And the Tour is off to an interesting start

RicodJour

Jul 2, 2011, 11:59:32 AM7/2/11
No bullshit prologues and posing. A little spectator billiards, big
gaps opening up, and everyone had the shit beat out of them on the
first day.

Anyone have a link to the spectator that the Astana rider clipped? It
looked like a woman in yellow that was standing on the white line
looking the other way at the riders who had already passed and
clapping, then BAM! They'll probably show more of that in the
extended coverage, but it looked like she just zoomed backwards into
the ditch when she got hit.

I love July.

RicodJour

Jul 2, 2011, 12:09:15 PM7/2/11

Here's the video:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfWotphjMC0

The Astana rider moved to the right to the edge of the road, saw the
person, and instead of moving a bit to the left to avoid hitting the
spectator (there was enough room to move over), kind of leaned into
the hit.

I hate oblivious spectators. I also hate Astana. I'm going to have
to call this one a tie in the blame game.

Scott

Jul 2, 2011, 12:21:46 PM7/2/11

Too bad the rider was a whippet-like little road racer instead of a
trackie. A shoulder bump like that shouldn't have been a big deal at
all...

So, aside from the obvious bruising, how badly do you imagine that
spectator feels?

Zenon

Jul 2, 2011, 1:20:50 PM7/2/11
> spectator feels?- Hide quoted text -

.
.
.
What's up with Cancellara not being able to finish what he started?
Is he experiencing profound sedation? What a pussy! And how come
Cattle Evans sounds like Michael Jackson? The Gendarme Mod Squad
should be checking the BMC trash cans for Propofol ampoules with Sven
Schoutteten's name written all over it. Cattle should start smoking
so he can get that Marlboro smoker's voice. Otherwise, he'll have the
pussy voice for the rest of his life.
.
.
.

atriage

Jul 2, 2011, 2:04:59 PM7/2/11
On 02/07/2011 17:21, Scott wrote:
> On Jul 2, 10:09 am, RicodJour<ricodj...@aol.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 2, 11:59 am, RicodJour<ricodj...@aol.com> wrote:
>>
>>> No bullshit prologues and posing. A little spectator billiards, big
>>> gaps opening up, and everyone had the shit beat out of them on the
>>> first day.
>>
>>> Anyone have a link to the spectator that the Astana rider clipped? It
>>> looked like a woman in yellow that was standing on the white line
>>> looking the other way at the riders who had already passed and
>>> clapping, then BAM! They'll probably show more of that in the
>>> extended coverage, but it looked like she just zoomed backwards into
>>> the ditch when she got hit.
>>
>>> I love July.
>>
>> Here's the video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfWotphjMC0
>>
>> The Astana rider moved to the right to the edge of the road, saw the
>> person, and instead of moving a bit to the left to avoid hitting the
>> spectator (there was enough room to move over), kind of leaned into
>> the hit.
>>
>> I hate oblivious spectators. I also hate Astana. I'm going to have
>> to call this one a tie in the blame game.

> Too bad the rider was a whippet-like little road racer instead of a
> trackie.

Ideally a keirin racer built like Gregory Bauge, the stupid bitch would have
been catapulted into the trees and the peleton would never have known that
anything had happened at all.

Simply Fred

Jul 2, 2011, 2:52:52 PM7/2/11
RicodJour wrote:
> Anyone have a link to the spectator that the Astana rider clipped? It
> looked like a woman in yellow that was standing on the white line
> looking the other way at the riders who had already passed and
> clapping, then BAM!

Probably the same one who took out LANCE in 2003.

ilan

Jul 2, 2011, 3:10:40 PM7/2/11

The rider was at fault, since the spectator was not on the road. I
suspect that the Tour organisation will have words with the riders
about spectator safety being most important.

After the stage, Golbert explained that he had suspected the exact
moment where Cancellara would attack, in his words, he always does the
same thing. He further said that he knew Cancellara would let up when
he was caught, so he didn't go up to him too fast to let him get
cooked, and when he passed him, he saw thatnhe was already at his max.

I would like to know why Contador was not in the top 80 at the crash
point, and why he had no teammates finish in the same time as him,
there are 4 who are 50 seconds back.

