Simple Green

Zilla

Nov 28, 2001, 7:48:21 PM11/28/01
Originally posted in alt.mountain-bike by Gary.

-Zilla

Nov 29, 2001, 6:34:51 AM11/29/01
Remind me not to leave my bike soaking in full strength Simple Green for
a week. <G>

Barry

Bluto

Nov 29, 2001, 3:02:11 PM11/29/01
Barry <nos...@snet.net> wrote:

> Remind me not to leave my bike soaking in full strength Simple Green for
> a week. <G>

Hey, it looks like a way to reduce the weight of your frame by 8.4%.
Folks pay big money for that!

Chalo Colina

Daniel Connelly

Nov 29, 2001, 3:22:29 PM11/29/01

Anyone want to start a business.... we can charge the going rate of $2/gram.... :)

Dan

Arthur Ogawa

Dec 19, 2001, 2:14:11 AM12/19/01
Zilla wrote:

> [...]

It's true that aluminum should not be exposed to strongly alkaline
materials, and the basis of Simple Green's grease-cutting ability is its
high alkalinity---think of it as akin to lye. I would also avoid its use
on titanium parts for a like reason.

In our bike maintenance, we try to minimize the use of solvents for
cleaning. Simple Green is used to clean steel parts (particularly drive
chain and sprockets) and plastic parts (like derailleur pulleys). I
consider it superior to solvent-based parts cleaners because it
emulsifies the grease/dirt, allowing the parts to be rinsed with water,
obtaining a far cleaner part. We reuse the SG, so cleaning an entire
drive train may entail a scant ounce of SG.

You may chose to discontinue your use of SG on the basis of its being
banned from use on aircraft. But please consider the wisdom of your
alternative choice (an orange-oil cleaner, like CitriSolv, may be a good
candidate). At any rate, SG is not contraindicated on steel and plastic parts.

Nontheless, dispose of waste materials in a responsible way, and avoid
contact with skin, especially if you notice a defatting effect.

Art

ajames

Dec 19, 2001, 8:36:13 AM12/19/01
On Wed, 19 Dec 2001 07:14:11 GMT, Arthur Ogawa <og...@teleport.com>
wrote:

>Zilla wrote:

most of the common Citrus based cleaners are highly acidic and can
cause the same sorts of problems as simple green... ultimately though
if used on steel drive parts either of those cleaners would be OK as
long as they were rinsed afterwards... for the rest of the bike though
there is nothing wrong with mild dish soap.