Longs Peak logistics

1 view

Dmitry Freitor

Jun 28, 2007, 9:04:55 AM6/28/07
- Where to stay at Estes Park on a climber's budget?

- Do we need an advance reservation for camping at Chasm Lake?

- Is there any limit on how long we can stay at Chasm Lake?

Thanks.
Dmitry

rick++

Jun 28, 2007, 10:16:15 AM6/28/07

Estes Park has the beauty and the "outdoors culture" but is also
jammed packed between July 1 and Labor Day.
Within an hour of Longs main trail head are several major cities-
Boulder,
Longmont, Fort Collins. Boulder is another outdoors culture city and
you
find some lodging there. Longmont is off most peoples radar and you'd
likely find the best prices. Rocky Mountain Ppark has several
campgrounds
including one at the base of the main Longs trailhead. Its FCFS and
can only
hold about one in fifty hikers/climbers during the summer. Last
August I did the Longs
dayhike after a party in Boulder. I drove up to that campground in
about 50 minutes
which was full of course, then started winding my back along the Peaks
highway to
various RMNP and Indian Peak campgrounds. About the 5th one back iat
Olive Ridge
I found something. I've also done some stealth camping,
but the rangers have been improving in blocking the more obvious
sites.

Look at the the RMNP website Backcountry Bivouac for Chasm Lake
details.
http://www.nps.gov/romo/planyourvisit/backcountry.htm
Theres a permit ranger station at the Longs trailhead, but call in
advance,
beacuse they change the details now and then (more fees lately).

Dll

Jun 28, 2007, 11:06:12 AM6/28/07
"Dmitry Freitor"

>- Where to stay at Estes Park on a climber's budget?

Nowhere, but feel free to call around. Find some camping, if you can.

> - Do we need an advance reservation for camping at Chasm Lake?

Generally. Call the B/C office. 970-586-1242

> - Is there any limit on how long we can stay at Chasm Lake?

Yes. It's nice, but dead up there. Not much of a view as you are
surrounded by rock and mostly out of the sun in the afternoon. 1-2 nights
and I'm good. Keep in mind you can't set up a tent, bivy sacks only. It's
extremely rugged past Chasm Lake and up near Mill's, so a tent isn't an
option anyway.

Your questions could all be answered with a little time on
www.mountainproject.com and in the guidebooks

Lord Slime

Jun 28, 2007, 12:21:04 PM6/28/07
"Dmitry Freitor" <dmi...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

> - Do we need an advance reservation for camping at Chasm Lake?

There's no "camping" allowed at Chasm Lake. You are allowed to
bivouac, if you have a Bivouac Permit, but the rules are different than
for camping. There's a limit on the number of Bivy Permits that are
issued for any given night at each site, make your reservations early
with the backcountry office.

Chasm View is also a bivy site, and you can avoid the dangerous
and annoying North Chimney by rapping down to Broadway. After
summitting (hopefully) it's a shorter walk back to your packs. If you
don't summit, be sure to know how to find the Camel and/or the
Chasm Cutoff route to get back to your gear at Chasm View.

> - Is there any limit on how long we can stay at Chasm Lake?

If the rules haven't changed: two. One before the climb and
one after.

I don't know where you're from, but sleeping above 13,000' is
a big problem, especially if you're from the lowlands. Since
you're not gonna sleep anyway, doing the route in a day is a
good strategy.

Also, have at least two routes in mind in case someone beats
you to the base of the one you have in mind. Some people bivy
on Broadway, and always get first crack at the routes.

Beta: take a water filter and fill-up along the way (up and down).
It's a helluva lot lighter than carrying a gallon, or more.

- Lord Slime

Dll

Jun 29, 2007, 10:52:23 AM6/29/07

"Lord Slime"

> Chasm View is also a bivy site, and you can avoid the dangerous
> and annoying North Chimney by rapping down to Broadway. After
> summitting (hopefully) it's a shorter walk back to your packs. If you
> don't summit, be sure to know how to find the Camel and/or the
> Chasm Cutoff route to get back to your gear at Chasm View.

Having done both, I don't know why people do Chasm View. It's a lot of
extra hiking - . Chasm Lake Junction to Granit Pass then all the
switchbacks up to the Boulder Field, then the talus up to Chasm View - it's
quite a bit of extra hiking. N. Chimney is like a couple pitches in the
Flatirons. It's really just Mills Glacier that's an issue, and not really a
big one, IMO.

- Nate

Lord Slime

Jul 1, 2007, 10:24:40 PM7/1/07
"Dll" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

> "Lord Slime"
> > Chasm View is also a bivy site, and you can avoid the dangerous
> > and annoying North Chimney by rapping down to Broadway. After
> > summitting (hopefully) it's a shorter walk back to your packs. If you
> > don't summit, be sure to know how to find the Camel and/or the
> > Chasm Cutoff route to get back to your gear at Chasm View.
>
> Having done both, I don't know why people do Chasm View.

Gee Nate, you don't read fer shit. I just explained why.

> It's a lot of extra hiking - .

So what? The hiking is easier, and you can beat the
parties bivied at Chasm Lake to Broadway in the morning.

