The wetness

Dan

Nov 6, 2010, 2:38:58 PM11/6/10
Just took a spin on my wheelie bike. Over to the High School where they
have the smooth pavement and painted parking lot markers for measuring
wheelies. On road, off road, gravel parking lot, bark dust berms - whee!

There was a Driver's Ed car tooling around over there. I made a few laps
around popping meh wheelies, so decided instead to flip out the presumed
student - who was undoubdtedly monitoring my actions - by going around
behind a building, through a narrow gap between gate and building.

Squirted through there okay, but there the curb that I would drop off of
onto the parking lot again was wholly above grade. I should have bunny-
hopped it, but instead leaned right toward a spot where I could just fly
off (crossed up, even :-). But the wet grass went out from under my big,
fat City Slickers, and I landed so quickly both feet were still on the
platform pedals.

I may have bounced back up from this practically without stopping - still
beaming - what a ride. Even though this was essentially the same type of
crash as last week, wherein I picked up those big raspberries and smaller
avulsions and the cut on my eyebrow, this did not feel like a crash. It
felt like the squishiest football field in November, but with nobody else
hitting you - whee!

After that I rode one (wheelie) from one end to the other - minus one parking
spot at each end, then headed for home, where I tried to ride up a curb end-on
and fell over again on the same side - this time in the grassy gravelly strip
between grass and road, although it was just as soft from all the wet leaves
and duff. Whee!

-- Dan Overman

Dan O

Nov 6, 2010, 4:37:40 PM11/6/10
On Nov 6, 11:38 am, Dan <d...@t23.daisyheadmayzie.net> wrote:
> ... I tried to ride up a curb end-on

> and fell over again on the same side - this time in the grassy gravelly strip
> between grass and road, although it was just as soft from all the wet leaves
> and duff. Whee!

Excuse for falling off the curb: The curb I was trying to ride up
onto was completely buried deep in tall wet grass and copious wet
leaves - I couldn't even see it, but knew it was there, was taking a
guess at where it was, and got the front tire off on one edge of it.

Tom Sherman °_°

Nov 6, 2010, 5:05:51 PM11/6/10
On 11/6/2010 1:38 PM, Dan 0verman wrote:
> [...]

> After that I rode one (wheelie) from one end to the other - minus one parking
> spot at each end, then headed for home, where I tried to ride up a curb end-on
> and fell over again on the same side - this time in the grassy gravelly strip
> between grass and road, although it was just as soft from all the wet leaves
> and duff. Whee!
>
> -- Dan Overman

Riding wheelies is uni-cycling, not bicycling.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Dan

Nov 6, 2010, 9:11:05 PM11/6/10
Tom Sherman °_° <twsherm...@THISsouthslope.net> writes:

> On 11/6/2010 1:38 PM, Dan 0verman wrote:
>> [...]
>> After that I rode one (wheelie) from one end to the other - minus one parking
>> spot at each end, then headed for home, where I tried to ride up a curb end-on
>> and fell over again on the same side - this time in the grassy gravelly strip
>> between grass and road, although it was just as soft from all the wet leaves
>> and duff. Whee!
>>

> Riding wheelies is uni-cycling, not bicycling.

Either way, I never set out to cycle, but to wheelie. I wound up hitting the
ground twice in like about ten minutes of riding, but neither crash felt any
worse than falling out of bed, and the ride was totally worth it :-)

-- Dan Overman

Dan O

Nov 6, 2010, 9:14:47 PM11/6/10
On Nov 6, 6:11 pm, Dan <d...@t23.daisyheadmayzie.net> wrote:

Later I hosed the mud and leaves off of those big slicks (they have
just enoung diagonal sipes to hold onto some mud and leaves) - not the
tires for turning on wet grass.

Dan O

Nov 6, 2010, 9:16:19 PM11/6/10
On Nov 6, 6:11 pm, Dan <d...@t23.daisyheadmayzie.net> wrote:

(We all know what it feels like to fall out of bed, no? ;-)

dusto...@mac.com

Nov 7, 2010, 8:15:08 AM11/7/10
On Nov 6, 3:05 pm, Tom Sherman °_°

<twshermanREM...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote:
> On 11/6/2010 1:38 PM, Dan 0verman wrote:
>
> > [...]
> > After that I rode one (wheelie) from one end to the other - minus one parking
> > spot at each end, then headed for home, where I tried to ride up a curb end-on
> > and fell over again on the same side - this time in the grassy gravelly strip
> > between grass and road, although it was just as soft from all the wet leaves
> > and duff.  Whee!
>
> > -- Dan Overman
>
> Riding wheelies is uni-cycling, not bicycling.

Sorta like riding while reclining, Tom.
(<g>)
--D-y

AMuzi