Wat's with the Yellow Jersey fetching water?

Davey Crockett

Jul 14, 2010, 9:25:05 AM7/14/10
I've noticed this twice so far

--
Unix is very user friendly.
It's just very fussy who it's friends are.

RicodJour

Jul 14, 2010, 9:56:49 AM7/14/10
On Jul 14, 9:25 am, Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:
> I've noticed this twice so far

I think that Andy isn't under any pressure at the moment, and in a
magnanimous display of team solidarity and gratitude, he's making a
symbolic gesture to his teammates. The peloton won't attack if he's
back for water and his boys will bury themselves all that much more
for him when the need arises.

I know - it's so rare to see good sportsmanship being displayed from
the top down that it's almost unrecognizable.

--D-y

Jul 14, 2010, 11:35:33 AM7/14/10

More for the conference, face-to-face?
--D-y

Dumbass

Jul 14, 2010, 12:03:59 PM7/14/10

Why would the Peleton not attack?

Revtom

Jul 14, 2010, 12:26:00 PM7/14/10

Wasn't there a Discovery or Postal climber in yellow a few years back?
He went back for bottles as well.

K. Fred Gauss

Jul 14, 2010, 1:20:13 PM7/14/10

Ekimov?

DirtRoadie

Jul 14, 2010, 1:25:28 PM7/14/10

It's one thing when a rider has the MJ as a result of circumstance,
like gaining a lot of time in an early stage break. But those riders
are often still domestiques with little hope of retaining it. Thus
they still perform their duties.
It's entirely different when it's a major contender, it's AFTER the
mountains have begun and he has a good possibility of keeping it. An
interesting display that shows that the GC guys viewed today as a day
off.

DR

Dumbass

Jul 14, 2010, 2:02:13 PM7/14/10

Confirmed by the fact that Cav led the peloton over the finish line
today.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jul 14, 2010, 2:41:24 PM7/14/10

Victor Hugo Pena, he was in yellow after a TTT.
IIRC, sending him back for bottles was viewed as a
lack of respect for glorious Euro cycling tradition, etc.
(While I think that was hooey and that it was not evidence
of the perfidy of LANCE, and so on, I do kinda think
that a domestique in yellow on an intermezzo stage
ought to get the day off from the most menial duties -
most riders will never get to wear the MJ, so let the
gregario enjoy his day in the sun.)

Fredwatercarrier Ben

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jul 14, 2010, 2:47:15 PM7/14/10

Dumbass,

Argh, where to start.

- it's pelOton

- pelOtons don't attack, riders attack out of the pelOton

- no point in attacking the yellow jersey many km
from the finish with a breakaway up the road (so no
stage win to be gained either). The MJ team would
just go to ride a strong tempo to bring the attacker
back, and everyone else would have to ride that strong
tempo to keep up on what the teams were treating as
a day of riding piano, and so it would needlessly piss
off the rest of the pelOton.

Maybe Andy just wanted to get a few minutes smelling
car exhaust rather than midst-of-the-pelOton
sweaty-synthetic-jersey outgassing and
ate-6000-calories-last-night-exhaust.

Fredmaster Ben

Frederick the Great

Jul 14, 2010, 4:44:35 PM7/14/10
In article
<bc60c427-b0b4-40f2...@g19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
Dumbass <tada...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Why would the Peleton not attack?

How can it? It does not exist.
What is with the capitalization?
Are we writing German,
and I did not get the memorandum?

--
Old Fritz

drmofe

Jul 15, 2010, 1:39:48 AM7/15/10

Isn't this standard practice for Tour post-Lance! ?

Uncle Dave

Jul 15, 2010, 5:59:03 AM7/15/10
On Jul 14, 2:25 pm, Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:

> I've noticed this twice so far

I don't think it's *that* unusual, but obviously you need a flat day
when nothing is happening, and now that there seem to be a lot more
cameras following the race you see just about everything anybody
does. It makes sense. Those guys are going to work their arses off
for him tomorrow, the next day, whenever, and it's not going to cause
him any problems on a truce stage like yesterday when everyone was
sitting in the bus watching the scenery go by. I'm guessing it
happened yesterday. I didn't watch much of it because it was already
evident when I switched on with four hours still to go (as it
transpired) that the day's racing was done.

UD

Uncle Dave

Jul 15, 2010, 6:01:28 AM7/15/10

More to the point, why would they? Nothing to gain from it, except
maybe in the final kilometres, apart from a reputation as an asshole.
These guys race with each other day in, day out all year and that kind
of thing will be remembered. When was it anyway? I'm guessing there
was a loooooong way to go.

UD

Uncle Dave

Jul 15, 2010, 6:02:44 AM7/15/10
On Jul 14, 9:44 pm, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article
> <bc60c427-b0b4-40f2-b500-c5c427343...@g19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,

>  Dumbass <tadams...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > I think that Andy isn't under any pressure at the moment, and in a
> > > magnanimous display of team solidarity and gratitude, he's making a
> > > symbolic gesture to his teammates.  The peloton won't attack if he's
> > > back for water and his boys will bury themselves all that much more
> > > for him when the need arises.
>
> > > I know - it's so rare to see good sportsmanship being displayed from
> > > the top down that it's almost unrecognizable.
>
> > Why would the Peleton not attack?
>
> How can it? It does not exist.
> What is with the capitalization?
> Are we writing German,
> and I did not get the memorandum?

I think that should be "i the Memorandum did not getting"...

UD

Betty

Jul 15, 2010, 5:15:30 AM7/15/10
Frederick the Great wrote: