Observations regarding the Winter Olympics

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 22, 2010, 12:18:44 AM2/22/10
All alpine events should be done 4-up format like the ski/board cross.

Short Track speed skating is cool in its own right. Can't help but think
Long Track should also be 5+ to a heat, and on the big ice it might even
be more fun, for drafting/tactics-related reasons.

I don't want to talk about hockey right now. Except that if Jeff
Gillooly is available, I'll pay $20. The name is "Martin Brodeur." He's
at Canada Hockey Place.

Confidential to M. Hollingsworth: if you come in 5th in Skeleton, you
have not let VANOC and the entire country down. It's ok, come back and
look forward to the next event.

Ultimate Winter Sport: 6-up over the boardercross course. Shoot standing
at the bottom. 1 km XC ski, while your teammates sweep the track for
you. Judging awards points for costume quality.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

Fred Fredburger

Feb 22, 2010, 1:12:36 AM2/22/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> I don't want to talk about hockey right now. Except that if Jeff
> Gillooly is available, I'll pay $20. The name is "Martin Brodeur." He's
> at Canada Hockey Place.

I didn't think Brodeur played badly so much as Miller played
spectacularly. In the last 10 minutes _something_ should have made it
past Miller, but miraculously did not.

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 22, 2010, 11:39:45 AM2/22/10
In article <4b82...@news.x-privat.org>,
Fred Fredburger <Som...@Somewhere.You.Dont.Wanna.Be> wrote:

Miller played spectacularly, but the Canadian team scored 3 goals. They
did it on 45(!) shots. That's enough to win if Brodeur had played well.

The Americans scored 4 goals on 22 shots against Brodeur. That's really
weak goaltending, and he's had two games like that.

William Asher

Feb 22, 2010, 1:12:13 PM2/22/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> Miller played spectacularly, but the Canadian team scored 3 goals.
> They did it on 45(!) shots. That's enough to win if Brodeur had played
> well.
>
> The Americans scored 4 goals on 22 shots against Brodeur. That's
> really weak goaltending, and he's had two games like that.

If the world has learned anything since the Rennaisance, it's that if you
put someone with a francophone name in a position of importance then you
don't get to bitch afterwards when things go south on you. Well, that and
that it's a good idea to wash your hands after taking a dump.

--
Bill Asher

Fred Fredburger

Feb 22, 2010, 1:38:22 PM2/22/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <4b82...@news.x-privat.org>,
> Fred Fredburger <Som...@Somewhere.You.Dont.Wanna.Be> wrote:
>
>> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>>
>>> I don't want to talk about hockey right now. Except that if Jeff
>>> Gillooly is available, I'll pay $20. The name is "Martin Brodeur." He's
>>> at Canada Hockey Place.
>> I didn't think Brodeur played badly so much as Miller played
>> spectacularly. In the last 10 minutes _something_ should have made it
>> past Miller, but miraculously did not.
>
> Miller played spectacularly, but the Canadian team scored 3 goals. They
> did it on 45(!) shots. That's enough to win if Brodeur had played well.
>
> The Americans scored 4 goals on 22 shots against Brodeur. That's really
> weak goaltending, and he's had two games like that.

All true.

I think the difference in our point of view here is a result of our
respective nationalities. By which I mean: Canadians are stoopid!

Donald Munro

Feb 22, 2010, 1:55:20 PM2/22/10

Fred Fredburger wrote:
> I think the difference in our point of view here is a result of our
> respective nationalities. By which I mean: Canadians are stoopid!

Stoopid loosers ?

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Feb 22, 2010, 3:25:53 PM2/22/10
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:38:22 -0800, Fred Fredburger
<Som...@Somewhere.You.Dont.Wanna.Be> wrote:

>All true.
>
>I think the difference in our point of view here is a result of our
>respective nationalities. By which I mean: Canadians are stoopid!

I think that is condescending and sanctimonious. Not that there is
anything wrong with that.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 22, 2010, 5:25:03 PM2/22/10
In article <Xns9D2767CF7...@130.133.4.11>,
William Asher <gcn...@yahoo.com> wrote:

My argument is that we should put the Quebec goalie with the Italian
name in net, not the Quebec goalie with the French name. Also, and this
is my second point, go take a flying fuck at a rolling donut all of you
Americans and everyone else (Except Amit; I'm pretty sure he feels my
pain). This is our game, and our rink, and we're taking it back. No more
Mr. Nice Guy, and no more letting in 4 goals on 21 shots.

My third point: I think the US game was a wake-up call. For one thing,
Luongo will get the start against Germany. That means coach Babcock woke
up and noticed the shitty goaltending he was getting from Old Man
Martin. For another thing, I'm not ready to go so far as to guarantee
victory, but I can tell you if, on the odd chance, the Canadians do lose
the gold medal (and yes, even winning silver would be a LOSS), I can
nearly guarantee a riot. We've done it before, and this time there's a
bigger crowd.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Stanley_Cup_riot

http://5z8.info/meinkampf.pdf_l1h5r_mercenary

(Note: second link does not go to same destination as first one).

Fred Fredburger

Feb 22, 2010, 5:37:12 PM2/22/10
cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 10:38:22 -0800, Fred Fredburger
> <Som...@Somewhere.You.Dont.Wanna.Be> wrote:
>
>> All true.
>>
>> I think the difference in our point of view here is a result of our
>> respective nationalities. By which I mean: Canadians are stoopid!
>
> I think that is condescending and sanctimonious.

That's a fair description of me.

Bob Schwartz

Feb 22, 2010, 5:57:27 PM2/22/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> My third point: I think the US game was a wake-up call. For one thing,
> Luongo will get the start against Germany. That means coach Babcock woke
> up and noticed the shitty goaltending he was getting from Old Man
> Martin. For another thing, I'm not ready to go so far as to guarantee
> victory, but I can tell you if, on the odd chance, the Canadians do lose
> the gold medal (and yes, even winning silver would be a LOSS), I can
> nearly guarantee a riot. We've done it before, and this time there's a
> bigger crowd.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Stanley_Cup_riot
>
> http://5z8.info/meinkampf.pdf_l1h5r_mercenary
>
> (Note: second link does not go to same destination as first one).

Two points:

- A surreptitious cross-post is good form for troll bait.
Cross posting to a group that (apparently) no one reads
is dumbass form.

- Hockey fans could learn a thing or two about rioting
from soccer hooligans.

Bob Schwartz

Uncle Dave

Feb 22, 2010, 6:21:50 PM2/22/10
On Feb 22, 5:18 am, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> All alpine events should be done 4-up format like the ski/board cross.

I have a better idea. As most events are only of interest to a very
few countries (for example nobody outside the USA and Canada gives a
shit about ice hockey) why not just cancel the whole silly thing? It
would be good for the environment, athlets could be encouraged to
participate in proper sports and we could get something worth watching
on TV instead. Like paint drying. Curling FFS! GB win medals at
that and yet there are only about three people in the entire world who
even know what the fuck it is. Ice Hockey is like basketball, lots of
people know what it is but only yanks are dumb enough to actually
think it qualifies as a sport and are able to watch it without falling
asleep. And don't start me on ice dancing...

UD

Chopin

Feb 22, 2010, 8:46:28 PM2/22/10
Bob Schwartz wrote:

> - A surreptitious cross-post is good form for troll bait.
> Cross posting to a group that (apparently) no one reads
> is dumbass form.

Maybe they're all just well-mannered. They are Canadians.

Henry

Feb 22, 2010, 9:05:22 PM2/22/10
On Feb 23, 11:25 am, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article <Xns9D2767CF769DEFkldel...@130.133.4.11>,
> Ryan Cousineau rcous...@gmail.comhttp://www.wiredcola.com/

> "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

grow some perspective.
the sun will still rise (polar regions excluded) if the All Blacks
fail to with the next rugby world cup and if Canada lose 4-2 to Russia.

bjwe...@gmail.com

Feb 22, 2010, 10:52:52 PM2/22/10

Nothing upsets a Brit more than a US-Canada rivalry,
especially in a sport where the Brits are non-existent.
They are reduced to throwing themselves to the carpet,
beating their fists and yelling "You colonials, we used
to own the both of you!"

