Cycling at the winter olympics

Henry

Feb 15, 2010, 6:28:20 PM2/15/10
there must be some way!

KurganGringioni

Feb 15, 2010, 6:29:25 PM2/15/10

"Henry" <snogfest_...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
news:62522742-d2cc-4937...@x10g2000prk.googlegroups.com...
: there must be some way!

Dumbass -

Use your brain.

Cyclocross.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Bob Schwartz

Feb 15, 2010, 6:48:35 PM2/15/10

Has to take place on ice or snow. Not *can* take place,
*has* to take place.

So there is no way.

Bob Schwartz

KurganGringioni

Feb 15, 2010, 7:04:56 PM2/15/10

"Bob Schwartz" <bob.sc...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net> wrote in message

Dumbass -

If you say so.

http://www.cxmagazine.com/cyclocross-2010-vancouver-olympics-biathlon-venue

Cyclocross in the Olympics has long been a fantasy for 'cross fans
everywhere, but turning that fantasy into reality has been difficult. But
there's progress. In January we were the first (English) website to report
that the IOC was considering adding cyclocross as a Olympic sport. It raised
eyebrows and was soon picked up by numerous blogs (here, here, etc.) and a
day later, major media. Now it appears the sport is one step closer to
making the leap to Olympic status, and several top pros have endorsed the
plan.

LAUSANNE - UCI President Pat McQuaid and IOC President Jacques Rogge
announced on Tuesday a plan to include cyclocross in the 2010 Winter
Olympics in Vancouver, Canada as a demonstration sport. "This is a great day
for both the Olympic and cycling communities," McQuaid said in a prepared
statement. "Bringing cyclocross to the Olympic Games offers an opportunity
to showcase cycling's fastest-growing discipline to the whole world."
McQuaid noted, however, that the event will be unique for several reasons,
mostly related to the requirement that Winter Olympic sports be contested on
ice or snow, a rule that the UCI was unsuccessful at convincing the IOC to
change. As a result, the Olympic 'cross race will be run at the Whistler
Olympic Park and will share portions of the biathlon and nordic ski courses,
and will be run entirely on snow. "The nordic courses at Olympic Park
already incorporate many of the features cyclocross racers expect to see at
international competitions including fly-over bridges, off-camber trails,
and technical turns," said McQuaid of the decision to use these facilities.

<snip><end>

DirtRoadie

Feb 15, 2010, 7:17:10 PM2/15/10
On Feb 15, 4:28 pm, Henry <snogfest_hosebe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> there must be some way!

No problem.

Spiked tires, speed skating oval
http://www.icebike.org/

Spiked tires, hockey rink
http://www.bikepolo.com/

Pugsley, XC ski course
http://bit.ly/9pS5to

Or to be a bit more extreme:
Spiked tires, luge track.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWW4TCltVYo

DH bike, ski jump.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XvYtFwOnHFQ

The possibilities are endless.

DR

bjwe...@gmail.com

Feb 15, 2010, 7:25:07 PM2/15/10
On Feb 15, 4:48 pm, Bob Schwartz <bob.schwa...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net>
wrote:
> KurganGringioni wrote:
> > "Henry" <snogfest_hosebe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> > : there must be some way!
>
> > Dumbass -
>
> > Use your brain.
>
> > Cyclocross.
>
> > thanks,
>
> > Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
>
> Has to take place on ice or snow. Not *can* take place,
> *has* to take place.
>
> So there is no way.

With the amount of rain and marginal snow
cover at Vancouver 2010, we are seeing that
this rule can be bent, so never say never.

Ben
How about "has to take place on ice, snow, or slush?"

Steve Freides

Feb 15, 2010, 7:53:13 PM2/15/10

You did notice the date on that article, I hope.

-S-

Steve Freides

Feb 15, 2010, 7:53:45 PM2/15/10
Henry wrote:
> there must be some way!

There is - stay in a hotel a few miles away, and ride your bike to the
games. You'll be cycling at the winter olympics.

-S-

KurganGringioni

Feb 15, 2010, 8:05:26 PM2/15/10

"Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com> wrote in message
:
: You did notice the date on that article, I hope.

Dumbass -

Woops. Thanks for pointing that out.

