Waste of money

Rik Van Slick

Apr 3, 2010, 9:15:42 AM4/3/10
I can't believe the CCA is wasting money on this fucking nonsense:

http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/canadian-cycling-association-launches-race-clean-anti-doping-program

Do they really believe there is a doping problem in Canadian cycling?
Do they seriously think advertising that our sport is dirty will
attract new racers and membership? What an attractive pitch to
potential sponsors!

It pisses me off that these fucking lemmings can't find a better way
to use membership money, or God forbid Federal grant money, which
means wasted tax dollars.

An anti-doping campaign aimed at Canadian curling would be much more
appropriate.

Magilla Gorilla

Apr 3, 2010, 10:40:00 AM4/3/10
Rik Van Slick wrote:

This same CCA never got Geneviéve Jeanson to pay back a single penny of prize money from her entire
career as a rider doped to the gills on EPO. And now they are trying to portray themselves as the
anti-doping example to the world?

Canadian cycling is in serious trouble. All their riders suck.

Thanks,

Magilla

RobertH

Apr 3, 2010, 1:26:46 PM4/3/10
On Apr 3, 7:40 am, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote:

> Canadian cycling is in serious trouble. All their riders suck.

I like Hejdal .. or however the f#@* that's spelled.

Rik Van Slick

Apr 3, 2010, 1:57:09 PM4/3/10
On Apr 3, 10:40 am, Magilla Gorilla <m.gori...@sandiegozoo.org> wrote:
> Rik Van Slick wrote:
> > I can't believe the CCA is wasting  money on this fucking nonsense:
>
> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/canadian-cycling-association-launches...

> > Do they really believe there is a doping problem in Canadian cycling?
> > Do they seriously think advertising that our sport is dirty will
> > attract new racers and membership?  What an attractive pitch to
> > potential sponsors!
>
> > It pisses me off that these fucking lemmings can't find a better way
> > to use membership money, or God forbid Federal grant money, which
> > means wasted tax dollars.
>
> > An anti-doping campaign aimed at Canadian curling would be much more
> > appropriate.
>
> This same CCA never got Geneviéve Jeanson to pay back a single penny of prize money from her entire
> career as a rider doped to the gills on EPO.  And now they are trying to portray themselves as the
> anti-doping example to the world?
>
> Canadian cycling is in serious trouble.  All their riders suck.
>
> Thanks,
>
> Magilla- Hide quoted text -

The whole scene is run by fucking nerds. You know, the dorks in high
school who were too lame to make the football team, but loved the game
so they stuck around to become equipment managers. All they do is
fetish over nonsensical rules & have circle jerks over meaningless
minutiae. They are too spineless to get real jobs or actually
participate in the sport. And Canadians are too politely deferential
to Authority to criticize these weasels.

Did you know that the Ontario Cycling Association is so lame that they
do not have online racing licence registration? To register you have
to print out a PDF form, fill it out, jot down you credit card info
(to pay for the privilige of belonging to the OCA) and put in the
mail. I mean, when is the last time you wrote your credit card info
on a form & put it in the mail? Fuck people the '90s are long gone!
Get it together!

Fred Flintstein

Apr 3, 2010, 4:40:31 PM4/3/10

Well, I was going to suggest a campaign against steroids in hockey
but it isn't needed. You never hear about positive tests so you
know they're clean.

Fred Flintstein

Magilla Gorilla

Apr 3, 2010, 4:43:56 PM4/3/10
Rik Van Slick wrote:

That's why Shania Twain and Lyne Bessette chose to move to America....to get away from those goddamn
idiots who choose to live in perpetual winter.

Magilla

Betty Munro

Apr 3, 2010, 5:04:13 PM4/3/10
Rik Van Slick wrote:
> Did you know that the Ontario Cycling Association is so lame that they
> do not have online racing licence registration? To register you have
> to print out a PDF form, fill it out, jot down you credit card info
> (to pay for the privilige of belonging to the OCA) and put in the
> mail. I mean, when is the last time you wrote your credit card info
> on a form & put it in the mail? Fuck people the '90s are long gone!
> Get it together!

Singing the 3rd world blues.

Rik Van Slick

Apr 3, 2010, 9:41:34 PM4/3/10

I bet there are plenty of 3rd world countries with online
registration. Canada is loaded up with a bunch of nebbish dumb-asses
that keep the wheel from turning forward.

