Curious RadioShack Timetrial Warmup Ritual

John Dacey

Jul 6, 2011, 11:43:00 PM7/6/11
While watching the teevee coverage of the team timetrial, I noticed
the camera pan across a line of Radioshackians warming up on trainers
before their start. Looking closer it could be seen that Levi and two
or three other team members were wearing nose plugs. See the photos of
Leipheimer, Kloden and Paulinho festooned with nasal wadding at

http://cdn-community2.livestrong.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/12/5/4c4a7ae1-1d87-412b-956a-7ff89a4cbf3d.Full.jpg

http://cdn-community2.livestrong.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/7/12/179e844b-ba93-4a99-8cc2-b9db1228cdcb.Full.jpg

http://cdn-community2.livestrong.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/13/10/cd1a4871-f1a8-44af-9aee-804649201f68.Full.jpg

(photos found about 2/3 of the way down this page:
http://www.livestrong.com/teamradioshack/news_behind-lines-team-radioshack-readies-team-time-trial/)

What's up with the nostril tampons worn by Levi et al?

-------------------------------
John Dacey
Business Cycles, Miami, Florida
http://businesscycles.com
-------------------------------

andre...@aol.com

Jul 6, 2011, 11:53:33 PM7/6/11
On Jul 6, 9:43 pm, John Dacey <jda...@businesscycles.com> wrote:
> While watching the teevee coverage of the team timetrial, I noticed
> the camera pan across a line of Radioshackians warming up on trainers
> before their start. Looking closer it could be seen that Levi and two
> or three other team members were wearing nose plugs. See the photos of
> Leipheimer, Kloden and Paulinho festooned with nasal wadding at
>
> http://cdn-community2.livestrong.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/12/5...
>
> http://cdn-community2.livestrong.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/7/12...
>
> http://cdn-community2.livestrong.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/13/1...
>
> (photos found about 2/3 of the way down this page:http://www.livestrong.com/teamradioshack/news_behind-lines-team-radio...)

> What's up with the nostril tampons worn by Levi et al?
>
> -------------------------------
> John Dacey
> Business Cycles, Miami, Floridahttp://businesscycles.com
> -------------------------------

they are probably full of some drug. The tt position of Leipheimer in
the first pick is awesome.

thirty-six

Jul 7, 2011, 12:00:21 AM7/7/11
On Jul 7, 4:51 am, thirty-six <thirty-...@live.co.uk> wrote:

> On Jul 7, 4:33 am, John Dacey <jda...@businesscycles.com> wrote:
>

> > While watching the teevee coverage of the team timetrial, I noticed
> > the camera pan across a line of Radioshackians warming up on trainers
> > before their start. Looking closer it could be seen that Levi and two
> > or three other team members were wearing nose plugs. See the photos of
> > Leipheimer, Kloden and Paulinho festooned with nasal wadding at
>
> >http://cdn-community2.livestrong.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/12/5...
>
> >http://cdn-community2.livestrong.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/7/12...
>
> >http://cdn-community2.livestrong.com/ver1.0/Content/images/store/13/1...
>
> > (photos found about 2/3 of the way down this page:http://www.livestrong.com/teamradioshack/news_behind-lines-team-radio...)
>
> > What's up with the nostril tampons worn by Levi et al?
>
> > -------------------------------
> > John Dacey
> > Business Cycles, Miami, Floridahttp://businesscycles.com
> > -------------------------------
>
> Hypothetically;
> Can all be backed up by an innocent explanation, whereas if you saw
> them all jacking up?   Absorption through the nasal membrane is almost
> as fast an administrative route as injection.  Patches are another
> solution to the beady eyed photographer.  I assume that titration of
> patch administered aids has been erratic with riders forgetting to rub
> the patch at the appropriate times so leaving traces for detection
> after finishing.
>
> What else did you have in mind?

BTW I was not specifically considering so-called illegal ergogenic
aids, just that suspicions are always raised rightly or wrongly when a
professional athlete (particularly cyclists) prepares himself for his
engagement of work.

--D-y

Jul 7, 2011, 12:38:20 AM7/7/11
On Jul 6, 10:43 pm, John Dacey <jda...@businesscycles.com> wrote:
> While watching the teevee coverage of the team timetrial, I noticed
> the camera pan across a line of Radioshackians warming up on trainers
> before their start. Looking closer it could be seen that Levi and two
> or three other team members were wearing nose plugs. See the photos of
> Leipheimer, Kloden and Paulinho festooned with nasal wadding at
>
> (photos found about 2/3 of the way down this page:http://www.livestrong.com/teamradioshack/news_behind-lines-team-radio...)

> What's up with the nostril tampons worn by Levi et al?

Last-minute ersatz altitude training?

Vicks Vapo-Rub?

Furthermore, why the Breathe Right nasal strips on at the same time
the nostrils are plugged?

Ask Bobke?
--D-y

A. Dumas

Jul 7, 2011, 6:30:02 AM7/7/11
--D-y wrote:
> Vicks Vapo-Rub?

Yes. Eucalyptus oil to open up the airways. Meh.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eucalyptus_oil#Medicinal_and_antiseptic

andre...@aol.com

Jul 7, 2011, 8:42:11 AM7/7/11

Sort of like corporate CEOs, accountants, politicians and such?

Uncle Dave

Jul 7, 2011, 9:09:55 AM7/7/11

POTW.

UD

thirty-six

Jul 9, 2011, 2:30:37 PM7/9/11

Cocaine and diamorphine together? Could be. Better than sticking it
up their arses. It's a bit obvious if the remmnants of a gelatine
capsule fall out when they go for testing. Doing it this way means
the method of administration is both subtle and easily discarded.
Doses are easily titrated for effect without tracability. After all
they only really need the aids to get up to speed without losing a man
(it could be only the weakest is dosed). Once at speed the bodies's
endorphines have kicked in and mask the heroin. Not sure what happens
to the coke, I thought it was always detectable. Perhaps the Vicks
masks it. The whole team does get tested, does it not? Perhaps an
ejected man isn't counted in the testing. Anyone?