It appears that relative to Contador, Andy Schleck is 2 minutes ahead
of where he was a yeat ago after the first day, there will be less TT
to come, and henlost by less than a minute last year. Looks good for
him.

Most bizarre for me, before the start, Cancellara repeated what I read
him say, that it would be different for him, his first Tour without an
ITT start. I'm sure he rode the 2008 Tour, where he was crucial in the
Hautacam stage for Sastre. Given Gilbert's remark, my respect for him
has taken amhit.

Funniest moment, when Voeckler was explaining the finish on a
previously recorded ride and said: "this is where everyone will takr a
breather, unfortunately when the peloton needs to catch its breath, so
do I."

My overall impression: stop these mass start beginning, nothing at all
happened until 15km to go and it was 4 hours of babbling by the
comentators.

-ilan

-ilan

Simply Fred

Jul 2, 2011, 3:25:05 PM7/2/11
ilan wrote:
> I would like to know why Contador was not in the top 80 at the crash
> point, and why he had no teammates finish in the same time as him,
> there are 4 who are 50 seconds back.

I think there was a 2nd crash in the chasing group.

ilan

Jul 2, 2011, 3:15:24 PM7/2/11

I forgot Most Annoying: 5 hours of Vendee coverage and not a single
mention of the greatest cyclist from there, Felicia Ballanger. No
wonder she fled to Polynesia.

-ilan

atriage

Jul 2, 2011, 4:53:49 PM7/2/11
On 02/07/2011 20:10, ilan wrote:
> On Jul 2, 5:59 pm, RicodJour<ricodj...@aol.com> wrote:
>> No bullshit prologues and posing. A little spectator billiards, big
>> gaps opening up, and everyone had the shit beat out of them on the
>> first day.
>>
>> Anyone have a link to the spectator that the Astana rider clipped? It
>> looked like a woman in yellow that was standing on the white line
>> looking the other way at the riders who had already passed and
>> clapping, then BAM! They'll probably show more of that in the
>> extended coverage, but it looked like she just zoomed backwards into
>> the ditch when she got hit.
>>
>> I love July.

> The rider was at fault, since the spectator was not on the road.

Huh? She was clearly on the surfaced part of the road, on the white line, anyone
with half a brain would know that in a passing bunch there would certainly be a
rider there.

thirty-six

Jul 2, 2011, 5:49:21 PM7/2/11

Bullshit, the rider was completely outside the line marking the edge
of the carriageway, he'd have come down with a broken edging. By law
he should have been inside that line, he is totally at fault.

RicodJour

Jul 2, 2011, 6:50:35 PM7/2/11
On Jul 2, 4:53 pm, atriage <atri...@notvalid.net> wrote:
> On 02/07/2011 20:10, ilan wrote:
> > On Jul 2, 5:59 pm, RicodJour<ricodj...@aol.com>  wrote:
>
> >> No bullshit prologues and posing.  A little spectator billiards, big
> >> gaps opening up, and everyone had the shit beat out of them on the
> >> first day.
>
> >> Anyone have a link to the spectator that the Astana rider clipped?  It
> >> looked like a woman in yellow that was standing on the white line
> >> looking the other way at the riders who had already passed and
> >> clapping, then BAM!  They'll probably show more of that in the
> >> extended coverage, but it looked like she just zoomed backwards into
> >> the ditch when she got hit.
>
> >> I love July.
>
> > The rider was at fault, since the spectator was not on the road.
>
> Huh? She was clearly on the surfaced part of the road, on the white line, anyone
> with half a brain would know that in a passing bunch there would certainly be a
> rider there.

Only problem was that she was looking at the passing bunch that had
already passed, not the passing bunch that she was about to take
out.

There's an old saying regarding traffic and collisions that I made up
that states 'Mass wins'. There is another one I'm thinking of making
up that states 'Speed wins'. As Sancho Panza said, "Whether the stone
hits the pitcher or the pitcher hits the stone, it's going to be bad
for the pitcher." I didn't make that one up.

I love July.

