grant

Jul 11, 2001, 7:41:09 PM7/11/01
Batten wrote:

> What do you look like in a bathing suit? What level trad do you second?
> Are you younger than 25? Can you send jpgs?

I can answer that: 1) much better than your currrent girlfriend "Rosie",
2) Whatever her partner leads 3) does it really matter? her man doesn't
seem to care... 4) she could, but then she'd have to kill you.

Phil Box

Jul 11, 2001, 6:36:19 PM7/11/01

"Sue" <shopkin...@ucsd.edu> wrote in message

> (A kind of a ranting TR).

I loved it, I absolutely adore seeing inside of peoples heads and this
was particularly insightful at least from the perspective of the better half
of the species ( note to all, yes I am being very careful how I choose my
words, I don`t want to offend Sue as she appears to be in a delicate frame
of mind at the moment, not sure what gave me that idea, shrugs shoulders,
who can understand the mind of a woman).
Sue, you simply have to post a Tr of when he actually does get home and
yes we must hear of all the gory details of what went on down in Bolivia.
...Stupid Stupid Stupid Phil...

strom

Jul 11, 2001, 7:46:35 PM7/11/01
Very nice, I liked, and yep, ah yep, ah yep yep.
Here's to sweat in your eye

Dawn Alguard

Jul 11, 2001, 10:05:33 PM7/11/01
Sue <shopkin...@ucsd.edu> wrote

> (A kind of a ranting TR).

You write a great TR, Sue.

Dawn

Michael A. Riches

Jul 12, 2001, 1:22:27 AM7/12/01
in article 110720011429109365%shopkin...@ucsd.edu, Sue at
shopkin...@ucsd.edu wrote on 7/11/01 3:29 PM:

> And now that Iıve offended all the men, and all of the sport climbers
> in the group I think Iıll go home and kick the dog. Stupid stupid

> stupid boys. Stupid stupid stupid.

Kick...??? More like stick...I seem to remember a certain reference to an IV
needle the size of a large garden hose, lurking in the bottom of your
medkit...

Poooor dog...

Leave us small rodents outta this one,
That RatDhuuude...(LOL...)

Krishnan. N

Jul 12, 2001, 2:33:15 AM7/12/01
Mad Dog <mad6...@msn.com> wrote in message news:<9iikj...@drn.newsguy.com>...
> Sue says...

> >And now that IÅ¡ve offended all the men, and all of the sport climbers
> >in the group I think IÅ¡ll go home and kick the dog. Stupid stupid
> >stupid boys. Stupid stupid stupid.
>
> Now you offended all of the dogs out here.

Yeah, BIG mistake -- there are more of those here than any other.

krishnan

David Kastrup

Jul 12, 2001, 4:27:56 AM7/12/01

Mike> -Mike "expert at not picking up chicks just about anyplace"

Teflon factor. Good thing to have. They just glance off. When I
ride home from climbing in Isenberg after sunset, I have a passage
along the Ruhr river. You have to keep your mouth shut, your eyes
squinting, and your speed high enough so that you don't collect any
live gnats on your exposed body parts bombarded all the while
with clouds of the animals, feeling like a constant sleet drizzle.

So I can see you driving through a chicken farm, speed high enough
that the damn things don't get their claws into you, yet low enough
not to leave any ugly impressions or a bloodbath. Best luck in not
picking up those chicks, Colonel!

Email: David....@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de

Message has been deleted

Stella Hackell

Jul 12, 2001, 3:02:57 PM7/12/01
<shopkin...@ucsd.edu> wrote:

> I climb the crack. Come down. Heıs hovering around. asks for a belay.

> Why me I think? Why not my partner or any of the multitude of other
> friendly people in the gym? Sure I say.

Minor point: If you had said no, he would probably have left you alone
eventually.

>Where are you from I ask?

Minor point 2: Making conversation encourages them.

> In summary; How not to pick up chicks. In the gym.

> Ignore glowering face and body language of someone who doesnıt want to
> be social.

Well, to be fair, your agreeing to belay him and chatting with him
probably overrode the body language and glower.

Nice TR.

--
Stella Hackell ste...@ncal.verio.com

She who succeeds in gaining the mastery of the bicycle will gain the
mastery of life.
--Frances E. Willard, _How I Learned to Ride the Bicycle_

Julie

Jul 12, 2001, 3:23:20 PM7/12/01
Stella Hackell wrote:

> >Where are you from I ask?
>
> Minor point 2: Making conversation encourages them.

> Well, to be fair, your agreeing to belay him and chatting with him

> probably overrode the body language and glower.

So, I have a choice between being a snobby conceited cold < ... >, or being
stud-fodder because I've 'asked for it'?

JSH, neither, thanks.

Dingus Milktoast

Jul 12, 2001, 3:48:06 PM7/12/01
Stella Hackell wrote:

STELLA! STELLAAAAAA!

Obscure Seinfeld reference I bet you know!

DMT

Sue

Jul 12, 2001, 3:49:58 PM7/12/01
In article <stella-ya0231800...@news.apple.com>, Stella
Hackell <ste...@ncal.verio.com> wrote:

> > I climb the crack. Come down. Heąs hovering around. asks for a belay.

> > Why me I think? Why not my partner or any of the multitude of other
> > friendly people in the gym? Sure I say.
>

> Minor point: If you had said no, he would probably have left you alone
> eventually.

We'll believe it or not, I'm a nice person. Its crappy to be alone in a
strange city and be wanting to go climbing and not have a partner.
Being hit on isn't the end of the world. I don't care. Doesn't bother
me in the slightest.

This poor guy just picked the worse night to do it and did it in the
worse possible way. Dude made a lot of assumptions, he did. Like
assuming that if I said something was a bit difficult that he would
make it look easy because he's a guy.

San Diego can be a bad place to spray about being an old tyme hardman.
The gym was full of em that night. Some of the the local crack
climbers are pretty badass. I'm not one of them but I don't go whining
about how hard some 5.9 crack is.

> >Where are you from I ask?
>
> Minor point 2: Making conversation encourages them.

Again. I'm a nice human. I like men. Hell, some of my best friends
are men. What are you supposed to do? Be mean? Not my deal.

Sue

Jul 12, 2001, 3:53:23 PM7/12/01
In article <20010712101319...@ng-fm1.aol.com>, Gleshna
<gle...@aol.com> wrote:

> Sounds like there might be a market for:
>
> Women's Climbing Gym a subsidary of Women's Workout World...a place where
> babes can simply be people.