Regardless, there is a movement, grassroots and otherwise, to add it to the
Winter Olympics.

http://www.bikeworldnews.com/index.php/2009/01/22/ioc-cyclocross-winter-olympic-sport/

IOC Considering Cyclocross as a Winter Olympic Sport
January 22nd, 2009 by Timothy O'Connor 542 views One Comment
The recurring discussion of cyclocross becoming an Olympic sport has
surfaced again, and it appears to have some traction this time. Cyclocross
Magazine reports that a member of the Italian Cycling Federation told the
Dutch newspaper De Telegraaf today that they are working together with some
other unions in discussing the addition of cyclocross to the winter
Olympics, possibly as early as next year in Vancouver.

One of the major stumbling blocks at the moment is that current Olympic
regulations require that all winter Olympic sports must be competed or
played on ice or snow. However, the IOC is considering removing such
restrictions, which would obviously greatly improve the chance of cyclocross
moving forward as an Olympic sport. Another obstacle has been the perceived
lack of true international interest in cyclocross. With participation
increasing all over the world, including Africa and the Far East, the IOC
will hopefully be more receptive to adding cyclocross to the list of Olympic
events.

ilan

Feb 15, 2010, 8:21:22 PM2/15/10
On Feb 16, 1:04 am, "KurganGringioni" <soulinthemach...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> "Bob Schwartz" <bob.schwa...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net> wrote in message
>
> news:WsudnRPQQJXOQOTW...@giganews.com...: KurganGringioni wrote:
>
> : > "Henry" <snogfest_hosebe...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

> : >news:62522742-d2cc-4937...@x10g2000prk.googlegroups.com...
> : > : there must be some way!
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : > Dumbass -
> : >
> : > Use your brain.
> : >
> : > Cyclocross.
> : >
> : > thanks,
> : >
> : > Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.
> : >
> :
> : Has to take place on ice or snow. Not *can* take place,
> : *has* to take place.
> :
> : So there is no way.
>
> Dumbass -
>
> If you say so.
>
> http://www.cxmagazine.com/cyclocross-2010-vancouver-olympics-biathlon...

To me, the pursuit part of yesterday's Nordic combined reminded me
very much of a cyclocross race.

-ilan

William Asher

Feb 15, 2010, 11:15:01 PM2/15/10
Henry <snogfest_...@yahoo.com> wrote in news:62522742-d2cc-4937-b7a9-
f79d54...@x10g2000prk.googlegroups.com:

> there must be some way!

I think it's already in there as part of the Sn�k�athlaan.

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_in_photos/winter_olympic_event

--
Bill Asher

Donald Munro

Feb 16, 2010, 3:34:49 AM2/16/10
DirtRoadie wrote:
> Spiked tires, luge track.
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWW4TCltVYo

Just add your own triathletes.

Steve Freides

Feb 16, 2010, 8:44:12 AM2/16/10
KurganGringioni wrote:
> "Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com> wrote in message
>>
>> You did notice the date on that article, I hope.
>

> Dumbass -
>
> Woops. Thanks for pointing that out.

Uh, yeah.

> Regardless, there is a movement, grassroots and otherwise, to add it
> to the Winter Olympics.

For what sport is there _not_ a grassroots movement for addition to the
Olympics? Next thing you know, they'll add walking, and probably
shuffleboard after that.

-S-

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Feb 16, 2010, 9:20:50 AM2/16/10
On Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:28:20 -0800 (PST), Henry
<snogfest_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

>there must be some way!

http://www.cyclelicio.us/2010/01/beijing-ice-bicycle.html

Donald Munro

Feb 16, 2010, 9:26:52 AM2/16/10
Steve Freides wrote:
> For what sport is there _not_ a grassroots movement for addition to the
> Olympics? Next thing you know, they'll add walking, and probably
> shuffleboard after that.

They already have walking, at least in the summer version.

Steve Freides

Feb 16, 2010, 9:55:55 AM2/16/10

Uh, yeah, and they already have shuffleboard, too, although it goes by a
different name. Try a google on 'shuffleboard on ice'.

I gotta start adding smileys, I guess ...

Nah.

-S-

Steve Freides

Feb 16, 2010, 10:01:52 AM2/16/10

ilan

Feb 20, 2010, 8:35:28 PM2/20/10
On Feb 16, 12:28 am, Henry <snogfest_hosebe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> there must be some way!

I just noticed that bikes are at the Winter Olympics! Speed skaters
are warming up on them.

