Finally some nutritional advice for all RBR's

Anton Berlin

Mar 12, 2011, 9:27:30 AM3/12/11

Simply Fred

Mar 12, 2011, 3:16:50 PM3/12/11
On 03/12/11 16:27, Anton Berlin wrote:
> http://consumerist.com/2011/03/burger-kings-stacker-deal-uses-questionable-math-robs-customers-of-bacon.html

Sartre must have had a premonition of American eating habits when he
wrote Nausea.

Ryan Cousineau

Mar 14, 2011, 12:00:59 PM3/14/11
I noticed the fuzzy bun math when I first saw these ads, but getting shorted on bacon is the real tragedy.

Of course, I once set up a spreadsheet to calculate the cost/area of a pizzeria's pricing permutations on each size and the 1-fer and 2-fer prices. It was complicated by deciding how to calculate and price the crust zone.

And that is why I need to lose weight,

Anton Berlin

Mar 14, 2011, 12:53:40 PM3/14/11
On Mar 14, 11:00 am, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed the fuzzy bun math when I first saw these ads, but getting shorted on bacon is the real tragedy.

I am patenting a method for delivering bacon for all short - changed
fatties. Just like dieters carry little packages of nutra-sweet to
add to their tea.

e.g. Some fatty is in need of extra bacon - they text my dispatch
center and without even having to get off the couch or toilet I'll use
one of those little remote control hummingbirds (just like the
military is using to spot terrorists) to deliver an extra strip or
two directly to their cheese burger, cheesy tots or ice cream
sundae.

For RBR - there will be a larger model that can hover and precisely
drop up to a whole pound of cooked fatback if needed.

Deak

Mar 15, 2011, 6:12:04 PM3/15/11

Deep-fried chocolate-covered bacon at a booth at the State Fair last
summer, between the corn-dogs and the tortillas. Didn't get to try
them because the line was too long.

Anton Berlin

Mar 15, 2011, 9:40:16 PM3/15/11

> Deep-fried chocolate-covered bacon at a booth at the State Fair last
> summer, between the corn-dogs and the tortillas.  Didn't get to try
> them because the line was too long.

Meanwhile ----- the tofu and sprouts booth didn't have a single
customer the entire time.

Welcome to Texas - if it's not fried - it ain't cooked.

thirty-six

Mar 16, 2011, 1:14:38 PM3/16/11

Sounds just like Glasgow, except warmer.

Uncle Dave

Mar 16, 2011, 5:41:21 PM3/16/11
On Mar 14, 4:00 pm, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I noticed the fuzzy bun math when I first saw these ads, but getting shorted on bacon is the real tragedy.

Just out of interest, can you get proper bacon in America, or is it
all that wafer-thin crinkly re-constituted stuff as used in BK etc.?

UD

Anton Berlin

Mar 16, 2011, 10:28:38 PM3/16/11

The thick chewy applewood smoked bacon also known as "the devils
candy" is best in America IMHO.

And this is from a guy that hates everything else 'merican.

I've had acceptable bacon elsewhere but nothing like the kind we can
get here.

German Landjäger from the Black Forest is a favorite treat - there's a
little place in Titisee that ends up keeping them so long they become
extra chewy and flavorable, The spicy sopresetta and other hot
italian sausages and coppa are great. They are all over Italy I
didn't think too highly of the english bangers and fags

Uncle Dave

Mar 17, 2011, 4:21:01 AM3/17/11

I don't know why nobody else seems to like proper bacon outside the
UK. They all seem to want to cure it, or leave it for months until
it no longer resembles meat at all. I like all the usual processed
bacons - Schwarzwaldschinken, Parma ham etc., - but you can't beat a
proper bacon sandwich. In all my years living and working around
Europe, I never saw any "natural" bacon which is very odd I think.
Not that means it doesn't exist, I just never saw it. You can
understand why they would cure it for longer in order to keep it for
longer, but as to why they won't eat it "fresh" I just don't
understand at all.

UD

P.S. You obviously haven't tasted proper bangers - there are some
rare beauties out there. Our local butcher's for example. Absolutely
dee-fucking-lishus.

A. Dumas

Mar 17, 2011, 8:50:06 AM3/17/11
Uncle Dave wrote:
> I don't know why nobody else seems to like proper bacon outside the
> UK. They all seem to want to cure it,

Bacon, by definition, is cured. Salting is curing.

RicodJour

Mar 17, 2011, 9:40:18 AM3/17/11

Two peanuts were walking down the road.
One was a salted.

Uncle Dave

Mar 17, 2011, 6:38:30 PM3/17/11

I was exaggerating in order to make my point that most other countries
process it to death, one way or the other, until it no longer
resembles meat...

UD

thirty-six

Mar 17, 2011, 8:31:04 PM3/17/11

Injecting the meat with brine and phosphates (should never happen, but
is common) is hardly natural. The better bacon and gammon I've had
without costing an arm and a leg is that sourced from Ulster. The
standards of animal husbandry I suspect are higher in Ireland than
Britain and they are not importing mature livestock from low farming
standards on the continent, which happens much for "British meat".
The slaughter, hanging and curing process themselves are iimportant,
but best to start with a healthy animal for the best meat.

So, do you think that perhaps it is poor farming standards and poor
meat flavour and texture that lead to overprocessing of the meat in
mainland Europe?

Uncle Dave

Mar 18, 2011, 6:43:32 AM3/18/11

All I can say about that is that while one sees pigs and cows in
fields through the UK, one hardly ever sees them in Germany. Despite
the fact that pig meat - in one guise or another - is a very big part
of the German diet. It all depends where you buy and who you buy
from. Cheap meat you feed to dogs.

UD

Fred Flintstein

Mar 18, 2011, 9:21:03 AM3/18/11
On 3/18/2011 5:43 AM, Uncle Dave wrote:
> All I can say about that is that while one sees pigs and cows in
> fields through the UK, one hardly ever sees them in Germany. Despite
> the fact that pig meat - in one guise or another - is a very big part
> of the German diet. It all depends where you buy and who you buy
> from. Cheap meat you feed to dogs.

Is anyone going to cross the Andouillette threshold?

Fred "Not me" Flintstein