Learning bluewater sailing

Rob Gendreau

Jul 8, 2001, 1:29:43 PM7/8/01
Any recommendations for resources, e.g. sailing schools, etc., for
learning first-hand how to sail the big seas? I'd love to do something
like the New World Challenge, which would certainly be an intense
hands-on experience, but what about shorter, less expensive options?
I've seen a program called the Alaska Eagle, where you learn on board a
boat belonging to Orange Coast College in CA, and I'm wondering if there
are any other programs like that around, or if anyone can recommend an
alternative.

TIA,
Rob
--
Oakland, CA

dave

Jul 8, 2001, 5:39:16 PM7/8/01
Here's one: http://www.mahina.com

s/v kabuki maru seattle

Jim Donohue

Jul 8, 2001, 7:00:29 PM7/8/01
All depends - How are your sea legs? You been to sea for 3 or 4 days in bad
conditions? Do you get sea sick? How bad? How long does it last? Can you
use medication? Do you get along reasonably well in a tightly confined
group? Can you sleep on a boat rolling heavily where you are effectively
tied into the bunk?

If you are not secure in the answer to any of the above start easy and work
up. Two week offshore passages can be great adventures - they can also be
two weeks of unmitigated hell. The Orange Coast folk offer weekend deals as
well as protected initial cruises. Get comfortable with a bad three day
cruise - then try a couple of weeks - maybe go for a crew spot on the Baha
haha. Then maybe an off shore leg on the Eagle or the Mahina Tiare III.

Jim - Who likes watchs on stormy nights - a severe personality flaw.

"Rob Gendreau" <rob_ge...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

Allan Paterson

Jul 10, 2001, 9:24:06 PM7/10/01
Ahoy There:

Cheapest way to get experience is to hang around marinas and try
hitch-hiking. (God I love those people who spent all their lives in
business earning enough money to buy a BIG boat--and then discovered
they needed crew to help run it.) Buy yourself some high quality
foul weather gear, a good sheath knife, and a floppy canvas sun hat.
Then just appear eager and flexible relative to scheduling. Cruising
boats sometimes need extra hand just for a long passage. Be prepared
to have/prove you have airfare home. And read everything you can about
sailing--so you at least know the vocabulary.

I've been paid to crew, chipped in for groceries (trans Atlantic) and
gone for free (all I could eat and drink on one trip).

Allan
"He who would go to sea for pleasure, would go to Hell for a pastime."