What's better than a silver medal in the non-special Olympics?

1 view

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 23, 2010, 2:01:12 AM2/23/10
A bronze:

http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=45218.html

I guess because bronze is last winner, while silver is first loser.

--
Ryan Cousineau rcou...@gmail.com http://www.wiredcola.com/

KurganGringioni

Feb 23, 2010, 2:11:25 AM2/23/10

"Ryan Cousineau" <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote in message
:A bronze:

:
: http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=45218.html
:
: I guess because bronze is last winner, while silver is first loser.
:

Dumbass -

What's even better is making Canada our Bitch in men's hockey.

On Jim Rome today, some Canadian wanker called up and said, "If you didn't
have Miller you would have lost!"

Is that dude one of your buddies? If not, maybe he hangs out with Jonathan
Page.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Steve Freides

Feb 23, 2010, 10:09:15 AM2/23/10
KurganGringioni wrote:
> "Ryan Cousineau" <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote in message
>> A bronze:
>>
>> http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=45218.html
>>
>> I guess because bronze is last winner, while silver is first loser.
>>

> Dumbass -
>
> What's even better is making Canada our Bitch in men's hockey.

You have to wonder how much of Canada's loss has to do with Martin
Brodeur's performance or lack thereof. It's already been announced he's
not starting the next game, and he's gotten pulled from several NHL
games this season as well. I am no big hockey fan and really can't
comment on his performance, just sayin' that he has been getting pulled
and it's not inconceivable that the two teams are closer in skill level,
save their goalies, than the score of the recent game showed.

-S-

Bob Schwartz

Feb 23, 2010, 8:09:32 AM2/23/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> A bronze:
>
> http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=45218.html
>
> I guess because bronze is last winner, while silver is first loser.

The bronze that Petra Majdic( took will be the one that
people remember from these games.

Bob Schwartz

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Feb 23, 2010, 8:35:32 AM2/23/10
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:01:12 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@gmail.com>
wrote:

>A bronze:
>
>http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=45218.html
>
>I guess because bronze is last winner, while silver is first loser.

Interesting, but not surprising. However, the last line made me
regurgitate. She has to be, what, 29, 30?

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 23, 2010, 12:16:12 PM2/23/10
In article <7ui9cr...@mid.individual.net>,
"Steve Freides" <st...@kbnj.com> wrote:

ALL OF IT! Seriously, the Canadians outshot the US handily, and scored 3
goals.

That said, every goalie gets pulled sometimes. Luongo has turned in a
few stinkers, too, but Brodeur's last few games have been below average
by NHL standards, not just Brodeur standards. It makes you wonder if
he's playing hurt, or sick, or old, or maybe really unlucky.

The Canadians have played some really dominant hockey EXCEPT for
goaltending, so I'm quietly confident about their shot, despite the ugly
backdoor route they now have to the gold medal game.

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 23, 2010, 12:21:58 PM2/23/10
In article <hlvv2u$51r$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"KurganGringioni" <soulinth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> :A bronze:
> :
> : http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=45218.html
> :
> : I guess because bronze is last winner, while silver is first loser.
> :
>

> Dumbass -
>
> What's even better is making Canada our Bitch in men's hockey.
>
> On Jim Rome today, some Canadian wanker called up and said, "If you didn't
> have Miller you would have lost!"

Dummer junge: if we didn't have Brodeur you would have lost.

Is this you in the T-Mobile jersey?

http://velonews.competitor.com/2004/03/photos/zabel-celebrates-but-freire
-wins_27135

Steve Freides

Feb 23, 2010, 1:00:33 PM2/23/10

I think just old, but sometimes old just means he needs to do a little
less. He might be just fine if he was in a situation where he shared
the job with someone else, or at least had a backup who played more
often than most.

-S-

Uncle Dave

Feb 23, 2010, 1:20:31 PM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 5:16 pm, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:

<snip>

> That said, every goalie gets pulled sometimes. Luongo has turned in a
> few stinkers, too,

Jeannie Longo plays ice hockey?! Does this mean the end (at last) of
her cycling career?

