What ever happened to Robin Lee Graham?

John Watson

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

I just finished enjoying Robin Lee Graham's book "Dove" (16 year-old who
circumnavigated solo in late 60's- early 70's, fell in love and married on
way, etc.). I'm just curious as to what came of him and his family. Anyone
know?

Brian Grant

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

There was a thread on this in the http://www.cruisingworld.com bulletin
boards. He was found building houses in Montana.

Brian Grant

May 12, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/12/98

Dhhillen wrote:

> I heard a sad story but am not sure that it is true and if anyone really knows
> I would love to be corrected. I was told he was run over by a truck while
> hitchiking.... Like I said, I hope I am wrong. "Dove" is a fantastic book and
> Robin Lee Graham must be equal to the story he wrote.
>
> Derek
> "Galileo"

No, that was one of the items dismissed in the cruising world thread.
The last I saw of it, he was alive and building houses in Montana.

Dhhillen

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

J.A. Rogers

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

On Tue, 12 May 1998 13:46:02 -0500, "John Watson"
<johnw...@mindspring.com> wrote:

>I just finished enjoying Robin Lee Graham's book "Dove" (16 year-old who
>circumnavigated solo in late 60's- early 70's, fell in love and married on
>way, etc.). I'm just curious as to what came of him and his family. Anyone
>know?

Dove was sold in St. Thomas USVI and until Hurricane Marilyn was kept
on a mooring in Charlotte Amalie Harbor. For a picture of it see
http://www.10mb.com/sailaway

John Watson

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

I should have checked dejanews first, as someone has suggested, not that it
helped much. The consensus from previous threads was he was building houses
in Montana, but others said he was chartering boats in Newport Beach, living
in Colorado, or a minister. If anyone knows for sure, I'd be interested.

Robby Robinson

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98
to John Watson

John Watson wrote:

> I should have checked dejanews first, as someone has suggested, not that it
> helped much. The consensus from previous threads was he was building houses
> in Montana, but others said he was chartering boats in Newport Beach, living
> in Colorado, or a minister. If anyone knows for sure, I'd be interested.

If he is in Montana I would guess that this is he.

Graham, Robin Phone: (406)257-4511 or (possibly the same person)
Graham, Robin L Phone: (406)257-1348

address for both entries are:

Kalispell, MT 59901
--
Regards Robby [rob...@pacbell.net]
S/V Rolling Stone http://www.selfsteer.com/rolling-stone.jpg

OptoEngr

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

At different times, RLG was indeed building houses in MT and chartering
boats in
So CA. I don't know about the other activities mentioned.....John Neal
keeps in touch with him. Normally, John Neal can be reached via

http://www.mahina.com

However, I believe John is currently enroute to NZ, so it may take awhile to
get an
answer from him.

Paul Mathews

'.......consensus from previous threads was he was building houses

>in Montana, but others said he was chartering boats in Newport Beach,
living
>in Colorado, or a minister. If anyone knows for sure, I'd be interested.

........<snips>

Ilana Stern

May 13, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/13/98

John Watson wrote:

> I should have checked dejanews first, as someone has suggested, not that it
> helped much. The consensus from previous threads was he was building houses

> in Montana, but others said he was chartering boats in Newport Beach, living
> in Colorado, or a minister. If anyone knows for sure, I'd be interested.

He's still in Montana, according to the National Geographic
website:

http://www.nationalgeographic.com/resources/ngo/infocentral/biographies/graham.html

I recently read the original articles in the 1968-70 Geographics.
Interesting to see how the magazine has evolved over the years!

Bellsail

May 14, 1998, 3:00:00 AM5/14/98

As far as I know, he gave up sailing and moved to a mountain home somewhere in
the Rockies (Wyoming perhaps). He must now have quite a few gray hairs, like
some of us.

Raf

"I can teach a man how to sail. I cannot teach him why".