UK to US passenger ships?

Simple Simon B.

Feb 6, 2002, 12:02:41 PM2/6/02
My parents both hate flying, so they would like to get from the UK (south
coast) to the US (Florida) by ship (and back again!!).
Are there any such shipping routes which they could take?
Any advise is most welcome.

Thanks,
Simon.

John Gaquin

Feb 6, 2002, 12:28:22 PM2/6/02
> My parents both hate flying, so they would like to get from the UK (south
> coast) to the US (Florida) by ship (and back again!!).
> Are there any such shipping routes which they could take?

Simon.... Check out this web page:

http://members.aol.com/CruiseAZ/transat.htm

JG

Simple Simon B.

Feb 6, 2002, 12:32:57 PM2/6/02
That's superb, John.

Many thanks indeed.

Larry W4CSC

Feb 6, 2002, 6:04:04 PM2/6/02
Containerships and freighters like Evergreen book passengers as well
as freight. You get a nice cabin up near the bridge and a very
friendly crew. SeaLand also books passengers. You can pick them up
in Holland straight to Baltimore or Charleston, where I live......

A heavily loaded 950' long ship has GOT to be a smooth ride....(c;

And NO RUNNING INTO BUILDINGS or crazed passengers with guns!

Passage on a commercial vessel, while no where near the sumptous
accomodations of a cruise liner, is much more economical. Call around
to some of the containership companies. There's about 20-30 cabins on
all of them!

Larry W4CSC
spami...@knology.net

otnmbrd

Feb 6, 2002, 9:13:00 PM2/6/02

Larry W4CSC wrote:

> Containerships and freighters like Evergreen book passengers as well
> as freight. You get a nice cabin up near the bridge and a very
> friendly crew. SeaLand also books passengers. You can pick them up
> in Holland straight to Baltimore or Charleston, where I live......

Up near the bridge, is not where you really want to be in any nasty weather.

> A heavily loaded 950' long ship has GOT to be a smooth ride....(c;

No it doesn't....I've had some pretty uncomfortable rides on ships this size
.... but over all, you're right.

> And NO RUNNING INTO BUILDINGS or crazed passengers with guns!
>
> Passage on a commercial vessel, while no where near the sumptous
> accomodations of a cruise liner, is much more economical. Call around
> to some of the containership companies. There's about 20-30 cabins on
> all of them!

Actual number of cabins, is much smaller ... possibly closer to 4-6, and
generally, quite spartan.
This type of travel is not for everyone. For the most part, you're left to
your own devices, food is the same as the crew gets, there are no special
events for passengers and your life aboard, is what you make of it ..... can
be very relaxing, or boring, depending on your point of view.

Rick

Feb 6, 2002, 11:23:58 PM2/6/02
Otnmbrd said it very accurately, all I can add is - sometimes they just
don't make boats big enough.

As far as: "NO RUNNING INTO BUILDINGS" goes, you should have known this
was coming ...

http://www.cnn.com/US/9612/24/briefs/mall.html

Rick

Larry W4CSC

Feb 7, 2002, 8:34:44 AM2/7/02
Yikes!

Larry W4CSC
spami...@knology.net

Larry W4CSC

Feb 7, 2002, 8:34:20 AM2/7/02
On Thu, 07 Feb 2002 02:13:00 GMT, otnmbrd <otn...@earthlink.net>
wrote:

>Larry W4CSC wrote:
>
>> Containerships and freighters like Evergreen book passengers as well
>> as freight. You get a nice cabin up near the bridge and a very
>> friendly crew. SeaLand also books passengers. You can pick them up
>> in Holland straight to Baltimore or Charleston, where I live......
>
>Up near the bridge, is not where you really want to be in any nasty weather.

The bridge, on a containership, is right over the STERN! It's right
in front of the captain's cabin aboard SeaLand "Performance", real
handy. The cabins are on different levels right under it. The whole
superstructure is 800' aft of the bow, in the best position for the
smoothest ride, if you can call it that on a ship that's longer than
the waves...(c;

>> A heavily loaded 950' long ship has GOT to be a smooth ride....(c;
>
>No it doesn't....I've had some pretty uncomfortable rides on ships this size
>.... but over all, you're right.

