The Hustler

Frederick the Great

Feb 8, 2011, 1:50:50 AM2/8/11
Recently Ilan mentioned _The_Hustler_ by Walter Tevis,
so I picked it up.

"Look, I can buy a bottle."

Her expression hardly changed;
but her voice was like a wall. "No."

"Say, a fifth of Scotch."

She leaned forward, "Look, we were doing fine here.
Come off it." She took a draw from her cigarette.
"Anyway, I'm not your type."

What she had said was instantly right and he grinned at her.
"All right," he said. "You win. Sorry I brought it up."

"That's okay," she said, leaning back again.
"A proposition is supposed to be flattering, even from
a man who picks you up in a bus station. And I like
Scotch---you made the right offer."

--
Old Fritz

ilan

Feb 8, 2011, 4:11:15 PM2/8/11

My favorite line (from the movie, I don't know if it's in the book)
is: "I'm not drunk, I'm lame."

-ilan