Masi 3V anygood ?

Kapualani Brown

Jun 15, 2001, 10:09:07 AM6/15/01
Performance bike has some Masi 3V frames on sale made from Columbus EL-OS.
I had a Masi about 20 years ago that I liked, I think it was made out of
531.
Does anybody know how these bikes ride ?

Thanks

Paul Kopit

Jun 15, 2001, 11:09:59 AM6/15/01
I think that the older Masi was Italian made and the newer ones are
made in California by the same company that makes/made Medici's. They
ride fine. I think the Simonetti brand is also the same maker.

David P. Schwartz, Ph.D.

Jun 16, 2001, 9:55:36 AM6/16/01
The 3Vs are a crit-type bike- very stiff for steel and very quick handling.
Lots of fun if you like to hammer and go fast, not so fun on a rough-road
century!

Mine is Italian made and except for easily-chipped paint its been sweet.

Dave
"Kapualani Brown" <ka...@sdccu.net> wrote in message

TNyzio

Jun 23, 2001, 10:10:56 AM6/23/01
I've been riding a 1992 3V for close to five years, and I've had no complaints
whatsoever. It IS a little heavier than some bikes (Record 9 speed components
and early production Electron wheels only bring it down to 20.5 pounds), but to
be honest, I don't notice it. Frankly, I have not seen another bike that I'd
rather be riding. The workmanship is wonderful, and the bike just oozes class
(which partially offsets my lack of speed).

That said, there are a few caveats. A 3V will NOT ride like your older Masi.
It will be far stiffer and possibly (probably?) not as comfortable. It will,
however, climb better, despite the weight, due to the stiffness. Also, be
aware that specs have changed over the years. My bike was built in California
with True Temper main tubes (although no tubing decals were used back then).
Then Reynolds 753 was used (with True Temper stays, from what I've heard), then
Columbus EL-OS. Later production was also switched to Italy (I've heard to
Mondonico's shop). There is also the question of whether this is a "real"
Masi, since it's not built under the supervision of Alberto Masi, but rather by
people who purchased the rights to the name. Its heritage can, however, be
traced back to the original 3V design of Alberto Masi, who actually made a
number of frames for the owners of the Masi trademark in America.

The model sold by Performance is probably still a wonderful bike, and an
INCREDIBLE bargain. I don't know where else you could get a pro bike for that
money. If it wasn't for the screwed up distribution over the past couple of
years, the sale wouldn't exist. It is not, however, the same kind of Masi you
remember, and it is also not even the same 3V that I'm riding.

Merrill and Lisa Hoekstra

Jun 23, 2001, 9:26:39 PM6/23/01
There is a guy in CT who is importing bikes built by Alberto Masi Jr. under the
name Milano. One of the bikes is called "3V Volumetrica." It is built with
Dedaccai steel (MCMVD????) and is internally lugged like the original. Very nice
bikes at about 1,500 for the frameset. I think his email is milan...@aol.com.

Merrill Hoekstra

Qui si parla Campagnolo

Jun 24, 2001, 9:15:13 AM6/24/01
tny-<< There is also the question of whether this is a "real"

Masi, since it's not built under the supervision of Alberto Masi, >>

But Faliero-no?, the father-<<

Its heritage can, however, be
traced back to the original 3V design of Alberto Masi, who actually made a
number of frames for the owners of the Masi trademark in America. >>

Peter Chisholm
Vecchio's Bicicletteria
1833 Pearl ST.
Boulder, CO, 80302
(303)440-3535
http://www.vecchios.com

Bikefixr

Jun 28, 2001, 6:59:48 PM6/28/01
There are no more Masi bikes made in the states. Schwinn owns the name now for
the US. All MASI bikes are made in Italy. They can be had,though. Genuine Masi
built 3-V's are available under the Milano Sport name. I have owned 2 of these
as well as a couple older vintage 3-V's. The newer ones are far superior as far
as weight, ride quality and aesthetics. Alberto makes 'em better than Faliero
ever did.