Major houseboat company lawsuit

Judd Bagley

Jul 16, 2002, 1:34:02 PM7/16/02
Fantasy Custom Yachts is being sued for half a million dollars by a
houseboat timeshare company called DJ Enterprises.

DJ is based in Arizona and does houseboat timesharing at Lake Powell.
DJ says Fantasy refused to repair several huge mistakes.

I think Fantasy is out of Kentucky.

David Layton, who manages DJ, told me he tried for _eight_ weeks to
get John Sturgill, who owns Fantasy, to fix his big mistakes but they
wouldn't even return his calls.

I guess you should keep their poor customer service and workmanship in
mind before you deal with Fantasy Custom Yachts.

I'll keep this group posted on the progress of the suit.

Has anybody else run into trouble with these guys?

JB

arthur

Jul 16, 2002, 10:32:08 PM7/16/02
Before you whack somebody over the head, publicly, perhaps you should
explain in a little more detail. Your condemnation is a bit weak and,
if I was you, I would be a bit more concerned about lawyers, libel, and
slander.

arthur

Judd Bagley

Jul 17, 2002, 11:45:22 AM7/17/02
arthur wrote
> Before you whack somebody over the head, publicly, perhaps you should
> explain in a little more detail.

I appreciate your concern, but you now know as much as I do. I'm
merely passing along information I'm told is contained in the court
filing -- a public document -- and asking whether this is symptomatic
of a larger problem members of this NG might be aware of.

> Your condemnation is a bit weak

Mine is not a condemnation; just a reference to the suit brought
against Fantasy.

> if I was you, I would be a bit more concerned about lawyers, libel, and
> slander.

Let us all pray the day we cannot ask questions never comes!

As for slander: the First Amendment requires the party claiming
slander be damaged materially and financially beyond remedy, and that
they prove the assertion is untrue. I assume Fantasy will have its day
in court in order to do just that. But having only relayed information
already submitted to the courts, this would never apply to me.

As for libel: it only applies to journalists and requires the claimant
meet a burden of proof so enormous that such suits are rarely
successful.

I'm not an attorney; only know this stuff because I was once a
reporter.

Arthur, this is not a flame, just a response to your claim that my
original post is less than responsible.

JB