Cycling Group Without Cycling

Tom Kunich

Feb 22, 2010, 7:48:45 PM2/22/10
I wonder why the group seems to be drifting completely away from bicycling
and ending up just a stupid discussion group?

A. Dumas

Feb 22, 2010, 8:04:47 PM2/22/10
Tom Kunich wrote:
> I wonder why the group seems to be drifting completely away from
> bicycling and ending up just a stupid discussion group?

Stupid?! Your stoopid!

William Asher

Feb 22, 2010, 8:30:55 PM2/22/10
Tom Kunich wrote:

> I wonder why the group seems to be drifting completely away from
> bicycling and ending up just a stupid discussion group?

Because it's February, the winter olympics are on, and talking about
bicycle racing 24/7/365 is the sign of dementia, not fan-dom.

Once the drug busts start piling up in the spring, conversation will turn
back to cycling.

--
Bill Asher

ronaldo_jeremiah

Feb 22, 2010, 8:48:16 PM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 6:48 pm, "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I wonder why the group seems to be drifting completely away from bicycling
> and ending up just a stupid discussion group?

And we wonder why you never figure out that you don't belong here.

-rj

Henry

Feb 22, 2010, 9:01:17 PM2/22/10

that does depend on which hemisphere you're from of course

Tom Kunich

Feb 22, 2010, 9:06:11 PM2/22/10
"ronaldo_jeremiah" <ronaldo_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

I suppose that was the final "hint".

datakoll

Feb 22, 2010, 10:02:06 PM2/22/10

don't take it personally.
we are missing the annual bike restore project photos wainting for ice
out.

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 22, 2010, 11:32:04 PM2/22/10
In article
<36de36d4-3e1d-4c67...@b9g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
Henry <snogfest_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Your hemisphere sucks! And has its seasons screwed up!

Northern Hemisphere yeah,

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

GoneBeforeMyTime

Feb 23, 2010, 12:37:01 AM2/23/10
Tom Kunich wrote:
> I wonder why the group seems to be drifting completely away from
> bicycling and ending up just a stupid discussion group?

Tom, if you did some serious testing and checking the stats of some of these
other forums which have been around for a very long time now, you would find
they have come a very long ways since they started. Probably no forum has
grown so fast as the CN forum, but Road Bike Review forum is pretty decent.
The Bike Radar forum isn't too bad but doesn't seem to have grown as well as
the new CN forum. Also Cyclingforums.com and Bikeforums.net are pretty good.
In fact any of these forums you will find any subject you want in many
categories, and a whole host of visitors willing to discuss anything you
post in a civil manner. You posts are quite typical of what they post and
you would find a big crowd giving good replies. There is a huge bike culture
out there and a lot of these guys are really well informed. RBR is
incredibly thin now, and I don't know where most of old crew went, facebook
or forums, but you should at least try some of those forums before you
disregard the idea and remained devoted to rbr. Fine, you have been here 20+
years, but if you can't engage the reasonable discussions you seek, why
stay? Try the others, and you can always frequent rbr much less frequently.
Why not give them a try, can't hurt! The CN forum has a very nice following,
and looks to be the best overall. The numbers indicate it has become very
robust in spite of all the problems with the new site. Actually the problems
with CN might of worked to their advantage since so many thousands of people
flocked there to complain. However, many have said the best thing about CN
is their forum.

William Asher

Feb 23, 2010, 2:00:02 AM2/23/10
"GoneBeforeMyTime" <Fa...@EuroFans.com> wrote in

Yeah. Which ones among those have banned Susan Walker for saying one of
the moderator was fat?

--
Bill Asher

KurganGringioni

Feb 23, 2010, 2:08:22 AM2/23/10

"William Asher" <gcn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

:
: Yeah. Which ones among those have banned Susan Walker for saying one of
: the moderator was fat?

Dumbass -

That's not an rbr urban myth?