Ben
RBR Minister of Anglophilia

Scott

Feb 22, 2010, 11:10:02 PM2/22/10

The All Blacks not win the WC? Now, that's just crazy talk.

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 22, 2010, 11:30:00 PM2/22/10
In article <4b833376$1...@news.x-privat.org>, Chopin <no...@nowhere.com>
wrote:

Oh crap. No, the problem is I typo'd.

KurganGringioni

Feb 23, 2010, 2:20:27 AM2/23/10

"b...@mambo.ucolick.org" <bjwe...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> Nothing upsets a Brit more than a US-Canada rivalry,
> especially in a sport where the Brits are non-existent.
> They are reduced to throwing themselves to the carpet,
> beating their fists and yelling "You colonials, we used
> to own the both of you!"

Dumbass -

The British Empire's last stand began last week. They started drilling for
oil off the coast of the Falklands.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Uncle Dave

Feb 23, 2010, 3:48:16 AM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 3:52 am, "b...@mambo.ucolick.org" <bjwei...@gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Feb 22, 4:21 pm, Uncle Dave <davidco...@t-online.de> wrote:
>

> > On Feb 22, 5:18 am, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > All alpine events should be done 4-up format like the ski/board cross.
>
> > I have a better idea.  As most events are only of interest to a very
> > few countries (for example nobody outside the USA and Canada gives a
> > shit about ice hockey) why not just cancel the whole silly thing?  It
> > would be good for the environment, athlets could be encouraged to
> > participate in proper sports and we could get something worth watching
> > on TV instead.  Like paint drying.  Curling FFS!  GB win medals at
> > that and yet there are only about three people in the entire world who
> > even know what the fuck it is.  Ice Hockey is like basketball, lots of
> > people know what it is but only yanks are dumb enough to actually
> > think it qualifies as a sport and are able to watch it without falling
> > asleep.  And don't start me on ice dancing...
>
> > UD
>
> Nothing upsets a Brit more than a US-Canada rivalry,

On the contrary, if your "leaders" are occupiped eating popcorn and
watching teady-bear-suited thugs zipping around the ice and clobbering
each other with girlie hockey sticks, then they might not decide to go
off and conquer anyone this week. And as our "leaders" are happy to
send our forces off to die for any dumbass cause the yankee
religionistas are backing, anything that keeps the big, unruly, kids
occupied is a good thing.

Seriously though, virtually all the Winter Olympics are elitist in a
way which I believe goes against the Olympic ideal which is surely
sport for all. True, there are summer sports which are just as
elitist (sailing, equestrian, cycling spring to mind) and exclude
poorer people but nowhere near the extent of the Winter games which
are very much a rich man's playground. How many countries are truly
competitive at each discipline? A handful at most, and on that basis
I think applying the epithet "Olympic" to these exclusive, minor,
sports brings the whole concept down.

UD

KurganGringioni

Feb 23, 2010, 4:20:35 AM2/23/10

"Uncle Dave" <david...@t-online.de> wrote in message

> Seriously though, virtually all the Winter Olympics are elitist in a
> way which I believe goes against the Olympic ideal which is surely
> sport for all. True, there are summer sports which are just as
> elitist (sailing, equestrian, cycling spring to mind) and exclude
> poorer people but nowhere near the extent of the Winter games which
> are very much a rich man's playground. How many countries are truly
> competitive at each discipline?

Dumbass -

Some of them (Alpine skiing and snowboarding) are for rich nations, but
cross country skiing and speed skating are hardly the sports of choice of
the country club set.

A better explanation is the poor equatorial nations don't have snow and ice.

