I didn't dream this

Ryan Cousineau

Jul 26, 2011, 1:37:02 AM7/26/11
http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/07/2011_tour_de_france_part_2.html#photo9

Also photo 11 is maybe the best of the Tour this year.

atriage

Jul 26, 2011, 3:11:41 AM7/26/11
> http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/07/2011_tour_de_france_part_2.html#photo9

Given that quantum theory tells us there isn't really an external reality with
it's own ontology independent of the observer you probably did.

Frederick the Great

Jul 26, 2011, 5:12:23 AM7/26/11
In article
<24092231-4d72-4fa9...@s33g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/07/2011_tour_de_france_part_2.html#photo9
>
> Also photo 11 is maybe the best of the Tour this year.

18 and the Michelin man in a WC jersey takes the cake.

--
Old Fritz

RicodJour

Jul 26, 2011, 9:26:09 AM7/26/11
On Jul 26, 1:37 am, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:

> http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/07/2011_tour_de_france_part_2.h...

> Also photo 11 is maybe the best of the Tour this year.

I was hoping you wouldn't choose this one:
http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/2011_tour_de_france/bp10.jpg

Some very good desktop backgrounds in those pictures. Thanks for
posting the link.

What was up with the guy in the background of the picture you posted?
He's grabbing his crotch while looking at those two burly guys dressed
up as hooker nurses or whatever they were supposed to be.

Brad Anders

Jul 26, 2011, 10:25:36 AM7/26/11
> Also photo 11 is maybe the best of the Tour this year.

Great photos, love #27, only got to see that from behind on the TV
coverage.

A. Dumas

Jul 26, 2011, 10:30:40 AM7/26/11
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Also photo 11 is maybe the best of the Tour this year.

At 3000x2034
http://images2-telegraaf.nl/multimedia/archive/00870/LaurenstenDamauw_jp_870930a.jpg

A. Dumas

Jul 26, 2011, 10:35:33 AM7/26/11
Brad Anders wrote:
> Great photos, love #27, only got to see that from behind on the TV
> coverage.

I love the caption, more or less justifying the strike: "Alberto
Contador punches a spectator dressed in medical garb who had been
running alongside him sticking a stethoscope in Contador's face as he
climbed Alpe d'Huez during the 19th stage on July 22, 2011."

--D-y

Jul 26, 2011, 12:24:10 PM7/26/11

One of the glorious moments in the TdF 2011.
I didn't see any punishment handed down by the org, either.

One dipshit holy-pants jerk gets his piehole punched. Looked like it
was a good strike, too.

"Suitable for framing".
--D-y

DC

Jul 26, 2011, 12:53:00 PM7/26/11
--D-y said the following on 27/07/2011 12:24 AM:

> One of the glorious moments in the TdF 2011.
> I didn't see any punishment handed down by the org, either.
>
> One dipshit holy-pants jerk gets his piehole punched. Looked like it
> was a good strike, too.

I did read one person suggest that Contador mistook him for a drug
tester :-)

Ryan Cousineau

Jul 26, 2011, 2:24:55 PM7/26/11

I saw it on TV, and he was not the usual stupid runner, keeping his
distance from the riders. He reached out with the stethoscope and had
it in Contador's face. It was pretty ridiculous. Also, the punch looks
less violent in real-time than it does in the photo: more an attempt
to push the clown clear than to clean his clock.

Video here, but likely to disappear as soon as ASO notices:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yhuHsW3pnPY

I think the non-punishment of Contador was appropriate.

Ryan Cousineau

Jul 26, 2011, 3:22:14 PM7/26/11
On Jul 26, 6:26 am, RicodJour <ricodj...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jul 26, 1:37 am, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
>

> >http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/07/2011_tour_de_france_part_2.h...
>
> > Also photo 11 is maybe the best of the Tour this year.
>
> I was hoping you wouldn't choose this one:http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/...

> Some very good desktop backgrounds in those pictures.  Thanks for
> posting the link.
>
> What was up with the guy in the background of the picture you posted?
> He's grabbing his crotch while looking at those two burly guys dressed
> up as hooker nurses or whatever they were supposed to be.

One "naughty" nurse, one Smurfette. I can't account for the guy in the
background, but that's as likely to be an ill-timed "adjustment" as
anything else, or even an absentminded funny-looking hand placement.

Or he's, um, saluting the riders.