--D-y

Jul 2, 2011, 7:14:41 PM7/2/11

--D-y

Jul 2, 2011, 7:31:43 PM7/2/11
On Jul 2, 12:20 pm, Zenon <zenon_jask...@hotmail.com> wrote:

Whoops, a distracted "send".

Pussy pussy pussy.

Cancellara went for it and the hill was too steep to get away, so he
quit to save energy for tomorrow's TTT, where he will be vital to the
Tour hopes of those nice Schleck boys, who are still going to need all
the help they can get even after the gift they got today.

Meaning, Spartacus has a brain, not a pussy.

Evans could use a TUE but then he has done very well over the last few
years, learning to speak with his legs, as he did today. That's a WIP.
Maybe he'll ram it home this year; he certainly does seem to be in the
mood and maybe this will be a good month for him.

Pussy pussy pussy.
--D-y

ilan

Jul 2, 2011, 7:42:02 PM7/2/11

The 2nd crash in the main group held up the chasing group. But in any
case, Contador should be surrounded by his teammates.

-ilan

Ben Trovato

Jul 2, 2011, 8:05:06 PM7/2/11

When Iglinsky tried to slither around the spectator - who bears full
responsibility for the incident on account of general witlessness - he
bounced off her into the overlapping front wheel of the rider behind
him on the left - the reason he couldn't just move left in the first
place. I suppose you could blame him if you always see everything
three riders ahead of you in the pack.

Frederick the Great

Jul 2, 2011, 8:09:38 PM7/2/11
In article
<29e2210a-2d0f-4333...@x1g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
Scott <hendric...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 2, 10:09 am, RicodJour <ricodj...@aol.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 2, 11:59 am, RicodJour <ricodj...@aol.com> wrote:
> >
> > > No bullshit prologues and posing.  A little spectator billiards, big
> > > gaps opening up, and everyone had the shit beat out of them on the
> > > first day.
> >
> > > Anyone have a link to the spectator that the Astana rider clipped?  It
> > > looked like a woman in yellow that was standing on the white line
> > > looking the other way at the riders who had already passed and
> > > clapping, then BAM!  They'll probably show more of that in the
> > > extended coverage, but it looked like she just zoomed backwards into
> > > the ditch when she got hit.
> >
> > > I love July.
> >
> > Here's the video:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfWotphjMC0
> >
> > The Astana rider moved to the right to the edge of the road, saw the
> > person, and instead of moving a bit to the left to avoid hitting the
> > spectator (there was enough room to move over), kind of leaned into
> > the hit.
> >
> > I hate oblivious spectators.  I also hate Astana.  I'm going to have
> > to call this one a tie in the blame game.
>

> Too bad the rider was a whippet-like little road racer instead of a
> trackie. A shoulder bump like that shouldn't have been a big deal at
> all...

The Astana rider rode straight across the road, the moron.
I clipped a pedestrian once and kept on straight.
It's not that difficult.

> So, aside from the obvious bruising, how badly do you imagine that
> spectator feels?

Who knows? Could be not badly enough.

--
Old Fritz

Brad Anders

Jul 2, 2011, 8:37:45 PM7/2/11
Pretty good stuff. Bike racing 101 - shit happens, so stay up front.

MagillaGorilla

Jul 2, 2011, 8:49:28 PM7/2/11
RicodJour wrote:

I am all giddy about Clentador losing 1:20 to Bird Beak and the two
baldies on Radio Shack. No need for Evans to cry like that either - it's
not like someone tried to grab his Credit Lyonnois stuffie.

Phillippe Gilbert won nothing today.

Magilla

MagillaGorilla

Jul 2, 2011, 8:51:29 PM7/2/11
RicodJour wrote:

I love it when there's absolute mayhem in the sport regardless of who or
what caused it. Between that crash and the pending Lance doping case
that's gonna make the OJ Simpson case look like traffic court, I don't even
need to download any porn this month.

Magilla

MagillaGorilla

Jul 2, 2011, 8:53:43 PM7/2/11
Zenon wrote:

Evans is a cryptorchid and he's got a slit in between his legs.