UD

Victor Kan

Feb 23, 2010, 2:13:12 PM2/23/10
On Feb 23, 2:01 am, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A bronze:
>
> http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=45218.html
>
> I guess because bronze is last winner, while silver is first loser.

I thought it would be Plushenko's Platinum Medal.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/22/evgeni-plushenkos-platinu_n_472590.html

Donald Munro

Feb 23, 2010, 2:15:40 PM2/23/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> ALL OF IT! Seriously, the Canadians outshot the US handily, and scored 3
> goals.

Its been a bad week for Canada:
<http://www.cricketworld.com/internationalcricketnews/article/?aid=23294>

Next thing the Taliban are going to take out your curling team and the
ice hockey team will make the switch to figure skating.

KurganGringioni

Feb 23, 2010, 2:58:09 PM2/23/10

: In article <hlvv2u$51r$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

: "KurganGringioni" <soulinth...@gmail.com> wrote:
:
: > "Ryan Cousineau" <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote in message
: > news:rcousine-A77D24.23011222022010@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]...
: > :A bronze:
: > :
: > : http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=45218.html
: > :
: > : I guess because bronze is last winner, while silver is first loser.
: > :
: >
: >
: >
: > Dumbass -
: >
: > What's even better is making Canada our Bitch in men's hockey.
: >
: > On Jim Rome today, some Canadian wanker called up and said, "If you
didn't
: > have Miller you would have lost!"
:
: Dummer junge: if we didn't have Brodeur you would have lost.

Dumbass -

You Canadians are weak. That is a brutal excuse. Goaltending is half the
game. It's not our fault your goaltending sucks or that you would trust your
national honor to a descendent of France. Didn't WW2 teach you anything?

You lost by 2 goals. Take your beating like a man. Or a bitch. Take your
pick.

ilan

Feb 23, 2010, 3:04:29 PM2/23/10
> http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/02/22/evgeni-plushenkos-platinu_n_...

Good point. Next comes the Gold medal that was made by the Koreans
when their short track favorite was "robbed" by Apolo Anton Ohno in
2002. They made a replica and gave to him in Seoul as the "real"
winner.http://groups.google.com/group/rec.sport.skating.racing/
browse_frm/thread/5f4777878d725c8e/8d3c783e0644a9c6?hl=en&q=korean
+short+track+ilan#8d3c783e0644a9c6

That post makes me nostalgic for those days when I posted on
rec.skating and was harrassed for not being one of the regulars.

-ilan

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Feb 23, 2010, 5:12:35 PM2/23/10
On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 21:15:40 +0200, Donald Munro <no...@mailinator.com>
wrote:

>Next thing the Taliban are going to take out your curling team

An obvious attempt to curry favor and get removed from the terrorist
organization list.

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 23, 2010, 6:38:50 PM2/23/10
In article <hm1c0h$292$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"KurganGringioni" <soulinth...@gmail.com> wrote:

> "Ryan Cousineau" <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> : In article <hlvv2u$51r$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
> : "KurganGringioni" <soulinth...@gmail.com> wrote:
> :
> : > "Ryan Cousineau" <rcou...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> : > news:rcousine-A77D24.23011222022010@[74.223.185.199.nw.nuvox.net]...
> : > :A bronze:
> : > :
> : > : http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=45218.html
> : > :
> : > : I guess because bronze is last winner, while silver is first loser.
> : > :
> : >
> : >
> : >
> : > Dumbass -
> : >
> : > What's even better is making Canada our Bitch in men's hockey.
> : >
> : > On Jim Rome today, some Canadian wanker called up and said, "If you
> didn't
> : > have Miller you would have lost!"
> :
> : Dummer junge: if we didn't have Brodeur you would have lost.
>

> Dumbass -
>
> You Canadians are weak. That is a brutal excuse. Goaltending is half the
> game. It's not our fault your goaltending sucks or that you would trust your
> national honor to a descendent of France. Didn't WW2 teach you anything?
>
> You lost by 2 goals. Take your beating like a man. Or a bitch. Take your
> pick.

