2-year Doping Ban for Longo?

Brad Anders

Sep 9, 2011, 10:51:07 AM9/9/11
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/longo-in-hot-water-with-afld

She may be "the most tested athlete in the world", but if she skipped
a control, the rules apply to everyone. Especially if she's done it
three times.

Plano Dude

Sep 9, 2011, 12:35:49 PM9/9/11
The statement ""Since the beginning of her career, Jeannie Longo-
Ciprelli has been tested more often than any other athlete in the
world without the results ever leaving the slightest doubt over her
sporting exemplarity,” Ravaz said." isn't true either. IIRC, she
tested positive in 1986 after attempting the hour record in Colorado
Springs.

Fred Flintstein

Sep 9, 2011, 1:07:55 PM9/9/11
Reading between the lines it looks like she may have come to a decision
where responding to test rules was no longer relevant. Most people
wouldn't do it this way but she does many things in her own way.

BL

Sep 9, 2011, 3:33:07 PM9/9/11
Looks like a skirmish developing between Longo and Armstrong. Hope they
don't run into each other at a certain eatery in Aspen. lol

Phil H

Sep 9, 2011, 3:43:42 PM9/9/11
If you give an infinite number of monkeys a type writer, one of them
will actually write something. By definition, the possibility of a
type I error is probably close to .01. Which means if you test an
athlete 100 times they will likely test false positive once given they
are clean. We can expect a knee jerk reaction of "we gotcha" for
journalists, Lafferty and those who know nothing about testing.
As for the implication of "attempting" the world hour record and
testing positive, the record is on the books so what was the outcome
of the drug test exactly?
September 20, 1986 - World Hour Record, USA - (44,77028 km) at
altitude, Vélodrome 7-Eleven in Colorado Springs.
Thanks

Phil H

Sep 9, 2011, 4:39:24 PM9/9/11
Hmm, only in your dreams.

Lose your dreams
And you will lose your mind.
Aint life unkind?

Still waiting for Tuesday :)
Ruby.

Simply Fred

Sep 9, 2011, 5:12:16 PM9/9/11

Phil H wrote:
> Hmm, only in your dreams.
>
> Lose your dreams
> And you will lose your mind.
> Aint life unkind?
>
> Still waiting for Tuesday :)
> Ruby.

Don't push him off of his cloud.

Fred Flintstein

Sep 9, 2011, 5:32:56 PM9/9/11
From Jan 6th of this year:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/longo-no-longer-frightened-by-retirement

Longo no longer frightened by retirement

Fifty-two-year-old Frenchwoman Jeannie Longo has hinted that she is
considering retirement. The multiple world champion is considering her
future in the sport, saying her participation this season is only a
"maybe" and that she is "a bit tired psychologically".

Having previously stated that her Olympic career is over following
seven appearances, the veteran has confirmed that London is out of the
question. "I don't have this in mind, absolutely not," Longo said.

BL

Sep 9, 2011, 6:00:49 PM9/9/11
I'd put my money on Longo kicking his remaining nut all the way back to
Plano.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Sep 9, 2011, 6:16:06 PM9/9/11
I imagine the only thing Longo and Armstrong would
have to argue about is which one of them has to put
you in the headlock and which one gets to administer
the noogie.

According to the article, Longo's three strikes are two
cases of providing insufficient whereabouts information
and one case of not being at the hotel when USADA
showed up. While rules are the rules, it's not like she
skipped out of a post-race doping control, which is
what I thought from reading the posts upthread.

I bet the French cycling federation would like to see
Longo go away.

Fredmaster Ben

BL

Sep 9, 2011, 6:20:04 PM9/9/11
I recall that Armstrong was accused of hiding from the testers. Wasn't
it Anderson, his PA, who made that charge?

Davey Crockett

Sep 9, 2011, 7:29:25 PM9/9/11
Plano Dude a écrit profondement:

| The statement ""Since the beginning of her career, Jeannie Longo-
| Ciprelli has been tested more often than any other athlete in the
| world without the results ever leaving the slightest doubt over her
| sporting exemplarity,” Ravaz said." isn't true either. IIRC, she
| tested positive in 1986 after attempting the hour record in Colorado
| Springs.