Magilla

MagillaGorilla

Jul 2, 2011, 8:55:56 PM7/2/11
--D-y wrote:

Oh yeah, Canceled Check decided to pack it in about 200 meters from the finish.
I'm sure he saved tons of energy by doing that. I'll tell you
something...Gilbert definitely got his doping program dialed in....he's gonna be
tough to beat in one day races.

Magilla

Scott

Jul 2, 2011, 9:11:45 PM7/2/11

What law would that be?

billyroll

Jul 2, 2011, 9:12:30 PM7/2/11

Why aren't we talking about the fact that Phil called Yohann Gène a
"colored" rider?

Ben Trovato

Jul 2, 2011, 9:21:11 PM7/2/11

Same reason we're not discussing the Eurosport commentator's peculiar
understanding of the numeration of French departments.

RicodJour

Jul 2, 2011, 10:04:01 PM7/2/11
On Jul 2, 6:50 pm, RicodJour <ricodj...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 4:53 pm, atriage <atri...@notvalid.net> wrote:

> > > The rider was at fault, since the spectator was not on the road.
>
> > Huh? She was clearly on the surfaced part of the road, on the white line, anyone
> > with half a brain would know that in a passing bunch there would certainly be a
> > rider there.
>
> Only problem was that she was looking at the passing bunch that had
> already passed, not the passing bunch that she was about to take
> out.

I think I stand corrected - by me. Watching the replay there's a guy
in a yellow shirt who works his way through the wreckage to help
somebody. Considering there was only one person spectating wearing a
bright yellow shirt, I'm a-guessing that he's the one that was the
boob (not boobs) that started the whole chain reaction, and he was
feeling like he should do something to help. Yeah, like next time
stay out of the fookin' way! Sheesh.

MagillaGorilla

Jul 2, 2011, 10:21:19 PM7/2/11
billyroll wrote:

> Why aren't we talking about the fact that Phil called Yohann G�ne a
> "colored" rider?

That's the type of stuff that commentators get fired over.

Magilla

RicodJour

Jul 2, 2011, 11:09:01 PM7/2/11
On Jul 2, 10:21 pm, MagillaGorilla <magi...@sandiegozoo.com> wrote:

> billyroll wrote:
>
> > Why aren't we talking about the fact that Phil called Yohann G ne a
> > "colored" rider?
>
> That's the type of stuff that commentators get fired over.

Yeah, thanks for being the politcally correct patrol officer for the
group. You're doing a bang up job.

Phil is from a different generation, and he's not from the US, so
there's no 'law' that he has to use the word Negro, black or Afro-
American, Afro-Frenchman or any other stupid 'correct' way to indicate
that he's not a racist.

Generally speaking it's not wise to look for insult where none was
intended. Dumbass.

--D-y

Jul 3, 2011, 12:01:33 AM7/3/11
On Jul 2, 7:55 pm, MagillaGorilla <magi...@sandiegozoo.com> wrote:

> Oh yeah, Canceled Check decided to pack it in about 200 meters from the finish.
> I'm sure he saved tons of energy by doing that.

What would you have done? Blown your wad for another 2nd place this
year, with the TTT tomorrow and those nice-but-scrawny Schleck boys to
push across the finish line?
Spartacus, from what I could see on Versus, just kinda poked it one
more time once Gilbert went by, then moved over and let everyone by,
finishing 18th I think it was.
I mean, we didn't see him come around that corner where he went wide
left even after riders who were gapped went round.

Maybe the Gruber stopped assisting. Is that possible in your universe?
--D-y

MagillaGorilla

Jul 3, 2011, 1:24:34 AM7/3/11

RicodJour wrote:

Phil got a little talking to by the producer at Versus, trust me.
Offensiveness is defined by the audience (U.S.) not the commentator.

Magilla

RobertH

Jul 3, 2011, 2:32:37 AM7/3/11

That was a different individual I think. Pretty sure the obstructor
was on the far right side of the screen in that shot, being attended
to by a small crowd of very concerned-looking persons.

atriage

Jul 3, 2011, 3:37:59 AM7/3/11
> he should have been inside that line...

You can only mean French traffic laws...so riders who pass on the *wrong* side
of a traffic island are breaking the law huh?..you complete and utter fuckwit.