Sure beats a 35' sloop..

I'd be standing on the wing bridge all night wondering how it can
stand THAT much "flexing". Any ship is uncomfortable when you're
being thrown from side to side down the passageways. I spent years
aboard USS Everglades (AD-24) in the 60's. Many a breakfast was
thrown off my tray and onto the mess decks. My calibration lab was
aft on the main deck over the single screw. The waves weren't the
major problem, back aft, the screw was. Every time she came over the
top of a wave, the top half of the big screw came out of the water
slapping it's blades at 60 RPM. It tore equipment off the benches
that was strapped down with heavy straps. If it was rough, we'd have
to triple-strap them to keep them in place.....

I loved it. It kept the chow line short for days....(c;

>> And NO RUNNING INTO BUILDINGS or crazed passengers with guns!
>>
>> Passage on a commercial vessel, while no where near the sumptous
>> accomodations of a cruise liner, is much more economical. Call around
>> to some of the containership companies. There's about 20-30 cabins on
>> all of them!
>
>Actual number of cabins, is much smaller ... possibly closer to 4-6, and
>generally, quite spartan.
>This type of travel is not for everyone. For the most part, you're left to
>your own devices, food is the same as the crew gets, there are no special
>events for passengers and your life aboard, is what you make of it ..... can
>be very relaxing, or boring, depending on your point of view.

Yeah, I see that on the webpages. There seemed to be more cabins on
SeaLand's ships I've been aboard than 3 or 4. There isn't much crew
aboard. Maybe that's the limiting factor.

I'd think it would be very boring, indeed, compared with a cruise
ship. But, unless you got into a crew's card game, at least you'd
arrive in NY with the money you left England with with no place to
gamble it away......

Larry W4CSC
spami...@knology.net

Rick

Feb 7, 2002, 10:26:22 AM2/7/02
>"The bridge, on a containership, is right over the STERN!"

Right where the vibration and pitch are felt the most. Depending on
fork if slamming occurs. The stern will move vertically at about 2 0r 3
Hz, sometimes long enough to start one wondering where the hull will
break ...

Depending on the load the roll rate can be quite fast as well, that's
why there are so many containers floating around the seas, they get
tossed off like stones from a sling. I saw a group of 8 boxes go from
midships to the water without even touching the rail. Think about it,
they moved about 6 feet up and 60 some feet sideways in about 2 seconds.

Big doesn't always mean a smooth ride.

Rick

Rod McInnis

Feb 7, 2002, 11:47:48 AM2/7/02

Larry W4CSC wrote:

> A heavily loaded 950' long ship has GOT to be a smooth ride....(c;

A cruise ship, whose only purpose is to cater to the comfort of the
passengers, may not leave port if the weather is too bad. A passenger
ship would go a considerable distance out of its way to avoid bad
weather, possibly even heading to an alternate port.

A cargo ship is going to press on despite uncomfortable conditions,
altering course or slowing down only at the point that the safety of the
ship itself was in question. It could be a nice ride, it could also be
a horrible experience.

Rod

Larry W4CSC

Feb 7, 2002, 1:37:07 PM2/7/02
I suppose you could carry your sleeping bag and lay out on top of a
container or in the bilge, somewhere....(c;

Larry W4CSC
spami...@knology.net

Norbert Koster

Feb 7, 2002, 3:49:38 PM2/7/02
Larry W4CSC wrote:

> >> Passage on a commercial vessel, while no where near the sumptous
> >> accomodations of a cruise liner, is much more economical. Call around
> >> to some of the containership companies. There's about 20-30 cabins on
> >> all of them!
> >
> >Actual number of cabins, is much smaller ... possibly closer to 4-6, and
> >generally, quite spartan.
> >This type of travel is not for everyone. For the most part, you're left to
> >your own devices, food is the same as the crew gets, there are no special
> >events for passengers and your life aboard, is what you make of it ..... can
> >be very relaxing, or boring, depending on your point of view.
> >
> Yeah, I see that on the webpages. There seemed to be more cabins on
> SeaLand's ships I've been aboard than 3 or 4. There isn't much crew
> aboard. Maybe that's the limiting factor.