She said it was "Dans le Maquillage" that time
but I forget the outcome.

(In the Make-Up)

--
Davey Crockett
Flying the Flag of the English

Plano Dude

Sep 10, 2011, 11:39:38 PM9/10/11

I may be off on the year, but I heard it directly from this man.

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51qCNEpRJmL._SL500_.jpg

Plano Dude

Sep 11, 2011, 11:32:59 AM9/11/11

Frederick the Great

Sep 11, 2011, 2:21:30 PM9/11/11
In article
<551c69b5-00e9-40a3...@m5g2000vbm.googlegroups.com>,
Plano Dude <tx.was...@gmail.com> wrote:

Reformers will always be with us.
What rags me is they never reform
and only make trouble. They think
they can fix things by telling
others what to do.

--
Old Fritz

Frederick the Great

Sep 11, 2011, 2:21:58 PM9/11/11
In article
<7348f895-220f-4a26...@r8g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
Plano Dude <tx.was...@gmail.com> wrote:

Shocking!

--
Old Fritz

Davey Crockett

Sep 11, 2011, 3:45:39 PM9/11/11

Fred Flintstein

Sep 12, 2011, 9:04:49 AM9/12/11
On 9/9/2011 5:16 PM, Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:

> I bet the French cycling federation would like to see
> Longo go away.

She's 52. Isn't that the retirement age in France?

Davey Crockett

Sep 12, 2011, 9:33:55 AM9/12/11
Fred Flintstein a écrit profondement:
Was 60 until November 2010 when the Hungarian Ragpicker put the boots to
the workingman (again) and upped it to 62

http://static.guim.co.uk/sys-images/Guardian/Pix/pictures/2010/9/6/1283787324812/Nicolas-Sarkozy-006.jpg

--
Davey Crockett
Lord Taylor of Warwick out of the Cooler

Brad Anders

Sep 12, 2011, 9:00:07 PM9/12/11
On Sep 12, 6:04 am, Fred Flintstein <bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net>
wrote:
No, it's 40. You can't expect people to work beyond middle-age.

Plano Dude

Sep 12, 2011, 10:12:45 PM9/12/11
EPO. Courtesy of Joe Papp.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Sep 13, 2011, 12:03:42 AM9/13/11
On Sep 12, 6:04 am, Fred Flintstein <bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net>
wrote:

As Ilan will happily point out, it would be a violation
of European employment law to deny anyone the right
to engage in work stoppages, which are a fundamental
human right under the French constitution.

So although one may be pensioned off, one is still
not "retired" per se.

Fredmaster Ben

Plano Dude

Sep 13, 2011, 12:39:45 AM9/13/11

Fred Flintstein

Sep 13, 2011, 9:09:06 AM9/13/11
Papp sold EPO to a fairly significant number of athletes that
weren't cyclists. But it certainly isn't obvious.

When will other sport federations get in on the fun? Never?

Brad Anders

Sep 13, 2011, 9:23:47 AM9/13/11
On Sep 13, 6:09 am, Fred Flintstein <bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net>
wrote:
> On 9/12/2011 11:39 PM, Plano Dude wrote:
>
> > On Sep 12, 9:12 pm, Plano Dude<tx.wastel...@gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> EPO. Courtesy of Joe Papp.
>
> >http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves2011/20110912_222906_ciprelli-au...
>
> Papp sold EPO to a fairly significant number of athletes that
> weren't cyclists. But it certainly isn't obvious.
>
> When will other sport federations get in on the fun? Never?

Why is it that the names of athletes Papp sold to seems to keep
dribbling out, a new name every few months? Thought all this would
have come out at once.

Brad Anders

Sep 13, 2011, 9:20:21 AM9/13/11
wrote:
> On 9/12/2011 11:39 PM, Plano Dude wrote:
>
> > On Sep 12, 9:12 pm, Plano Dude<tx.wastel...@gmail.com>  wrote:
> >> EPO. Courtesy of Joe Papp.
>
> >http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/breves2011/20110912_222906_ciprelli-au...
>
> Papp sold EPO to a fairly significant number of athletes that
> weren't cyclists. But it certainly isn't obvious.
>
> When will other sport federations get in on the fun? Never?