Simply Fred

Jul 3, 2011, 6:34:17 AM7/3/11
thirty-six wrote:
> Bullshit, the rider was completely outside the line marking the edge
> of the carriageway, he'd have come down with a broken edging. By law
> he should have been inside that line, he is totally at fault.

Is this a new UCI law ? They didn't seem to be enforcing it at
Paris-Roubaix.

ilan

Jul 3, 2011, 7:17:15 AM7/3/11

Spectators weren't hit by riders at Paris-Roubaix.

-ilan

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jul 3, 2011, 7:48:28 AM7/3/11

Surely, at some point, a spectator has been hit by a
rider at Paris Roubaix, and if not, there's cyclocross:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=salfFYuinwY

Relevant moment is 1 minute in, thus:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=salfFYuinwY#t=0m55s

Your point that the spectator was not in the road would
be relevant if riders and spectators were idealized
points with zero dimensionality, thus it is legitimate
in a mathematical model of the Tour de France.

When reality fails to correspond to the model, clearly
the reality must be revised.

Fredmaster Ben

Simply Fred

Jul 3, 2011, 8:20:19 AM7/3/11
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> Your point that the spectator was not in the road would
> be relevant if riders and spectators were idealized
> points with zero dimensionality, thus it is legitimate
> in a mathematical model of the Tour de France.
>
> When reality fails to correspond to the model, clearly
> the reality must be revised.

Fatty master spectators probably wouldn't mind if their fat existed in
invisible folded dimensions.

ilan

Jul 3, 2011, 9:31:21 AM7/3/11

Let's stop worrying about it by having the first stage held in Africa:

"Figures vary from source to source as organisers rarely record or
report on African spectators and innocent bystanders deaths,
therefore, no official figures are available and the names of the
victims are usually not given." http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Dakar_Rally_fatal_accidents

-ilan

RicodJour

Jul 3, 2011, 11:05:55 AM7/3/11

Okay - I stand corrected about my correction. There were two people
wearing yellow shirts and black long pants, and I did see the person
who was hit standing with people standing around him/her. I wonder if
the two people dressed alike were together - like those stupid couples
that wear matching outfits. Sheesh.

If you look just before the hit you can see that the person in yellow
is standing right next to a person in orange, and when the person in
yellow was looking the wrong way the person in orange saw what was
coming and stepped back. Nice way to sacrifice someone standing next
to you!

Mike Jacoubowsky

Jul 3, 2011, 11:31:00 AM7/3/11
"Simply Fred" <no...@mailinator.com> wrote in message

Mike Jacoubowsky likes this!

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

MagillaGorilla

Jul 3, 2011, 12:19:14 PM7/3/11
--D-y wrote:

Only faggots call Canceled Check "Spartacus."

Magilla

--D-y

Jul 3, 2011, 12:56:58 PM7/3/11

When all else fails...

Spartacus did a fine job as ramrod today, and those nice-but-scrawny
Schleck boys hung on for dear life and gained another 25 seconds on
Cantadore, putting Alberto VO5 down to 1:38 behind. Far better than
mere "survival", and if luck of the draw (starting order) played a
part, well, c'est Le Tour, non?

A day to Wear the Sandals. Hail, Fabian!

Tomorrow: a flat stage, favoring the sprinters. Maybe Fabian can make
a late move stick on a parcours that more suits his burly profile?

My goodness, did you see how slender Fabian is here at the beginning
of the Tour, and wasn't that white skin suit a total 'wow'? What a
hunk of man!
--D-y

atriage

Jul 3, 2011, 1:03:08 PM7/3/11
On 03/07/2011 17:56, --D-y wrote:
> On Jul 3, 11:19 am, MagillaGorilla<magi...@sandiegozoo.com> wrote:
>> --D-y wrote:

>>> What would you have done? Blown your wad for another 2nd place this
>>> year, with the TTT tomorrow and those nice-but-scrawny Schleck....

Yeah that Aminoimidazole carboxamide ribonucleotide certainly does the trick,
not that I'm insinuating anything of course.

thirty-six

Jul 3, 2011, 2:12:31 PM7/3/11
On Jul 3, 2:11 am, Scott <hendricks_sc...@hotmail.com> wrote:

> What law would that be?