-ilan

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 20, 2010, 9:30:32 PM2/20/10
In article
<9ae83217-3a65-458f...@k41g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
ilan <ila...@gmail.com> wrote:

There was an athlete's lounge in Sochi (Russia) House, and you could see
that they had a TV, some nice chairs to sit on, and a few stationary
bikes.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

ilan

Feb 21, 2010, 3:44:14 AM2/21/10
On Feb 21, 3:30 am, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article
> <9ae83217-3a65-458f-bc09-9f4af4d4f...@k41g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,

>  ilan <ilan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > On Feb 16, 12:28 am, Henry <snogfest_hosebe...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > > there must be some way!
>
> > I just noticed that bikes are at the Winter Olympics! Speed skaters
> > are warming up on them.
>
> > -ilan
>
> There was an athlete's lounge in Sochi (Russia) House, and you could see
> that they had a TV, some nice chairs to sit on, and a few stationary
> bikes.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau rcous...@gmail.comhttp://www.wiredcola.com/

> "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

I couldn't believe that Sochi got the 2014 games over Korea. That must
put every other Olympic corruption deal to shame.

-ilan

Donald Munro

Feb 21, 2010, 3:52:28 AM2/21/10
ilan wrote:
> I couldn't believe that Sochi got the 2014 games over Korea. That must
> put every other Olympic corruption deal to shame.

They probably got better package deals for hookers for the IOC
representatives in Sochi.

ilan

Feb 21, 2010, 10:15:35 AM2/21/10

I wonder what kind of hookers the SLC organizers offered, they
convinced Mormon girls of their missionary need?

-ilan

Henry

Feb 21, 2010, 2:22:37 PM2/21/10

1 commentator was saying the Swede who won the 30k cross country
trains in the summer on a bicycle.

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 21, 2010, 6:40:08 PM2/21/10
In article
<90d0a1f5-bc4d-475a...@d27g2000yqf.googlegroups.com>,
ilan <ila...@gmail.com> wrote:

Without knowing much about the merits of each bid, I'd note that Seoul
was in 1988, while the only Russian games were the ill-starred 1980
edition.

Sochi had an interesting giant model (I know) of the town, which really
pointed up how much they were plotting to add. It's a small town; the
Olympics promise to substantially reconstruct it.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

Fred Fredburger

Feb 21, 2010, 8:17:03 PM2/21/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> Sochi had an interesting giant model (I know) of the town, which really
> pointed up how much they were plotting to add. It's a small town; the
> Olympics promise to substantially reconstruct it.

Which underlines why financial comparisons to 1984 Summer Olympics are
likely to be invalid.

KurganGringioni

Feb 21, 2010, 8:22:45 PM2/21/10

"Fred Fredburger" <Som...@Somewhere.You.Dont.Wanna.Be> wrote in message

Dumbass -

If the Russians want to spend money on stuff like that, why complain about
it? It's better than them spending it on upgrading their nuclear arsenal.

Fred Fredburger

Feb 22, 2010, 11:05:35 AM2/22/10

Depending on the price of oil, they could do both. Either way, it's not
for me to complain since I'm not Russian. I'll just sit on the sidelines
and await the inevitable Russian Taxpayer Revolt.

ilan

Feb 22, 2010, 6:49:42 PM2/22/10

That's like saying that curling people train by playing petanque
during the Summer.

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 22, 2010, 11:30:37 PM2/22/10
In article
<9004a2de-eaa0-400e...@v25g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,
ilan <ila...@gmail.com> wrote:

Don't be stupid. Curling is an indoor sport, and as such is played
year-round.

ilan

Feb 23, 2010, 3:47:29 AM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 5:30 am, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article
> <9004a2de-eaa0-400e-8b9d-6d67936fb...@v25g2000yqk.googlegroups.com>,

>  ilan <ilan...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > 1 commentator was saying the Swede who won the 30k cross country
> > > trains in the summer on a bicycle.
>
> > That's like saying that curling people train by playing petanque
> > during the Summer.
>
> Don't be stupid. Curling is an indoor sport, and as such is played
> year-round.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau rcous...@gmail.comhttp://www.wiredcola.com/

> "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

Sorry about that.

Henry

Feb 23, 2010, 3:32:58 PM2/23/10

yeh. now you're sorry