IMO, at 52, you should be permitted to use EPO. And a Gruber. And some
T.

Fred Flintstein

Sep 13, 2011, 9:42:54 AM9/13/11
Dude, you just described the US Fatty Masters racing scene.

A. Dumas

Sep 13, 2011, 1:45:37 PM9/13/11
On 13/09/2011 15:23, Brad Anders wrote:
> Why is it that the names of athletes Papp sold to seems to keep
> dribbling out, a new name every few months? Thought all this would
> have come out at once.

He may have told all to the authorities in one go, and they may have
chosen not to act on every bit of information.

Davey Crockett

Sep 13, 2011, 2:30:00 PM9/13/11
"A. Dumas" a écrit profondement:

| 2001:888:1dc3:0:21f:5bff:fef2:b12e

I just love that IPV6 addy

Are you using it on your own puter too or was it your nntp host that
translated it?

A. Dumas

Sep 13, 2011, 4:04:27 PM9/13/11
On 13/09/2011 20:30, Davey Crockett wrote:
> Are you using it on your own puter too or was it your nntp host that
> translated it?

Definitely using it, but completely transparent. The router sets up a
tunnel, computer has both ipv4 and ipv6 address. My ISP is fairly
forward-thinking in these matters, also offers native ipv6 on the same
ADSL line but I would need a new modem for that.

Originally set it up because of free binary usenet downloading from ipv6
enabled servers at Xsnews and Xs4all, from outside their network. I'm
back at Xs4all as my ISP so wouldn't necessarily need it anymore but the
one from Xsnews has far longer retention. (Unfortunately you need a
login which they don't give away for free anymore, it seems.)

Fred Flintstein

Sep 13, 2011, 5:18:07 PM9/13/11
Given that he sold to lots of athletes and only cyclists are being
charged, this is almost certainly the case.

Plano Dude

Sep 14, 2011, 1:07:32 AM9/14/11

Excuse the fuck out of me, asshat.

http://www.nytimes.com/1987/11/13/sports/sports-people-drug-report-assailed.html?src=pm

SPORTS PEOPLE; Drug Report Assailed
Published: November 13, 1987

Jeannie Longo of France, who holds more than 10 world records in
cycling, had never tested positive in drug tests in nine years of
competition until traces of ephedrine were found in her system after
she won a 3-kilometer race in September at Colorado Springs. ''I'm the
most sane athlete about drugs, amphetamines,'' she said yesterday in
Grenoble, France, after the drug report from the American Cycling
Federation was received by the French Cycling Federation and made
public. ''I have never wanted to touch forbidden products,'' Longo
said. ''I will not accept a suspension because a suspension for me is
a condemnation.'' Longo said that the source of the minute quantities
of ephedrine came from taking exosuline as part of her program of
phytotherapy, an herbal medicine treatment popular in France. She
faces a possible suspension of up to six months, which might threaten
her chances of winning a berth on the French Olympic team.

Plano Dude

Sep 14, 2011, 1:14:31 AM9/14/11
> http://www.nytimes.com/1987/11/13/sports/sports-people-drug-report-as...

> SPORTS PEOPLE; Drug Report Assailed
> Published: November 13, 1987
>
> Jeannie Longo of France, who holds more than 10 world records in
> cycling, had never tested positive in drug tests in nine years of
> competition until traces of ephedrine were found in her system after
> she won a 3-kilometer race in September at Colorado Springs. ''I'm the
> most sane athlete about drugs, amphetamines,'' she said yesterday in
> Grenoble, France, after the drug report from the American Cycling
> Federation was received by the French Cycling Federation and made
> public. ''I have never wanted to touch forbidden products,'' Longo
> said. ''I will not accept a suspension because a suspension for me is
> a condemnation.'' Longo said that the source of the minute quantities
> of ephedrine came from taking exosuline as part of her program of
> phytotherapy, an herbal medicine treatment popular in France. She
> faces a possible suspension of up to six months, which might threaten
> her chances of winning a berth on the French Olympic team.