What's your prob, the line marks the bounds of the carriageway.
Carriages including bicycles being ridden are to stay within those
bounds.

thirty-six

Jul 3, 2011, 2:14:48 PM7/3/11
On Jul 3, 8:37 am, atriage <atri...@notvalid.net> wrote:

> You can only mean French traffic laws...so riders who pass on the *wrong* side
> of a traffic island are breaking the law huh?..you complete and utter fuckwit.

Red herring. Makes no difference to a closed road. The riders are
still required to stay within the bounds of the road when they are
riding.

atriage

Jul 3, 2011, 2:36:39 PM7/3/11

RicodJour

Jul 3, 2011, 2:39:30 PM7/3/11

I hate herring. Numerous riders violate roadway boundaries on a daily
basis. Riding over road furniture, etc., etc. Never saw one get
disqualified or ticketed for it. Pulling a Rosie Ruiz is a different
story.

Scott

Jul 3, 2011, 4:33:42 PM7/3/11

No, they're not. They're often cutting corners, or riding off the
edge of the road, or, egads, sometimes up on the sidewalks.

Face it, 36, your kung fu is no good.

RicodJour

Jul 3, 2011, 4:59:03 PM7/3/11

Since you brought up David Carradine and cheesy movies...it seems like
a good time to do a remake of Death Race 2000, but use bicycles to
kill the people instead of cars. If we combined that with American
Flyers, and Kevin Costner really dies, I don't think anyone would want
to miss that movie. Throw in Alexandra Paul's tits and it's a perfect
date movie.

Phil H

Jul 3, 2011, 5:11:09 PM7/3/11
> Magilla- Hide quoted text -

That may be so but I fail to see any distinction between colored or
black.
Phil H

Mark J.

Jul 3, 2011, 5:11:59 PM7/3/11

Treavor / thirty-six has a lot of experience revising reality on r.b.tech.

Mark J.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jul 3, 2011, 5:36:21 PM7/3/11

In this case, I imagine that Trevor's experience is
with British time trials officiated by some anorak
who really does disqualify riders for riding on the
road side of the fog line, or the shoulder side of the
fog line, or God forbid, riding on the line itself.

On the Continent they're a bunch of barbarians that
have no respect for the rule of law. They even tolerate
mass start racing and eat vegetables without boiling
them to death first.

Fredmaster Ben

William Fred

Jul 3, 2011, 5:58:02 PM7/3/11
RicodJour <rico...@aol.com> wrote in

<snip>

I suffer through the doldrums that are the cyclocross season just to be
able to read threads like this.

Thank you 36, keep it up.

I love July in rbr. Love love love the month.

--
Bill Fred

Jimmy July

Jul 3, 2011, 6:28:59 PM7/3/11

I am not personally offended either. Hell, I even thought it was
humorous when Howard Cosell called Alvin Garret a "little monkey".

The fact that I'm not personally offended doesn't obviate the fact that
tens of millions of people would be. Versus needs to ask him to knock
that shit off.

RicodJour

Jul 3, 2011, 7:12:15 PM7/3/11
On Jul 3, 6:28 pm, Jimmy July <F...@burger.com> wrote:
> On 7/3/2011 2:11 PM, Phil H wrote:

> >> Phil got a little talking to by the producer at Versus, trust me.
> >> Offensiveness is defined by the audience (U.S.) not the commentator.
>
> > That may be so but I fail to see any distinction between colored or
> > black.
>
> I am not personally offended either. Hell, I even thought it was
> humorous when Howard Cosell called Alvin Garret a "little monkey".
>
> The fact that I'm not personally offended doesn't obviate the fact that
> tens of millions of people would be. Versus needs to ask him to knock
> that shit off.

Why is it that colorful language is bad? Why is salty language bad
when a salt bagel with cream cheese is so very good?

