I hope it's canceled forever

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 21, 2010, 9:17:24 AM3/21/10
http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/03/news/tour-of-missouri-supporters-lobby-for-funding_108537

Who the fuck thinks taxpayers should be supporting a bike race in this
economic climate?

Thanks,

Magilla

Mark

Mar 22, 2010, 9:49:34 AM3/22/10
On Mar 21, 9:17 am, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote:
> http://velonews.competitor.com/2010/03/news/tour-of-missouri-supporte...

> Who the fuck thinks taxpayers should be supporting a bike race in this
> economic climate?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Magilla

Did you enjoy the 2010 Olympics?

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 22, 2010, 10:30:18 AM3/22/10
Mark wrote:

Montreal has hotter chicks than Vancouver.

Magilla

Amit Ghosh

Mar 22, 2010, 11:20:02 AM3/22/10
> Who the fuck thinks taxpayers should be supporting a bike race in this
> economic climate?

dumbass,

according to the promoters the race will bring more revenue to the
state than the sponsorship - that sounds like free money - so
spending the money sounds like a no-brainer.

once goldman sachs finds out about this states will not be able to
find races to sponsor anywhere.

-Amit

Scott

Mar 22, 2010, 11:33:26 AM3/22/10

Every promoter says that, and people in sports marketing always say
that, too.

The general rule of thumb is that you can take any figure re: ROI for
sports marketing and it'll really generate about 10% of what you
started with.

While in grad school in the early 90's I stumbled onto a paper done by
one of the economics faculty re: the economic impact of MLB spring
training. It seems the city of Tucson and Pima County commissioners
were looking for proof that it was a good idea to spend a bunch of
money to lure the CO Rockies to Tucson. The paper was never released
because it concluded that a $10mil expenditure for a $1.7mil ROI
didn't make sense.

That same paper took a look at the impact of sports in general on a
city's economy. For this example, they looked at Indianapolis, which
at that time had the greatest possible exposure to collegiate and
professional sports relative to population of any city in the
country. Without going into great detail, they considered essentially
every possible $$ as directly related to sports activities, and it was
still determined that the impact on the economy was statistically
insignificant.

As much as I'd love to see the ToM continue, I can not believe for a
minute that it will be a net gain to the state, if the state fronts
the money.

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 22, 2010, 3:33:10 PM3/22/10
Scott wrote:

This is correct.

One of the things that these studies don't take into account is that when
people spend money on the bike race, you must subtract that money from some
other discretionary expenditure, since it's a zero sum game. So whatever a
family will spend on a bike race, they won't spend on a movie or dinner in
some other part of town.

Also, the number of people who travel from other states and spend money in the
state where the bike race is is completely exaggerated. I would venture to
say that 98% of all fans are from within Missouri. Yet if you look at the
studies, they will claim some ridiculous figure like 30%

Magilla

Scott

Mar 22, 2010, 3:44:48 PM3/22/10

Why else would anyone vacation in Missouri?

Amit Ghosh

Mar 22, 2010, 4:22:30 PM3/22/10
On Mar 22, 3:33 pm, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote:

> One of the things that these studies don't take into account is that when
> people spend money on the bike race, you must subtract that money from some
> other discretionary expenditure, since it's a zero sum game.  So whatever a
> family will spend on a bike race, they won't spend on a movie or dinner in
> some other part of town.
>
> Also, the number of people who travel from other states and spend money in the
> state where the bike race is is completely exaggerated.  I would venture to
> say that 98% of all fans are from within Missouri.   Yet if you look at the
> studies, they will claim some ridiculous figure like 30%

dumbass,

according to their study the race will generate $40 million, so if the
state gets even 5% of that back in taxes or whatever they will double
their $1 million "investment".

what ? you don't think the missouri tifosi spend $40 million at the
race?

Norman

Mar 22, 2010, 4:30:13 PM3/22/10

Wayne Cunting Newton, you uncultured hick. And don't
get pinned under that Camaro while you working on it
in the yard. I ain't callin' the am-bu-lants again.

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 22, 2010, 7:02:20 PM3/22/10
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 12:44:48 -0700 (PDT), Scott
<hendric...@hotmail.com> wrote:

>Why else would anyone vacation in Missouri?

Based on my trip through there on the way to the Grand Canyon, porn
shops along I70.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Mar 22, 2010, 7:08:17 PM3/22/10
On Mon, 22 Mar 2010 13:22:30 -0700 (PDT), Amit Ghosh
<amit....@gmail.com> wrote:

>dumbass,
>
>according to their study the race will generate $40 million, so if the
>state gets even 5% of that back in taxes or whatever they will double
>their $1 million "investment".
>
>what ? you don't think the missouri tifosi spend $40 million at the
>race?

I think some committe in the Missouri legislature has plans to wipe
out a bunch of skinny kids in lycra using a harrower in the right
place - you know, just drop the sides when they sprint past.

It isn't money, it's just doing what's right. What's a milion or so
when you are fighting God's war?

Scott

Mar 22, 2010, 7:40:21 PM3/22/10

I haven't seen the particulars of what they're asking for or what
they're saying it'll bring in, but... are they seriously forecasting a
$40mil boost? And, only asking for $1mil in state funding?

Betty Munro

Mar 23, 2010, 5:00:03 AM3/23/10

cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:
> Based on my trip through there on the way to the Grand Canyon, porn
> shops along I70.

Great, now half of rbr will be vacationing in Missouri while the other
half are in New Italy.

Amit Ghosh

Mar 23, 2010, 12:16:14 PM3/23/10
On Mar 22, 7:40 pm, Scott <hendricks_sc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> I haven't seen the particulars of what they're asking for or what
> they're saying it'll bring in, but... are they seriously forecasting a
> $40mil boost?  And, only asking for $1mil in state funding?

dumbass,

those are the numbers in the velonews piece. i'm not sure who supplied
them - dr. frank maybe ?

Scott

Mar 23, 2010, 12:21:11 PM3/23/10

I guess I'll go read the velonews article. I wasn't questioning you,
per se.

Michael Press

Mar 26, 2010, 12:05:28 AM3/26/10
In article
<f183493e-9920-41b0...@f13g2000pra.googlegroups.com>,
Scott <hendric...@hotmail.com> wrote:

First rule of promotion:
Be the guy money gets fronted to, not the guy fronting the money.

--
Michael Press