Serious but pointed question.

Michael Press

Jul 20, 2010, 3:49:00 PM7/20/10

You are sprinting for the City Limits sign and your
opponent misses a shift. What do you do?

--
Michael Press

Revtom

Jul 20, 2010, 4:01:54 PM7/20/10

In a club ride, you could snicker all the way to the sign, but buy
your opponent a beer. The stakes are much lower.

--D-y

Jul 20, 2010, 4:11:09 PM7/20/10
On Jul 20, 2:49 pm, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:

Depends.
--D-y

B. Lafferty

Jul 20, 2010, 4:16:58 PM7/20/10

Cross his wheel and take him out just to make sure he isn't going to
beat you. Then offer to drive him to a Doc in the Box.

A. Dumas

Jul 20, 2010, 4:36:48 PM7/20/10
--D-y wrote:

> On Jul 20, 2:49 pm, Michael Press wrote:
>> You are sprinting for the City Limits sign and your
>> opponent misses a shift. What do you do?
>
> Depends.

I'm not *that* old.

--D-y

Jul 20, 2010, 5:28:36 PM7/20/10

I am.

So, there's this old guy living in the old folks' home, and one day a
younger relative comes to visit him...
--D-y

Davey Crockett

Jul 20, 2010, 5:30:54 PM7/20/10
Michael Press a écrit profondement:

| You are sprinting for the City Limits sign and your
| opponent misses a shift. What do you do?

Tell him to dump that cheap throwaway Japanese junk he's using and get
some quality Italian stuff

--
Which bank O'Bongo? Goldman-Sachs?
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ZvWilRn0L8

Anton Berlin

Jul 20, 2010, 5:43:02 PM7/20/10

The difference is your pal probably takes care of his own bike and
deserves to suffer for being a lousy mechanic.

In the Schleck case - a lousy mechanic has made the difference in what
someone else worked years for. Just a few screw turns should cost
someone a TdF win.

It's not just the 31 seconds that was lost here , maybe the time AS
would have put on AC. Maybe 30+ the other way. ???

LawBoy01

Jul 20, 2010, 6:33:32 PM7/20/10

Correct me if I'm wrong, Michael, but it seems to be that Schlepp lost
the stage on the descent. Who cares, anyway? It's a stupid ass
"unwritten" rule to wait. And you should never have to do that when
it matters the most. It wasn't a pure opportunist moment for
Contador. How pissed would you be if you were in a race and some dick
in a blue polo shirt pulled up in a car and neutralized the race?

Anton Berlin

Jul 20, 2010, 6:42:29 PM7/20/10

Even courts in Texas have unwritten traditions Lawboy and I'll bet you
abide by them.. I think the neutralizing of a race is within the
rules when the course dictates it (even when it was their bad choice
in the 1st place and failure to not foresee the hazard) When 1 guy
crashes its a mistake - when half the peloton does it's the organizers
mistake.

Michael Press

Jul 20, 2010, 7:14:56 PM7/20/10
In article
<be7d4da1-993c-4e85...@g19g2000yqc.googlegroups.com>,
LawBoy01 <phi...@pwm-law.com> wrote:

> On Jul 20, 4:43 pm, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> > On Jul 20, 2:49 pm, Michael Press <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote:
> >
> > > You are sprinting for the City Limits sign and your
> > > opponent misses a shift. What do you do?
> >

> > The difference is your pal probably takes care of his own bike and
> > deserves to suffer for being a lousy mechanic.
> >
> > In the Schleck case - a lousy mechanic has made the difference in what
> > someone else worked years for.  Just a few screw turns should cost
> > someone a TdF win.
> >
> > It's not just the 31 seconds that was lost here , maybe the time AS
> > would have put on AC.  Maybe 30+ the other way.  ???
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong, Michael, but it seems to be that Schlepp lost
> the stage on the descent.

I do not know that or otherwise.
He lost some time on the ascent.

> Who cares, anyway? It's a stupid ass
> "unwritten" rule to wait.

I agree that when guys are attacking each other there
is no such unwritten rule. When the peloton is rolling
along together just getting from point A to point B the
race is in some sense neutralized. The racers respect a
nature break or mechanical or fall of a contender. When
they are clawing there way up a slope trying each other
out kilometer after kilometer, then they had crossed a
starting line and the race is on.

> And you should never have to do that when
> it matters the most. It wasn't a pure opportunist moment for
> Contador. How pissed would you be if you were in a race and some dick
> in a blue polo shirt pulled up in a car and neutralized the race?