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jul 3, 2011, 7:00:45 PM7/3/11
On Jul 3, 11:11 pm, Phil H <pholma...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Jul 2, 10:24 pm, MagillaGorilla <magi...@sandiegozoo.com> wrote:
> > RicodJour wrote:

> > > Yeah, thanks for being the politcally correct patrol officer for the
> > > group.  You're doing a bang up job.
>
> > > Phil is from a different generation, and he's not from the US, so
> > > there's no 'law' that he has to use the word Negro, black or Afro-
> > > American, Afro-Frenchman or any other stupid 'correct' way to indicate
> > > that he's not a racist.
>
> > > Generally speaking it's not wise to look for insult where none was
> > > intended.  Dumbass.

> > Phil got a little talking to by the producer at Versus, trust me.
> > Offensiveness is defined by the audience (U.S.) not the commentator.
>
> > Magilla
>
> That may be so but I fail to see any distinction between colored or
> black.
> Phil H

Well, probably nobody has ever called you one as an insult.
If they had you might hear the distinction.

I remember being surprised to hear someone (a school
bus driver) call a kid "colored" in the mid-70s, because it
was not normal by then, and nobody would have said that
in the school itself, for example. Phil should have had this
shit figured out by now.

Imagine the shitstorm if a football or baseball announcer
used the word "colored." Being a senile Brit is not an excuse.

Fredmaster Ben

Frederick the Great

Jul 3, 2011, 7:45:28 PM7/3/11

Phil H

Jul 3, 2011, 8:09:27 PM7/3/11

Nice, you should practice what you preach. In Britain, the reference
to "colored" wasn't used as a derogatory term. There were plenty of
others that were, but colored wasn't one of them. Refering to someone
as black wasn't really acceptable there either. This must be something
to do with the US's different path of evolving PC with regard to races
that were once considered by the US to be sub-species. It's nice to
see that we in the US have finally got our shit together.
Phil H

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jul 3, 2011, 8:34:10 PM7/3/11

Dumbass,

You said you fail to see the difference between
"colored" and "black."

In the US there's a distinction. Phil is an announcer
on a show that is broadcast in the US. You live in the
US. Learn the fucking distinction.

If you object to my calling a public figure a senile Brit,
that's fine. "Brit" is certainly mildly offensive. Not as
fucking offensive as the phrase "colored." If you can't
understand the difference I don't think I'm going to be
able to explain it to you.

This isn't about political correctness. This is about
real distinctions between words that have bad associations
based on long ugly histories. For starters, in the US,
segregated facilities were labeled "white" and "colored,"
not "white" and "black."

Fredmaster Ben

RicodJour

Jul 3, 2011, 9:01:23 PM7/3/11

Which is all fine and dandy, but as I said earlier, don't look for
insult where none was intended. Unless, of course, you believe that
Phil was intentionally being insulting.

thirty-six

Jul 3, 2011, 9:49:10 PM7/3/11
On Jul 3, 10:58 pm, William Fred <gcn...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> RicodJour <ricodj...@aol.com> wrote innews:1fabddce-f36c-4f8c...@e35g2000yqc.googlegroups.com:
>
> <snip>
>
> I suffer through the doldrums that are the cyclocross season just to be
> able to read threads like this.
>
> Thank you 36, keep it up.
>
> I love July in rbr.  Love love love the month.
>
> --
> Bill Fred

You know, I might just watch the tele' soon.

thirty-six

Jul 3, 2011, 9:58:03 PM7/3/11

Ah bollocks, I made enpough starts, and a fwe finishes to know not to
ride into the viewers. If you are going to hit a bystander, hit the
bugger full on, or punch the side they are on, elsewise they twist the
bars and bring you down.

> On the Continent they're a bunch of barbarians that
> have no respect for the rule of law.  They even tolerate
> mass start racing and eat vegetables without boiling
> them to death first.

Water in the pot is poison. Why else do you think the French dilute it
with wine at the table?

thirty-six

Jul 3, 2011, 9:50:22 PM7/3/11

R U of Chinease origin?

