Why iz Liz Hatch such an authority on women's cycling?

1 view

cycledogg

Jan 26, 2010, 12:14:18 PM1/26/10
http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/elizabeth-hatch/the-state-of-womens-cycling
Shouldn't they be interviewing the real racers in the women peloton?
Cheers,
Rick in Tennessee

Steve Freides

Jan 26, 2010, 1:41:37 PM1/26/10

Since when does writing a blog make one an authority?

Whoops, wait ...

Dumbass -

Having a blog doesn't make her an authority.

thanks

-S-

Norman

Jan 26, 2010, 8:09:50 PM1/26/10
On Jan 26, 12:14 pm, cycledogg <cycled...@hotmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/elizabeth-hatch/the-state-of-womens-...

> Shouldn't they be interviewing the real racers in the women peloton?
> Cheers,
> Rick in Tennessee

Same way Roger Ebert is an expert on movies?

--D-y

Jan 26, 2010, 10:37:56 PM1/26/10

I get it!

"Sitting in the back and watching lots of races".

Am I right? Do I get a prize?
--D-y

bjwe...@gmail.com

Jan 26, 2010, 11:59:40 PM1/26/10
> Shouldn't they be interviewing the real racers in the women peloton?
> Cheers,
> Rick in Tennessee

I don't get it.
It's her blog, not an interview.
You want them to run someone else's blog?
Or have her interview real racers on her blog?
Or ... ? As for why they do it, probably because
people click on it and that helps them make
money by selling ads?

Ben

Amit Ghosh

Jan 27, 2010, 1:24:06 AM1/27/10
> Shouldn't they be interviewing the real racers in the women peloton?
> Cheers,
> Rick in Tennessee

dumbass,

pretty banal and typical kool-aid drinker stuff.

how can you expect people and businesses to pour money and labour into
something where there is no expectation of return ? a few people might
do it because they're nice people, but it isn't a sustainable
situation.

so Emma Pooley can ride a bike fast .... so what ?

Scott

Jan 27, 2010, 7:57:54 AM1/27/10

What did I tell you? Kool-aid drinker is passe'. Don't use it
again. Surely you can come up with someone new, exciting. Otherwise,
we'll have to assume you're some sort of mouth-breathing inbred hick.

While you're at it, lose the Members Only jacket.

GoneBeforeMyTime

Jan 27, 2010, 1:08:28 PM1/27/10

"Amit Ghosh" <amit....@gmail.com> wrote in message

>so Emma Pooley can ride a bike fast .... so what ?

Pooley doesn't ride fast like some power riders do. She's fast on the
climbs, and her solo breakaways usually come out the advantage she gets on
the climb, but she's not a fast rider, not a sprinter, not even a good
descender. Without Mount Royal, I doubt she would of even won that race.

Revtom

Jan 27, 2010, 1:28:06 PM1/27/10
On Jan 26, 7:09 pm, Norman <invasivenor...@gmail.com> wrote:

Roger won a Pulitzer for his movie criticism. He's been a writer and
screenwriter for decades. OK, the screenplays were Russ Meyer movies,
but still. He knows what he's talking about.

Donald Munro

Jan 27, 2010, 2:27:00 PM1/27/10
Scott wrote:
> we'll have to assume you're some sort of mouth-breathing inbred hick.

He's from Tennessee ?

semi-ambivalent

Jan 28, 2010, 7:52:42 PM1/28/10
On Jan 27, 5:57 am, Scott <hendricks_sc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> While you're at it, lose the Members Only jacket.

Dated culture reference. +3

sa

Amit Ghosh

Feb 12, 2010, 8:14:20 PM2/12/10
On Jan 27, 1:08 pm, "GoneBeforeMyTime" <F...@EuroFans.com> wrote:
> "Amit Ghosh" <amit.gh...@gmail.com> wrote in message

dumbass,

you're right pooley doesn't ride fast - that why she won a bike race.

anyways, the liz hatch comedy hour continues on twitter:

"# Playing cards with Femke, Din and Niels Van den Driessche, their
family sponsors the team and they've been taking care of me while I'm
here. "

so the way to make it as a bike racer is to have your family sponsor
the team.

zencycle

Feb 12, 2010, 10:13:26 PM2/12/10
> Shouldn't they be interviewing the real racers in the women peloton?
> Cheers,
> Rick in Tennessee

If you shitbags spent half the time riding bicycles as you did whining
about it on rbr, you may have surfed across this post:

http://www.kerry-litka.com/main/wordpress/2010/01/26/the-problem-with-womens-cycling/

(for the more stupid amoung you, pay close attention to the irony in
that statement)

Feb 12, 2010, 10:35:02 PM2/12/10

Why am I not surprised that the very first response was posted by
someone named Bruce?