> Chasm Lake Junction to Granit Pass then all the
> switchbacks up to the Boulder Field, then the talus up to Chasm View -
it's
> quite a bit of extra hiking.

Waaaaa! Call for the Waaaambulance. You musta missed
the part about summitting and getting back to your packs
much faster than Chasm Lake. Makes up for the bit of
extra hiking.

> N. Chimney is like a couple pitches in the
> Flatirons.

What TOTAL FUCKING BULLSHIT. Maybe if the
flatirons were piles of loose choss and moss, running
with water at 13,000' with parties knocking rocks down on
you.

I've always done it in my hiking boots, since they are more
appropriate to snow and wet moss. I've never roped up.

I've also avoided the entire thing by soloing on the left face,
(in my rock shoes) not that I'd recommend that... we were
both scared shitless.

>It's really just Mills Glacier that's an issue, and not really a
> big one, IMO.

Mills Glacier has been GONE, MELTED, since at least
2004. Get a fucking clue Nate.

- Lord Slime

Dll

Jul 2, 2007, 2:12:22 AM7/2/07

"Lord Slime"

> What TOTAL FUCKING BULLSHIT.

You're such a bore...

- Nate

Lord Slime

Jul 2, 2007, 2:11:37 PM7/2/07
"Dll" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
> "Lord Slime"
>
> > What TOTAL FUCKING BULLSHIT.
>
> You're such a bore...

And clearly you're fulla shit, as always.

- Lord Slime

Curt Wohlgemuth

Jul 2, 2007, 3:10:57 PM7/2/07

Lord Slime wrote:

> "Dll" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message

>> Having done both, I don't know why people do Chasm View.

> Gee Nate, you don't read fer shit. I just explained why.

With the near-complete demise of this NG, it cheers my heart to see an
exchange between Nate and LS.

Thanks folks!
Curt

Eugene Miya

Jul 2, 2007, 8:31:26 PM7/2/07
In article <f6bih2$m53$1...@usenet01.boi.hp.com>,

Curt Wohlgemuth <curtR...@hpTHIS.com> wrote:
>With the near-complete demise of this NG, it cheers my heart to see an
>exchange between Nate and LS.

Demise? Have things changed?
Seems the same to me. However it might also be that more people have
gotten out climbing.

Dll

Jul 3, 2007, 12:37:54 AM7/3/07

"Lord Slime"

> "Dll"

>> You're such a bore...
>
> And clearly you're fulla shit, as always.
>
> - Lord Slime

Slime - you should sign up over at Supertopo. Pretty much everyone else
here has. Everyone would love to see you over there, I'm sure.

Mills - stood looking at it on Sunday. Still there. May melt out this
year, but I doubt it with the snow we had this winter. None the less, I
expect it to be there for most of the climbing season. Chasm View is an
additional 1.5 miles and 1500 feet of gain over the hike into Mill's
Glacier, both ways, with your overnight gear. Rapping in from there
immediately wastes about 500 ft of earned gain. If you would prefer that
over a 4th class scramble capped by a couple 5.6 moves, feel free to go that
way.

- Nate

Simon Isbister

Jul 3, 2007, 9:36:36 AM7/3/07

"Eugene Miya" <eug...@cse.ucsc.edu> wrote in message

They may have plateaued, and not changed in the past 6 or 7 years, but there
has been a near total demise, when compared to the late '90s, wouldn't you
say?

-s-

Eugene Miya

Jul 3, 2007, 1:28:59 PM7/3/07

In article <Ehsii.25904$xk5.17495@edtnps82>,

Simon Isbister <simoni...@telus.net> wrote:
>They may have plateaued, and not changed in the past 6 or 7 years, but there
>has been a near total demise, when compared to the late '90s, wouldn't you
>say?

It depends if you have a by-the numbers business oriented view of the net.
i.e., bigger is better (Texas mentality). There are 2 ways to be naive
here: you can be a climbing newbie and you can be a net newbie.
These dimensions are easily orthogonal. It's cumulative time which
counts BUT time is conserved: you can only spend time doing one or the
other (time writing up trip reports works as time against a trip).

The people who voted for the group were largely both climbing newbies
and net newbies.

The net newbies had all these glorious ideas that they'd be reading
trip reports (this is the school/club mentality engendered by NOLS/OB
and the Mountaineers, Sierra Club, AMC, CMC, ad nauseum, getting advice
from "world class experts," and stuff for free. They remind me of the
South Calif. Computer Soc. which Steven Levy (he got one of the first 4
iPhones for evaluation) contrasted to the Homebrew Computer Club.

The climbing newbies thought there were going to get significant better
by reading the net. You have to go out and do a lot of climbing. Period.
In the ideal world, r.c. should be dead, or just about dead on weekends.
That's a bit of a generalization, cron would be here. And people sick
or recouping from injuries. I'm hoping to be out of here so long as the
Sierra doesn't catch fire in the next few days (a distinct possibility).

It depends on how influenced you are by media.
The Internet is mostly a job to me.