Enough to have to suppress urges to neutralize the officious bastard.

--
Michael Press

Plano Dude

Jul 20, 2010, 10:38:24 PM7/20/10
On Jul 20, 3:36 pm, "A. Dumas" <alexan...@dumas.fr> wrote:

He wrote misses a shift, not misses a shit.

Plano Dude

Jul 20, 2010, 10:46:19 PM7/20/10
On Jul 20, 4:43 pm, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:

Speculation is that Schleck's funky non-SRAM German jockey wheel/
derailleur setup caused chain suck

Anton Berlin

Jul 21, 2010, 9:31:05 AM7/21/10

It's a mechanical either way and tradition and sportsmanship dictate
you don't take advantage. Even doper Lance Armstrong had this much
class.

thirty-six

Jul 21, 2010, 9:45:28 AM7/21/10

Laugh at him for not using a half step setup.

NoDannyNo

Jul 21, 2010, 10:11:40 AM7/21/10

Laud the virtues of my 55 x 12 fixed-gear....the way bikes were meant
to be ridden.

--D-y

Jul 21, 2010, 10:38:29 AM7/21/10

Passage du Glois. 99?
(Again, Armstrong was not the only "villain", just sayin', just the
highest-placed one <g>)
--D-y

Amit Ghosh

Jul 21, 2010, 12:30:33 PM7/21/10
On Jul 21, 9:31 am, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's a mechanical either way and tradition and sportsmanship dictate
> you don't take advantage.  Even doper Lance Armstrong had this much
> class.

dumbass,

in almost every race i've done when we hit the climb someone drops
their chain, and no one waits for them.

normally if someone drops their chain or experiences chainsuck they
can use the derailleur to get it back on without getting off the bike,
but schleck was unlucky and it jammed, still it should have cost him
10 secs, not almost 40.

DirtRoadie

Jul 21, 2010, 12:59:44 PM7/21/10

Downhill only?

DirtRoadie

Jul 21, 2010, 1:01:48 PM7/21/10
On Jul 21, 8:38 am, --D-y <dustoyev...@mac.com> wrote:

> Passage du Glois. 99?
> (Again, Armstrong was not the only "villain", just sayin', just the
> highest-placed one <g>)

Lance didn't wait for Beloki in 2003 either.
The concept of fair play is laudable but not necessarily easy to apply
consistently, especially when it is unwritten.
KF

Davey Crockett

Jul 21, 2010, 1:24:21 PM7/21/10
DirtRoadie a écrit profondement:

| Lance didn't wait for Beloki in 2003 either.
| The concept of fair play is laudable but not necessarily easy to apply
| consistently, especially when it is unwritten.

But the rest of them slowed for the Super Wanker to get back on if I
remember rightly after he cyclo-crossed it fot a while..

Davey Crockett

Jul 21, 2010, 1:23:20 PM7/21/10
DirtRoadie a écrit profondement:

| Lance didn't wait for Beloki in 2003 either.
| The concept of fair play is laudable but not necessarily easy to apply
| consistently, especially when it is unwritten.

But the rest of them slowed for the Super Wanker to get back on if I

DirtRoadie

Jul 21, 2010, 1:40:37 PM7/21/10
On Jul 21, 11:24 am, Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:
> DirtRoadie a écrit profondement:
> | Lance didn't wait for Beloki in 2003 either.
> | The concept of fair play is laudable but not necessarily easy to apply
> | consistently, especially when it is unwritten.
>
> But the rest of them slowed for the Super Wanker to get back on if I
> remember rightly after he cyclo-crossed it fot a while..

I don't see that. Lance's shortcut put him back on the road and
remounting just as the followers arrived.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtZhG2kWVLY

There's no suggestion that anyone slowed.

DR

Choppy Warburton

Jul 21, 2010, 2:20:44 PM7/21/10
On Jul 21, 12:40 pm, DirtRoadie <DirtRoa...@aol.com> wrote:
> On Jul 21, 11:24 am, Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:
>
> > DirtRoadie a écrit profondement:
> > | Lance didn't wait for Beloki in 2003 either.
> > | The concept of fair play is laudable but not necessarily easy to apply
> > | consistently, especially when it is unwritten.
>
> > But the rest of them slowed for the Super Wanker to get back on if I
> > remember rightly after he cyclo-crossed it fot a while..
>
> I don't see that. Lance's shortcut put him back on the road and
> remounting just as the followers arrived.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtZhG2kWVLY

> There's no suggestion that anyone slowed.
>
> DR

Lance used his bike and position on the road to slow the other riders
down. He should have been penalized for circumventing the race route
and for hindering other riders.