Uncle Dave

Feb 23, 2010, 4:43:06 AM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 9:20 am, "KurganGringioni" <soulinthemach...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> "Uncle Dave" <davidco...@t-online.de> wrote in message

I got mixed up there - I was actually making two points. Firstly, the
elitism of some events and secondly the exclusivity of virtually all.
Speed skating is a good example of the latter. Only in Holland, that
I know of, is there major interest in the sport and elsewhere it is
very much a minority sport. This is because it requires ice and there
is a limit to the number of available rinks, though in some countries
it can be done in the open. Sometimes. I can't think of a winter
sport which isn't either elitist or exclusive to the degree that the
overwhelming majority of the world's population are never going to get
a chance to participate. Calling these winter games "Olympic" is
actually contrary to the Olympic ideal which is somewhat intangible
but I have always taken to be something designed to unite nations in
sport, not divide them. The charter includes encouraging
participation in sports which the winter games can't do. OK, Eddie
the Eagle and Cool Runnings aside, most people inspired to take up
winter sports who do not already live in a country which practices
them, or have their own resources to follow their dream, will not be
able to. That is not the case with the majority of the summer
sports.

Having said that, the preoccupation of the Olympics nowadays seems to
be to make money, and so as long as America plays ice hockey there
will be a Winter Olympics no matter how pointless.

UD

Uncle Dave

Feb 23, 2010, 4:44:48 AM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 4:10 am, Scott <hendricks_sc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> > grow some perspective.
> > the sun will still rise (polar regions excluded) if the All Blacks
> > fail to with the next rugby world cup and if Canada lose 4-2 to Russia.
>
> The All Blacks not win  the WC?  Now, that's just crazy talk.

I've already started building them up over on rsru. That usually does
the trick ;-) This time around it would be crazy if they don't
though...

UD

Donald Munro

Feb 23, 2010, 5:08:55 AM2/23/10
Uncle Dave wrote:
> I got mixed up there - I was actually making two points. Firstly, the
> elitism of some events and secondly the exclusivity of virtually all.
> Speed skating is a good example of the latter. Only in Holland, that
> I know of, is there major interest in the sport and elsewhere it is
> very much a minority sport.

I'm disappointed you brits couldn't make the canadians your bitches in
curling like the yanks did at ice hockey, if only to see the effects on
LIVEDRUNK shares.

Uncle Dave

Feb 23, 2010, 5:45:15 AM2/23/10

You're obviously mistaking me for someone who doesn't get up to fetch
another cup of coffee when the sports anchor leaves the serious stuff
like football and synchronised makeovers to move to the Winter
Olympics (sic) TM.

UD

Donald Munro

Feb 23, 2010, 6:45:40 AM2/23/10
Uncle Dave wrote:
> You're obviously mistaking me for someone who doesn't get up to fetch
> another cup of coffee when the sports anchor leaves the serious stuff
> like football and synchronised makeovers to move to the Winter
> Olympics (sic) TM.

I thought the serious stuff in the UK was John Terry and Ashley Cole's
sex lives.

Uncle Dave

Feb 23, 2010, 7:35:35 AM2/23/10

Oh God, don't...

UD

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Feb 23, 2010, 8:27:40 AM2/23/10
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 22:25:03 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1994_Stanley_Cup_riot
>
>http://5z8.info/meinkampf.pdf_l1h5r_mercenary
>
>(Note: second link does not go to same destination as first one).
>
>--
>Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/
>"In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
>"In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

Ho hum. University of Maryland does worse if they win the ACC
basketball tournament. Michigan State University used to do worse just
to keep warm after the late football games.*

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

*Maybe still if they still have those metal public trash containers
that were such a great hand warmer when lit up. The green paint must
have been purchased for heat resistance.

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Feb 23, 2010, 8:28:46 AM2/23/10
On Mon, 22 Feb 2010 14:37:12 -0800, Fred Fredburger
<Som...@Somewhere.You.Dont.Wanna.Be> wrote:

>> I think that is condescending and sanctimonious.
>
>That's a fair description of me.

Sorry. I didn't intend to be fair. Must have been an off day.

