Reason why Lance stuff drags and drags and drags

Mike Jacoubowsky

May 22, 2011, 10:09:51 PM5/22/11
Trying to figure out why this whole mess has taken so long, why it
wasn't over and done with years ago. There's so much stuff flying out
there, from David Walsh to Novitsky to 60 minutes to whatever. And then,
reading through the recent threads here, something became obvious.
Consider the three different focuses of people wanting to see Lance
drawn & quartered-

#1: Those who hate Lance because he's too successful, and they see
success as a sort of arrogance that should be put down.
#2: Those who want Lance punished because they believe he doped and they
see doping as a terrible thing in cycling.
#3: Those who want Lance punished because he was part of a mis-use of
public monies

Obviously there are combinations of the three, but the problem is that
people like Walsh don't really care about the money, and the money
people often don't really care about the doping. The multi-pronged
approach, instead of making a case against Lance stronger, actually
dilutes it because people either don't understand it or don't buy into
the total package. The exception would be those in the first camp; they
don't need any more evidence than they had when Lance won his first TdF
(or maybe his second or third, if I want to be charitable). They saw
something that didn't add up and to them, it's about time the world
caught up to their way of thinking. They're probably the most-frustrated
of all (because of how long this has been drawn out).

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Anton Berlin

May 23, 2011, 12:28:08 AM5/23/11
Mike - there also those that just like to see a little more truth in
the world we live in.

Cycling for me was something pure.

It would be good if Lance said "Yes i did it" and went on to help make
cycling something close to 'pure' again.

But then again - who'd watch a Giro stage like today's when mere
humans wouldn't even finish.

It looked pretty hard for the best dopers in the world to complete
today.

--D-y

May 23, 2011, 12:47:05 AM5/23/11
On May 22, 11:28 pm, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> Mike  - there also those that just like to see a little more truth in
> the world we live in.
>
> Cycling for me was something pure.

Understood. But it never was pure, from the first events up through
the last time your local training groups or races-- sanctioned or
informal-- met.

Making Lance into The Great Satan-- why? They were all doping.

> It would be good if Lance said "Yes i did it" and went on to help make
> cycling something close to 'pure' again.

It's never going to be pure, and the next upping of the ante is going
to be even harder to detect.

Looks like it's a little late to offer amnesty. But, maybe not.

> But then again - who'd watch a Giro stage like today's when mere
> humans wouldn't even finish.

> It looked pretty hard for the best dopers in the world to complete
> today.

Better racing through chemistry?
--D-y

Simply Fred

May 23, 2011, 5:25:51 AM5/23/11
Anton Berlin wrote:
> Cycling for me was something pure.

There's nothing pure in this world. Next thing you'll be wanting a white
wedding with Liz.

Mike Jacoubowsky

May 23, 2011, 12:39:34 PM5/23/11
"Anton Berlin" <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

Cycling on a personal basis can be something pure. But if you got into
cycling believing that, as a sport, it was something pure... you set
yourself up for quite a disappointment. How old were you when the Dave
Stoller line "Everybody cheats. I just didn't know" hit home? Even back
in the 70s we had no illusions that cyclists weren't doped in Europe.
Eddy was certainly on the list, yet we still held the competition in
high regard.

NoDannyNo

May 23, 2011, 1:05:07 PM5/23/11
On May 22, 10:09 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

You gotta wonder if Armstrong has ever asked himself: "Would all this
be happening if I weren't such a douchebag?"

Fred Flintstein

May 23, 2011, 2:20:48 PM5/23/11

Mike,

I don't believe Anton is being 100% forthright about this. As
you note, his level of stupidity would have to be pretty high.
I'm skeptical he's as stupid as he appears to be.

More likely he's got some personal grudge against LANCE that
he's been carefully nursing all these years. I think everyone
recognizes that LANCE is not the worlds most likable guy.

Frederick the Great

May 23, 2011, 4:18:14 PM5/23/11
In article
<7641ed6c-e646-46c0...@h9g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
Anton Berlin <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Cycling for me was something pure.

So? You found otherwise. Bashing people who do not
share your outrage is not the way out. Professional
cycling is too insignificant to rate what you put into it.