Not for me baby. I am a vain and shallow woman. I need the adoration
of the masses ;).

Besides what would I look at while my partner was haning all over their
latest project. Some 6 foot tall 5.13 climbing goddess. I don't
think so. Bring on the climbing gods.

Inez Drixelius

Jul 12, 2001, 3:55:24 PM7/12/01
ste...@ncal.verio.com (Stella Hackell) wrote:

> > I climb the crack. Come down. Heąs hovering around. asks for a belay.

> > Why me I think? Why not my partner or any of the multitude of other
> > friendly people in the gym? Sure I say.
>

> Minor point: If you had said no, he would probably have left you alone
> eventually.

Ah, the woes of pretty young things! I say, the day they no longer try to
pick you up is the day you should mourn.

Inez
Someone please whistle at me!

Dingus Milktoast

Jul 12, 2001, 4:22:27 PM7/12/01
Inez Drixelius wrote:

> Someone please whistle at me!

Hey Babe, that's a nice rack you have there.

DMT

Mike Garrison

Jul 12, 2001, 4:05:03 PM7/12/01
Julie wrote:

> So, I have a choice between being a snobby conceited cold < ... >, or being
> stud-fodder because I've 'asked for it'?

Until telepathy becomes common, we all face similar choices
all the time.

-Mike

Julie

Jul 12, 2001, 4:44:29 PM7/12/01
Mike Garrison wrote:

Of course. But to be fair: this type of 'logic' is MUCH more commonly applied
to one sex.

Think date-rape, or domestic violence - though those usually involve quite
lout-ish males, men who persistently hit on a chick, when it should be rather
obvious that it's unwelcome, aren't falling so far from that tree.

JSH

Rob Williams

Jul 12, 2001, 5:09:52 PM7/12/01
jnba...@yahoo.com (Batten) wrote in message news:<9iiim0$icev$1...@hades.csu.net>...

Funny. . I remember Russ posing these same questions to some other
female rec.climber a year or so ago.

Or was that Mad Dog asking Kellie McBee those questions?

Damn these brain cell infarctions.

Rob "looks horrible in a bathing suit"

Inez Drixelius

Jul 12, 2001, 5:01:00 PM7/12/01
In article <3B4E0C2C...@fu.bu.edu>, Julie <jh...@fu.bu.edu> wrote:

> Think date-rape, or domestic violence - though those usually involve quite
> lout-ish males, men who persistently hit on a chick, when it should be rather
> obvious that it's unwelcome, aren't falling so far from that tree.

Julie, you're too serious. What is the difference between hitting
persistently and working a sport route? After a 100 tries you finally get
to score.

Don't date rapes happen because bad guys know how to behave well and thus
they are able to lure the woman into that inescapable situation, usually
on the first date?

Inez

David Kastrup

Jul 12, 2001, 5:08:07 PM7/12/01

Inez> Ah, the woes of pretty young things! I say, the day they no
Inez> longer try to pick you up is the day you should mourn.

Inez> Inez Someone please whistle at me!

Pweeeeeeeeet.

Ptooey. Should have washed my hands after that slimy crack.

Grant

Jul 12, 2001, 5:12:55 PM7/12/01
Dingus Milktoast wrote:

Uhh, Dingus, you do know that it predates Seinfeld, yes?

G- Ahhve always depended upon the kindness of strangers...

Julie

Jul 12, 2001, 5:27:44 PM7/12/01
Inez Drixelius wrote:

> Julie <jh...@fu.bu.edu> wrote:
>
> > Think date-rape, or domestic violence - though those usually involve quite
> > lout-ish males, men who persistently hit on a chick, when it should be rather
> > obvious that it's unwelcome, aren't falling so far from that tree.
>
> Julie, you're too serious. What is the difference between hitting
> persistently and working a sport route? After a 100 tries you finally get
> to score.

Hah! ;-)

> Don't date rapes happen because bad guys know how to behave well and thus
> they are able to lure the woman into that inescapable situation, usually
> on the first date?

Stuff like that happens for a lot of different reasons. Common to all of them is
that some lout fails to understand a simple two-letter word.

Back to the original point, though - I'd like to think that I won't be 'blamed' for
some butt-head hitting on me, any and every facet of my looks/actions pointed to as
'she asked for it', rather than a spade called a spade.

JSH

Mike Garrison

Jul 12, 2001, 4:54:12 PM7/12/01

Seinfeld? Not Tennessee Williams?

-Mike

Phil Box

Jul 12, 2001, 4:40:28 PM7/12/01

"Inez Drixelius" <inez...@uclink4.berkeley.edu> wrote in message

> Ah, the woes of pretty young things! I say, the day they no longer try to
> pick you up is the day you should mourn.
>
> Inez
> Someone please whistle at me!

It`s story time boys and girls, now everyone sit around in a circle,
there you go that`s good, hey you over there stop it you`ll go blind. Dingus
leave Julie alone. Inez down in front. That`s better, tut tut, the younger
generation, now where was I, oh yeah. There was this group of blokes on a
construction site down in central New South Wales who would sit up on the
first floor slab and eat smoko and whistle at all the chicks passing by,
well some feminist bozo went to the equal opportunity anti discrimination
commission and complained about the harrassment of the said whistlers and
gained an injunction against said behaviour.

Now the guys hold up a certain number of fingers to indicate a score
sorta like at the olympics for each and every individual chick who happens
along. This really gets under their skin and the girls feel that the
previous status quo was much less discriminatory because at least everyone
got the same whistle but now the ugly ones get a low score and the honeys
get a high score. True story I kid you not.

Okay everybody back to it, get them flame throwers unholstered and start
hosing.

...Phil...

Tom Cikoski

Jul 12, 2001, 5:51:29 PM7/12/01

>Ah, the woes of pretty young things! I say, the day they no longer try to
>pick you up is the day you should mourn.

>Inez
>Someone please whistle at me!

In my experience, men go through four analogous stages
1) stud muffin
2) potential stalker
3) invisible
4) lovable geezer

You can gauge your progress by the reaction of female flight
attendants (FFA) when you fly.

Stud Muffin
I really was one once, from age 20 to 25 or so. You can recognize
this stage as follows. You make nice and crack jokes with the FFA
upon entry to the flight. Later in the flight she stops by *your*
seat and strikes up a gab fest. If this happens, hit, gently but
firmly. You may not spend the night alone.

Potential Stalker
Your making nice and cracking jokes meet with a nicely simulated
appearance of enjoyment. There's a look in the eyes which says
"I hope he's not on the make." I've never done so in this stage but
I suspect that if you hit too hard or often you may be met at
the plane by the boys in blue. This will be the last time that
your male sexuality is apparently acknowleged.

Invisible
You can make all the nice you want to no avail. You have joined the ranks
of "cargo" -- which, by the way, includes most of the female
passengers. You will notice that you do not register at all in
the FFA eyes. The fact that you are now at the height of your
knowledge of lovemaking is betrayed by the sag over your belt.
I regret to say that I'm in this stage now.

Loveable Geezer
As far as I can tell (I'm not there yet) the loveable geezer can
get away with almost anything because the inference is there that
there will be no final payoff. The loveable geezer has the aura of
innocent play and a limp dick. Interestingly, studies have shown that
sexual activity in both males and females can extend as long as life.

Money
It has been my observation (not experience) that great gobs of money
liberally strewn about can make the male of the species a stud muffin
indefinitely. Take heed, all.

With respect to the issue at hand, which is to say, stupid, stupid men,
I can only say that testosterone levels decrease over time but
stupidity never does.

--
( )_( )
\. ./

john r baker

Jul 12, 2001, 6:26:51 PM7/12/01

Sue wrote:

> In article <20010712101319...@ng-fm1.aol.com>, Gleshna
> <gle...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > Sounds like there might be a market for:
> >
> > Women's Climbing Gym a subsidary of Women's Workout World...a place where
> > babes can simply be people.
>
> Not for me baby. I am a vain and shallow woman. I need the adoration
> of the masses ;).

This whole thread re-inforces my natural tendency
to completely ignore women in the gym. Even if
they speak or smile first.

jb

Stella Hackell

Jul 12, 2001, 6:27:17 PM7/12/01
In article <3B4DFEF6...@midtown.net>, Dingus Milktoast
<crha...@midtown.net> wrote:

Seinfeld? Oh yeah, he wrote that play about Stanley and Blanche . . .

Stella Hackell

Jul 12, 2001, 6:26:47 PM7/12/01

No, of course that's not what I meant. But if you (general "you") don't want
someone hanging around you, chatting with them and asking them about
themselves isn't going to make them go away. In fact, it's a classic
case of sending a mixed message that could confuse any guy of average
intelligence. How does he know that you're continuing the conversation
only to avoid being rude, rather than because you like him?

It's not necessary to be a snobby whatever, either. There are many civil,
pleasant ways to say "no, thanks, but no."

A polite "No, I'd rather not belay you, I need to practice on this route"
(for example) would get the message across. Repeat if necessary.

Men need to understand that No means No, but women also need
to take responsibility for actually _saying_ No instead of expecting
their minds to be read.

Stella, old enough to have learned the hard way

Stella Hackell

Jul 12, 2001, 6:33:17 PM7/12/01
In article <3B4E164F...@fu.bu.edu>, Julie <jh...@fu.bu.edu> wrote:

> Inez Drixelius wrote:
>
> > Julie <jh...@fu.bu.edu> wrote:
> >
> > > Think date-rape, or domestic violence - though those usually involve quite
> > > lout-ish males, men who persistently hit on a chick, when it should
be rather
> > > obvious that it's unwelcome, aren't falling so far from that tree.
> >
> > Julie, you're too serious. What is the difference between hitting
> > persistently and working a sport route? After a 100 tries you finally get
> > to score.
>
> Hah! ;-)
>
> > Don't date rapes happen because bad guys know how to behave well and thus
> > they are able to lure the woman into that inescapable situation, usually
> > on the first date?
>
> Stuff like that happens for a lot of different reasons. Common to all of
them is
> that some lout fails to understand a simple two-letter word.

The original post wasn't about date-rape, just about a guy hitting on
someone.

And as I said elsewhere, if you never ever SAY the two-letter word or anything
like it, and simultaneously make friendly noises (chatting), it's not the
guy's fault if he doesn't realize that you want him to go away, is it?

I mean, let's say you really did like the guy and wanted him to keep
talking with you. You'd willingly agree to belay him and ask him where
he came from. Now, if you *don't* want to hang out with him, and
you agree to belay him and ask him where he came from, how do you
expect him to *know*?

I may be making way too much of this, but I also get pissed off
when anyone compares an unpleasant social situation to rape.
And when people complain because other people aren't reading
their minds.

Pat Caruthers

Jul 12, 2001, 6:57:59 PM7/12/01

> Well, to be fair, your agreeing to belay him and chatting with him
> probably overrode the body language and glower.

letting mere words distract you from the message of the body language
is a really good way to end up as the tiger's lunch.

y'know,
i don't think that the males of the world are so generally stupid that
they can't learn to pay a attention to a few more cues than the words
mere politeness would have us use. This isn't mind reading.
If they applied half the energy to this problem as they do to
what piece of pro to place they'd have it solved in no time.

pat
(i also can't believe that sue's rant got taken this "seriously"!!)

Pat Caruthers

Jul 12, 2001, 6:52:42 PM7/12/01

Sue wrote:

> (A kind of a ranting TR).

> In summary; How not to pick up chicks. In the gym.

> Ignore glowering face and body language of someone who doesnšt want to
> be social.
> Ignore all males in gym.
> Claim to be old school and then not be able to deliver on knowledge.
> Act like you can cruise something and then flail. Say bad words while
> you flail. Make excuses. Cheat (use holds on adjacent climb).

the good news is that when they are that stupid stupid stupid
they stand a smaller chance of reproducing.

pat

Hardman Knott

Jul 12, 2001, 7:08:23 PM7/12/01
Jeff is back, but not quite Batten any home runs:

> Sounds like you need a real man. A few questions.
>
> What do you look like in a bathing suit?

Not sure about that, but I thought she was pretty cute at J-Tree.
And the fact that she's a DR. X2 made me all warm and fuzzy inside.
But alas, she had a young boy-toy to play with.

>What level trad do you second?

I'd be more concerned about you could follow *her*...

Hardman Knott

Hardman Knott

Jul 12, 2001, 7:08:31 PM7/12/01

I'd be more concerned about whether you could follow *her*...