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 23, 2010, 12:39:33 PM2/23/10
In article
<300d3b86-ddad-49da...@g19g2000yqe.googlegroups.com>,
Uncle Dave <david...@t-online.de> wrote:

Shorter Uncle Dave: cold weather is inequitably distributed.

KurganGringioni

Feb 23, 2010, 3:01:30 PM2/23/10

> I got mixed up there - I was actually making two points. Firstly, the
> elitism of some events and secondly the exclusivity of virtually all.
> Speed skating is a good example of the latter. Only in Holland, that
> I know of, is there major interest in the sport and elsewhere it is
> very much a minority sport. This is because it requires ice and there
> is a limit to the number of available rinks, though in some countries
> it can be done in the open.

<snip>

Dumbass -

Where I'm from (Wyoming) people skate on the local ponds and lakes in the
winter. It's not elitist.

Henry

Feb 23, 2010, 3:27:39 PM2/23/10

our glorious All Blacks are chokers on the big stage.

Uncle Dave

Feb 23, 2010, 3:36:35 PM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 8:01 pm, "KurganGringioni" <soulinthemach...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> "Uncle Dave" <davidco...@t-online.de> wrote in message

No it isn't elitist, but it excludes people who don't have frozen
lakes i.e .is exclusive.

UD

KurganGringioni

Feb 23, 2010, 3:57:09 PM2/23/10

>> Dumbass -
>>
>> Where I'm from (Wyoming) people skate on the local ponds and lakes in the
>> winter. It's not elitist.
>
> No it isn't elitist, but it excludes people who don't have frozen
> lakes i.e .is exclusive.

Dumbass -

One could say the same thing about the Summer Olympics. They're adding golf,
definitely an "upper class" pasttime and they already have sailing. Racing
boats is definitely a rich man's sport. And what about 10 meter diving? How
many kids in Africa have access to a 10 meter diving platform? Or gymnastics
apparatus?

Not everyone is going to have equal access to all sports.

Uncle Dave

Feb 23, 2010, 5:08:18 PM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 8:57 pm, "KurganGringioni" <soulinthemach...@gmail.com>
wrote:
> "Uncle Dave" <davidco...@t-online.de> wrote in message

Um, why do you think I worote "True, there are summer sports which are

just as elitist (sailing, equestrian, cycling spring to mind) and
exclude poorer people but nowhere near the extent of the Winter games
which are very much a rich man's playground."

Actually, this is a redundant argument as I no longer bother watching
the Olympics, summer or winter. I hope to go to some events in 2012
but I won't be taking them at all seriously.

UD

Michael Press

Feb 23, 2010, 5:43:58 PM2/23/10
In article
<rcousine-EACAC5.14250222022010@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]>,
Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote:

> In article <Xns9D2767CF7...@130.133.4.11>,

"Ryan Berntt, a rioter who was shot in the head with a
plastic bullet by police, causing a four-week coma and
permanent brain damage, filed a civil suit against
police and the City of Vancouver claiming excessive
force. In 1997, he was found 75 percent liable for his
own injuries, however, the British Columbia Court of
Appeal ordered a new trial in 1999. In 2001, Berntt's
civil suit was dismissed by the Supreme Court of
British Columbia."

Damn fool was already brain damaged,
getting into a riot.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

Feb 23, 2010, 5:59:55 PM2/23/10
In article
<fb1bbc9f-9521-4386...@w12g2000vbj.googlegroups.com>,
Uncle Dave <david...@t-online.de> wrote:

Exactly what do you care about?
I cannot read between the lines.

--
Michael Press

bjwe...@gmail.com

Feb 23, 2010, 6:26:22 PM2/23/10

Dumbasses,

I don't think the Olympics are fair as they are biased
against people like myself who suffer from Wattage
Deficit Disorder. Not to mention biased against people
who have day jobs and can't take much time off
to train, unless they are independently wealthy amateurs
or generously funded by a country's olympic committee
as professional-amateurs, or just plain old professionals
like the NHL or Red Army teams.

