ping ryan

1 view

Beloved Fred No. 1

Dec 6, 2010, 6:48:56 AM12/6/10
Time to be a bit more analytical about your beer:

<http://www.yellowfinbi.com/YFCommunityNews.i4?newsId=100877>

Ryan Cousineau

Dec 7, 2010, 12:05:25 PM12/7/10
On Dec 6, 3:48 am, "Beloved Fred No. 1" <n...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> Time to be a bit more analytical about your beer:
>
> <http://www.yellowfinbi.com/YFCommunityNews.i4?newsId=100877>

More like it's time for Beerme.com to be more analytical about their
beer.

The sawtooth distributions the Yellowfin guys identify are obviously
due to a bias towards whole-number ratings. I'm not sure what best
practices for smoothing such a bias are in stats, but presumably
something like merging the half-point scores with their nearest
neighbour to form a single cohort will turn this back into a more
reasonable curve.

With that assumed, I'd like to point out that I identified the second
problem (skewing towards the high end), albeit less analytically, in
Cyclingnews' equipment ratings a few years back:

http://groups.google.com/group/rec.bicycles.tech/msg/e98b04bf871d03f9

"I have come to regard their ratings as being on a scale from 4 to 5."

(I won't say cyclingnews is perfect, but this fault has been reduced
in the last few years. I think their range now extends to at least 2.)

There's something profoundly wrong with Yellowfin's Best Beer Making
Country data, because it appears not to count any low-scoring beers,
though that may be a failing of the data Beerme is feeding them. For
example, the list for Canada cuts off at 15.5 point beers, and yet
Molson Canadian is on the site as an 11-point beer. There's a few UI
quirks in their data visualizations too, which make me wonder about
both Yellowfin and Beerme.

Looking through the ratings, I suspect Ratebeer and Beeradvocate do a
better job of covering the breadth of beer, and they seem to suffer
less from one-reviewer beer ratings, which makes for a slightly more
sane distribution of ratings, maybe. I haven't been analytical. But as
a quickie, no beer in Ratebeer's Top 50 list has less than 36 ratings
(and that for a bizarro and rare beer: Alesmith Kopi Luwak Speedway
Stout. Some of you are either recoiling in horror or googling like
crazy as you read this).

BTW, I'm not usually a huge fan of local brewery Howe Sound, but
they're selling a "Father John's Winter Ale" right now that I really,
really like. Note that my natural predjudice is towards strong, sweet,
beers with complex flavors, (basically, weird strong Belgians, just
like my taste in cycling heros, ha ha) and this brew is targeted
squarely at those tastes.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Dec 7, 2010, 6:07:10 PM12/7/10

Every time you click on one of those abortions of
a "data" "visualization" "report" on that Yellowfin page,
Robert Chung kills a kitten.

Won't somebody please think of the kittens?

Fredmaster Ben

Beloved Fred No. 1

Dec 8, 2010, 1:34:53 PM12/8/10
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> Every time you click on one of those abortions of
> a "data" "visualization" "report" on that Yellowfin page,
> Robert Chung kills a kitten.
>
> Won't somebody please think of the kittens?

I think they're Australian so its more likely to be the silence of the
lambs.

Ryan Cousineau

Dec 10, 2010, 10:14:53 AM12/10/10

Actually, somebody kills a bunny rabbit, but in Oz, they do that even
if you don't click on the Yellowfin links.

RicodJour

Dec 10, 2010, 10:40:28 AM12/10/10

In Japan they just kill the Yellowfin - and eat it.

Frederick the Great

Dec 10, 2010, 12:19:27 PM12/10/10
In article
<7c810ee1-4fe6-4ba2...@z26g2000prf.googlegroups.com>,
Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote:

Meanwhile in rbt

<idh3u2$kdg$1...@news.eternal-september.org>

--
Old Fritz

Beloved Fred No. 1

Dec 11, 2010, 11:07:15 AM12/11/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> Actually, somebody kills a bunny rabbit, but in Oz, they do that even
> if you don't click on the Yellowfin links.

While in Canada they do seal pups for McDonalds.