Hardman Knott

Adrian MacNair

Jul 12, 2001, 7:09:14 PM7/12/01
"john r baker" <jrb...@west.raytheoff.com> wrote in message

> This whole thread re-inforces my natural tendency
> to completely ignore women in the gym. Even if
> they speak or smile first.

I'll approach anyone in the gym who is in the bouldering section and ask
them if I can try their problem. Then I teach them a few of my problems and
before you know it we are friends. The fact is that 99% of the bouldering
people are men, for some reason, and the women are usually just warming up
before they go do routes. For this reason, and also so as not to run into
some chick who thinks I want her, I haven't made any female friends at the
gym.

Mike Garrison

Jul 12, 2001, 7:10:59 PM7/12/01
Tom Cikoski wrote:

> Money
> It has been my observation (not experience) that great gobs of money
> liberally strewn about can make the male of the species a stud muffin
> indefinitely. Take heed, all.

"Power is the ultimate aphrodisiac." -- Kissenger

-Mike

Mike Garrison

Jul 12, 2001, 7:21:57 PM7/12/01
Julie wrote:

> Of course. But to be fair: this type of 'logic' is MUCH more commonly applied
> to one sex.

Women have to choose between trying to be nice to the guy
and getting pestered to death (or nausea), or cutting him
dead and being thought to be stuck up and cruel.

Guys have to choose between obviously hitting on the gal and
being thought an idiot slimeball, or just acting casual and
friendly and never letting her know you are interested,
never to see her again.

It's not easy on either side of the fence.

Face it, some people are better at playing the game than
others. And some are just more attractive, so they don't
have to be good at playing the game.

Somehow I think this thread is about to morph over into
Slime's "you have to take a few falls in order to grow to
your potential as a leader".

-Mike

Mike Garrison

Jul 12, 2001, 8:02:40 PM7/12/01
Pat Caruthers wrote:

> (i also can't believe that sue's rant got taken this "seriously"!!)

As opposed to what, another pointless troll by Batten?
Another argument about exactly what constitutes a
mauve-point? Sue's post was entertaining and human. No
wonder it got such enthusiastic response.

-Mike

Mike Garrison

Jul 12, 2001, 8:09:28 PM7/12/01
Julie wrote:

> Inez Drixelius wrote:
>
> > Don't date rapes happen because bad guys know how to behave well and thus
> > they are able to lure the woman into that inescapable situation, usually
> > on the first date?
>
> Stuff like that happens for a lot of different reasons. Common to all of them is
> that some lout fails to understand a simple two-letter word.

I'm not sure understanding is the issue, eh? Isn't it more
the action than the understanding which is important?

-Mike

Mike Garrison

Jul 12, 2001, 8:13:48 PM7/12/01
Stella Hackell wrote:

> I may be making way too much of this, but I also get pissed off
> when anyone compares an unpleasant social situation to rape.
> And when people complain because other people aren't reading
> their minds.

I'm not sure Sue was really complaining because this guy
didn't read her mind. I think she was just complaining
because it is nice to complain when you are frustrated. And
she did so with style, too.

Either that or she is having those "feminine troubles"....

-Mike

Sue

Jul 12, 2001, 8:38:57 PM7/12/01
In article <3B4E2B77...@aratar.com>, Pat Caruthers <p...@aratar.com> wrote:

> pat
> (i also can't believe that sue's rant got taken this "seriously"!!)

yeah neither can I. I apologize to the newsgroup. This is absurd.
I can't believe I started this thread. YUK

Travis C. Brooks

Jul 12, 2001, 8:31:39 PM7/12/01
On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, john r baker wrote:
> This whole thread re-inforces my natural tendency
> to completely ignore women in the gym. Even if
> they speak or smile first.

Well, you notice the title was "How not to pick up chicks in the gym" not
"Do not pick up checks in the gym." From Sue's description it wasn't the
fact of him hitting on her that was the worst part, it was the fact that
he did it in such a naive and clueless manner. If one pays any attention
to most female behavior, one learns real quick not to do the things he
did. Learning what _to_ do is, generally, much harder. If fact, it seems
incumbent on our female compatriots to start a second thread: "How to pick
up chicks in the gym." Of course, I doubt anyone would be willing to give
up the secret, lest they be kicked out of the sisterhood...

Avoiding women surely isn't the key, at least not for me. I find them
almost always more interesting to talk to than men, and I'm not even
trying to pick them up. So my hat's off to Sue, for being friendly and
open, after all that's how we make old friends, and just remember that
there are guys out there who like to chat without trying to pick you up.

Later
Travis

Mad Dog

Jul 12, 2001, 7:22:58 PM7/12/01
spli...@panix.com says...

>Stud Muffin
>I really was one once, from age 20 to 25 or so

Oh gawd, you're makin' me laugh.

>With respect to the issue at hand, which is to say, stupid, stupid men,
>I can only say that testosterone levels decrease over time

You need to learn the ways of the Tao.

Pat Caruthers

Jul 12, 2001, 8:40:33 PM7/12/01

Sue wrote:

> In article <3B4E2B77...@aratar.com>, Pat Caruthers <p...@aratar.com> wrote:
>

> > pat
> > (i also can't believe that sue's rant got taken this "seriously"!!)
>
> yeah neither can I. I apologize to the newsgroup.

nah, don't do that!
it was a great TR.

pat

Scott M. Grimes

Jul 13, 2001, 12:40:08 AM7/13/01
(Inez Drixelius) writes:
> >Ah, the woes of pretty young things! I say, the day they no longer try
> >pick you up is the day you should mourn.

> >Someone please whistle at me!

Hey baby what-ya doin' tonight.

"Tom Cikoski" > wrote
> Invisible

> The fact that you are now at the height of your
> knowledge of lovemaking is betrayed by the sag over your belt.
> I regret to say that I'm in this stage now.

Ah yes the dreaded _dicky-do desease.

Cheers,

SMG

Melissa

Jul 12, 2001, 9:27:58 PM7/12/01
> >Mike Garrison wrote...

> Somehow I think this thread is about to morph over into
> Slime's "you have to take a few falls in order to grow to
> your potential as a leader".

I just wrote a follow up to that effect and abandoned it. How funny that you
thought the same thing! I'll add his T.S. Elliot quote..."Only those who risk going
too far learn how far they can go." I really appreciated this advice with respect
to climbing at my limit although I'm not sure I'm into walking "the knife's edge" to
acheive beefcake nirvana at the gym. Dignity injuries are a bitch.