The Olympics are a spectacle in which athletics are
used in the service and promotion of nationalism,
local political interests, selling Coke, powermongering
by athletics governing bodies and weirdos with strange
fixations on professional-amateur and general
Bread and Circuses. They have been such since
their inception, whether you think Greece or de Coubertin.
Worrying about some tangential aspect of how their
exclusiveness violates the Olympic Spirit is being naive.

That said, I like "traditional" winter sports such as
alpine and XC skiing better than Ice Fucking Dancing.
But I won't try to justify this by appealing to the ideals,
nature and meaning of the Olympic Movement, a movement
whose corruption makes even the Chess Federation
look like, well, amateurs. It's just that I prefer some
spectacles to others.

Ben
RBR Style Points Judge

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Feb 23, 2010, 6:36:48 PM2/23/10
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:26:22 -0800 (PST), "b...@mambo.ucolick.org"
<bjwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> It's just that I prefer some
>spectacles to others.

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2010/02/23/2010-02-23_pole_dancing_could_be_recognized_as_a_sport_and_headed_to_the_olympics_.html

Unfortunately, most rbr denizens would still be physically challenged.
I, OTOH, only wish to judge the preliminaries. Completely in the
Olympic spirit, mind you. Zeus comes to mind...

Michael Press

Feb 23, 2010, 6:47:28 PM2/23/10
In article
<5aae4f7a-bb26-48dd...@15g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
Uncle Dave <david...@t-online.de> wrote:

IOC really hurt you, bro.

--
Michael Press

K. Fred Gauss

Feb 23, 2010, 11:00:30 PM2/23/10
KurganGringioni wrote:
> "Uncle Dave" <david...@t-online.de> wrote in message
>
>>> Dumbass -
>>>
>>> Where I'm from (Wyoming) people skate on the local ponds and lakes in the
>>> winter. It's not elitist.
>> No it isn't elitist, but it excludes people who don't have frozen
>> lakes i.e .is exclusive.
>

> Dumbass -
>
> One could say the same thing about the Summer Olympics. They're adding golf,
> definitely an "upper class" pasttime and they already have sailing. Racing
> boats is definitely a rich man's sport. And what about 10 meter diving? How
> many kids in Africa have access to a 10 meter diving platform? Or gymnastics
> apparatus?

Where I grew up, we didn't have have Mt. Kilimanjaro to run up. Also, my
parents forced me to wear shoes.

K. Fred Gauss

Feb 23, 2010, 11:02:38 PM2/23/10
cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:
> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 15:26:22 -0800 (PST), "b...@mambo.ucolick.org"
> <bjwe...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> It's just that I prefer some
>> spectacles to others.
>
> http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle/2010/02/23/2010-02-23_pole_dancing_could_be_recognized_as_a_sport_and_headed_to_the_olympics_.html
>
> Unfortunately, most rbr denizens would still be physically challenged.
> I, OTOH, only wish to judge the preliminaries. Completely in the
> Olympic spirit, mind you. Zeus comes to mind...

Thank you for that. It inspired me.

Donald Munro

Feb 24, 2010, 3:52:32 AM2/24/10
b...@mambo.ucolick.org wrote:
> That said, I like "traditional" winter sports such as
> alpine and XC skiing better than Ice Fucking Dancing.

Ice Fucking Dancing sounds quite interesting in a bohemian way.
Presumably you get style points based on positions adopted and how long
your performance goes on.

Donald Munro

Feb 24, 2010, 3:55:48 AM2/24/10
Michael Press wrote:
> I cannot read between the lines.

Obligatory shadyurl of the day:

<http://5z8.info/56-DEPLOY-TROJAN-287.mw9----_k3m1p_girlsgonewildpart1.wmv>

Uncle Dave

Feb 24, 2010, 5:27:42 AM2/24/10
On Feb 23, 11:47 pm, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:

<schnippen von flippen>

> IOC really hurt you, bro.

