Contador and Riis

DirtRoadie

Jul 29, 2010, 1:00:32 PM7/29/10
Nobody has mentioned that this is being described as a strong
possibility for next year.

DR

Fred Flintstein

Jul 29, 2010, 2:32:40 PM7/29/10

I thought Astana's weakness this year was their
no-name DS. Riding for Riis would certainly
address that.

And there would be none of this shit about people
riding for themselves vs riding for Pistolero.

He's only 27. He could keep this up for years.

Fred Flintstein

Ronko

Jul 29, 2010, 7:47:41 PM7/29/10
In article <jqOdnf8JA-PVVMzR...@giganews.com>,
bob.sc...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net says...
Interesting possibility but what about the Schleck brothers? Who
rides numero uno? Of course a team with Contador, the Schleck's,
Jens, Cancellero, Stu O'Grady would be formidable.

Victor Kan

Jul 29, 2010, 7:54:05 PM7/29/10
On Jul 29, 7:47 pm, Ronko <ronkreu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting possibility but what about the Schleck brothers? Who
> rides numero uno?

Do you mean between Andy and Frank on their new Luxembourg-based
team? Probably Andy.

Riis and the Schlecks have all but confirmed that they are parting
ways at the end of the year.

> Of course a team with Contador, the Schleck's,
> Jens, Cancellero, Stu O'Grady would be formidable.

Seems unlikely that Contador and the Schlecks will ever be on the same
team, regardless of "chaingate".

RicodJour

Jul 29, 2010, 7:55:30 PM7/29/10
On Jul 29, 7:47 pm, Ronko <ronkreu...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting possibility but what about the Schleck brothers? Who
> rides numero uno?  Of course a team with Contador, the Schleck's,
> Jens, Cancellera, Stu O'Grady would be formidable.

I love Jens, but he'll do nothing at all next year. He's on record as
saying the only reason he came back was due to that horrific face
plant - he didn't want that to be the last thing people remembered of
him.

When Frank Schleck started getting noticed in the pro peloton, he said
that if he told people how strong his younger brother was, no one
would believe him. He already knows who is the better candidate, and
has known it for a while.

Victor Kan

Jul 29, 2010, 8:18:56 PM7/29/10
On Jul 29, 7:55 pm, RicodJour <ricodj...@worldemail.com> wrote:
> I love Jens, but he'll do nothing at all next year.  He's on record as
> saying the only reason he came back was due to that horrific face
> plant - he didn't want that to be the last thing people remembered of
> him.

After the tour ended this past Sunday, he didn't sound like he was
expecting to retire from pro racing any time soon:

http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid58433648001?bctid=248232991001

29 seconds in (after the unskippable commercial)

RicodJour

Jul 29, 2010, 8:32:54 PM7/29/10
On Jul 29, 8:18 pm, Victor Kan <victor....@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 29, 7:55 pm, RicodJour <ricodj...@worldemail.com> wrote:
>
> > I love Jens, but he'll do nothing at all next year.  He's on record as
> > saying the only reason he came back was due to that horrific face
> > plant - he didn't want that to be the last thing people remembered of
> > him.
>
> After the tour ended this past Sunday, he didn't sound like he was
> expecting to retire from pro racing any time soon:
>
> http://link.brightcove.com/services/player/bcpid58433648001?bctid=248...

> 29 seconds in (after the unskippable commercial)

Yo! Thanks for posting that. I'm glad he's pumped, and of course I,
fan boy of Jens, would love to see him have some moments next year.
I'm really hoping to see a Ned Overland of the road someday. Some old
master fatty who forgot to get fat and kicked ass well into their
forties. I'm sure my hope has nothing at all to do with my age.
Nothing, seriously.

Ronko

Jul 30, 2010, 2:25:01 AM7/30/10
In article <229caeff-631f-41f4-99a9-
055957...@y11g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
victo...@gmail.com says...
Ah, I'm not down with the latest. So Andy and Frank to their own
team, more power to them.

Betty

Jul 30, 2010, 5:27:59 AM7/30/10
RicodJour wrote:
> When Frank Schleck started getting noticed in the pro peloton, he said
> that if he told people how strong his younger brother was, no one
> would believe him. He already knows who is the better candidate, and
> has known it for a while.

Perhaps, but he'll need a lower CdA if he wants to win the TDF.

DirtRoadie

Aug 3, 2010, 11:02:47 AM8/3/10

Randall

Aug 4, 2010, 2:42:39 PM8/4/10

Actually Riis believes that AC can win the TDF, Giro and the Vuelta
next year. I think it's unlikely since AC seemed as though he was at
his limit and was unable to be a patron at this years tdf. A Giro/TDF
may be possible for AC, but he will need a very strong team to fend
off all the constant attacks. (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis-
sets-grand-slam-goal-for-new-signing-contador )

DirtRoadie

Aug 4, 2010, 3:04:01 PM8/4/10
On Aug 4, 12:42 pm, Randall <randall.shim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> Actually Riis believes that AC can win the TDF, Giro and the Vuelta
> next year. I think it's unlikely since AC seemed as though he was at
> his limit and was unable to be a patron at this years tdf. A Giro/TDF
> may be possible for AC, but he will need a very strong team to fend
> off all the constant attacks. (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis-
> sets-grand-slam-goal-for-new-signing-contador )

That poses some interesting questions.
Anybody know (or want to research):
(1) How many riders have ridden all three grand tours in the same
year?.
I expect there are numerous non-contenders on this list.

(2) How many riders have ridden the third grand tour AFTER winning the
first two?
I expect there are few if any riders on this list. EM would be the
obvious guess for a possibility, but I haven't looked to see whether
he ever did this.

DR

DirtRoadie

Aug 4, 2010, 3:11:02 PM8/4/10

OK, I looked. He didn't.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Career_accomplishments_of_Eddy_Merckx

Note: Prior to 1995 the Vuelta was held in the spring, BEFORE the TdF
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vuelta_a_España

DR

Randall

Aug 4, 2010, 3:13:41 PM8/4/10
On Aug 4, 12:04 pm, DirtRoadie <DirtRoa...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 12:42 pm, Randall <randall.shim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Actually Riis believes that AC can win the TDF, Giro and the Vuelta
> > next year. I think it's unlikely since AC seemed as though he was at
> > his limit and was unable to be a patron at this years tdf. A Giro/TDF
> > may be possible for AC, but he will need a very strong team to fend
> > off all the constant attacks. (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis-
> > sets-grand-slam-goal-for-new-signing-contador )
>
> That poses some interesting questions.
> Anybody know (or want to research):

I doubt any riders have won all three since the Vuelta coincided the
Giro until the Vuelta was moved on the calendar.

Randall

Aug 4, 2010, 3:17:08 PM8/4/10
On Aug 4, 12:13 pm, Randall <randall.shim...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 4, 12:04 pm, DirtRoadie <DirtRoa...@aol.com> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 4, 12:42 pm, Randall <randall.shim...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Actually Riis believes that AC can win the TDF, Giro and the Vuelta
> > > next year. I think it's unlikely since AC seemed as though he was at
> > > his limit and was unable to be a patron at this years tdf. A Giro/TDF
> > > may be possible for AC, but he will need a very strong team to fend
> > > off all the constant attacks. (http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/riis-
> > > sets-grand-slam-goal-for-new-signing-contador )
>
> > That poses some interesting questions.
> > Anybody know (or want to research):
>
> I doubt any riders have won all three since the Vuelta coincided the
> Giro until the Vuelta was moved on the calendar.

Another thing to remember is the Vuelta was only moved about 5 years
ago or so.