Rik Van Slick

Apr 3, 2010, 10:10:09 PM4/3/10

Shanina moved to Switzerland with Mutt. Plenty of winter there. I
don't know the deal aboot Ms. Bessette. She is not hot enough to
register on the radar screen.

Fred K. Gringioni

Apr 3, 2010, 11:42:56 PM4/3/10

"Rik Van Slick" <gyrer...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

>I can't believe the CCA is wasting money on this fucking nonsense:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/canadian-cycling-association-launches-race-clean-anti-doping-program
>
> Do they really believe there is a doping problem in Canadian cycling?

OWN THE PODIUM!

Magilla Gorilla

Apr 4, 2010, 12:41:45 AM4/4/10
Rik Van Slick wrote:

Mutt cheated on 10 with that nanny. That don't impress me much. Bessette cleans up nicely. Let the hair
grow out a bit and then throw Timmy off a cliff and make it look like an accident.

Thanks,

Magilla

Ryan Cousineau

Apr 4, 2010, 4:58:36 AM4/4/10
In article
<8fbaa60d-0ef1-472b...@z6g2000yqz.googlegroups.com>,
RobertH <r15...@aol.com> wrote:

HeSjedal.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

mtb Dad

Apr 4, 2010, 7:26:24 PM4/4/10
On Apr 3, 6:15 am, Rik Van Slick <gyrerac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I can't believe the CCA is wasting  money on this fucking nonsense:
>
> http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/canadian-cycling-association-launches...

> Do they really believe there is a doping problem in Canadian cycling?
> Do they seriously think advertising that our sport is dirty will
> attract new racers and membership?  What an attractive pitch to
> potential sponsors!
>
> It pisses me off that these fucking lemmings can't find a better way
> to use membership money, or God forbid Federal grant money, which
> means wasted tax dollars.
>
> An anti-doping campaign aimed at Canadian curling would be much more
> appropriate.

Canadian cycling has had lots of doping problems, both open and
hidden. There's still the unnamed multi-medallist that Jeanson's doc
admitted to doping. Might be a good idea to at least try to do
something before that boil pops. I think Race Clean will attract
those who might otherwise have said, 'No thanks' to the doping
culture. And it didn't hurt hockey to run numerous anti-violence
campaigns. Was that advertising they had a problem, or dealing with
it? Catching Jeanson didn't seem to hurt Rona, who stayed in sport
with the Olympics in a big way, nor Arsenault, who is launching his
protour races this year. Maybe you should clarify for Kabush and the
other national team athletes how exactly they're wrong.

Amit Ghosh

Apr 4, 2010, 8:25:18 PM4/4/10

dumbass,

the CCA is a bunch of plutocrats that live in a castle in ottawa and
stop doping by giving people free socks. they basically exist in
another universe as far as i am concerned and really don't have any
impact on 99% of bike racers.

but do you really think the "problem" with canadian cycling is that
people in ontario can't buy a license online with a credit card ?

you are only semi-right that ".. Canadians are too politely

deferential to Authority to criticize these weasels."

in my experience people are more than willing to criticize on online
or whatever, but very few will actually try to do anything to make the
changes they want to see. if you are a member of the OCA, you have a
say in it's policy, so if the OCA is lacking in some way it is the
fault of the membership.

when cycling was smaller anyone who wanted to race or train had to get
together with others who wanted to do the same and figure out how to
hold races, be insured. close roads, train coaches, train officials
etc.

but now cycling is in some middle ground, where most people can just
show up and use the services. so now when people join the OCA or a
club they see themselves as a customer, not a member. because of this
a lot more cycling "services" are being offered by a business rather
than as activity among members.

as a business you can offer what you want and price it accordingly and
the customer either has to take it or leave it. cyclists have some
sort of cognitive disconnect, that they complain about what the OCA/
CCA does with their $100 fee (something they actually have a say in),
but they don't mind paying a bike shop $2000 for a plastic frame.

Rik Van Slick

Apr 4, 2010, 9:17:01 PM4/4/10
On Apr 4, 8:25 pm, Amit Ghosh <amit.gh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Apr 3, 1:57 pm, Rik Van Slick <gyrerac...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>

> dumbass,

Thanks!

