Stage 18 report. Armstrong seeks asylum.

Michael Press

Jul 23, 2010, 1:17:37 PM7/23/10
Armstrong seeks asylum.

13:40 CEST
Speaking of which, Lance Armstrong, the man who used
to be the hammer but is now the nail (his words), met
with French president Nicolas Sarkozy after
yesterday's stage atop the Tourmalet.

--
Michael Press

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jul 23, 2010, 1:21:35 PM7/23/10
"Michael Press" <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Does the French Foreign Legion still take on anyone who wants to join?

I'm wondering if all the grief we got on the Tourmalet yesterday was due to
Sarkozy being there. We were stopped with 10k to go by a guy who literally
coralled us on a side street (dead end, no escape). And on the way up, HOURS
before the race (starting at 1pm when the race was scheduled to hit about
4:30) two towns had Gendarmes telling cyclists sorry, road closed. We got
past those (sidestreets and garmins are a wonderful combination) but that
last one we had no place to go. Never been treated like that before, and it
was entirely different a few days earlier on the Port de Bales.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Chuckie

Jul 23, 2010, 7:22:48 PM7/23/10

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/van-den-broeck-clashes-with-sarkozy

"Van den Broeck started shouting out his annoyance as he tried to find
his way down. Cyclingnews told him that it was the car of the French
president and he said, "It can be anybody. I don't care.""

Betty

Jul 24, 2010, 7:08:40 AM7/24/10
Chuckie wrote:
> "Van den Broeck started shouting out his annoyance as he tried to find
> his way down. Cyclingnews told him that it was the car of the French
> president and he said, "It can be anybody. I don't care.""

Perhaps he's from Flanders.