Bicyclist Edwin Gardner has died from injuries in crash with SUV

TheCoz

Jul 23, 2010, 2:10:33 PM7/23/10

Anton Berlin

Jul 23, 2010, 2:14:02 PM7/23/10
Up until the 90s when a cyclist got hit by a car they most often
rolled up on to the hood and across the windshield. When an SUV hits
a cyclist the rider get rolled and crushed underneath the vehicle.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Jul 23, 2010, 2:25:28 PM7/23/10

it's a jungle out there. This girl was killed and she wasn't even on the
road.

http://snipurl.com/zrrn9 [www_startribune_com]

Davey Crockett

Jul 23, 2010, 2:39:05 PM7/23/10
"GoneBeforeMyTime" a écrit profondement:

| it's a jungle out there. This girl was killed and she wasn't even on the
| road.
>
| http://snipurl.com/zrrn9 [www_startribune_com]

That's really tragic

--
Davey Crockett

Anton Berlin

Jul 23, 2010, 2:50:24 PM7/23/10
Bus driver wants to kill cyclists and blogs about it.

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting/2010/07/trimet_driver_offers_mea_culpa.html

Some crazy fuck putting up trip wires for cyclists?

http://blog.oregonlive.com/commuting/2010/07/police_investigating_bicycle_t.html#incart_rh

Did Glenn Beck declare war on us while we were out riding???

Anton Berlin

Jul 23, 2010, 2:52:34 PM7/23/10
Rider killed when driver drops cell phone and goes to pick it up.

http://www.amarillo.com/stories/072310/new_news1.shtml

RicodJour

Jul 23, 2010, 3:07:01 PM7/23/10

Very much so. My nephew has led some of the Bike & Build groups
across country. It's a really fine organization. These kids form
really strong bonds in a very short time on these rides, and they're
doing great work.

The news accounts of the incident really piss me off. Every one of
them mentions that she was txting or on her phone, as if that had
anything to do with the accident. She was off the road! The truck
driver was either figuratively or literally asleep at the wheel. His
only fucking job is to get his load from point A to point B without
hitting anything.

Here's the letter from Bike & Build outlining what happened and their
response:
http://bikeandbuild.org/LetterToBBCommunity_July21.pdf

RicodJour

Jul 23, 2010, 3:20:32 PM7/23/10

GoneBeforeMyTime

Jul 23, 2010, 6:34:04 PM7/23/10

I'm not sure how much truck driver behavior has changed since the old days,
but I hope they have at least some. Since I moved to the mountains a few
decades ago I don't encounter them like I use to down in the valley. Lots of
trucks, big trucks out on the rural roads. I remember narrowly averting
death a number of times because I perceived truck drivers often didn't give
a rat's ass, and if you didn't clear out, you were dead meat. I have even
had truck drivers try to go off the road a little bit into the gravel
portion where I did clear out of, just to tell me that it's their road, and
if you are anywhere near my truck, you're dead meat. I've seen truck drivers
laugh at me after they almost creamed me. I've also flipped a few of them
off too, obviously because of their reckless regard for human life.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Jul 23, 2010, 6:37:03 PM7/23/10

It is, horrible.

One of my best friends was killed by a old lady who said she couldn't see
over the dashboard.

Anton Berlin

Jul 23, 2010, 11:13:59 PM7/23/10

I like the idea of the aware psychotic trucker vs the oblivious
texting soccer mom in the SUV. At least he will blow his horn and let
you know he's about to run you over. She will sneak up and run you
down without a peep.

Kurgan Gringioni

Jul 24, 2010, 3:38:40 AM7/24/10

"Anton Berlin" <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
: Up until the 90s when a cyclist got hit by a car they most often

: rolled up on to the hood and across the windshield. When an SUV hits
: a cyclist the rider get rolled and crushed underneath the vehicle.

Dumbass -

I got hit by a pickup in 1989 and went into the windshield. Things have
definitely changed.

One thing that helps cyclists is: expensive gas. When that happens, the
vehicles shrink.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Anton Berlin

Jul 24, 2010, 9:37:51 AM7/24/10
On Jul 24, 2:38 am, "Kurgan Gringioni" <soulinthemach...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> "Anton Berlin" <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

My point was that while the fulcrum point of cyclists has remained a
constant it has gone progressively higher as a whole since then. Just
compare Toyota p/u trucks as example. I'd think getting hit by 1981
would be preferred to getting hit by a 2010 Tundra not because of size
or mass but because where the cyclist's body goes.

Anton Berlin

Jul 24, 2010, 9:41:44 AM7/24/10
wrote:
> "Anton Berlin" <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Gas doesn't seem to make that much difference yet. The other thing I
see (in Texas anyway) is that these large SUVs end up with people that
can afford the gas but don't seem to be able to afford tires. What
happens when these tires blow out? A 3 ton missile driven (very
often) by an illegal alien that probably also doesn't have insurance.

K. Fred Gauss

Jul 24, 2010, 12:18:09 PM7/24/10
Kurgan Gringioni wrote:

> One thing that helps cyclists is: expensive gas. When that happens, the
> vehicles shrink.

It does for a while. Then everyone get used to it and starts buying gas
hogs again. They started selling these before gas hit $3.00 / gallon for
the first time:
http://www.lexus.com/models/ISF/

They're still selling. Who needs a 416hp sedan? I do!!!