I think that if you (genericly speaking) are brazen enough to hit on a total
stranger at the gym, you should have your rejection radar set on extra sensitive,
and get lost at the first negative vibe. Think of it as knowing when to down-climb
to avoid a fall or to make an inevitable fall shorter when you are run-out,
off-route, and climbing higher is not an option.

Melissa

Mad Dog

Jul 12, 2001, 9:07:13 PM7/12/01
Pat says...

>the good news is that when they are that stupid stupid stupid
>they stand a smaller chance of reproducing.

Unfortunately, Pat, that simply ain't true. It seems that for every stupid,
stupid, stupid guy, there are enough stupid women to allow the stupid cubed man
to reproduce. And whereas an intellegent man might choose to keep the number of
his offspring to a minimum in these times of global overcrowding, the stupid
cubed man seems on the path of the reproductive grail. I'm no disciple of
Shockley, but some of his hypotheses appear to be correct if one substitutes
stupidity for race.

Mad Dog

Jul 12, 2001, 8:58:35 PM7/12/01
Hardman says...

> I'd be more concerned about you could follow *her*...

OK, reality check. It's cool to bash Batten according to most of you but I've
read what Sue has had to say about her leading. She's not into big numbers.
Batten has lead some pretty hard trad stuff and if my memory serves me, he's a
decent highball boulderer.

As in, colorful hypothesis, but wrong when the details of reality are applied.

Jay Tanzman

Jul 12, 2001, 10:12:59 PM7/12/01
Mike Garrison wrote:

> I'm not sure Sue was really complaining because this guy
> didn't read her mind.

Women don't complain when we can't read their minds. They get quiet and expect
us to understand that they're upset that we can't read their mind.

-Jay

Mad Dog

Jul 12, 2001, 9:45:07 PM7/12/01
Travis says...

>If fact, it seems incumbent on our female compatriots to start a second
>thread: "How to pick up chicks in the gym." Of course, I doubt anyone
>would be willing to give up the secret, lest they be kicked out of
>the sisterhood...

Therein lies the flaw in your logic. You imply there is a singular secret, and
to do so effectively stereotypes women as a whole. No way, dude.

tom donnelly

Jul 12, 2001, 10:17:08 PM7/12/01
Melissa wrote:

> > >Mike Garrison wrote...
> >
> > Somehow I think this thread is about to morph over into
> > Slime's "you have to take a few falls in order to grow to
> > your potential as a leader".
>
> I just wrote a follow up to that effect and abandoned it. How funny that you
> thought the same thing!

Ha,
Russ' TR reminded me of the same type of situation a week or two ago -
I was writing my oopinion of chalk, but Mr. Wyde beat me to the punchline -
... > when they pry it off my cold white dry hands.

slow on the draw (breathed too much chalk)

Mad Dog

Jul 12, 2001, 9:53:00 PM7/12/01
Pat says...

>Sue wrote:

>>Pat Caruthers wrote:

>>>(i also can't believe that sue's rant got taken this "seriously"!!)

>>yeah neither can I. I apologize to the newsgroup.

>nah, don't do that!
>it was a great TR.

Whereas I see no need for Sue to apologize for her post (it conveyed well the
envoronment of the gym), I disagree that it was a great trip report. Come on
now... I can think back to so many great trip reports that evoked the freedom,
power and vitality of climbing. I can hardly equate the story of a wannabe
hitting on a stressed out woman in a gym with those works of art. I'm glad Sue
posted it because it is a sign of our times, but lets keep our standards from
slipping, Pat.

Karl Baba

Jul 12, 2001, 10:03:19 PM7/12/01
Well, wait just a minute, I'm not sure this is really true: You
obviously have never had to be a cheezy guy scamming for attention:

<shopkin...@ucsd.edu> wrote:

> In summary; How not to pick up chicks. In the gym.
> Ignore glowering face and body language of someone who doesnšt want to
> be social.

The Lounge Lizard manual says that glowering women are the best
targets. Most vulnerable to a sensitive guy who will listen to her
problems without judgement. Happy women could give a shit about some
loser in the gym!

> Ignore all males in gym.
> Claim to be old school and then not be able to deliver on knowledge.
> Act like you can cruise something and then flail. Say bad words while
> you flail. Make excuses. Cheat (use holds on adjacent climb).

Making the woman feel superior isn't the worst strategy a guy could
come up with.

Guys can be sleazy or just lonely. A guy who might be horney and
desparate to pick up somebody often turns into the needy guy who wants
a relationship! The good thing about the guys who are obvious about it
is that you can notice what's up and choose your poison. Who you have
to watch out for is the one who reads the aphorisms of Frank Zappa:

Find her, find her, sneak up behind her, act like a dummy until you
finallly grind her!

Just talking Smack

Karl

--
Guide Guy
http://member.newsguy.com/~climbing/

Mike Garrison

Jul 12, 2001, 11:01:39 PM7/12/01
Melissa wrote:

> I think that if you (genericly speaking) are brazen enough to hit on a total
> stranger at the gym, you should have your rejection radar set on extra sensitive,
> and get lost at the first negative vibe. Think of it as knowing when to down-climb
> to avoid a fall or to make an inevitable fall shorter when you are run-out,
> off-route, and climbing higher is not an option.

Excellent!

Hey, do you have a boyfriend...?

-Mike "just kidding, SF is too far away"

Mike Garrison

Jul 12, 2001, 11:08:28 PM7/12/01

Ah, the "marching morons" theory. Kornbluth was writing
about that one in 1951.

-Mike

Mad Dog

Jul 12, 2001, 10:43:59 PM7/12/01
Karl says...

>Who you have to watch out for is the one who reads the aphorisms of
>Frank Zappa:

>Find her, find her, sneak up behind her, act like a dummy until you
>finallly grind her!

Careful! With that kind of logic, you might wind up workin' in a gas station.

Mad "the universe is nowhere to start" Dog

Michael A. Riches

Jul 13, 2001, 12:21:28 AM7/13/01
in article 3B4E3AA0...@boeing.com, Mike Garrison at
mike.g...@boeing.com wrote on 7/12/01 6:02 PM:

> As opposed to what, another pointless troll by Batten?
> Another argument about exactly what constitutes a
> mauve-point? Sue's post was entertaining and human. No
> wonder it got such enthusiastic response.
>
> -Mike

Not only that, but we know Dr. Sue to be a "Real", warm blooded, lovable
person...Not some internet pseudo-adolescent, looking to stir up some shit.