Frederick the Great

Jul 3, 2011, 11:24:57 PM7/3/11
In article
<554cae2b-61a7-47be...@b2g2000vbo.googlegroups.com>,

Fredmaster of Brainerd <bjwe...@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Jul 4, 2:09 am, Phil H <pholma...@gmail.com> wrote:

> > > Well, probably nobody has ever called you one as an insult.
> > > If they had you might hear the distinction.
> >
> > > I remember being surprised to hear someone (a school
> > > bus driver) call a kid "colored" in the mid-70s, because it
> > > was not normal by then, and nobody would have said that
> > > in the school itself, for example.  Phil should have had this
> > > shit figured out by now.
> >
> > > Imagine the shitstorm if a football or baseball announcer
> > > used the word "colored."  Being a senile Brit is not an excuse.
> >

> > Nice, you should practice what you preach. In Britain, the reference
> > to "colored" wasn't used as a derogatory term. There were plenty of
> > others that were, but colored wasn't one of them. Refering to someone
> > as black wasn't really acceptable there either. This must be something
> > to do with the US's different path of evolving PC with regard to races
> > that were once considered by the US to be sub-species. It's nice to
> > see that we in the US have finally got our shit together.
> > Phil H
>
> Dumbass,
>
> You said you fail to see the difference between
> "colored" and "black."
>
> In the US there's a distinction. Phil is an announcer
> on a show that is broadcast in the US. You live in the
> US. Learn the fucking distinction.
>
> If you object to my calling a public figure a senile Brit,
> that's fine. "Brit" is certainly mildly offensive. Not as
> fucking offensive as the phrase "colored." If you can't
> understand the difference I don't think I'm going to be
> able to explain it to you.
>
> This isn't about political correctness. This is about
> real distinctions between words that have bad associations
> based on long ugly histories. For starters, in the US,
> segregated facilities were labeled "white" and "colored,"
> not "white" and "black."

This discussion proves that you cannot pick up a turd
by the clean end.

--
Old Fritz

thirty-six

Jul 4, 2011, 4:08:06 AM7/4/11

Black?

http://youtu.be/FuwVxt_-ODg

or crow?

Simply Fred

Jul 4, 2011, 2:44:00 AM7/4/11
thirty-six wrote:
> Red herring. Makes no difference to a closed road. The riders are
> still required to stay within the bounds of the road when they are
> riding.

I assume your pseudonym is derived from your IQ.

thirty-six

Jul 4, 2011, 8:10:31 PM7/4/11

That is to fool the simple.

Anton Berlin

Jul 4, 2011, 9:48:14 PM7/4/11

So Armstrong cheated when he circumvented the race course ?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtZhG2kWVLY

Not to mention obstructing the other riders with his cocksucking bike
placement into the middle of the road.

thirty-six

Jul 4, 2011, 9:52:19 PM7/4/11
On Jul 5, 2:48 am, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> On Jul 3, 1:14 pm, thirty-six <thirty-...@live.co.uk> wrote:
>
> > On Jul 3, 8:37 am, atriage <atri...@notvalid.net> wrote:
>
> > > You can only mean French traffic laws...so riders who pass on the *wrong* side
> > > of a traffic island are breaking the law huh?..you complete and utter fuckwit.
>
> >  Red herring.  Makes no difference to a closed road.  The riders are
> > still required to stay within the bounds of the road when they are
> > riding.
>
> So Armstrong cheated

I see you're catching on.

Scott

Jul 4, 2011, 9:51:08 PM7/4/11

No, they're not.

Hell, I once saw coverage of a race where a guy cut across a big
field, screaming down a hill, dismounting to jump a ditch, then
rejoining the race as it caught up to him. Aside from remarking about
his incredible bike handling skills and his luck at not puncturing a
tire, not much was said about it and he surely wasn't penalized for
it. Maybe you saw that coverage, too?

Oh, wait... I just figured it out. You're talking about RIDING,
everyone else is talking about racing.

Simply Fred

Jul 5, 2011, 5:05:50 AM7/5/11
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:
> In this case, I imagine that Trevor's experience is
> with British time trials officiated by some anorak
> who really does disqualify riders for riding on the
> road side of the fog line, or the shoulder side of the
> fog line, or God forbid, riding on the line itself.
>
> On the Continent they're a bunch of barbarians that
> have no respect for the rule of law. They even tolerate
> mass start racing and eat vegetables without boiling
> them to death first.

And they don't warm their beer before drinking it either. Even the
colonials plebs in Canada and Australia aren't that barbaric.