> the CCA is a bunch of plutocrats that live in a castle in ottawa and
> stop doping by giving people free socks. they basically exist in
> another universe as far as i am concerned and really don't have any
> impact on 99% of bike racers.
>
> but do you really think the "problem" with canadian cycling is that
> people in ontario can't buy a license online with a credit card ?

Metaphorically, yes. It is a suggestion that those that run the show
are out of tune with what its customers want, and too clueless to
address providing basic services.

> you are only semi-right that  ".. Canadians are too politely
> deferential to Authority to criticize these weasels."
>
> in my experience people are more than willing to criticize on online
> or whatever, but very few will actually try to do anything to make the
> changes they want to see. if you are a member of the OCA, you have a
> say in it's policy, so if the OCA is lacking in some way it is the
> fault of the membership.

I did my time tilting at windmills trying to contribute/influence the
OCA. Bureaucratic inertia inhibits change. That and a Toronto-centric
orientation makes working with/for the OCA a royal pain in the ass. I
still see the same nonsense happening today as I did in the late 80's
and early 90's.

> when cycling was smaller anyone who wanted to race or train had to get
> together with others who wanted to do the same and figure out how to
> hold races, be insured. close roads, train coaches, train officials
> etc.

> but now cycling is in some middle ground, where most people can just
> show up and use the services. so now when people join the OCA or a
> club they see themselves as a customer, not a member. because of this
> a lot more cycling "services" are being offered by a business rather
> than as activity among members.
>
> as a business you can offer what you want and price it accordingly and
> the customer either has to take it or leave it. cyclists have some
> sort of cognitive disconnect, that they complain about what the OCA/
> CCA does with their $100 fee (something they actually have a say in),
> but they don't mind paying a bike shop $2000 for a plastic frame.

The OCA/CCA does not care about what membership want. They are even
less interested in change or members contributing ideas. That is the
norm with bureacracies. I now accept that situation. However I still
enjoy bitching about it!

Amit Ghosh

Apr 4, 2010, 9:55:24 PM4/4/10

> Metaphorically, yes. It is a suggestion that those that run the show
> are out of tune with what its customers want, and too clueless to
> address providing basic services.

members aren't customers. the OCA has a staff, but the management
decisions are all made by volunteers - ie. members.

> I did my time tilting at windmills trying to contribute/influence the
> OCA. Bureaucratic inertia inhibits change. That and a Toronto-centric
> orientation makes working with/for the OCA a royal pain in the ass. I
> still see the same nonsense happening today as I did in the late 80's
> and early 90's.

> The OCA/CCA does not care about what membership want. They are even

> less interested in change or members contributing ideas.

in the last few years the OCA has:

-introduced citizen permits and citizen events, these are a cheaper
way for newcomers to enter the sport can gives organizers a cheaper
alternative for organizing low key events

-introduced ability based masters categories. this was initiated by
members and has been a success.

-created and held organizers to a standard for O-cup races (with
respect to results reporting, officiating etc), and those races are at
a far higher quality than they were 10-12 years ago.

riders to complain about things like the introduction of extensive
fines for numerous violations, but unfortunately that is the only way
to get riders to obey the rules and not do things that create hazards,
hurt races, cost money or create more work for people.

Rik Van Slick

Apr 4, 2010, 10:21:26 PM4/4/10
On Apr 4, 9:55 pm, Amit Ghosh <amit.gh...@gmail.com> wrote:
> > Metaphorically, yes. It is a suggestion that those that run the show
> > are out of tune with what its customers want, and too clueless to
> > address providing basic services.
>
> members aren't customers. the OCA has a staff, but the management
> decisions are all made by volunteers - ie. members.

Members are customers! You are a member of Costco - yet still
customer. You are a member of the CAA - yet still a customer. When I
spend my money on a product, service, or membership I expect value for
what I spend. The governing bodies of cycling in Canada fail to offer
that value. And, people really get there knickers in a twist when such
an opinion is expressed, as though it were an act of sedition.

I have friends who have purchased this "Citizen Permit" (such a
condescending term) from the OCA. For their forty bucks they got a
little business card, with a number written on it in ball point pen,
and a promise of a regular OCA newsletter. No newsletter was EVER
received, nor was a renewal notice sent out at the end of the year.
What an ingenious way to attract and retain a membership base!