It is what it is. There's a new goalie in town. Revenge is a dish best
served in the Gold Medal game.

KurganGringioni

Feb 23, 2010, 6:48:25 PM2/23/10

: In article <hm1c0h$292$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

Dumbass -

That is a much better thing to say than:

"If you didn't have Miller you would have lost" or

"If we didn't have Brodeur you would have lost"

Make sure the team has the tubulars glued on properly to their skates.

Michael Press

Feb 23, 2010, 7:14:48 PM2/23/10
In article <dbm7o5hr9msqbuh0v...@4ax.com>,
cur...@the-md-russells.org wrote:

> On Tue, 23 Feb 2010 07:01:12 GMT, Ryan Cousineau <rcou...@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
> >A bronze:
> >
> >http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=45218.html
> >
> >I guess because bronze is last winner, while silver is first loser.
>
> Interesting, but not surprising. However, the last line made me
> regurgitate. She has to be, what, 29, 30?

All that time you had to mature? You know, throwing up,
looking at water buffalo from the wrong end?
She was wasting her life doing what she wanted,
and now she has it. Best of everything to her.
She is genuinely happy having achieved her goal.
Many aren't.

--
Captain Serious

K. Fred Gauss

Feb 23, 2010, 10:46:42 PM2/23/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> The Canadians have played some really dominant hockey EXCEPT for
> goaltending, so I'm quietly confident about their shot, despite the ugly
> backdoor route they now have to the gold medal game.

"Quietly confident", yet loud enough about it that you'll be entitled to
dance and sing neener-neener-neener when it happens.

I like it.

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 23, 2010, 11:16:05 PM2/23/10
In article <hm1pg9$et$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"KurganGringioni" <soulinth...@gmail.com> wrote:

Heh. But I didn't say that.

> "If we didn't have Brodeur you would have lost"

Okay, I said this.

> Make sure the team has the tubulars glued on properly to their skates.

We blew a goal through the net today. The team appears to have found
some form.

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 23, 2010, 11:16:34 PM2/23/10

KurganGringioni

Feb 23, 2010, 11:30:34 PM2/23/10

: In article <hm1pg9$et$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,

Dumbass -

Playing well is only half of it in a single elimation hockey tournament. The
other half is luck.

Definitely makes Olympic hockey interesting. There's not a lot of
predictability to it.

K. Fred Gauss

Feb 23, 2010, 11:46:50 PM2/23/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> In article <4b84...@news.x-privat.org>,
> "K. Fred Gauss" <Som...@Somewhere.You.Dont.Wanna.Be> wrote:
>
>> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>>
>>> The Canadians have played some really dominant hockey EXCEPT for
>>> goaltending, so I'm quietly confident about their shot, despite the ugly
>>> backdoor route they now have to the gold medal game.
>>>
>> "Quietly confident", yet loud enough about it that you'll be entitled to
>> dance and sing neener-neener-neener when it happens.
>>
>> I like it.
>
> http://www.behindthenethockey.com/2010/2/19/1318255/the-odds-of-canada-wi
> nning-the
>
> http://www2.macleans.ca/2010/02/23/i-tell-you-naught-for-your-comfort/
>
> Damn.

Yeah, but looking at first link convinces me that the odds of the US,
Russia or Sweden winning are not great either. Beating top notch
competition is hard for everyone, but someone's got to do it. The page
does illustrate why having to play that additional game is a big deal,
though.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Feb 24, 2010, 1:02:49 PM2/24/10
"Michael Press" <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

Hey, at least she wasn't like the ice skater who said, now that they won, it
was time to make babies.

There must be some guy-equivalent to all this female gushing. Maybe instead
of going to Disneyland, you can be in an Old Spice commercial? That would be
hot.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Henry

Feb 24, 2010, 2:26:49 PM2/24/10

a truly hearth warming story, the rise and rise of the Afghani cricket
team; gone up 4 divisions in world cricket. Canada do have some
cricket pedigree but Allah smiles on His Chose One's :))

Henry

Feb 24, 2010, 2:40:42 PM2/24/10
On Feb 23, 8:01 pm, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A bronze:
>
> http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=45218.html
>
> I guess because bronze is last winner, while silver is first loser.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau rcous...@gmail.comhttp://www.wiredcola.com/

> "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

Good point, well made :)
but, sometimes I have seen people very happy with 2nd; depends about
expectations. I don't think Lance was satisfied with 3rd last year.