Lord Slime

Jul 3, 2007, 12:32:15 PM7/3/07
"Dll" <m...@privacy.net> wrote in message
> Slime - you should sign up over at Supertopo. Pretty much everyone else
> here has. Everyone would love to see you over there, I'm sure.

I wouldn't waste my time.

> Mills - stood looking at it on Sunday. Still there. May melt out this
> year, but I doubt it with the snow we had this winter.

Bullshit. There may be a snowfield there, but the ice was gone in
'04. At that time, you could dig down through the talus and find ice
underneath, but given the hot summers and warm winters we've
had, there's no fucking way the glacier has reformed. Your
comment on this year's snowfall reveals your ignorance/stupidity.

> Chasm View is an
> additional 1.5 miles and 1500 feet of gain over the hike into Mill's
> Glacier, both ways, with your overnight gear. Rapping in from there
> immediately wastes about 500 ft of earned gain. If you would prefer that
> over a 4th class scramble capped by a couple 5.6 moves, feel free to go
that
> way.

Nate, you're such a fucking asshole. Chasm View is an
alternative that has its advantages and disadvantages just
like bivying at Chasm Lake. I've mentioned them all already,
and since you have a serious fucking comprehension
problem, it'd be futile to list them again.

As always, go fuck yerself.

- Lord Slime

lekker

Jul 3, 2007, 1:12:25 PM7/3/07

Strongly influenced. My experience with this "group" follows closely the
movie Freaks.

> In the ideal world, r.c. should be dead, or just about dead on weekends.

Weekends are not ideal for climbing.

Andy Cairns

Simon Isbister

Jul 4, 2007, 12:27:08 AM7/4/07

"lekker" <lek...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote in message

> Weekends are not ideal for climbing.
>
> Andy Cairns

Speaking of which, andy- where is your work rotation right now? Are you
free tommorow (wednesday)?

-s-

Eugene Miya

Jul 11, 2007, 8:49:08 PM7/11/07

"Death of Usenet, film at 11...."

lekker <lek...@intergate.bc.ca> Andy wrote:
>Strongly influenced. My experience with this "group" follows closely the
>movie Freaks.

The film about the Little people, associated with the filming of Wizard of Oz
(well, I'm a little partial to Zardoz myself). Or the much older B&W
documentary? Have not seen either. R.c. is a typical unmoderated
non-comp.* hierarchy group. Film comparison, I have to deal with
...Breach (just saw that, and know people on the periphery) or for
fiction Sneakers. And some similar films. Movies aren't real.

>> In the ideal world, r.c. should be dead, or just about dead on weekends.
>
>Weekends are not ideal for climbing.
>Andy Cairns

Ideals only form an imaginary portion of the world. You are lucky if
you have a chance to have any. For a minority in climbing (Murray is
one) they are not constained {Beck's "Leisure class}.

Weather doesn't care about social time constructs.

lekker

Jul 12, 2007, 3:27:23 PM7/12/07
Eugene Miya wrote:
> "Death of Usenet, film at 11...."

>>> It depends if you have a by-the numbers business oriented view of the net.
>>> i.e., bigger is better (Texas mentality). There are 2 ways to be naive
>>> It depends on how influenced you are by media.
>
> lekker <lek...@intergate.bc.ca> Andy wrote:
>> Strongly influenced. My experience with this "group" follows closely the
>> movie Freaks.
>
> The film about the Little people, associated with the filming of Wizard of Oz
> (well, I'm a little partial to Zardoz myself). Or the much older B&W
> documentary?

The 1932 non-documentary. In which a normal-looking member of a
side-show circus plots against one of the freaks, is found out, and is
turned into one of them in revenge.

Have not seen either. R.c. is a typical unmoderated
> non-comp.* hierarchy group. Film comparison, I have to deal with
> ...Breach (just saw that, and know people on the periphery) or for
> fiction Sneakers. And some similar films. Movies aren't real.
>

>>> In the ideal world, r.c. should be dead, or just about dead on weekends.
>> Weekends are not ideal for climbing.
>> Andy Cairns
>
> Ideals only form an imaginary portion of the world. You are lucky if
> you have a chance to have any. For a minority in climbing (Murray is
> one) they are not constained {Beck's "Leisure class}.
>
> Weather doesn't care about social time constructs.

The lack of feeling is mutual.

Most of us have ways of trying to avoid crowds. Climbing during the work
week is one and going into the backcountry is another.

Andy Cairns

Eugene Miya

Jul 12, 2007, 9:07:37 PM7/12/07

In article <11842685...@netadmin1.interbaun.net>,
lekker <lek...@intergate.bc.ca> wrote:
>>> movie Freaks.

>The 1932 non-documentary. In which a normal-looking member of a
>side-show circus plots against one of the freaks, is found out, and is
>turned into one of them in revenge.

ACK.

>>> Weekends are not ideal for climbing.

>> Weather doesn't care about social time constructs.
>
>The lack of feeling is mutual.
>Most of us have ways of trying to avoid crowds. Climbing during the work
>week is one and going into the backcountry is another.

Remind me of that next week when I am in Alaska.
Latter part of the week.