Hope you didn't pull that 12 gauge out on that poor unsuspecting lad and
make him wet himself...(that would have been quite the sight...snicker...)

Anyway, ramble off...we now return you to your previously scheduled flame
fest...

Ratz....

Michael A. Riches

Jul 13, 2001, 12:31:10 AM7/13/01
in article 3B4E4381...@aratar.com, Pat Caruthers at p...@aratar.com
wrote on 7/12/01 6:40 PM:

Second that...

The Rat...

Michael A. Riches

Jul 13, 2001, 12:48:02 AM7/13/01
in article 9ilk9...@drn.newsguy.com, Mad Dog at mad6...@msn.com wrote on
7/12/01 7:53 PM:

> I can think back to so many great trip reports that evoked the freedom,
> power and vitality of climbing.

True...

> I can hardly equate the story of a wannabe
> hitting on a stressed out woman in a gym with those works of art.

Maybe not art...but it was fun, I can relate (from the wannabe's view
point...) though, so as threads go, maybe it's not the pictorial trip report
of the century....but it certainly ain't "Can't let go" either...

Sue...hope the boy toy makes it back soooon...sounds like you need a
diversion...(Snicker...)

The Rat...

Karl Baba

Jul 13, 2001, 2:32:18 AM7/13/01
I think this is well spoken and perfectly true, however:

1. There are some folks who thrive on having epics

2. This radar thing you are tawking about is actually called "Babe-Dar"
and it has several calibrations. While living in relative isolation I
set mine on hair trigger but when I get somewhere frequented by women,
I have to recalibrate so it doesn't fire off all the time.

Since I have a girlfriend, I haven't messed with the rejection settings
much, but I notice that folks who get the rejection vibe constantly
tend to calibrate their Babe-dar so the rejection light isn't flashing
at them incessantly, leading to mistakes like Sue wrote about.

I had a friend who point blank told somebody (happened to be a woman)
that she talked too much. She then went on and on about how she liked
to talk and how cute he was and yada, yada. Again, a calibration
mismatch

We humans are all freaks

Karl

> Melissa wrote:
> >
> > I think that if you (genericly speaking) are brazen enough to hit on a total
> > stranger at the gym, you should have your rejection radar set on extra
> > sensitive,
> > and get lost at the first negative vibe. Think of it as knowing when to
> > down-climb
> > to avoid a fall or to make an inevitable fall shorter when you are run-out,
> > off-route, and climbing higher is not an option.

--
Guide Guy
http://member.newsguy.com/~climbing/

juli...@nmsu.edu

Jul 13, 2001, 3:32:02 AM7/13/01

On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, Travis C. Brooks wrote:

> On Thu, 12 Jul 2001, john r baker wrote:
> > This whole thread re-inforces my natural tendency
> > to completely ignore women in the gym. Even if
> > they speak or smile first.
> >

> Well, you notice the title was "How not to pick up chicks in the gym" not
> "Do not pick up checks in the gym." From Sue's description it wasn't the
> fact of him hitting on her that was the worst part, it was the fact that
> he did it in such a naive and clueless manner. If one pays any attention
> to most female behavior, one learns real quick not to do the things he
> did. Learning what _to_ do is, generally, much harder. If fact, it seems
> incumbent on our female compatriots to start a second thread: "How to pick
> up chicks in the gym." Of course, I doubt anyone would be willing to give
> up the secret, lest they be kicked out of the sisterhood...
>
> Avoiding women surely isn't the key, at least not for me. I find them
> almost always more interesting to talk to than men, and I'm not even
> trying to pick them up.

Hmmm...sounds like yer trying to pick up on chicks here. Always more
interesting to talk to than men? Ya sexist!

Frank

Jul 13, 2001, 6:19:40 AM7/13/01
Sue 12070117...@shopkins.extern.ucsd.edu>...

^ I apologize to the newsgroup. This is absurd.
^ I can't believe I started this thread. YUK

No, the newsgroup should be apologizing to you for its absurdities. Your
message was well stated and your frustration warranted. It was even related
to climbing. This "thread" is not the result of your message, it is the
result of a social problem that many people here share and is unrelated to
your message.

Frank

David Kastrup

Jul 13, 2001, 6:54:46 AM7/13/01

Sue> In article <20010712101319...@ng-fm1.aol.com>,
Sue> Gleshna
Sue> <gle...@aol.com> wrote:

>> Sounds like there might be a market for:
>>
>> Women's Climbing Gym a subsidary of Women's Workout World...a
>> place where babes can simply be people.

Sue> Not for me baby. I am a vain and shallow woman. I need the
Sue> adoration of the masses ;).

Does that mean that I should take my T-shirt off when climbing so that
female spectators can actually see the masses adoring them?

Email: David....@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de

David Kastrup

Jul 13, 2001, 6:54:45 AM7/13/01

Mike> Stella Hackell wrote:
>> I may be making way too much of this, but I also get pissed
>> off when anyone compares an unpleasant social situation to
>> rape. And when people complain because other people aren't
>> reading their minds.

Mike> I'm not sure Sue was really complaining because this guy
Mike> didn't read her mind.

With all due fear for flames, but isn't one of the more common female
complaints that someone is not reading her mind? Particularly when it
has not been made up? And/Or when there are other reasons not under
rational control for being touchy?

Anybody know the "you decide honey, I don't really care. As long as I
get to complain afterwards" game?

Hmmm. Perhaps should have changed that subject line to "how not to
pick up chicks in newsgroups" for this post...

David Kastrup

Jul 13, 2001, 6:54:47 AM7/13/01

Karl> In article <110720011429109365%shopkin...@ucsd.edu>, Sue
Karl> <shopkin...@ucsd.edu> wrote:

>> Ignore all males in gym. Claim to be old school and then not
>> be able to deliver on knowledge. Act like you can cruise
>> something and then flail. Say bad words while you flail. Make
>> excuses. Cheat (use holds on adjacent climb).

Karl> Making the woman feel superior isn't the worst strategy a
Karl> guy could come up with.

Dangerous. In particular, I think it wiser to put more humility into
your words than into your acts. Women are usually more willing to
look up to someone than to be put down explicitly.