Henry

Feb 24, 2010, 2:47:09 PM2/24/10
On Feb 23, 8:01 pm, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A bronze:
>
> http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=45218.html
>
> I guess because bronze is last winner, while silver is first loser.
>
> --
> Ryan Cousineau rcous...@gmail.comhttp://www.wiredcola.com/

> "In other newsgroups, they killfile trolls."
> "In rec.bicycles.racing, we coach them."

this one (sorry about munged URL)
http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-nordic-combined/schedule-and-results/team-4x5-km---4x5-km-relay_ncm490b01kP.html
team USA got the silver; I thought they were muppets are Nordic
combined. Result!

bjwe...@gmail.com

Feb 24, 2010, 3:33:11 PM2/24/10
On Feb 24, 12:47 pm, Henry <snogfest_hosebe...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> this one (sorry about munged URL)
> http://www.vancouver2010.com/olympic-nordic-combined/schedule-and-res...

> team USA got the silver; I thought they were muppets are Nordic
> combined. Result!

ENGLISH PLEASE.

Thanks,
Ronde Champ

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 24, 2010, 6:04:05 PM2/24/10
In article
<1c6e9bdb-ef6c-44f9...@u5g2000prd.googlegroups.com>,
Henry <snogfest_...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Canada has ex-pat Asian communities who have taken up the torch from
falling hands, effectively reviving the sport from the ex-pat Englishmen
who formerly were the backbone of whatever cricket in Canada was.

DirtRoadie

Feb 24, 2010, 10:58:58 PM2/24/10
On Feb 23, 12:01 am, Ryan Cousineau <rcous...@gmail.com> wrote:
> A bronze:
>
> http://www.ctvolympics.ca/news-centre/newsid=45218.html
>
> I guess because bronze is last winner, while silver is first loser.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wAzzCeSXeuY

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 25, 2010, 4:02:05 PM2/25/10
In article
<6177d275-55cc-43a6...@t17g2000prg.googlegroups.com>,
DirtRoadie <DirtR...@aol.com> wrote:

Mr. Seinfeld could submit that 90 seconds as a doctoral thesis on sports
psychology.

Robert Chung

Feb 26, 2010, 12:13:31 PM2/26/10
[Story about Canadian skier winning silver, snipped]

Having universal health care?

Ryan Cousineau

Feb 26, 2010, 10:38:38 PM2/26/10
In article <hm8vfu$sji$1...@news.eternal-september.org>,
"Robert Chung" <anonymou...@address.invalid> wrote:

> [Story about Canadian skier winning silver, snipped]
>
> Having universal health care?

It's overrated.

The experience of going to Olympic "houses" around town has been
surprisingly similar to some of my family's recent experiences with
universal health care.

For one thing, I've learned that I'm old and wealthy enough to totally,
100% be cool with paying for things, which palls the thrill of events
which are free but involve long lineups. I'll admit to being wealthier
than most, but I'm neither old nor wealthy by the standards of this
newsgroup.

Donald Munro

Feb 27, 2010, 4:47:03 AM2/27/10
Ryan Cousineau wrote:
> I'm neither old nor wealthy by the standards of this
> newsgroup.

We have standards ?

Kurgan Gringioni

Feb 27, 2010, 5:29:54 AM2/27/10

"Donald Munro" <no...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

> Ryan Cousineau wrote:
>> I'm neither old nor wealthy by the standards of this newsgroup.
>
> We have standards ?

Dumbass -

In order to be accepted here, you have to be a dumbass.

thanks,

Dumbass. presented by Gringioni.

cur...@the-md-russells.org

Feb 27, 2010, 2:06:22 PM2/27/10