Odd side of the road sights at the Tour

1 view

RicodJour

Jul 16, 2011, 9:54:24 AM7/16/11
I just saw someone holding out an ice cream cone to the passing riders
on a climb. That's just nasty. :)

ilan

Jul 16, 2011, 9:59:26 PM7/16/11

I liked the guy in the red full body stocking.

Frederick the Great

Jul 17, 2011, 4:50:27 AM7/17/11
In article
<5c865ea7-31ce-40bd...@fv14g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,
ilan <ila...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 16, 3:54 pm, RicodJour <ricodj...@aol.com> wrote:
> > I just saw someone holding out an ice cream cone to the passing riders
> > on a climb.  That's just nasty.  :)
>

> I liked the guy in the red full body stocking.

You _like_ the colorized version of Mummenschanz? Philistine.

--
Old Fritz

ilan

Jul 17, 2011, 8:38:46 AM7/17/11
On Jul 17, 10:50 am, Frederick the Great <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> In article
> <5c865ea7-31ce-40bd-9a52-a5c390031...@fv14g2000vbb.googlegroups.com>,

>  ilan <ilan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 16, 3:54 pm, RicodJour <ricodj...@aol.com> wrote:
> > > I just saw someone holding out an ice cream cone to the passing riders
> > > on a climb.  That's just nasty.  :)
>
> > I liked the guy in the red full body stocking.
>
> You _like_ the colorized version of Mummenschanz? Philistine.
>
> --
> Old Fritz

The correct spelling is "colourized" or "colorised".

-ilan

Benjo Maso

Jul 17, 2011, 10:04:06 AM7/17/11

"RicodJour" schreef in bericht

I just saw someone holding out an ice cream cone to the passing riders
on a climb. That's just nasty. :)

No, it's a gesture full of historical sense. After all, one of the most
famous legends of the history of the Tour is super-climber Federico
Bahamontes eating an ice ccream on the top of the Romeyère, waiting for the
other riders.

Benjo

atriage

Jul 17, 2011, 10:06:01 AM7/17/11
> an ice ccream on the top of the Romey�re, waiting for the other riders.

I bet that did wonders for their morale.

RicodJour

Jul 17, 2011, 10:24:51 AM7/17/11
On Jul 17, 10:04 am, "Benjo Maso" <benjo.m...@upcmail.nl> wrote:
> "RicodJour"  schreef in berichtnews:

> I just saw someone holding out an ice cream cone to the passing riders
> on a climb.  That's just nasty.  :)
>
> No, it's a gesture full of historical sense. After all, one of the most
> famous legends of the history of the Tour is super-climber Federico
> Bahamontes eating an ice ccream on the top of the Romeyère, waiting for the
> other riders.

Well...that was nasty, too! ;)

Offering an ice cream to guys that are waaaaaaaaay back from the front
doesn't seem to me to be adding some historical perspective, more like
a tweaking someone's nose. Just not as mean-spirited as the ice cream
scene from Witness.
http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Stanzerl/Films/80s%20Films/Witness-Icecreamonnose.jpg

Benjo Maso

Jul 17, 2011, 10:54:38 AM7/17/11

"RicodJour" schreef in bericht

OK, but Bahamontes's behaviour on the top of the Romeyère wasn't nasty.
First of all: he wasn't nasty at all. Second: like most famous episodes in
the history of the Tour, it never happened the way it was remembered.

Benjo

Anton Berlin

Jul 17, 2011, 11:28:47 AM7/17/11
> scene from Witness.http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Stanzerl/Films/80s%20Films/Wit...

So many years I've tried to forget the inhumanity of that horrible
scene and now you've made it so real again.

Maybe Lance will give me some of his Ambien so I can sleep tonight.

Anton Berlin

Jul 17, 2011, 11:30:04 AM7/17/11
On Jul 17, 9:54 am, "Benjo Maso" <benjo.m...@upcmail.nl> wrote:
> "RicodJour"  schreef in berichtnews:b43e22cd-3f28-4542...@q17g2000vby.googlegroups.com...

> On Jul 17, 10:04 am, "Benjo Maso" <benjo.m...@upcmail.nl> wrote:
>
> > "RicodJour"  schreef in berichtnews:
>
> > I just saw someone holding out an ice cream cone to the passing riders
> > on a climb.  That's just nasty.  :)
>
> > No, it's a gesture full of historical sense. After all, one of the most
> > famous legends of the history of the Tour is super-climber Federico
> > Bahamontes eating an ice ccream on the top of the Romeyère, waiting for
> > the
> > other riders.
>
> Well...that was nasty, too!  ;)
> Offering an ice cream to guys that are waaaaaaaaay back from the front
> doesn't seem to me to be adding some historical perspective, more like
> a tweaking someone's nose.  Just not as mean-spirited as the ice cream
> scene from Witness.http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Stanzerl/Films/80s%20Films/Wit...

> OK, but Bahamontes's behaviour on the top of the Romeyère wasn't nasty.
> First of all: he wasn't nasty at all. Second: like most famous episodes in
> the history of the Tour, it never happened the way it was remembered.
>
> Benjo

It's just like the French to put an ice cream parlor on the top of a
remote mountain road only passable in the summer.