Fred Flintstein

Apr 4, 2010, 11:11:53 PM4/4/10
Rik Van Slick wrote:
> Members are customers! You are a member of Costco - yet still
> customer. You are a member of the CAA - yet still a customer. When I
> spend my money on a product, service, or membership I expect value for
> what I spend. The governing bodies of cycling in Canada fail to offer
> that value. And, people really get there knickers in a twist when such
> an opinion is expressed, as though it were an act of sedition.

Dumbass,

I have no influence in my national federation. It is organized
that riders are all customers rather than members, although
few know or care. I can whine and bitch until the cows come
home and none of it will matter. So I don't whine or bitch.

As a race organizer the most important thing is insurance. I
can think of three sources for roughly equivalent insurance
coverage. Of those three, my national federation is the worst.
And by a large margin, mostly due to the baggage that they
insist promoters take on so that they can sell licenses.

So I don't go through the national federation for the races
that my club organizes. Really, it is just that simple. Riders
don't care.

Lots of other people felt the same way, which cost my national
federation a lot of money. As a result my local association
enjoys much better agreements with the national federation
than they ever would have gotten if everybody would have just
whined and bitched on the internet. They don't care what
membership thinks unless it costs them money.

Just sayin'. Dumbass.

Fred Flintstein

Amit Ghosh

Apr 4, 2010, 11:14:48 PM4/4/10
On Apr 4, 10:21 pm, Rik Van Slick <gyrerac...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Members are customers! You  are a member of Costco - yet still
> customer. You are a member of the CAA - yet still a customer. When I
> spend my money on a product, service, or membership I expect value for
> what I spend. The governing bodies of cycling in Canada fail to offer
> that value. And, people really get there knickers in a twist when such
> an opinion is expressed, as though it were an act of  sedition.

dumbass,

i disagree. the notion of membership is used by a lot of businesses
(amex, golf clubs, health clubs), but paricularly if you are talking
about a non profit group a membership implies that you belong to a
group of people with the same objectives and all the members are
willing to work for those objectives. OCA management decisions are
made by members, if all members decided to eliminate the membership
fee they could do it. if all the customers at costco decided to
eliminate the fee they could not do it.

> I have friends who have purchased this "Citizen Permit"  (such a
> condescending term) from the OCA. For their forty bucks they got a
> little business card, with a number written on it in ball point pen,
> and a promise of a regular OCA newsletter. No newsletter was EVER
> received, nor was a renewal notice sent out at the end of the year.
> What an ingenious way to attract and retain a membership base!

for that forty bucks you are covered under the insurance plan an you
get access to all the weekly events, all the cyclocross events, any
citizen events and intro category events at road and mtn bike OCups -
maybe 90 days of racing. so it is a bargain.

the OCA stopped sending out renewal notices by mail a couple years
ago. if you went to the AGM you would know that paper mail was a large
(and nowadays unnecessary expense).

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Apr 5, 2010, 7:44:19 AM4/5/10
On Sun, 4 Apr 2010 17:25:18 -0700 (PDT), Amit Ghosh
<amit....@gmail.com> wrote:

>but do you really think the "problem" with canadian cycling is that
>people in ontario can't buy a license online with a credit card ?

Amusingly, a lot of membership organizations kill the on-line credit
card function if they have a routine renewal period (like June 15 to
July 15) or don't use it with membership fees. On-line credit cards
take a bigger piece of the pie than about any other form of payment
(credit card processors charge a bigger percentage the further you are
from having the card in hand - there is generally a three tier pricing
scheme and in some cases a fourth tier). So while the people in
Ontario may be behind the times, they are in line with what a decent
number of membership organizations do today because it simply costs
too much money of a major line item (pretty much like giving up 4.5 to
5% of your budgeted income line over processing checks in the U.S. and
Canada). If you feel you have the membership locked in, it only saves
you money.

BTW, not generally true in Europe, since the transaction system is not
as owned by the credit card processors as it is in NA. The transaction
system in NA does not properly allocate the true costs of transaction
fees, so it is extemely common for consumers to pay extra for
'features' that primary reduce costs to the banks and processors. I've
always been shocked, shocked by this.

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...