For her part [in the 1988 Olympic road race], Longo wasn't talking.
But she was furious when the U.S. Cycling Federation disallowed her 3-
km velodrome world record, set in November in Colorado Springs,
because traces of ephedrine, a stimulant, were found in her system.
She accused the Americans of trying to "destabilize" her before the
Olympics and vowed not to race again in the U.S. until Dr. Robert Voy,
the U.S.O.C.'s chief medical officer, who supervises drug testing for
the Cycling Federation, is removed.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1067821/index.htm

BL

Sep 14, 2011, 11:35:46 AM9/14/11
What does "sane" mean in this context?

'I have never wanted to touch forbidden products,'' Longo
> said.

Never wanted, perhaps, but did she need and use forbidden products. She
has to be as clean a Jeanson(sp?)

Davey Crockett

Sep 14, 2011, 12:40:03 PM9/14/11
BL a écrit profondement:

| > Jeannie Longo of France, who holds more than 10 world records in
| > cycling, had never tested positive in drug tests in nine years of
| > competition until traces of ephedrine were found in her system after
| > she won a 3-kilometer race in September at Colorado Springs. ''I'm the
| > most sane athlete about drugs, amphetamines,'' she said yesterday in
| > Grenoble, France, after the drug report from the American Cycling
| > Federation was received by the French Cycling Federation and made
| > public. '

| What does "sane" mean in this context?

I tried to find her original statement in French to see what she
actually did say, but no luck

| She has to be as clean a Jeanson(sp?)

But at least Jeannie is married to her coach when she humps him
Jeanson was not ;)

Jeannie sez:
«Je suis le mouton noir, l'incongruité. Mon image dépasse celle du sportif.»

BL

Sep 14, 2011, 12:45:40 PM9/14/11
On 9/14/2011 12:40 PM, Davey Crockett wrote:
> BL a écrit profondement:
>
> |> Jeannie Longo of France, who holds more than 10 world records in
> |> cycling, had never tested positive in drug tests in nine years of
> |> competition until traces of ephedrine were found in her system after
> |> she won a 3-kilometer race in September at Colorado Springs. ''I'm the
> |> most sane athlete about drugs, amphetamines,'' she said yesterday in
> |> Grenoble, France, after the drug report from the American Cycling
> |> Federation was received by the French Cycling Federation and made
> |> public. '
>
> | What does "sane" mean in this context?
>
> I tried to find her original statement in French to see what she
> actually did say, but no luck
>
> | She has to be as clean a Jeanson(sp?)
>
> But at least Jeannie is married to her coach when she humps him
> Jeanson was not ;)

Anyone know what Jeanson is up to these days?

Davey Crockett

Sep 14, 2011, 1:03:33 PM9/14/11
BL a écrit profondement:

| Anyone know what Jeanson is up to these days?

Last I heard she'd split the sheets and moved out of the house she was living in with her coach
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Jeanson0206_199.jpg/220px-Jeanson0206_199.jpg

She says she'll never race again and now has a restaurant

BL

Sep 14, 2011, 2:59:04 PM9/14/11
On 9/14/2011 1:03 PM, Davey Crockett wrote:
> BL a �crit profondement:

> | Anyone know what Jeanson is up to these days?
>
> Last I heard she'd split the sheets and moved out of the house she was living in with her coach
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/f/f7/Jeanson0206_199.jpg/220px-Jeanson0206_199.jpg
>
> She says she'll never race again and now has a restaurant

Serving all natural foods--no supplements.

Phil H

Sep 14, 2011, 5:00:58 PM9/14/11
> http://www.nytimes.com/1987/11/13/sports/sports-people-drug-report-as...
>
> SPORTS PEOPLE; Drug Report Assailed
> Published: November 13, 1987
>
> Jeannie Longo of France, who holds more than 10 world records in
> cycling, had never tested positive in drug tests in nine years of
> competition until traces of ephedrine were found in her system after
> she won a 3-kilometer race in September at Colorado Springs. ''I'm the
> most sane athlete about drugs, amphetamines,'' she said yesterday in
> Grenoble, France, after the drug report from the American Cycling
> Federation was received by the French Cycling Federation and made
> public. ''I have never wanted to touch forbidden products,'' Longo
> said. ''I will not accept a suspension because a suspension for me is
> a condemnation.'' Longo said that the source of the minute quantities
> of ephedrine came from taking exosuline as part of her program of
> phytotherapy, an herbal medicine treatment popular in France. She
> faces a possible suspension of up to six months, which might threaten
> her chances of winning a berth on the French Olympic team.- Hide quoted text -

