Missing birds

Andrew Doppel

Sep 10, 2000, 7:26:57 AM9/10/00
I live in NE PA., and I am asking where are the birds? A occasional
crow, but that is it. Suddenly all the birds that were at the feeders
are no more. This is not a backyard situation, but it has been noticed
in the southern tier of NY too. (Binghamton area). Any ideas? Has
anyone else met this situation? Thanks.

George

Sep 10, 2000, 8:21:31 PM9/10/00
Same situation north of Boston. Since the "misssing birds" don't appear to
be a local problem it would be interesting to hear from other areas where
readers may have noticed a similar dirth.
"Andrew Doppel" <av...@epix.net> wrote in message

Robert A & Georgia H Parker

Sep 11, 2000, 3:31:25 PM9/11/00
Sort of the same here south of Boston. No chickadees all summer, and
they are our state (Massachusetts) bird! We have a lot of goldfinch and
house finch, and titmouse and nuthatch appear daily, but nothing like
what we saw at this time last year.....now and then a passing flock of
grackles.....and the resident cardinals and bluejays, but that's it. Now
if we could CHOOSE what would be missing, we would vote for the mourning
doves!

Georgia
Foxborough MA

dashar

Sep 11, 2000, 4:30:36 PM9/11/00

Robert A & Georgia H Parker wrote:

> Sort of the same here south of Boston. No chickadees all summer, and
> they are our state (Massachusetts) bird! We have a lot of goldfinch and
> house finch, and titmouse and nuthatch appear daily, but nothing like
> what we saw at this time last year.....now and then a passing flock of
> grackles.....and the resident cardinals and bluejays, but that's it. Now
> if we could CHOOSE what would be missing, we would vote for the mourning
> doves!

Not here! I have only six mourning doves at the most to visit my feeders. Now
if anybody needs house sparrows, well, I have plenty to spare! I have not had
any starlings this summer. Which is ok. I did see a couple of them the other
day, so I guess they are coming back home to roost.

Sharon
North Central Arkansas

Katrina Knight

Sep 13, 2000, 3:00:00 AM9/13/00
buffaloearl <buffa...@my-deja.com> wrote:
> Same situation in Niagara Falls...at least in my back yard. I
> mentioned to my wife last week that it was weird...all the birds
> disappeared. Occasional Mourning Dove, saw a cardinal last night.
> that's it. usually, there are a dozen gold finches, 3-4 chickadees,
> pair of cardinals, woodpeckers, and the normal finch and sparrow
> population....but for the last week, barren. my wife, jokingly,
> says "West Nile Virus..."

Birds frequently disappear from yards/feeders when natural food is
plentiful, which it is at this time of year if weather conditions have
been reasonable. Also, birds are migrating now, so the ones you had this
summer may have moved on without being replaced by others yet. Some
species that are present year-round are partial migrants, where the
individuals you see in the summer leave and other individuals from
further north replace them during the colder parts of the yer. West Nile
virus apparently does not actually kill most of the birds it infects, so
even if it is in your area, it is probably not responsible for the lack of
birds. Crows are particularly susceptable and die more often than most
other species, which is why the people testing for West Nile in some areas
want dead crows.

--
Katrina

buffaloearl

Sep 13, 2000, 12:32:14 PM9/13/00
Same situation in Niagara Falls...at least in my back yard. I
mentioned to my wife last week that it was weird...all the birds
disappeared. Occasional Mourning Dove, saw a cardinal last night.
that's it. usually, there are a dozen gold finches, 3-4 chickadees,
pair of cardinals, woodpeckers, and the normal finch and sparrow
population....but for the last week, barren. my wife, jokingly,
says "West Nile Virus..."

Sent via Deja.com http://www.deja.com/
Before you buy.