Amit Ghosh

Feb 12, 2010, 11:46:35 PM2/12/10
On Feb 12, 10:13 pm, zencycle <zency...@bikerider.com> wrote:
> On Jan 26, 12:14 pm, cycledogg <cycled...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/blogs/elizabeth-hatch/the-state-of-womens-...
> > Shouldn't they be interviewing the real racers in the women peloton?
> > Cheers,
> > Rick in Tennessee
>
> If you shitbags spent half the time riding bicycles as you did whining
> about it on rbr, you may have surfed across this post:
>
> http://www.kerry-litka.com/main/wordpress/2010/01/26/the-problem-with...

dumbass,

there might be some differences between women's and men's psychology
or motivations, but the points made in that post apply equally well to
99% of men's teams.

the problem with women's cycling (no money, on and off events etc.,
disappearing teams) is also the problem for almost all of men's
cycling except the tiny fraction which is the protour where all the
money and exposure is concentrated.

the problem is people deluding themselves into thinking that doing
what is an extravagant hobby should function as a viable profession or
business.

zencycle

Feb 12, 2010, 11:54:38 PM2/12/10
On Feb 12, 11:46 pm, Amit Ghosh <amit.gh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 12, 10:13 pm, zencycle <zency...@bikerider.com> wrote:
>
> >http://www.kerry-litka.com/main/wordpress/2010/01/26/the-problem-with...
>
> dumbass,
>
> there might be some differences between women's and men's psychology
> or motivations, but the points made in that post apply equally well to
> 99% of men's teams.

Shitbag,
read the article, note the references to international pro teams.
Womens racing not only suffers from a lack of funding but a lack of
professionalism as well. Taking money away won't change that.

Amit Ghosh

Feb 13, 2010, 12:06:47 AM2/13/10
On Feb 12, 11:54 pm, zencycle <zency...@bikerider.com> wrote:

> read the article, note the references to international pro teams.
> Womens racing not only suffers from a lack of funding but a lack of
> professionalism as well.

dumbass,

so do most men's teams. i've seen exactly the same behaviour on men's
teams.

she's makes the good point that the team manager should not be in a
relationship with a rider (often the case on a women's team). but also
the teams i've seen run well always had a strong leader that the
riders feared somewhat. that is universal.

teams and other organizations i've worked in that worked well always
had some fear of the leadership.

Kurgan Gringioni

Feb 13, 2010, 1:41:52 AM2/13/10

On Feb 12, 11:54 pm, zencycle <zency...@bikerider.com> wrote:

>> read the article, note the references to international pro teams.
>> Womens racing not only suffers from a lack of funding but a lack of
>> professionalism as well.
>
> dumbass,
>
> so do most men's teams. i've seen exactly the same behaviour on men's
> teams.

Dumbass -

IMO, there's a bit of a difference. If a male racer is extremely talented,
talented enough to race with the top guys, yet races and behaves like a
prima donna, he doesn't ever make it to the level where he can actually make
a decent living.

Seen it happen.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Donald Munro

Feb 13, 2010, 5:57:24 AM2/13/10
z wrote:
> Why am I not surprised that the very first response was posted by
> someone named Bruce?

Bruce detectors will soon be mass produced in China.

Amit Ghosh

Feb 13, 2010, 1:39:07 PM2/13/10
On Feb 13, 1:41 am, "Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> IMO, there's a bit of a difference. If a male racer is extremely talented,
> talented enough to race with the top guys, yet races and behaves like a
> prima donna, he doesn't ever make it to the level where he can actually make
> a decent living.
>
> Seen it happen.

dumbass,

sure.

but i think the women's side and the amateur/low level pro men's side
are the same with regards to attitude and situation.

in a protour team good management will be able to get everyone to do
their job and be competent and reliable because they control the
rider's contract, pay and race schedule - riders stand to lose
something or damage their reputation if they aren't professional.

in the lower ranks and women's teams a rider doesn't stand to lose a
lot - so if they don't have strong leadership they will become
unreliable or selfish.