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Fred Fredburger

Feb 23, 2010, 2:15:18 AM2/23/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article
> <36de36d4-3e1d-4c67...@b9g2000pri.googlegroups.com>,
> Henry <snogfest_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>>> Because it's February, the winter olympics are on, and talking about
>>> bicycle racing 24/7/365 is the sign of dementia, not fan-dom.
>>>
>>> Once the drug busts start piling up in the spring, conversation will turn
>>> back to cycling.
>>>
>>> --
>>> Bill Asher
>> that does depend on which hemisphere you're from of course
>
> Your hemisphere sucks! And has its seasons screwed up!
>
> Northern Hemisphere yeah,

Northern Hemisphere! Northern Hemisphere! Northern Hemisphere! Northern
Hemisphere! etc.

KurganGringioni

Feb 23, 2010, 2:17:46 AM2/23/10

"Tom Kunich" <tku...@earthlink.net> wrote in message
:I wonder why the group seems to be drifting completely away from bicycling

: and ending up just a stupid discussion group?

Dumbass -

You've been following cycling for how long? and you still haven't figured
out that the real season begins with Milan-San Remo.

Scott

Feb 23, 2010, 2:18:10 AM2/23/10

After reading your post, I went to the CN forum just to see what it
was all about. The very first thread I looked at had the exact same
crap in it that pervades rbr. They've got their own uber-belligerent
a-hole who sends threatening PMs, openly challenging people to come to
his hometown for a beat down, etc...

Do a search for posts by carboncranks or jackhammer 101 and you'll see
what I mean. At first, I thought it might be TK, until I came upon a
post that included a picture of the guy.

Donald Munro

Feb 23, 2010, 2:47:43 AM2/23/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Your hemisphere sucks! And has its seasons screwed up!

You need to get a handle on the south:
<http://5z8.info/aryanbr0ther00d_g4g7m_how2printmoney>

Donald Munro

Feb 23, 2010, 2:50:04 AM2/23/10

KurganGringioni wrote:
> That's not an rbr urban myth?

You're probably thinking of Susan's clitorial dysfunction.

Donald Munro

Feb 23, 2010, 2:51:49 AM2/23/10
Scott wrote:
> After reading your post, I went to the CN forum just to see what it
> was all about. The very first thread I looked at had the exact same
> crap in it that pervades rbr. They've got their own uber-belligerent
> a-hole who sends threatening PMs, openly challenging people to come to
> his hometown for a beat down, etc...
>
> Do a search for posts by carboncranks or jackhammer 101 and you'll see
> what I mean. At first, I thought it might be TK, until I came upon a
> post that included a picture of the guy.

Dumbass,
Was there anyone posting about exploding carbon isotope forks.

ilan

Feb 23, 2010, 3:51:35 AM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 1:48 am, "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I wonder why the group seems to be drifting completely away from bicycling
> and ending up just a stupid discussion group?

After having sampled true discussion groups, i.e., internet forums
with administrators, and getting banned for life for making statements
such as: "I couldn't care less what an administrator thinks."
unmoderated Usenet just doesn't cut it anymore. I adhere to the motto:
"everything in moderation."

-ilan

A. Dumas

Feb 23, 2010, 5:22:44 AM2/23/10
Op 23-02-10 8:08, KurganGringioni wrote:

> "William Asher" wrote:
> : Yeah. Which ones among those have banned Susan Walker for saying one of
> : the moderator was fat?
>
> That's not an rbr urban myth?

Nope. Bizarro rbr is intolerant of swear words or calling people fat.

Donald Munro

Feb 23, 2010, 5:47:15 AM2/23/10
Tom Kunich wrote:
> I wonder why the group seems to be drifting completely away from
> bicycling and ending up just a stupid discussion group?

Stoopid(tm).

Bob Schwartz

Feb 23, 2010, 8:04:03 AM2/23/10

Milan-San Remo is in July?

Bob Schwartz

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 23, 2010, 12:25:23 PM2/23/10
In article <vpdc57-...@donald.homeip.net>,
Donald Munro <no...@mailinator.com> wrote:

I have much to study.

