pronunciation of SRAM?

eflayer2

Apr 13, 2006, 9:50:05 AM4/13/06

Apr 13, 2006, 10:56:11 AM4/13/06
On 13 Apr 2006 06:50:05 -0700, "eflayer2" <efla...@comcast.net> wrote:

Apr 13, 2006, 11:12:53 AM4/13/06

Apr 13, 2006, 11:32:16 AM4/13/06

Apr 13, 2006, 11:47:48 AM4/13/06
> ssssram?
> S-R-A-M?

The "official" answer:

http://www.sram.com/en/service/sram/faq.php?faqID=d3d9446802a44259755d38e6d163e820

or

http://tinyurl.com/63oju

eflayer2

Apr 13, 2006, 11:56:46 AM4/13/06
That makes it about as clear as mud. Does that mean they are being
mysterious? Or every time one mentions the company they are supposed
to say S -- R -- A -- M?

Somehow IBM flows, SRAM blows.

Sorni

Apr 13, 2006, 12:39:26 PM4/13/06

'snot.

Sorni

Apr 13, 2006, 12:41:39 PM4/13/06

Why did you snip the link? Click it, read it. The tell you exactly how to
pronounce it.

Bill "srchmam" S.

Tim McNamara

Apr 13, 2006, 2:14:49 PM4/13/06
In article <vups329bbdipl9dr9...@4ax.com>,
RonSonic <rons...@tampabay.rr.com> wrote:

How about it. What a stupid-ass name for a company.

jobst....@stanfordalumni.org

Apr 13, 2006, 2:35:39 PM4/13/06
someone writes:

> shhram?
> s-ram?
> ssssram?
> S-R-A-M?

In the mirror is works out as Mars and that's easy. Othert than that,
I hear it pronounced "Ess ram" and I don't care so long as the product
works.

Jobst Brandt

Werehatrack

Apr 13, 2006, 2:36:36 PM4/13/06

Umm, sort of. They say what it means, and they say how *not* to
pronounce it, but as the consonant construction at the beginning of
the word is not used in the English language, there's no precedent for
how it *is* pronounced. Just saying "It's SRAM" isn't much help; to
me, that means "probably ser-am", most likely with the accent on the
second part if any, but it's just conjecture on my part in the absence
of a statement that's adequate.
--
Typoes are a feature, not a bug.

Phil, Squid-in-Training

Apr 13, 2006, 2:38:50 PM4/13/06
Werehatrack wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:41:39 GMT, "Sorni"
> <soryousucknyour...@san.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> eflayer2 wrote:
>>> That makes it about as clear as mud. Does that mean they are being
>>> mysterious? Or every time one mentions the company they are
>>> supposed to say S -- R -- A -- M?
>>>
>>> Somehow IBM flows, SRAM blows.
>>
>> Why did you snip the link? Click it, read it. The tell you exactly
>> how to pronounce it.
>
> Umm, sort of. They say what it means, and they say how *not* to
> pronounce it, but as the consonant construction at the beginning of
> the word is not used in the English language, there's no precedent for
> how it *is* pronounced. Just saying "It's SRAM" isn't much help; to
> me, that means "probably ser-am", most likely with the accent on the
> second part if any, but it's just conjecture on my part in the absence
> of a statement that's adequate.

What about the new Specialized "roo-BA-yicks?"
--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

Sorni

Apr 13, 2006, 2:53:32 PM4/13/06
Werehatrack wrote:
> On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 16:41:39 GMT, "Sorni"
> <soryousucknyour...@san.rr.com> wrote:
>
>> eflayer2 wrote:
>>> That makes it about as clear as mud. Does that mean they are being
>>> mysterious? Or every time one mentions the company they are
>>> supposed to say S -- R -- A -- M?
>>>
>>> Somehow IBM flows, SRAM blows.
>>
>> Why did you snip the link? Click it, read it. The tell you exactly
>> how to pronounce it.
>
> Umm, sort of. They say what it means, and they say how *not* to
> pronounce it, but as the consonant construction at the beginning of
> the word is not used in the English language, there's no precedent for
> how it *is* pronounced. Just saying "It's SRAM" isn't much help; to
> me, that means "probably ser-am", most likely with the accent on the
> second part if any, but it's just conjecture on my part in the absence
> of a statement that's adequate.

Hank Stram.

Now remove the 't'.

HTH? BS

Skippy

Apr 13, 2006, 3:01:29 PM4/13/06

"Phil, Squid-in-Training" <phil_leeIHEA...@hotmail.com> wrote in
message news:RUw%f.10625$IZ2.2826@dukeread07...

Or that Italian Cam-pagg-know-low? I remember pronouncing the T in Huret
too! I was 11 though.

Skippy
E&OE

Zog The Undeniable

Apr 13, 2006, 4:16:54 PM4/13/06
eflayer2 wrote:

> shhram?
> s-ram?
> ssssram?
> S-R-A-M?

SACHS

or

SEDIS

Most shops will know what you mean ;-)

Zog The Undeniable

Apr 13, 2006, 4:21:58 PM4/13/06
Phil, Squid-in-Training wrote:

> What about the new Specialized "roo-BA-yicks?"