So what are you implying, Jeannie is a chronic doper? Or she
unwittingly got a trace of some drug (ephedrine) in her system?
Which is it?
Phil H

Plano Dude

Sep 14, 2011, 8:32:57 PM9/14/11
We don't know if ephedrine in her system was an unwitting error or
not. The 80's were a really "slushy" time regarding uniform doping
testing as well as enforcement.

Regardless, I am implying neither of your viewpoints. Why does it have
to be one or the other? My original post that you replied to was this:

The statement "Since the beginning of her career, Jeannie Longo-
Ciprelli has been tested more often than any other athlete in the
world without the results ever leaving the slightest doubt over her
sporting exemplarity,” Ravaz said." isn't true either. IIRC, she
tested positive in 1986 after attempting the hour record in Colorado
Springs.

Ravaz's comment isn't true. I wrote IIRC, which means If I Recall
Correctly. I was off on the details but the point still holds and I
later substantiated it with links.

Plano Dude

Sep 14, 2011, 8:47:53 PM9/14/11
An example of the "slushiness" is that it appears that the USCF
refused to ratify her 1987 3k record set in Colorado Springs based on
the ephedrine positive yet the FFC did not enforce any suspension on
the incident.

derf...@gmail.com

Sep 14, 2011, 8:52:46 PM9/14/11
On Sep 13, 9:23 am, Brad Anders <pband...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Why is it that the names of athletes Papp sold to seems to keep
> dribbling out, a new name every few months? Thought all this would
> have come out at once.

because the longer it takes to dribble them out, the longer the name
"Papp" stays in the spotlight, which seems to be what he wanted all
along, whether it was for being on the bike or otherwise.

Phil H

Sep 14, 2011, 11:35:48 PM9/14/11
She is either a deliberate doper and continued to dope more carefully
(unlikely) or
was a deliberate doper and gave it up after being busted (more likely)
or
somehow unintentionally had traces of a banned substance (even more
likely).
Did I cover all possible outcomes?

> The statement "Since the beginning of her career, Jeannie Longo-
> Ciprelli has been tested more often than any other athlete in the
> world without the results ever leaving the slightest doubt over her
> sporting exemplarity,” Ravaz said." isn't true either. IIRC, she
> tested positive in 1986 after attempting the hour record in Colorado
> Springs.

> Ravaz's comment isn't true. I wrote IIRC, which means If I Recall
> Correctly. I was off on the details but the point still holds and I
> later substantiated it with links.

OK, I looked up her hour record and saw it was on the books. But this
event was not the one hence your IIRC.
Thanks for letting us know the correct event. An interesting situation
and difficult to conclude anything.

Phil H

Davey Crockett

Sep 15, 2011, 5:55:18 AM9/15/11
Phil H a écrit profondement:

| OK, I looked up her hour record and saw it was on the books. But this
| event was not the one hence your IIRC.
| Thanks for letting us know the correct event. An interesting situation
| and difficult to conclude anything.

She didn't actually hold the "Hour" record until 2000

The record holders
46.065 km/h Leontien Zijlaard-Van Moorsel (NED), October 2003
45.094 km/h Jeannie Longo-Ciprelli (FRA), December 2000
44.767 km/h Jeannie Longo-Ciprelli (FRA), November 2000
43.501 km/h Anna Wilson-Millward (AUS), October 2000

Here are some _Best Performances_
(An _Attempt_ is very expensive - you have to declare it and meet a
whole shiteload of regulations and conditions)
(var)

48.159 km/h Jeannie Longo-Ciprelli (FRA), October 1996
47.411 km/h Yvonne McGregor (GBR), June 1995
47.112 km/h Cathérine Marsal (FRA), April 1995
46.352 km/h Jeannie Longo-Ciprelli (FRA), October 1989
44.933 km/h Jeannie Longo-Ciprelli (FRA), September 1987
****************44.770 km/h Jeannie Longo-Ciprelli (FRA), September 1986
43.082 km/h Keetie van Oosten-Hage (NED), September 1978
41.471 km/h Maria Cressari (ITA), November 1972
41.347 km/h Elsy Jacobs (LUX), November 1958

--
Davey Crockett
Is This Milk Fresh?

