Greipel's train blows it

bar

Apr 20, 2010, 2:46:08 PM4/20/10
Skip to about 2 mins in: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zjqVbLhDfvw

I'll note that the last turn onto the Champs is a right-hander too ...
I bet Cav will veto all these guys from HTC's Turkey lineup for the
TdF ...

heather

Apr 20, 2010, 6:27:19 PM4/20/10

thanks! I haven't been following the PCToT, and I wouldn't have seen
that without your post.

Chuckie

Apr 20, 2010, 6:43:07 PM4/20/10

Scott

Apr 20, 2010, 7:30:25 PM4/20/10

Let me get this straight, you think the crash was because it was a
right hand turn and these guys won't be selected for the TdF because
the final turn on the final stage is also a right hand turn???

bar

Apr 20, 2010, 8:45:10 PM4/20/10

no. apologies for the confusion. what i was trying to suggest is that
Cav will probably not feel comfortable riding behind guys who overcook
and grease out in corners like this one in Turkey. Or, for that
matter, guys who get scared and tap the brakes like Garmin did last
year. But I think this crash was a case of misjudging a corner and
hitting it too fast.

I've googled but can't find anyplace where Cav has commented on this
crash, but I guarantee you he saw it and was taking notes (if not
names).

Scott

Apr 20, 2010, 10:17:48 PM4/20/10

Looked to me like it was only the leading rider who had a problem.
All the others seemed just fine until the lead rider lost his rear
wheel.

bar

Apr 21, 2010, 6:22:34 AM4/21/10

Agreed. But the effect was devastating. Greipel (in a nice way) puts
the blame on Grabsch:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/greipels-turkish-adventure-comes-to-an-end

Also, what the hell was Visconti doing as they crossed the line? Did
he think he'd been impeded or what? He actually thwapped Viviani on
the shoulder there ...