William Asher

Feb 23, 2010, 1:04:00 PM2/23/10
Donald Munro wrote:

That's an interesting take on a "Hands Across the Globe" idea.

--
Bill Asher

William Asher

Feb 23, 2010, 1:05:17 PM2/23/10
Fred Fredburger wrote:

Works better as Bo-Re-Al! Bo-Re-Al! Bo-Re-Al!

The great thing about that is it doesn't work for Austral, so they're
hosed. bwahahahahahahaha!

--
Bill Asher

William Asher

Feb 23, 2010, 1:07:32 PM2/23/10
KurganGringioni wrote:

> "William Asher" <gcn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
>:
>: Yeah. Which ones among those have banned Susan Walker for saying one of
>: the moderator was fat?
>

> Dumbass -
>
> That's not an rbr urban myth?

I don't think so. At one point I found one of the threads on one of those
forums. Susan's comments were relatively mild, by rbr standards, but the
moderator was not amused.

--
Bill Asher

ilan

Feb 23, 2010, 3:29:36 PM2/23/10

No, me stupid, it took me until now to figure out your user name.

-ilan

thirty-six

Feb 23, 2010, 3:35:10 PM2/23/10

Ah, now I see.

N8N

Feb 23, 2010, 4:31:55 PM2/23/10

I can't see that name without thinking of Shawshank Redemption.

nate

Michael Press

Feb 23, 2010, 6:17:45 PM2/23/10
In article <vpdc57-...@donald.homeip.net>,
Donald Munro <no...@mailinator.com> wrote:

They did not print and leave it. They worked the paint.
Disappointing. There is always somebody around to
destroy perfection.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

Feb 23, 2010, 6:37:30 PM2/23/10
In article
<d0125d3c-48fb-4511...@15g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
ilan <ila...@gmail.com> wrote:

Honestly, I do not see what you are saying.

"Too much of anything is bad,
but too much whisky is just enough."

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

Feb 23, 2010, 6:41:27 PM2/23/10
In article <hlvut7$3ek$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"KurganGringioni" <soulinth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "William Asher" <gcn...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
>
> :
> : Yeah. Which ones among those have banned Susan Walker for saying one of
> : the moderator was fat?
>

> Dumbass -
>
> That's not an rbr urban myth?

No, not so far as I know.
I reviewed a thread, but
understand that one or
more messages were pulled.
I take Susan's word for it:
that she was banned for
remarking on a moderator's
body weight.

--
Michael Press

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 23, 2010, 7:25:25 PM2/23/10
In article <rubrum-2FFFEA....@news.albasani.net>,
Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:

Yeah, well, either she's a contortionist, or those weren't her hands
either, despite what is implied by the paint on her palms.

datakoll

Feb 23, 2010, 11:07:45 PM2/23/10
ruff

seriously, the lack of a restoration project implies grave economic
problems afoot.

Anton Berlin

Feb 25, 2010, 2:19:36 PM2/25/10
On Feb 22, 6:48 pm, "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> I wonder why the group seems to be drifting completely away from bicycling
> and ending up just a stupid discussion group?

I come here for the same reasons most do:

1. It's probably got the most diverse, independent and intelligent
thinking of any newsgroup that isn't pedantic or narrow minded in it's
scope
2. Totally unmoderated and the "make your balls ticklier" spam is at a
minimum most days
3. I know and like the personalities - even the ones I battle with
4. We all share a common enemy - assholes and dipshits in vehicles
5. Sometimes we even discuss cycling

A. Dumas

Feb 25, 2010, 2:59:42 PM2/25/10
Anton Berlin wrote:
> I come here for the same reasons most do:
>
> 1. It's probably got the most diverse, independent and intelligent
> thinking of any newsgroup that isn't pedantic or narrow minded in it's
> scope
> 2. Totally unmoderated and the "make your balls ticklier" spam is at a
> minimum most days
> 3. I know and like the personalities - even the ones I battle with
> 4. We all share a common enemy - assholes and dipshits in vehicles
> 5. Sometimes we even discuss cycling

Oh Anton. You make my balls tickle! XOXO

Donald Munro

Feb 25, 2010, 3:28:59 PM2/25/10

A. Dumas wrote:
> Oh Anton. You make my balls tickle! XOXO

Its fortunate they still have all the nerve endings after being re-attached.

