Hey Davey

Carl Sundquist

Jun 21, 2009, 10:29:07 AM6/21/09
My European cycling history isn't deep enough when it comes to the 70's.

According to this Chung Chart

<http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hUhk9ZVcUAw/SjPddO-2dXI/AAAAAAAAAgE/WQIjKWryzSI/s1600-h/tdf-and-giro.png>

there was a swing from a decreasing average speed to an increasing speed.

What would you say was the cause for that?

RicodJour

Jun 21, 2009, 11:37:02 AM6/21/09
On Jun 21, 10:29 am, Carl Sundquist <carlsun.rem...@cox.net> wrote:
> My European cycling history isn't deep enough when it comes to the 70's.
>
> According to this Chung Chart
>
> <http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hUhk9ZVcUAw/SjPddO-2dXI/AAAAAAAAAgE/WQIjKWr...>

> there was a swing from a decreasing average speed to an increasing speed.
>
> What would you say was the cause for that?

Either The Beatles or leather hairnets.

Davey Crockett

Jun 21, 2009, 11:46:03 AM6/21/09
Carl Sundquist a �crit profondement:

Off hand I don't know Carl, but will give it some thought when I have
more time tomorrow since it's almost dinner time here.

But what you might consider on the Downside is that during this time
(and I'll check more closely for exact dates tomoorow) the teams were
National Teams.

And on the Upside - Well didn't Merckx WIN his first TOUR in 1969?
The Faema squad all rode for Merckx to a man which often wasn't the case
with other squads vis a vis the nominal leader.
And remember he was booted from the Giro that year for charging up and
took on so much shit to win the Tour that his heart rythm was so
irregular that the Doctor strongly suggested that he abandon for
"health" reasons.

You should have heard Eddy when he got caught at the Giro. It was a real
Royal Command Performance, Real tears and Wailing and the whole Nine
Yards. Eddy was a 10 compared to Flandis and Hamilton who would make at
best a 5 or 6 when compared with Eddy.

Will get back to you again though

--
Davey Crockett
-

Donald Munro

Jun 21, 2009, 1:21:59 PM6/21/09

RicodJour wrote:
> Either The Beatles or leather hairnets.

Mini skirts.
<http://www.sinlung.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/04/mini-skirt.jpg>

Bob Schwartz

Jun 21, 2009, 5:25:48 PM6/21/09
Davey Crockett wrote:
> Carl Sundquist a �crit profondement:
>
> | My European cycling history isn't deep enough when it comes to the 70's.
> |
> | According to this Chung Chart
> |
> | <http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_hUhk9ZVcUAw/SjPddO-2dXI/AAAAAAAAAgE/WQIjKWryzSI/s1600-h/tdf-and-giro.png>
> |
> | there was a swing from a decreasing average speed to an increasing speed.
> |
> | What would you say was the cause for that?
>
> Off hand I don't know Carl, but will give it some thought when I have
> more time tomorrow since it's almost dinner time here.
>
> But what you might consider on the Downside is that during this time
> (and I'll check more closely for exact dates tomoorow) the teams were
> National Teams.

National teams lasted from 1930-1961, and two additional years in
1967-8.

Just an idea, is this around the time that stages began to finish
at ski resorts?

Bob Schwartz

Magilla Gorilla

Mar 21, 2010, 8:55:31 AM3/21/10