In the UK we wet ourselves with laughter at the US pronunciation of
"buoy". I can't watch "Crimson Tide" with a straight face.

Pat in TX

Apr 13, 2006, 4:44:56 PM4/13/06

> In the UK we wet ourselves with laughter at the US pronunciation of
> "buoy". I can't watch "Crimson Tide" with a straight face.

There must be a booming business for urologists if you in the UK can't laugh
without wetting yourselves.

Zog The Undeniable

Apr 13, 2006, 4:51:54 PM4/13/06
Pat in TX wrote:

> There must be a booming business for urologists if you in the UK can't laugh
> without wetting yourselves.

:-)

Maybe that's another expression that never crossed the pond.

Todd Tracy

Apr 13, 2006, 5:32:44 PM4/13/06

Maybe the name is unpronounceable, like that symbol Prince changed his
name to a few years ago. So we should say, "The company formerly known
as SACHS."

Richard Sachs

Apr 13, 2006, 5:39:15 PM4/13/06

"Todd Tracy" <todd....@comcast.net> wrote in message

yeah -
they couldn't take the heat.
e-RICHIE©T®

Morten Reippuert Knudsen

Apr 13, 2006, 6:14:09 PM4/13/06
Zog The Undeniable <hroth...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> eflayer2 wrote:

> > shhram?
> > s-ram?
> > ssssram?
> > S-R-A-M?
> >
> SACHS

> or

> SEDIS

Maillard, Huret...

--
Morten Reippuert Knudsen :-) <http://blog.reippuert.dk>

PowerMac G5: 1.6GHz, 1,25GB RAM, 300+300GB SATA, 16xDVD DL, Bluetooth
mus+tastatur, R9600PRO, iSight, eyeTV200 & LaCie Photon18Vision TFT.

Hank Wirtz

Apr 14, 2006, 11:23:46 AM4/14/06

"Morten Reippuert Knudsen" <sp...@reippuert.dk> wrote in message

> Zog The Undeniable <hroth...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>> eflayer2 wrote:
>
>> > shhram?
>> > s-ram?
>> > ssssram?
>> > S-R-A-M?
>> >
>> SACHS
>
>> or
>
>> SEDIS
>
> Maillard, Huret...

Simplex?

eflayer2

Apr 14, 2006, 11:31:10 AM4/14/06
everyone knows it is pronounced sim-play!

Jasper Janssen

Apr 14, 2006, 11:42:23 AM4/14/06
On Thu, 13 Apr 2006 21:21:58 +0100, Zog The Undeniable
<hroth...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>In the UK we wet ourselves with laughter at the US pronunciation of
>"buoy". I can't watch "Crimson Tide" with a straight face.

One of them is 'boy' and the other 'boo-j', right? Which is which?

Jasper

Message has been deleted

Ted Bennett

Apr 14, 2006, 12:14:08 PM4/14/06
Jasper Janssen <jas...@jjanssen.org> wrote:

The letter y is never pronounced "j" in English.

--
Ted Bennett

Anthony A.

Apr 14, 2006, 1:27:06 PM4/14/06
Scram, minus the 'c'.

thomas.t...@gmail.com

Apr 14, 2006, 6:23:26 PM4/14/06
eflayer2 wrote:
> shhram?
> s-ram?
> ssssram?
> S-R-A-M?

Having been an engineer for 25 years and designed circuit boards with
static-random-access-memory, or static RAM, or SRAM chips, I have
always pronounced the company S-RAM, because that's how we refer to the
memory chips. It seems that I am in the minority, from looking at this
thread.

Tom

Ozark Bicycle

Apr 14, 2006, 6:31:03 PM4/14/06

Anthony A. wrote:
> Scram, minus the 'c'.

Bingo!

Sorni

Apr 14, 2006, 6:49:56 PM4/14/06

My card was filled 23 hours earlier, so there.

Pppplllllllll.

Morten Reippuert Knudsen

Apr 15, 2006, 3:41:42 AM4/15/06
Hank Wirtz <ha...@removeme.wirtznet.net> wrote:

not a part of SACHS.

Jasper Janssen

Apr 15, 2006, 4:03:18 PM4/15/06
On 14 Apr 2006 15:23:26 -0700, "trey...@my-deja.com"
<thomas.t...@gmail.com> wrote:

>Having been an engineer for 25 years and designed circuit boards with
>static-random-access-memory, or static RAM, or SRAM chips, I have
>always pronounced the company S-RAM, because that's how we refer to the
>memory chips. It seems that I am in the minority, from looking at this
>thread.

It's what I did, but the bikey people I know pronounce it as (thanks, post
upthread) Scram-without-the-c, so I started doing that instead. It's handy
to distinguish between the two kinds of sram, at least in speech.

Jasper

Michael

Apr 16, 2006, 10:24:15 AM4/16/06

Hmmm ... I just realized that I always say "s-ram" without a second's pause.
And for the very reason you stated: electrical-engineer-speak. :-)

--
Michael

Zog The Undeniable

Apr 17, 2006, 12:10:48 PM4/17/06
Jasper Janssen wrote:

> One of them is 'boy' and the other 'boo-j', right? Which is which?

British English is "boy". US English is "boo-ee".