GoneBeforeMyTime

Jul 24, 2010, 1:12:18 PM7/24/10

I got hit head-on by a nurse driving a lower cut sporty car, it's been a
long time. I still have the police report somewhere so I can't remember
exactly the make or model, but what saved me is that I was able to plan my
ejection off my bike so as not to get creamed. She was in my lane when she
came around the corner of the mountain so I had no time to do much except to
plan my landing. Since it was a low cut car and I was as high or higher
standing on my pedals, when the car impacted my bike I went flying straight
over the top of the car like a guided missile. That was my plan, lucky to be
old fashion pedals that day and regular tennis shoes. I just got on my tip
toes on the edge of the pedals and prepared myself for the catapultion. My
only body impact was the handlebars as I took flight. I had a bruise on the
shin bone from where I hit the bars on my take off. The flight was smooth
like Superman, no cape. If that was an SUV, I would of been plastered to her
front window.

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Jul 24, 2010, 2:27:32 PM7/24/10
On Jul 24, 6:37 am, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 24, 2:38 am, "Kurgan Gringioni" <soulinthemach...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

> > "Anton Berlin" <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > : Up until the 90s when a cyclist got hit by a car they most often
> > : rolled up on to the hood and across the windshield.  When an SUV hits
> > : a cyclist the rider get rolled and crushed underneath the vehicle.
>
> > Dumbass -
>
> > I got hit by a pickup in 1989 and went into the windshield. Things have
> > definitely changed.
>
> > One thing that helps cyclists is: expensive gas. When that happens, the
> > vehicles shrink.
>
> > thanks,
>
> > Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
>
> My point was that while the fulcrum point of cyclists has remained a
> constant it has gone progressively higher as a whole since then.  Just
> compare Toyota p/u trucks as example.  I'd think getting hit by 1981
> would be preferred to getting hit by a 2010 Tundra not because of size
> or mass but because where the cyclist's body goes.

Dumbass -

I agree, but fuel efficient vehicles tend to have a low center of mass
(Prius, Fiesta, Leaf) because they're smaller everywhere including
heightwise.

Unfortunately, I doubt that Peak Oil has happened yet.

RicodJour

Jul 24, 2010, 3:06:31 PM7/24/10
On Jul 24, 2:27 pm, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."

<kgringi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I agree, but fuel efficient vehicles tend to have a low center of mass
> (Prius, Fiesta, Leaf) because they're smaller everywhere including
> heightwise.

A Prius is not particularly short for a small car. I don't think a
body notices where the vehicle's center of mass is. Bodies notice
hitting things.

RicodJour

Jul 24, 2010, 3:31:27 PM7/24/10
On Jul 24, 12:18 pm, "K. Fred Gauss" <I...@just.dont.know.anymore>
wrote:

Well, sure, if you want to limp along on only 2/3 of the power you
really need.
http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/07/mercedes-new-cl65-amg-will-now-pack-621-horses/1

H. Fred Kveck

Jul 24, 2010, 7:47:56 PM7/24/10
In article <5095d357-b8a3-495c...@e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,
RicodJour <rico...@worldemail.com> wrote:

The car seems kind of tall but the nose is pretty low. That'd help a bit on the
"knocked down and run over" front, I think. In other words, a struck cyclist might
end up on the hood, rather than simply knocked to the ground, etc.

K. Keith Gauss

Jul 24, 2010, 8:16:53 PM7/24/10

It's a COUPE! How do you expect me to get the baby in the back seat of
that thing?

RicodJour

Jul 24, 2010, 8:27:17 PM7/24/10
On Jul 24, 8:16 pm, "K. Keith Gauss" <Ke...@Where.Are.The.Nachos>
wrote:

> RicodJour wrote:
>
> > Well, sure, if you want to limp along on only 2/3 of the power you
> > really need.
> >http://content.usatoday.com/communities/driveon/post/2010/07/mercedes...

> It's a COUPE! How do you expect me to get the baby in the back seat of
> that thing?

If you're driving that thing you will be able to get any number of
babies into the back seat - the trouble will be getting them to keep
their panties on.

Zeno

Jul 24, 2010, 8:37:06 PM7/24/10

Many am talk radio, bloggers & "columnists" all contribute a bs macho
attitude that treats cyclists like some kind of a commie liberal
element that is trying to take over "our roads." We are just another
minority group like soccer fansto be made sport of -even here in
enlightened Denver-boulder. It's not unusual for some ahole in a
pickup to cut it way to close on an open street when I am all the way
to the right & then shake his head or give me the finger at me like I
am a rat in his
kitchen.They think they r making some kind of a political statement
when there 4500 lb vehicle shaves my shorts. (Btw I drive an f150 &
I've.never had a problem giving a cyclist room) that kind of Macho
poser attitude gets people killed. I never ride during happy hour on
Friday. It's open season for misguided rednecks.

Anton Berlin

Jul 24, 2010, 8:38:53 PM7/24/10
On Jul 24, 6:47 pm, "H. Fred Kveck" <YOURhow...@h-SHOESbomb.com>
wrote:
> In article <5095d357-b8a3-495c-ae00-159c611b0...@e5g2000yqn.googlegroups.com>,

>  RicodJour <ricodj...@worldemail.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 24, 2:27 pm, "Kurgan. presented by Gringioni."
> > <kgringi...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > I agree, but fuel efficient vehicles tend to have a low center of mass
> > > (Prius, Fiesta, Leaf) because they're smaller everywhere including
> > > heightwise.
>
> > A Prius is not particularly short for a small car.  I don't think a
> > body notices where the vehicle's center of mass is.  Bodies notice
> > hitting things.
>
> The car seems kind of tall but the nose is pretty low. That'd help a bit on the
> "knocked down and run over" front, I think. In other words, a struck cyclist might
> end up on the hood, rather than simply knocked to the ground, etc.

That's the entire concept - whether the car helps you roll on to the
top or rolls over you.

notice how stuntmen always jump up and hit the windshield in the
Streets of San Francisco?