International maritime law states that a freighter (or whatever vessel)
can take up to 12 passengers without having to have a physician on
board. Companies take this as the limit and have accomodation
accordingly. Last year I did a tour on a containership (Rotterdam,
Helsinki, Tillbury, Rotterdam) in 8 days, good fun and very relaxing.
USA - Netherlands can be done in 6 days and the next time I have to go
to the states I will try to do just that.

check out http://www.cargoshipcruises.nl/dutch/main.htm for possible
cruises

> I'd think it would be very boring, indeed, compared with a cruise
> ship. But, unless you got into a crew's card game, at least you'd
> arrive in NY with the money you left England with with no place to
> gamble it away......

Bring lots of literature, radio, cardgames etc. The crew doesn't have
any time to pleasure you: most of them work shifts like 6 on 6 off 24/7.

regards.
Norbert Koster
"Sundiver"
Diamond aka Halcyon 27
Netherlands
e-mail: remove "remove_this" from email adress

otnmbrd

Feb 7, 2002, 11:42:20 PM2/7/02

Rod McInnis wrote:

Give me a nice, big, fully loaded tanker, any day .... especially one with
stabilizers...... they may have a phenomenal GM (unlike container ships),
but I sure do like their feel ..... even if the main deck, does spend much
time under water ..... course, hanging on, on the bridge, can be a chore,
with all that GM, when rolling, and it's one weird feeling when they pound
into a head sea and do the up and down, jig.....with the bow bouncing all
over the place and the deck undulating and the after house, having a life of
it's own...... amazing how flexible, good steel can be.

otn

Rick

Feb 7, 2002, 11:58:05 PM2/7/02
>Give me a nice, big, fully loaded tanker, any day ....
>especially one with stabilizers.....

What tanker has stabilizers?

Been on lots of dry cargo ships and ro-ro's with flume tanks but never
seen them or stabilizers on a tanker.

Was on a 125,000dwt crude carrier to China a few years ago and we lost
the Sat A and several other antennae due to whipping from roll in a
typhoon. Lost a lot of deck gear, a couple of rafts, house ladders,
crushed the overhead of the cross passage. My fridge levitated to the
overhead and across the room like in some cheap ghost flick.

Rick

Simple Simon B.

Feb 8, 2002, 12:00:03 PM2/8/02

> Was on a 125,000dwt crude carrier to China a few years ago and we lost
> the Sat A and several other antennae due to whipping from roll in a
> typhoon. Lost a lot of deck gear, a couple of rafts, house ladders,
> crushed the overhead of the cross passage. My fridge levitated to the
> overhead and across the room like in some cheap ghost flick.

Are you trying to say it's probably best if my parents went by plane, after
all?!!

Simon.

Simple Simon B.

Feb 8, 2002, 12:00:59 PM2/8/02

Thanks everybody for your input.

Cheers,
Simon.

otnmbrd

Feb 8, 2002, 12:33:08 PM2/8/02

Rick wrote:

<BG> Sadly, stabilizers are rare on tankers, but, at least, they did
exist. The one I'm most familiar with, was on a 275,000 dwt, way back
when.
It was a Flume system, and quite effective ..... problem is, it cost
cargo,since the Flume tanks, were also cargo tanks .... simple job of
creating by cutting openings between the center and wing tanks.
It never ceases to amaze me, to see the things which get torn loose,
either from direct hits from seas, or just from extreme motion as a ship
pitches or rolls .... recently saw a ship come into port, with the main
engine exhaust, top hat, laying on it's side, on top of the stack (about a
20' x 3' section of pipe). Imagine if it had come totally free and come
down off the stack.

Rick

Feb 9, 2002, 4:05:00 AM2/9/02
>"Are you trying to say it's probably best if
>my parents went by plane, after all?!!"

Absolutely not! Airline pax are just self loading cargo these days, I'd
take the boat and enjoy every minute of it.

If the weather is bad for a day or two it will just add to your parents'
adventure.

The waves were over 80 feet in height and the winds were above 100 for
several days when the fridge went flying, that was one trip out of
hundreds and was in December in the North Pacific.

Rick