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 25, 2010, 4:32:21 PM2/25/10
In article <b53j57-...@donaldm.homeip.net>,
Donald Munro <no...@mailinator.com> wrote:

Ryan Cousineau Likes This.

Michael Press

Feb 25, 2010, 6:38:45 PM2/25/10
In article
<43b438a3-ad2f-4fd4...@q16g2000yqq.googlegroups.com>,
Anton Berlin <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Feb 22, 6:48 pm, "Tom Kunich" <tkun...@earthlink.net> wrote:
> > I wonder why the group seems to be drifting completely away from bicycling
> > and ending up just a stupid discussion group?
>
> I come here for the same reasons most do:
>
> 1. It's probably got the most diverse, independent and intelligent
> thinking of any newsgroup that isn't pedantic or narrow minded in it's
> scope

Sci.lang has smart people writing interesting,
informative, and sometimes scathing messages. They are
less interested in badinage, except as a vivisectionist
is interested in your family dog. Consider the thread
"Calquing Misnomers".

"Linguistics is arguably the most hotly contested property in
the academic realm. It is soaked with the blood of poets,
theologians, philosophers, philologists, psychologists,
biologists, anthropologists, and neurologists, along with
whatever blood can be got out of grammarians."
--Russ Rymer

> 2. Totally unmoderated and the "make your balls ticklier" spam is at a
> minimum most days
> 3. I know and like the personalities - even the ones I battle with
> 4. We all share a common enemy - assholes and dipshits in vehicles

They despise people who cannot use the language properly.

> 5. Sometimes we even discuss cycling

You left out
6. Cranks and street corner preachers, paucity of.

--
Michael Press

Anton Berlin

Feb 25, 2010, 8:37:30 PM2/25/10

> They despise people who cannot use the language properly.

That's a good sign of smaller minds IMHO where big thinkers
concentrate on the logic and the ideas presented.

Clearly this is evident in what computers can do and are so far are
incapable of doing.

Michael Press

Feb 25, 2010, 10:37:42 PM2/25/10
In article
<1451f27f-309c-4ce3...@z35g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
Anton Berlin <truth...@yahoo.com> wrote:

They have a point.
Drive a car badly---Use your native language badly.
Not much difference.

--
Michael Press

heather

Feb 26, 2010, 1:26:49 AM2/26/10
Michael Press wrote:

> They have a point.
> Drive a car badly---Use your native language badly.
> Not much difference.

I love this analogy! here I am posting to rbr
http://www.nataliedee.com/022510/beepbeep.jpg

(beepbeep motherfuckers!)

Michael Press

Feb 26, 2010, 4:07:58 PM2/26/10
In article <7up7tb...@mid.individual.net>,
heather <cle...@comcast.net> wrote:

Thank you for the heads ... errr down.

--
Michael Press

K. Fred Gauss

Feb 26, 2010, 5:47:19 PM2/26/10
heather wrote:
> Michael Press wrote:
>
>> They have a point. Drive a car badly---Use your native language badly.
>> Not much difference.
>
> I love this analogy!

Analogy? It's a simple FACT!

heather

Feb 26, 2010, 6:29:14 PM2/26/10

please forgive me, master Gauss-
despite my best effort, I see I am not Germain.

heather a. leblanc

K. Fred Gauss

Feb 26, 2010, 9:47:39 PM2/26/10

Michael Press

Feb 27, 2010, 1:19:40 AM2/27/10
In article <4b8887d3$1...@news.x-privat.org>,

I still wonder why they do not put the year on
rock and roll concert posters.

--
Michael Press