David Kastrup

Jul 13, 2001, 6:54:46 AM7/13/01

Pat> Sue wrote:
>> (A kind of a ranting TR).

>> In summary; How not to pick up chicks. In the gym. Ignore
>> glowering face and body language of someone who doesnšt want to

>> be social. Ignore all males in gym. Claim to be old school

>> and then not be able to deliver on knowledge. Act like you can
>> cruise something and then flail. Say bad words while you
>> flail. Make excuses. Cheat (use holds on adjacent climb).

I do find that my performance usually increases when I have joined a
party I don't know. But it's the actual, not the verbal performance.

Pat> the good news is that when they are that stupid stupid stupid
Pat> they stand a smaller chance of reproducing.

Small chance. It's the stupid that don't have enough resources for
filling a nice evening without having to revert to reproduction
inducing action.

David "too resourceful" Kastrup

Dawn Alguard

Jul 13, 2001, 10:03:11 AM7/13/01
"Travis C. Brooks" wrote:

> If fact, it seems incumbent on our female compatriots to start a second thread:
> "How to pick up chicks in the gym."

You offer to take them outside/teach them to trad lead. It's not
exactly a secret.

Dawn

Dawn Alguard

Jul 13, 2001, 10:11:30 AM7/13/01
Jay Tanzman wrote:

> Women don't complain when we can't read their minds. They get quiet and expect
> us to understand that they're upset that we can't read their mind.

It's funny because it's true.

Dawn

GOclimb

Jul 13, 2001, 10:11:55 AM7/13/01
Melissa <mmi...@itsa.ucsf.edu> wrote in message news:<3B4E4E9E...@itsa.ucsf.edu>...
<snip>

> too far learn how far they can go." I really appreciated this advice with respect
> to climbing at my limit although I'm not sure I'm into walking "the knife's edge" to
> acheive beefcake nirvana at the gym. Dignity injuries are a bitch.
>
> I think that if you (genericly speaking) are brazen enough to hit on a total
> stranger at the gym, you should have your rejection radar set on extra sensitive,
> and get lost at the first negative vibe. Think of it as knowing when to down-climb
> to avoid a fall or to make an inevitable fall shorter when you are run-out,
> off-route, and climbing higher is not an option.
>
> Melissa

Thank you - you just made my day! Most wonderful analogy.

I've a quote to share to express my gratitude:
"The road of excess leads to the palace of wisdom."-- W. Blake

Jesse Schomberg

Jul 13, 2001, 10:45:58 AM7/13/01

Mad Dog wrote:

Some guy in Wisconsin, with 9 children from 4 different women, none of whom he was
able to help support, just got ordered to stop procreating by the WI supreme court.
Jesse

nathan sweet

Jul 13, 2001, 11:34:46 AM7/13/01

>Tom Cikoski wrote: <many sage observations including>
>>
>> Money
>> It has been my observation (not experience) that great gobs of money
>> liberally strewn about can make the male of the species a stud muffin
>> indefinitely. Take heed, all.

Money can indeed help, but......

An elephant was drowning in quicksand. He saw a mouse, and he asked the
mouse to save him. The mouse stated that he could not pull him out due to
the size ratio, but he would go get his Mercedes, and see what he could do.
So, the mouse got the Mercedes, threw a rope out to the elephant, and saved
the elephant's life. The elephant was so grateful, he asked what he could
do. The mouse said he would think of something.

Next week, the mouse was drowning in the quicksand. The mouse called out to
the elephant, and reminded the elephant that he had saved his life the
earlier week. The elephant lumbered up to the edge of the quicksand,
extended his "male member" out as far as it would go, the mouse grabbed on,
and the mouse's life was saved.

Moral of the story.....

If you have a big johnson, you don't need a Mercedes..........

nathan (loves stories with a good moral) sweet

Troutboy

Jul 13, 2001, 11:51:16 AM7/13/01

"Jesse Schomberg" <jsch...@nrri.umn.edu> wrote in message

> Some guy in Wisconsin, with 9 children from 4 different women, none of
whom he was
> able to help support, just got ordered to stop procreating by the WI
supreme court.
> Jesse

Can't wait to see how they enforce this particular court order.

Tim S.

Sketchball

Jul 13, 2001, 12:26:44 PM7/13/01
Tom c wrote:
> Loveable Geezer
> As far as I can tell (I'm not there yet) the loveable geezer can
> get away with almost anything because the inference is there that
> there will be no final payoff. The loveable geezer has the aura of
> innocent play and a limp dick. Interestingly, studies have shown that
> sexual activity in both males and females can extend as long as life.

Actual Fred Beckey quote "So, do you have a boyfriend? Does he climb
mountains? Want to come climbing with me?"
Skaha Woman (body language radiating GO AWAY SMELLY OLD MAN) makes
non-committal reply and escapes
FB: "I think she likes me! Look, I got her phone number. Hey, what
area code is 911?"

Jay Tanzman

Jul 13, 2001, 12:22:17 PM7/13/01

Oh, so _that's_ what trad climbing is for. Now I get it!

-Jay

Pat Caruthers

Jul 13, 2001, 12:18:47 PM7/13/01

Mad Dog wrote:
. . .

> Whereas I see no need for Sue to apologize for her post (it conveyed well the
> envoronment of the gym), I disagree that it was a great trip report. Come on
> now... I can think back to so many great trip reports that evoked the freedom,
> power and vitality of climbing.

perhaps, but i could relate to it more than i can those Other TRs about
the deep philosophical rewards of soloing ...

pat

Grant

Jul 13, 2001, 12:33:31 PM7/13/01
Troutboy wrote:

"Bailiff, whack his pee-pee!" G

Greg Daughtry

Jul 13, 2001, 1:00:06 PM7/13/01

"Jay Tanzman" <jtan...@sph.llu.edu> wrote in message...

> > You offer to take them outside/teach them to trad lead. It's not
> > exactly a secret.
>
> Oh, so _that's_ what trad climbing is for. Now I get it!

Not a problem... What else you gonna do on your rest days? Might as well go
trad-climbin'... ;-)

The real trick is getting someone to realize that bouldering is the Way and
the Light...

--
'Greg
Port Townsend, WA

David Kastrup

Jul 13, 2001, 2:00:18 PM7/13/01

Jay> Dawn Alguard wrote:
>> You offer to take them outside/teach them to trad lead. It's
>> not exactly a secret.

Jay> Oh, so _that's_ what trad climbing is for. Now I get it!