--
Old Fritz

Frederick the Great

May 23, 2011, 4:20:33 PM5/23/11
In article <CaOdnSqPeYkdOEfQ...@giganews.com>,
Fred Flintstein <bob.sc...@sbcremoveglobal.net> wrote:

Then there is Gadret.

--
Old Fritz

RicodJour

May 23, 2011, 8:09:06 PM5/23/11
On May 23, 2:20 pm, Fred Flintstein <bob.schwa...@sbcremoveglobal.net>
wrote:

> On 5/23/2011 11:39 AM, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> > "Anton Berlin"<truth_88...@yahoo.com>  wrote in message

> >> Mike  - there also those that just like to see a little more truth in
> >> the world we live in.
>
> >> Cycling for me was something pure.
>
> >> It would be good if Lance said "Yes i did it" and went on to help make
> >> cycling something close to 'pure' again.
>
> >> But then again - who'd watch a Giro stage like today's when mere
> >> humans wouldn't even finish.
>
> >> It looked pretty hard for the best dopers in the world to complete
> >> today.
>
> > Cycling on a personal basis can be something pure. But if you got into
> > cycling believing that, as a sport, it was something pure... you set
> > yourself up for quite a disappointment. How old were you when the Dave
> > Stoller line "Everybody cheats. I just didn't know" hit home? Even back
> > in the 70s we had no illusions that cyclists weren't doped in Europe.
> > Eddy was certainly on the list, yet we still held the competition in
> > high regard.
>
> Mike,
>
> I don't believe Anton is being 100% forthright about this. As
> you note, his level of stupidity would have to be pretty high.
> I'm skeptical he's as stupid as he appears to be.
>
> More likely he's got some personal grudge against LANCE that
> he's been carefully nursing all these years. I think everyone
> recognizes that LANCE is not the worlds most likable guy.

Of course it's personal. Who wouldn't want to take it out on somebody
that stole their youthful trusting/optimistic outlook and naivete?

Goddammit - LANCE killed the fucking Easter Bunny AND Santa Claus!

LANCE made the sport impure - I'm sure we can all agree on that.
Before Anton pointed this out, I was under the mistaken impression
that Mr. Stoller was right. Now I know.

Thanks, Anton!*

*BTW, Anton, I went to DiFara's for the first time the other day, and
now have conclusive proof that you are full of shite on another,
entirely separate matter. You may make a fine pizza - may being the
operative word - but there's no way that your pizza is better. It's
simply not possible. YOU may like YOUR pizza better (surprise!), and
your bunghole buddies might swear to that as well, but there is quite
clearly not enough room left for improvement after Dom DeMarco does
his thing. I went to lunch there early and was decidedly _not_ hungry
as I'd eaten a big diner breakfast an hour and a half earlier. Never
taste test when you're hungry.

Mike Jacoubowsky

May 24, 2011, 12:28:43 AM5/24/11
"NoDannyNo" <riggo...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

====

You gotta wonder if Armstrong has ever asked himself: "Would all this
be happening if I weren't such a douchebag?"

====

Do you think many people at the top, whether in board rooms or sports,
spend much time with self-examination and/or questioning whether what is
now happening is a result of their own screw ups? To some extent, their
success depends upon a degree of self-assurance, at least outwardly,
that is beyond reason. (That Lance survived his cancer isn't an
indication that self-examination isn't worthwhile)

Brad Anders

May 24, 2011, 1:06:00 AM5/24/11
On May 22, 9:28 pm, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It would be good if Lance said "Yes i did it" and went on to help make
> cycling something close to 'pure' again.

"Again"? What, like it was in the 1970's with the ABL and the white
socks rules, and you spent hours cleaning your Gitane for the big 25
mile race on Sunday? Hate to tell you, but the pros were doping then,
too. Nothing's changed, except the drugs work a lot better than the
did then.

I always thought it was misplaced nostalgia that drove BL, I see it's
your drug, too.

Simply Fred

May 24, 2011, 4:58:08 AM5/24/11
RicodJour wrote:
> Goddammit - LANCE killed the fucking Easter Bunny AND Santa Claus!

And now the tooth fairy has taken out a contract on him.