:-) No, since the whole thing became professional it's terribly
predictable. Including pro basketball players was the icing on the
cake although it's interesting to note that the only country in the
world with a major pro basketball league hasn't had everything its own
way in recent times. That must really piss off the NBA who presumably
(I don't know, I'd rather be hung than watch basketball) crown their
champions as "World Champions"?. I don't see the point anymore as
(virtually) every major sport has a competition which is seen either
as the equivalent or "greater" than the Olympics.

UD

Bob Schwartz

Feb 24, 2010, 9:42:45 AM2/24/10
Uncle Dave wrote:
> Including pro basketball players was the icing on the
> cake although it's interesting to note that the only country in the
> world with a major pro basketball league hasn't had everything its own
> way in recent times. That must really piss off the NBA who presumably
> (I don't know, I'd rather be hung than watch basketball) crown their
> champions as "World Champions"?.

No, the issue there is that the NBA doesn't give that much of
a shit about the Olympics. There is immense amounts of money in
the sport, but none of it is in the Olympics.

I wish professional cycling would tell the IOC to shove off.
Being affiliated with the Olympics involves much more burden
than benefit.

Bob Schwartz

Henry

Feb 24, 2010, 2:42:27 PM2/24/10
On Feb 25, 3:42 am, Bob Schwartz <bob.schwa...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net>
wrote:

the feels like a very American comment; please fight insular type-cast

Amit Ghosh

Feb 24, 2010, 2:53:21 PM2/24/10
On Feb 24, 5:27 am, Uncle Dave <davidco...@t-online.de> wrote:

> it's interesting to note that the only country in the
> world with a major pro basketball league hasn't had everything its own
> way in recent times.

dumbass,

other countries do have pro basketball, but the NBA has pretty much
gotten it's own way with regards to how the sport is governed.

i don't think they care that much about which country wins the gold
medal or world championships - any team that does features NBA players
anyway.

Uncle Dave

Feb 24, 2010, 5:23:01 PM2/24/10
On Feb 24, 7:53 pm, Amit Ghosh <amit.gh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 24, 5:27 am, Uncle Dave <davidco...@t-online.de> wrote:
>
> > it's interesting to note that the only country in the
> > world with a major pro basketball league hasn't had everything its own
> > way in recent times.
>
> dumbass,
>
> other countries do have pro basketball, but the NBA has pretty much
> gotten it's own way with regards to how the sport is governed.

MAJOR. I wrote "MAJOR pro basketball". The UK has a pro league, I
doubt they earn very much as most teams are based in quite small
towns. Good luck to them though, I have nothing against the sport but
major it ain't.

I do wish you blokes would comment on what I wrote and not what you
wanted me to have wrote. (See above!)

Love and kisseseses

UD

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 24, 2010, 6:12:43 PM2/24/10
In article
<94dca538-bba4-4129...@b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,
Uncle Dave <david...@t-online.de> wrote:

Major is a debatable term, and I acknowledge the massive primacy of the
NBA, but the Greek and Italian pro leagues are for real.

Their "majorness" is akin to that of the Major League Soccer league in
the US: not at the level of the top Euro leagues, but widely reported,
televised, and paying a full-time wage.

Barry Taylor

Feb 24, 2010, 8:31:34 PM2/24/10

> On Feb 24, 7:53 pm, Amit Ghosh <amit.gh...@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Feb 24, 5:27 am, Uncle Dave <davidco...@t-online.de> wrote:
>>
>> > it's interesting to note that the only country in the
>> > world with a major pro basketball league hasn't had everything its own
>> > way in recent times.
>>
>> dumbass,
>>
>> other countries do have pro basketball, but the NBA has pretty much
>> gotten it's own way with regards to how the sport is governed.
>
> MAJOR. I wrote "MAJOR pro basketball". The UK has a pro league, I
> doubt they earn very much as most teams are based in quite small
> towns. Good luck to them though, I have nothing against the sport but
> major it ain't.

maybe you need to define MAJOR ...
and then you could explain your ignorance of the pro basketball leagues
that operate in countries like Russia, Australia and several European
countries

> I do wish you blokes would comment on what I wrote and not what you
> wanted me to have wrote. (See above!)
>
> Love and kisseseses
>
> UD

---

a friendly growl from the drop bear who cycles

__ __ __ _ __
/__/ / /__/ /_ /_\ /_ /
/_ / _ / /__/ /__ / \ / \ ....Azzuri Milano

barry j taylor < tayl...@aapt.net.au >

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*) . . . bjbear on his treadly

Fred

Feb 24, 2010, 9:21:24 PM2/24/10

They haven't been the same since Lomu retired.

