Negative Racing

John Dacey

Jul 8, 2011, 1:06:37 PM7/8/11
Having a look through the results after stage 8, I find that the
Movistar rider in last place in the points competition has accrued a
score of minus five.

How is one awarded negative points?

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
Our 28th year
http://businesscycles.com
-------------------------------

atriage

Jul 8, 2011, 1:09:09 PM7/8/11
On 08/07/2011 18:06, John Dacey wrote:
> Having a look through the results after stage 8, I find that the
> Movistar rider in last place in the points competition has accrued a
> score of minus five.
>
> How is one awarded negative points?

He was penalised for being from Costa Rica.

Jimmy July

Jul 8, 2011, 5:34:54 PM7/8/11
On 7/8/2011 10:06 AM, John Dacey wrote:
> Having a look through the results after stage 8, I find that the
> Movistar rider in last place in the points competition has accrued a
> score of minus five.
>
> How is one awarded negative points?

He rode stage 3 backwards.

Fred Flintstein

Jul 8, 2011, 5:42:12 PM7/8/11

http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/tour-de-france-rules-frequently-asked-questions-17218/

How do you get a negative number of points in the points classification?

A number of readers have commented on a curiosity in the points
classification in the fight for the green jersey, where some riders
actually have negative points. This arises because the organisers
impose penalties for various infractions in a number of ways. The most
common is a fine of so many Swiss Francs. A harsher penalty is to
deduct time from the rider's GC time, or deduct points from their
points tally. If the rider has been particularly naughty, they will be
disqualified from the race.

Riders can be penalised in a lot of ways, e.g. hanging onto a team car,
or taking too many "bottles" from the director sportif; answering the
call of nature in front of the public (when you gotta go, you gotta
go); causing another rider to crash, or otherwise riding dangerously in
the bunch; hitching a ride to the finish in the Tour director,
Christian Prudhomme's car; giving spectators the evil eye, and so on.

John Dacey

Jul 8, 2011, 8:30:40 PM7/8/11
On Fri, 08 Jul 2011 16:42:12 -0500, Fred Flintstein
<bob.sc...@sbcremoveglobal.net> wrote:

>On 7/8/2011 12:06 PM, John Dacey wrote:
>> Having a look through the results after stage 8,

Oops, that should've been 'stage 7'

>> I find that the
>> Movistar rider in last place in the points competition has accrued a
>> score of minus five.
>>
>> How is one awarded negative points?

>http://www.bikeradar.com/gear/article/tour-de-france-rules-frequently-asked-questions-17218/
>
>How do you get a negative number of points in the points classification?
>
>A number of readers have commented on a curiosity in the points
>classification in the fight for the green jersey, where some riders
>actually have negative points. This arises because the organisers
>impose penalties for various infractions in a number of ways. The most
>common is a fine of so many Swiss Francs. A harsher penalty is to
>deduct time from the rider's GC time, or deduct points from their
>points tally. If the rider has been particularly naughty, they will be
>disqualified from the race.

I might've figured as much: that whole 'less than zero', nihilistic
stuff is so uniquely Fwench. Minus points - très existentielle, non?

Sincere thanks for your answer. Sets up a whole new statistic to
follow, like the Lanterne Rouge. Who holds the record for accumulating
the most negative points (without being ejected) in a Tour?

Bummer today about that Wiggly Braggins injury.

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida

http://businesscycles.com
-------------------------------

John Dacey

Jul 23, 2011, 12:27:23 AM7/23/11

As we go into the penultimate stage of the 2011 Tour, the competition
for the Lanterne Verte is especially close. Of the 169 finishers of
stage 19, it develops that no fewer than 72 riders have accumulated
negative points in the Green Jersey competition. There are eleven
racers tied for last place in this category where the point score for
each is an impressive minus forty.

With only the time trial tomorrow and the largely ceremonial parade
into Paris on Sunday remaining, riders will be severely challenged to
find ways to be penalized further to break the tie while still
escaping ejection from the Tour. Stay tuned for another exciting
finish!

Simply Fred

Jul 23, 2011, 5:47:42 AM7/23/11
John Dacey wrote:
> As we go into the penultimate stage of the 2011 Tour, the competition
> for the Lanterne Verte is especially close. Of the 169 finishers of
> stage 19, it develops that no fewer than 72 riders have accumulated
> negative points in the Green Jersey competition. There are eleven
> racers tied for last place in this category where the point score for
> each is an impressive minus forty.
>
> With only the time trial tomorrow and the largely ceremonial parade
> into Paris on Sunday remaining, riders will be severely challenged to
> find ways to be penalized further to break the tie while still
> escaping ejection from the Tour. Stay tuned for another exciting
> finish!

Public peeing or jacking off in the Champs-Élysées ?