--D-y

Jul 26, 2011, 5:28:57 PM7/26/11

Looked too brief to be fined as "con collé", if I may second-guess the
race officials.
Good hard little jab,though; the head went back and he changed his
mind. Sorta like a decent jaw kick on a dog that forgets its
boundaries.
Nice back-to-bizness on Alberto's part.
--D-y

Brad Anders

Jul 26, 2011, 6:30:22 PM7/26/11

Reminded me of Armstrong offing that guy with the double syringes.

A. Dumas

Jul 26, 2011, 9:08:07 PM7/26/11

He didn't come as close, did he? And that was on a wide, uncrowded road.
Contador had no way of avoiding this nut.

Frederick the Great

Jul 26, 2011, 11:32:46 PM7/26/11
In article
<254e5ab7-79d2-4048...@q11g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 26, 6:26 am, RicodJour <ricodj...@aol.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 26, 1:37 am, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> >

> > >http://www.boston.com/bigpicture/2011/07/2011_tour_de_france_part_2.h...
> >
> > > Also photo 11 is maybe the best of the Tour this year.
> >
> > I was hoping you wouldn't choose this one:http://inapcache.boston.com/universal/site_graphics/blogs/bigpicture/...
> >
> > Some very good desktop backgrounds in those pictures.  Thanks for
> > posting the link.
> >
> > What was up with the guy in the background of the picture you posted?
> > He's grabbing his crotch while looking at those two burly guys dressed
> > up as hooker nurses or whatever they were supposed to be.
>

> One "naughty" nurse, one Smurfette. I can't account for the guy in the
> background, but that's as likely to be an ill-timed "adjustment" as
> anything else, or even an absentminded funny-looking hand placement.
>
> Or he's, um, saluting the riders.

He's staring at the one in whites.

--
Old Fritz

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jul 27, 2011, 3:08:12 AM7/27/11

If you're close enough to be pushed over by a straight-arm
from an anorexic oatmeal-weigher trying to balance on
two 23mm tires (21mm? whatever), you may be too close.

Anyway, Armstrong just knocked that guy over because his
double-syringe pitchfork and outfit was infringing on
Didi Senft's trademark. Armstrong, whatever else you can
say about him, understands the importance of defending
one's brand.

This photo is enough to make me forgive Contador for all
those silly Pistolero gestures at finish lines.

Fredmaster Ben

A. Dumas

Jul 27, 2011, 7:31:56 AM7/27/11
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:

> On Jul 27, 3:08 am, A. Dumas wrote:
>> He didn't come as close, did he? And that was on a wide, uncrowded road.
>> Contador had no way of avoiding this nut.
>
> If you're close enough to be pushed over by a straight-arm
> from an anorexic oatmeal-weigher trying to balance on
> two 23mm tires (21mm? whatever), you may be too close.

Both are true, I think: syringe guy did come close, maybe too close,
although the syringe image was probably more offensive than his
proximity, but stethoscope guy came closer by pushing the thing into his
face.

Syringe guy may have been more threatening because he was running very
awkwardly in his restricting costume, on a snow bank, in danger of
falling into the peloton.

Ryan Cousineau

Jul 27, 2011, 2:02:27 PM7/27/11

I believe the madhouse atmosphere of the climbs is part of the charm
of le Tour, but if between the riders, the motorcycles, the caravan,
and the police, a few fans get visibly clocked for getting too close,
I think that might help clarify the thinking of other fans.

I saw a Didi Senft interview where he said part of his rule was only
running behind the riders, never beside. That kept him out of their
way, and is probably part of why we refer to him as "Didi Senft,
Tourteufel", and not "that costumed jerk that got clocked by a Tour
rider."

I think Mike J once referred to how, as the tete a course approaches,
there were two vanguard police motorcyclists, riding parallel very
close to each side of the road, for the sole purpose of brushing back
spectators just before the riders come through. Do they still do that?

A. Dumas

Jul 27, 2011, 2:48:38 PM7/27/11
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> I think Mike J once referred to how, as the tete a course approaches,
> there were two vanguard police motorcyclists, riding parallel very
> close to each side of the road, for the sole purpose of brushing back
> spectators just before the riders come through. Do they still do that?

Yes, saw it last year in Holland when I was by the roadside for stage 1.

Simply Fred

Jul 27, 2011, 4:24:34 PM7/27/11

A. Dumas wrote:
> Yes, saw it last year in Holland when I was by the roadside for stage 1.

In your nurses uniform.

Ryan Cousineau

Jul 30, 2011, 5:18:07 PM7/30/11

What you're implying here is unfair. From the photos I've seen, A.
Dumas could totally pull off the Naughty Nurse look.