Plano Dude

Sep 16, 2011, 5:40:49 PM9/16/11
On Sep 14, 10:35 pm, Phil H <pholma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > So what are you implying, Jeannie is a chronic doper? Or she
> > > unwittingly got a trace of some drug (ephedrine) in her system?
> > > Which is it?
> > > Phil H
>
> > We don't know if ephedrine in her system was an unwitting error or
> > not. The 80's were a really "slushy" time regarding uniform doping
> > testing as well as enforcement.
>
> > Regardless, I am implying neither of your viewpoints. Why does it have
> > to be one or the other? My original post that you replied to was this:
>
> She is either a deliberate doper and continued to dope more carefully
> (unlikely) or
> was a deliberate doper and gave it up after being busted (more likely)
> or
> somehow unintentionally had traces of a banned substance (even more
> likely).
> Did I cover all possible outcomes?

I don't care. Whether she doped once or a thousand times was never my
point or my interest, though clearly not obvious enough for you.

Phil H

Sep 17, 2011, 1:01:57 PM9/17/11
Your point was to correct the statement about Longo's unblemished
record and in doing so you cast aspersions.
Looking into the incident a little more, it is inconclusive whether or
not she was a deliberate doper. That's my point of interest.
Is that clear enough for you?
Phil H

Plano Dude

Sep 17, 2011, 3:44:41 PM9/17/11
I don't think aspersions means what you think it means. By
_correcting_ the statement (and providing substantiation) about
Longo's unblemished record, by definition I am not casting an
aspersion.

Since your point of interest is not the same as mine, I really don't
give a shit about yours except when you try to put words in my mouth.
I made a statement refuting her representative's claim; nothing else.
So kindly fuck off.

Phil H

Sep 17, 2011, 8:58:28 PM9/17/11
A mind reader are we? In case there is any doubt.... "an unfavorable
or damaging remark; slander: Don't cast aspersions on my honesty."
The fact that you brought up a counter to Longo's unblemished record
assertion, I would definitely call that unfavorable or
damaging.....don't yer think?
Do you think her lawyer knew about that incident? FU2
Phil H

Plano Dude

Sep 17, 2011, 9:05:45 PM9/17/11
Idiot,
Show where I wrote something _false_ that is unfavorable or damaging.
That is core to something being slanderous, or in the case of the
written word, libelous.

You're a fine Dunning Kruger example.

Plano Dude

Sep 17, 2011, 9:12:04 PM9/17/11
The incident is a fact. Whether her lawyer knew about it is not my
problem.

Along those lines, do you think he knew about this quote:

"In a sport as drug-tainted as cycling, it seemed necessary to ask
whether doping might be part of Longo’s longevity.

"Her response was surprisingly ambiguous. Instead of a flat “no,” she
launched into a long-winded explanation of how there are no level
playing fields in sports “because we all do what we can to be better.”
She complained that the anti-doping controls to which elite athletes
are subjected are “lamentable, unforgivable” and noted there are
cheats in the finance world, too.

Phil H

Sep 18, 2011, 12:49:33 AM9/18/11
> You're a fine Dunning Kruger example.- Hide quoted text -

Why would you continue a dialogue with someone you consider an idiot;
what does that make you?
An aspersion doesn't necessarily have to be false, anything that would
put down or slam someone, true or not, is an aspersion.
As someone who doesn't give a rats or is not, as you say, my problem,
you spend a lot of time and energy. Do you have a problem with being
right or having the last word?
What other chains do you have that I can yank?

Amazing, in your next post you trot out another quote. You can back
pedal all you want but your implications are obvious.
Phil H

A. Dumas

Sep 18, 2011, 6:25:30 AM9/18/11
On 18/09/2011 03:05, Plano Dude wrote:
> Show where I wrote something _false_ that is unfavorable or damaging.
> That is core to something being slanderous, or in the case of the
> written word, libelous.

