Ping: Mike J. OT (or not, like I can tell anymore)

RicodJour

Sep 14, 2011, 1:58:09 AM9/14/11
I am curious about how the bike industry is handling (or not) the huge
wave of Chinese knockoffs. The stuff has been flooding eBay at
ridiculously low prices, exact replicas, logos and all. I ran across
this recently:
http://i572.photobucket.com/albums/ss163/zljoyce/Bottle%20Cages/IMG_5921.jpg

I think it's safe to assume that Giant wouldn't spell the company name
'Giart' and bicycle 'Boycle'...right? At least the counterfeiters got
the 'All rights reserved' part right!

I called up Topeak a while back to notify them of some knockoffs on
eBay (with only a slight impetus from the hope they'd send me
something for free - didn't happen), and the rep didn't seem concerned
about it at all. So what's the deal? Are the bike companies just
throwing up their hands?

Frederick the Great

Sep 14, 2011, 3:05:38 AM9/14/11
In article
<cfbb9713-ed3f-4c3d...@o15g2000vbe.googlegroups.com>,
RicodJour <rico...@aol.com> wrote:

Giant is part of it.

--
Old Fritz

Davey Crockett

Sep 14, 2011, 5:44:50 AM9/14/11
RicodJour a écrit profondement:
Get the CinC to send a coupla GunBoats

He seems to send them everywhere these days

Teach the Wankerz a lesson they'll remember for a while.

(CinC == Chimp in Charge)

--
Davey Crockett
Cheryl Cole has flown to Afghanistan to meet troops

RicodJour

Sep 14, 2011, 9:35:17 AM9/14/11
On Sep 14, 5:44 am, Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:

> Get the CinC to send a coupla GunBoats
>
> He seems to send them everywhere these days
>
> Teach the Wankerz a lesson they'll remember for a while.

Okay. What's your address? :)~

Davey Crockett

Sep 14, 2011, 10:14:57 AM9/14/11
RicodJour a �crit profondement:

1600 Pennsylvania Avenue.

--
Davey Crockett
Flying the Flag of the English

BL

Sep 14, 2011, 11:39:55 AM9/14/11
They really have no choice about becoming concerned due to the
possibility of law suits for damages caused by "their" defective
products. I don't think they have much ultimate liability (depending on
the facts as to supply and distribution of fakes that cause injury), but
it could cost them some $$ do defend and get out of such legal actions.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Sep 15, 2011, 1:31:59 AM9/15/11
"RicodJour" <rico...@aol.com> wrote in message
A typical company "rep" may not care. They're working hard to try and
meet each month's quotas and not get fired, so their allegiance to the
company, in terms of the big picture, is often weak. It's not that they
don't care. It's more simple than that. They don't care. That's a pretty
broad brush and doesn't apply to many reps, and there are certainly reps
who would see that their own ability to meet their numbers is being
undermined by counterfeit goods or even quality problems with their own
product.

Beyond that, US companies are often in a bit of a quandy because they've
become dependent upon China for manufacturing and have had to make
compromises to deal with a world in which intellectual property rights
aren't held in very high regard. Witness the many fake Apple stores in
China.

Even domestically things can get weird due to incestuous relationships
between companies.

I am curious about the story behind that tag though.

(Sorry for the delay in replying; I was in Las Vegas for the trade
show).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Anton Berlin