Obviously. Didn't you know that "trad" is short for "top roper
attraction device"?

GOclimb

Jul 13, 2001, 2:36:30 PM7/13/01
Dawn Alguard <da...@tradgirl.com> wrote in message news:<3B4EFF9F...@tradgirl.com>...

They graciously accept the invitation... and then they invite their
boyfriend along. Doh!

Mike Garrison

Jul 13, 2001, 3:15:50 PM7/13/01
GOclimb wrote:

> Dawn Alguard <da...@tradgirl.com> wrote in message > >
> > You offer to take them outside/teach them to trad lead. It's not
> > exactly a secret.
>
> They graciously accept the invitation... and then they invite their
> boyfriend along. Doh!

What, you aren't into that sort of thing?

-Mike

Nate

Jul 13, 2001, 3:53:53 PM7/13/01

>nathan (loves stories with a good moral) sweet wrote:

>Moral of the story.....
>
>If you have a big johnson, you don't need a Mercedes..........

What about intelligence, maturity, and/or an interesting life? Sheesh.

- Nate

Steven Cherry

Jul 13, 2001, 5:06:40 PM7/13/01
In <x5n169d...@tupik.goethe.zz> David Kastrup <David....@neuroinformatik.ruhr-uni-bochum.de> writes:

> Karl> Making the woman feel superior isn't the worst strategy a
> Karl> guy could come up with.

<idiotic reply deleted>

David, you just posted four responses in a row to this already dubious
thread. Each was entirely moronic, sexist, offensive, and pointless.
Do you realize how these things read, and it's just a self-control
problem? Or are you really this clueless?

-steven-
--
<ste...@panix.com>
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

Steven Cherry

Jul 13, 2001, 5:09:11 PM7/13/01
In <3B4EFF9F...@tradgirl.com> Dawn Alguard <da...@tradgirl.com> writes:

>"Travis C. Brooks" wrote:
>> If fact, it seems incumbent on our female compatriots to start a second thread:
>> "How to pick up chicks in the gym."

>You offer to take them outside/teach them to trad lead. It's not
>exactly a secret.

Then you remember you're married. Then you teach them anyway.

-steven (then they go to squamish without you)-
--
<ste...@panix.com>
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

GaryFike

Jul 13, 2001, 7:42:53 PM7/13/01
writes:

>y'know,
>i don't think that the males of the world are so generally stupid that
>they can't learn to pay a attention to a few more cues than the words
>mere politeness would have us use. This isn't mind reading.
>If they applied half the energy to this problem as they do to
>what piece of pro to place they'd have it solved in no time.

Is this why I get my faced slapped almost as often as I take a fall?
Interesting correlation.

gary

strom

Jul 13, 2001, 11:09:18 PM7/13/01
That will never work.
here's to sweat in your eye

N42461

Jul 13, 2001, 11:33:14 PM7/13/01
>>Nate wrote:
>> What about intelligence, maturity, and/or an interesting life? Sheesh.
>>

> strom wrote:
>
>That will never work.

Well it might, but it might backfire and you could end up with a <shudder>
relationship!

nathan (and folks think ROPES are expensive) sweet

Jeremy the Sumo Climber

Jul 13, 2001, 11:36:05 PM7/13/01
"strom" <est...@home.com> wrote in message

> >Nate wrote:
> > What about intelligence, maturity, and/or an interesting life? Sheesh.
> >
> > - Nate
>
> That will never work.
> here's to sweat in your eye

How the hell would YOU know?

- Sumo

strom

Jul 13, 2001, 11:50:31 PM7/13/01
Now I'm gonna have nightmares.

>N42461 wrote:
> <random snipage>

> you could end up with a

strom

Jul 13, 2001, 11:52:02 PM7/13/01
ahh.. I don't know. Guess I don't
Here's to sweat in your eye

Geoff Jennings

Jul 14, 2001, 2:45:51 AM7/14/01
Dawn,

That only works for certain women. Trust me. I keep trying.

Geoff

--
___________

From the point of view of the tapeworm, man was created by God to serve the
appetite of the tapeworm. -Edward Abbey

Mike Yukish

Jul 14, 2001, 11:03:18 AM7/14/01
strom wrote:

> Now I'm gonna have nightmares.

Strom, I'm disappointed that you didn't append "here's sweat in your
eye" to your post. I wasn't even sure it was you at first. Maybe a strom
impersonator. My eyes are swimming in sweat, thanks to you. Don't let me
down now...

here's to beer in your cooler

Steven Cherry

Jul 14, 2001, 11:22:00 AM7/14/01
In <20010713233314...@ng-mm1.aol.com> n42...@aol.com (N42461)
writes:

>Well it might, but it might backfire and you could end up with a <shudder>
>relationship!

>nathan (and folks think ROPES are expensive) sweet

I have nothing to add, I just have to dust off one of my favorite sigs.

-steven-
--
<ste...@panix.com>
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=

strom

Jul 14, 2001, 5:38:54 PM7/14/01
How about calistoga I quit drinkin, but thanks.
Here's to sweat in your eye

forrest

Jul 14, 2001, 9:18:28 PM7/14/01

"Grant" <gmei...@san.rr.com> wrote in message

Lord Slime

Jul 16, 2001, 1:39:32 PM7/16/01
"GaryFike" <gary...@aol.com> wrote in

> Is this why I get my faced slapped almost as often as I take a fall?

I'm assuming that it's your beautiful wife who's slapping you
when you ogle other women in the gym. And she should!

- Lord Slime

Stella Hackell

Jul 16, 2001, 6:12:49 PM7/16/01
In article <3B4E3D3C...@boeing.com>, Mike Garrison
<mike.g...@boeing.com> wrote:

> Stella Hackell wrote:
> >
> > I may be making way too much of this, but I also get pissed off
> > when anyone compares an unpleasant social situation to rape.
> > And when people complain because other people aren't reading
> > their minds.
>
> I'm not sure Sue was really complaining because this guy
> didn't read her mind. I think she was just complaining
> because it is nice to complain when you are frustrated. And
> she did so with style, too.

Yes, I agree. I responded with a perhaps irrelevant suggestion
about how to discourage a persistent hitter-on. Then someone else
who was having a bad hair day compared my comments to saying that
women "asked for it" when they got raped. I responded in a similar
follicularly negative tone, and we were off.

I actually thought Sue's post was pretty entertaining.