Depends on the jurisdiction. In the UK, incredibly, truth is not a defense.

atriage

Sep 18, 2011, 7:26:14 AM9/18/11
Not quite.

"Under English common law, proving the truth of the allegation was originally a
valid defence only in civil libel cases. Criminal libel was construed as an
offence against the public at large based on the tendency of the libel to
provoke breach of peace, rather than being a crime based upon the actual
defamation per se; its veracity was therefore considered irrelevant. Section 6
of the Libel Act 1843 allowed the proven truth of the allegation to be used as a
valid defence in criminal libel cases, but only if the defendant also
demonstrated that publication was for the "Public Benefit"."

It's only *not* a defense for invasion of privacy cases which are a different
thing from libel of course.

A. Dumas

Sep 18, 2011, 9:52:49 AM9/18/11
Right, thanks.

atriage

Sep 18, 2011, 10:37:05 AM9/18/11

Frederick the Great

Sep 18, 2011, 1:30:00 PM9/18/11
In article <lMqdnZ42wJXKSOjT...@brightview.co.uk>,
Thanks for putting that one to rest.

--
Old Fritz

Fred Flintstein

Sep 18, 2011, 1:41:39 PM9/18/11
Jesus Fucking Christ, she's 52 and retired. She won't come back.
Papp is one of the least credible witnesses imaginable, even
less credible than Floyd. That doesn't matter in doping cases
but in a criminal prosecution it does.

Totally nuts.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Sep 18, 2011, 2:33:39 PM9/18/11
On Sep 18, 10:41 am, Fred Flintstein

<bob.schwa...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net> wrote:
> On 9/18/2011 9:37 AM, atriage wrote:
>
> >http://www.velonation.com/News/ID/9811/French-court-launches-enquiry-...

> > The thick plottens.
>
> Jesus Fucking Christ, she's 52 and retired. She won't come back.
> Papp is one of the least credible witnesses imaginable, even
> less credible than Floyd. That doesn't matter in doping cases
> but in a criminal prosecution it does.
>
> Totally nuts.

You know what? I hope they suspend her for two
years and she comes back and wins races after the
suspension is up, just to piss off the FFC and everybody
arguing about her Fucking Ephedrine test in Fucking 1986.

You know she could, too.

Fredmaster Ben

atriage

Sep 18, 2011, 3:10:43 PM9/18/11

It was part of our master plan to send the whole of rbr to sleep.

RicodJour

Sep 18, 2011, 3:13:35 PM9/18/11
On Sep 18, 2:33 pm, Fredmaster of Brainerd <bjwei...@gmail.com> wrote:

> You know what?  I hope they suspend her for two
> years and she comes back and wins races after the
> suspension is up, just to piss off the FFC and everybody
> arguing about her Fucking Ephedrine test in Fucking 1986.
>
> You know she could, too.

Well, we've seen how she rides when she's not mad. It would be a
fearsome thing to see her ride with a grudge. She'd rip off
everybody's legs and hit them with the wet end.

Davey Crockett

Sep 18, 2011, 3:14:49 PM9/18/11
Fredmaster of Brainerd a écrit profondement:

| You know what? I hope they suspend her for two
| years and she comes back and wins races after the
| suspension is up, just to piss off the FFC and everybody
| arguing about her Fucking Ephedrine test in Fucking 1986.

| You know she could, too.

Nice post

100 bragging points

--
Davey Crockett
How to avoid a Speeding Ticket

Simply Fred

Sep 18, 2011, 5:00:57 PM9/18/11
atriage wrote:
> It was part of our master plan to send the whole of rbr to sleep.

Bots never sleep.

Frederick the Great

Sep 18, 2011, 6:27:38 PM9/18/11
In article <9p2ik8-...@donaldm.homeip.net>,
Simply Fred <no...@mailinator.com> wrote:

But Win doze.

--
Old Fritz

atriage

Sep 19, 2011, 3:23:10 AM9/19/11
Ah that's right, you have to talk nonsense to them and they go of the rails...it
all becomes clear now...