Canvas repair questions

ted@not

Oct 22, 2012, 5:23:17 PM10/22/12
I know someone who had a convertible top cut badly in a sort of U shape, so it
will need patching. I've heard that people are starting to use glue instead of
sewing when they make canvas tops etc for boats, and it seems like that sort of
glue would be just the thing. Does anyone know what sort of glue is best for
canvas, or have any suggestions about the project? After finding the canvas
patch material, does anyone know of anything better than Scotchguard to
waterproof it with?

JustWait

Oct 22, 2012, 6:18:04 PM10/22/12
I am not sure what the pros use but I bet it's close to the formulation
for a product sold at hardware stores called "Goo", specifically "Shoe
GOO" (one of the incarnations of "Goo" brand) I have used in boat
building for bonding material and foam, etc. I have used in conjunction
with small fiberglass patches for patching everything from shoes, to our
white water raft, on the fly patches that are flexible and lasted ten
years or more... Grab a tube for ten bucks and a scrap of canvas and
give it a try... You will find that a thin layer on each surface, wait
five minutes, wet them with a bit more and press together not pushing
all of the glue out of the joint will make a great bond that is as
flexible and durable as the canvas itself, maybe more so... When dry,
you would think it was a piece of rubber...

Either way, you can try a tube for less than ten bucks, look for it, let
me know how it went...

Good luck..

*e#c

Oct 22, 2012, 9:02:45 PM10/22/12
Ya, spray it with fucking Pam.....

Sir Gregory Hall, Esq.

Oct 25, 2012, 3:15:23 PM10/25/12
<ted@not.> wrote in message news:s9eb88pus5eab5f61...@4ax.com...
Glue won't get it because a cut in a convertible top leaves insufficient
material for any realistic overlap and glue needs some realistic overlap to
work properly. The only lasting repair is removing the convertible top, color
matching the 'canvas' (probably 'Sunbrella') and sewing a patch on the cut
area. One might need to be creative with the shape of the patch to make it
look like a factory job.

You're welcome.

--
Sir Gregory

JustWait

Oct 25, 2012, 6:37:10 PM10/25/12
Just to note, the suggestion I made should have included the fact that
you would have to make a patch...

Dave U. Random

Oct 26, 2012, 1:23:30 AM10/26/12
Whatever you say Capt. Little Dick.

Capt...@gmail.com

Neal D. Warren/Wilbur Hubbard/Gregory Hall
PO Box 1015
Tavernier, FL 33070
305 304-7546