Fred

Fred

Feb 24, 2010, 9:23:35 PM2/24/10
On Feb 24, 4:12 pm, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> In article
> <94dca538-bba4-4129-84c0-c35afb65c...@b2g2000yqi.googlegroups.com>,

>  Uncle Dave <davidco...@t-online.de> wrote:

> > > dumbass,
>
> > > other countries do have pro basketball, but the NBA has pretty much
> > > gotten it's own way with regards to how the sport is governed.
>
> > MAJOR.  I wrote "MAJOR pro basketball".  The UK has a pro league, I
> > doubt they earn very much as most teams are based in quite small
> > towns.  Good luck to them though, I have nothing against the sport but
> > major it ain't.
>
> > I do wish you blokes would comment on what I wrote and not what you
> > wanted me to have wrote.  (See above!)
>
> Major is a debatable term, and I acknowledge the massive primacy of the
> NBA, but the Greek and Italian pro leagues are for real.
>
> Their "majorness" is akin to that of the Major League Soccer league in
> the US: not at the level of the top Euro leagues, but widely reported,
> televised, and paying a full-time wage.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau rcous...@gmail.comhttp://www.wiredcola.com/

> "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

The Greek and Italian leagues are littered w/ players not good enough
to be bench warmers in the NBA.

Fred

Amit Ghosh

Feb 25, 2010, 2:02:01 AM2/25/10
On Feb 24, 9:23 pm, Fred <fred.gar...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> The Greek and Italian leagues are littered w/ players not good enough
> to be bench warmers in the NBA.

dumbass,

perhaps, but a lot of notable NBA players previously played in europe
previously (as opposed to being drafted from a US college - the usual
route to the NBA).

Amit Ghosh

Feb 25, 2010, 2:04:46 AM2/25/10
On Feb 24, 5:23 pm, Uncle Dave <davidco...@t-online.de> wrote:

> MAJOR.  I wrote "MAJOR pro basketball".  The UK has a pro league, I
> doubt they earn very much as most teams are based in quite small
> towns.  Good luck to them though, I have nothing against the sport but
> major it ain't.
>
> I do wish you blokes would comment on what I wrote and not what you
> wanted me to have wrote.  (See above!)

dumbass,

you're also wrong about the NBA being "pissed" when the US doesn't win
the olympics in basketball, every other contending team will also have
NBA players. the league isn't only americans.

Kurgan Gringioni

Feb 25, 2010, 3:09:05 AM2/25/10

"Amit Ghosh" <amit....@gmail.com> wrote in message

> you're also wrong about the NBA being "pissed" when the US doesn't win
> the olympics in basketball, every other contending team will also have
> NBA players. the league isn't only americans.

Dumbass -

You are correct about the NBA not getting "pissed". They want the sport to
grow internationally and it's actually good for the NBA if someone besides
the US wins. It brings the NBA more attention from other markets.

That said, in 2004 the Argentine team won and they didn't have one single
NBA player.

Amit Ghosh

Feb 25, 2010, 9:40:58 AM2/25/10
On Feb 25, 3:09 am, "Kurgan Gringioni" <kgringi...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> Dumbass -
>
> You are correct about the NBA not getting "pissed". They want the sport to
> grow internationally and it's actually good for the NBA if someone besides
> the US wins. It brings the NBA more attention from other markets.
>
> That said, in 2004 the Argentine team won and they didn't have one single
> NBA player.

dumbass,

ginobili was on that team.