NoDannyNo

Jul 21, 2010, 2:44:10 PM7/21/10

Nah...double Gruber setup. You should see their faces when I cruise
past.

Fred Flintstein

Jul 21, 2010, 2:55:12 PM7/21/10

Does Jeff Novitsky know this? You should email him!

Fred Flintstein

Frederick the Great

Jul 21, 2010, 4:01:11 PM7/21/10
In article
<7b2a5711-028e-4e3c...@i31g2000yqm.googlegroups.com>,
Choppy Warburton <choppyw...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> On Jul 21, 12:40 pm, DirtRoadie <DirtRoa...@aol.com> wrote:

> > > But the rest of them slowed for the Super Wanker to get back on if I
> > > remember rightly after he cyclo-crossed it fot a while..
> >
> > I don't see that. Lance's shortcut put him back on the road and
> > remounting just as the followers arrived.http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RtZhG2kWVLY
> >
> > There's no suggestion that anyone slowed.
>

> Lance used his bike and position on the road to slow the other riders
> down. He should have been penalized for circumventing the race route
> and for hindering other riders.

I think he should have run over Beloki, rather than
circumvent the race route. Then he would have crashed
and everybody would have to wait for him. It would have
been the sportsmanlike thing to do.

--
Old Fritz

Betty

Jul 21, 2010, 4:29:15 PM7/21/10
Plano Dude wrote:
> Speculation is that Schleck's funky non-SRAM German jockey wheel/
> derailleur setup caused chain suck

Blame it on the boche.

LawBoy01

Jul 21, 2010, 5:00:15 PM7/21/10
On Jul 20, 5:42 pm, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Even courts in Texas have unwritten traditions Lawboy and I'll bet you
> abide by them..

When not abiding by an unwritten rule cannot cause negative
consequences to my client, and the decision is win or lose, I will
violate the unwritten rule and win. Not doing that can be
malpractice. It would have been irresponsible for Contador - abeit
chivalrous - to sit up at that point in the stage. Besides, haven't
you read that Schlepp doesn't give a shit about the matter anymore? I
mean, if he doesn't care, why do you?

RicodJour

Jul 21, 2010, 5:28:25 PM7/21/10
On Jul 21, 5:00 pm, LawBoy01 <phi...@pwm-law.com> wrote:
> On Jul 20, 5:42 pm, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> > Even courts in Texas have unwritten traditions Lawboy and I'll bet you
> > abide by them..
>
> When not abiding by an unwritten rule cannot cause negative
> consequences to my client, and the decision is win or lose, I will
> violate the unwritten rule and win.

...you will hope to win. Contador is still a sheep fucker.

LawBoy01

Jul 21, 2010, 6:07:31 PM7/21/10

And you're the sheep

Kurgan Gringioni

Jul 21, 2010, 8:14:45 PM7/21/10

"Amit Ghosh" <amit....@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Jul 21, 9:31 am, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> It's a mechanical either way and tradition and sportsmanship dictate
> you don't take advantage. Even doper Lance Armstrong had this much
> class.

:: in almost every race i've done when we hit the climb someone drops

:: their chain, and no one waits for them.

Dumbass -

You're not doing multi-day stage races. In this instance, the racer wearing
the leader's jersey had the mishap.

If it were a one day race, no one would talk about waiting.

thanks,

Kurgan. presented by Gringioni.

Scott

Jul 21, 2010, 10:25:25 PM7/21/10

Really? Who are you racing with? In 20 years of racing I've never
been in a road race where someone dropped a chain on a climb.

H. Fred Kveck

Jul 22, 2010, 12:10:06 AM7/22/10
In article <ab15f5ac-81ed-466a...@x21g2000yqa.googlegroups.com>,
Scott <hendric...@hotmail.com> wrote:

It depends on the circumstances. Out here, we have the Cat's Hill Crit, which has
a fast straight that has a 90 degree turn onto a sidestreet that immediately goes up
at about a 23% grade. The road is concrete and rough, with seams in bad places.
People regularly drop chains on that. That is the only example I can think of,
however.

http://www.catshill.org/course_descript.html

(Note: Karen Kurreck has won the race eight times. Wow.)