RicodJour

Jul 17, 2011, 11:30:57 AM7/17/11
On Jul 17, 10:54 am, "Benjo Maso" <benjo.m...@upcmail.nl> wrote:
> "RicodJour"  schreef in berichtnews:
> On Jul 17, 10:04 am, "Benjo Maso" <benjo.m...@upcmail.nl> wrote:
> > "RicodJour"  schreef in berichtnews:
>
> > I just saw someone holding out an ice cream cone to the passing riders
> > on a climb.  That's just nasty.  :)
>
> > No, it's a gesture full of historical sense. After all, one of the most
> > famous legends of the history of the Tour is super-climber Federico
> > Bahamontes eating an ice ccream on the top of the Romeyère, waiting for
> > the other riders.
>
> Well...that was nasty, too!  ;)
> Offering an ice cream to guys that are waaaaaaaaay back from the front
> doesn't seem to me to be adding some historical perspective, more like
> a tweaking someone's nose.  Just not as mean-spirited as the ice cream
> scene from Witness. http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Stanzerl/Films/80s%20Films/Wit...

> OK, but Bahamontes's behaviour on the top of the Romeyère wasn't nasty.
> First of all: he wasn't nasty at all. Second: like most famous episodes in
> the history of the Tour, it never happened the way it was remembered.

I didn't mean nasty nasty. I meant 'nasty' as in tweaking someone's
nose in a playful way. Similar to busting a nut to get to the top of
a climb first, and then getting off the bike and stretching out on the
grass and pretending to be napping when the rest get to the top.
"What..? Oh, hi. I must have dozed off. Nice climb, huh? What time
is it?"

So what really happened with Bahamontes' ice cream story?

Anton Berlin

Jul 17, 2011, 12:20:30 PM7/17/11
On Jul 17, 10:30 am, RicodJour <ricodj...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jul 17, 10:54 am, "Benjo Maso" <benjo.m...@upcmail.nl> wrote:
>

> > "RicodJour"  schreef in berichtnews:
> > On Jul 17, 10:04 am, "Benjo Maso" <benjo.m...@upcmail.nl> wrote:
> > > "RicodJour"  schreef in berichtnews:
>
> > > I just saw someone holding out an ice cream cone to the passing riders
> > > on a climb.  That's just nasty.  :)
>
> > > No, it's a gesture full of historical sense. After all, one of the most
> > > famous legends of the history of the Tour is super-climber Federico
> > > Bahamontes eating an ice ccream on the top of the Romeyère, waiting for
> > > the other riders.
>
> > Well...that was nasty, too!  ;)
> > Offering an ice cream to guys that are waaaaaaaaay back from the front
> > doesn't seem to me to be adding some historical perspective, more like
> > a tweaking someone's nose.  Just not as mean-spirited as the ice cream
> > scene from Witness.http://i27.photobucket.com/albums/c197/Stanzerl/Films/80s%20Films/Wit...

> > OK, but Bahamontes's behaviour on the top of the Romeyère wasn't nasty.
> > First of all: he wasn't nasty at all. Second: like most famous episodes in
> > the history of the Tour, it never happened the way it was remembered.
>
> I didn't mean nasty nasty.  I meant 'nasty' as in tweaking someone's
> nose in a playful way.  Similar to busting a nut to get to the top of
> a climb first, and then getting off the bike and stretching out on the
> grass and pretending to be napping when the rest get to the top.
> "What..?  Oh, hi.  I must have dozed off.  Nice climb, huh?  What time
> is it?"
>
> So what really happened with Bahamontes' ice cream story?

http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/riders/rider_bio.asp?rider_id=14

Benjo Maso

Jul 17, 2011, 1:55:13 PM7/17/11

"Anton Berlin" schreef in bericht

http://www.cyclinghalloffame.com/riders/rider_bio.asp?rider_id=14

I'm afraid it was slightly different. He stopped due to a mechanical
problem. It was extremely hot that day. The water in his bottle being tepid,
he went to an ice cart and put some ice into his bottle. That was it. But a
journalist of the Equipe, not in a serious report, but in a ‘funny’ column,
wrote that Bahamontes stopped to eat an ice cream. Next day France Soir
embellished the story a bit writing he ate strawberry ice, etc., etc.

Benjo

Ryan Cousineau

Jul 17, 2011, 2:40:26 PM7/17/11

I saw a guy, about 6' tall, dressed as Smurfette. That was not good.

Also, anyone else recall that last year, Phil and Paul were calling
out the dork in the water bottle costume for nearly interfering with
the riders and generally being a nuisance, and this year he is the
beloved Cleanbottle mascot, and by the way, here's how to enter a
contest by spotting the Cleanbottle mascot on the climbs?

(And as a follow-up: cleaning the bottom of the water bottle? That's a
problem for some people? Really?)

Also, I saw this crazy Frenchman dressed up in a yellow jersey,
pretending to be one of the GC contenders and actually riding along in
the lead pack! Anyone else see that?

atriage

Jul 17, 2011, 3:47:01 PM7/17/11
On 17/07/2011 19:40, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> Also, I saw this crazy Frenchman dressed up in a yellow jersey,
> pretending to be one of the GC contenders and actually riding along in
> the lead pack! Anyone else see that?

Don't be silly, you just imagined it, it couldn't happen.