The tactics to date

S Perryman

Jul 18, 2010, 11:52:47 AM7/18/10
Not really sure to read what is going on.

1. Astana

Astana are demonstrating that they have the strongest team in the
mountains. And they are more than capable of riding down any
attempt in the mountains for a GC contender to try and escape.

But IMHO they don't need to demonstrate it daily.

Riding at that tempo and not waiting til the last climb has had the
effect of dumping other GC contenders (Liquigas the victims today) .

Tis interesting that Sean Kelly in the UK press queried the notion of
needing team mates with you on the last climb, contending that you
can only ride at your own pace, and having team mates there is not
really going to help.

2. Contador

He does not appear to be at his best in the mountains, but he is
getting by.

3. Schleck

Does not look like he knows what to do, alone or with his team, to
sort out Contador.

I am wondering whether the Astana riding has opened the possibility of
a new tactic on mountain stages. If you ride so hard way before the
final climb, there is the notion of tiring everyone out so that when
the final ascent is reached, no one is really in a state to start
jumping around like pure climbers like to.

And those who really aren't race-fit (Wiggins etc) get dumped way before
then.

What I am seeing seems to suggest this.
Schleck was only able to take 10 seconds on Contador in the Alps.
Contador only 10 seconds at Mende.
And Menchovs' efforts today over the last few km only got him 10 seconds.

Regards,
Steven Perryman

Keith

Jul 18, 2010, 8:49:44 PM7/18/10
On Sun, 18 Jul 2010 16:52:47 +0100, S Perryman <a...@a.net> wrote:

>I am wondering whether the Astana riding has opened the possibility of
>a new tactic on mountain stages. If you ride so hard way before the
>final climb, there is the notion of tiring everyone out so that when
>the final ascent is reached, no one is really in a state to start
>jumping around like pure climbers like to.
>

>What I am seeing seems to suggest this.
>Schleck was only able to take 10 seconds on Contador in the Alps.
>Contador only 10 seconds at Mende.
>And Menchovs' efforts today over the last few km only got him 10 seconds.
>

>Regards,
>Steven Perryman

All good points, but Mende was short and in Avoriaz and Bonascre the
attacks happened at the tail end, we'll see what happens tomorrow on
the last climb that is longer and harder, especially since AS has said
he'd go for it...

Scott

Jul 18, 2010, 8:54:04 PM7/18/10

I think it may also be important that the climb is followed by a
pretty long, technical descent, and so far it looks like AC descends
better than AS. If he gets even the slightest gap on him on the
climb, or even going over the top, he could easily put time into him
on the run-in to the finish.

Dumbass

Jul 18, 2010, 9:27:24 PM7/18/10
On Jul 18, 11:52 am, S Perryman <a...@a.net> wrote:
> Not really sure to read what is going on.
>
> 1. Astana
>
> Astana are demonstrating that they have the strongest team in the
> mountains. And they are more than capable of riding down any
> attempt in the mountains for a GC contender to try and escape.
>
> But IMHO they don't need to demonstrate it daily.
>
> Riding at that tempo and not waiting til the last climb has had the
> effect of dumping other GC contenders (Liquigas the victims today) .

Astana's tactics were stupid on Stage 14. Vino wore himself out
leading all the 3/4 contenders up the mountain. He should have
stayed back with Contador, or lead a train with Contador behind him.

Letting the rider that is #3 in the GC gain time just increases the
possibility of
senarios where Contador loses the race.

There may be more racing among the 3/4 contendors. Astana should make
them
do the work.

NoDannyNo

Jul 18, 2010, 10:07:46 PM7/18/10
On Jul 18, 9:27 pm, Dumbass <tadams...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Letting the rider that is #3 in the GC gain time just increases the
> possibility of
> senarios where Contador loses the race.

I thought it was an interesting move by AC-- trying to force Schleck
into chasing Menchov who is pretty strong in the ITT and could
potentially take over 2nd place.

S Perryman

Jul 19, 2010, 6:01:48 AM7/19/10
Scott wrote:

> I think it may also be important that the climb is followed by a
> pretty long, technical descent, and so far it looks like AC descends
> better than AS. If he gets even the slightest gap on him on the
> climb, or even going over the top, he could easily put time into him
> on the run-in to the finish.

Is your statement based on experience of the descent that the race will
make ??

The profile shows there are very few steep sections, so it won't be a
"hang on for dear life" descent akin to the Col de Joux Plane etc.

Regards,
Steven Perryman

Betty

Jul 19, 2010, 6:01:29 AM7/19/10
S Perryman wrote:
> 3. Schleck
>
> Does not look like he knows what to do, alone or with his team, to
> sort out Contador.

It might have been interesting if Frank had been there.

Dumbass

Jul 19, 2010, 1:15:27 PM7/19/10

Astana did take a minute out of Levi's hide. So maybe the day was not
a loss overall.

I see that Stage 15 came out better for Contador, but I won't get to
watch till later today, so I don't know Astana changed the strategy.