when do you know it's over?

Cicero Venatio

Feb 1, 2011, 7:30:31 PM2/1/11
I was thinking about Jobst's catastrophic accident, and I was wondering
what does it take to finally quit cycling. For most of us, cycling is a
way of life, but all good things come to an end. For some, it was being
hit by a car, for others it was when they no longer really compete at
any level, and for some maybe they just get bored with it. For those of
you who have quit riding, how did you reach that decision, and what did
you replace it with, if anything?

thirty-six

Feb 1, 2011, 8:24:39 PM2/1/11

The passionate never quit, even when they've already lost. They just
don't get out so often now. I've seen many men in their 70's and 80's
continue to pedal despite difficulties. I remember meeting this old
fat bloke on the road who happened to be a world class top sprinter at
54 (last professional engagement), it was ten years later and he was
challenging skinny little me at 17 and little experience on my race
frame. "I'll race you to the roundabout?" he offered, I declined (oh
how I wish I hadn't), I was unsure whether It would have been me or
him who would have been embaressed. I didn't know until a few minutes
later after he left me it was Reg Harris and got told his story. It
was obviously an unfair challenge. So although he had already
officially professionaly retired, twice, he couldn't give up his
passion for the bike or for racing. I believe he died of a heart
attack after a ride three years later.

World pursuit champion of 195x Norman Sheil was track racing at 70, I
don't know if he still is. John Geddes must be around the same age
and still rides. Just like Tommy Simpson, it wouldn't surprise me if
these men and other top performers will also ride to their death. "If
it aint hurting, you're not trying, lad" was a coaching phrase still
used in late 80's Pain is an accompianment to success for these
people, continuing to ride on despite cardiac pain is not surprising.

ilan

Feb 1, 2011, 8:25:38 PM2/1/11

Brad Anders

Feb 1, 2011, 8:28:23 PM2/1/11

Uh, nobody really knows jack shit about how Jobst will recover from
his accident. Can you cut the "catastrophic" label for now? Thanks...

derf...@gmail.com

Feb 1, 2011, 10:27:06 PM2/1/11
On Feb 1, 8:25 pm, ilan <ilan...@gmail.com> wrote:
> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sRMtXUgVp0c&feature=related

if Kate Smith sings when LANCE is indicted, does it mean BLaff will
finally STFU?

ilan

Feb 1, 2011, 10:37:13 PM2/1/11

Since I avoid the use of profanity, about 10 times a day I wish that
acronyms like that could be used IRL.

-ilan

Simply Fred

Feb 2, 2011, 4:35:02 AM2/2/11

Brad Anders wrote:
> Uh, nobody really knows jack shit about how Jobst will recover from
> his accident. Can you cut the "catastrophic" label for now? Thanks...

You're speaking to the resident ghoul, remember.

Phil H

Feb 2, 2011, 10:54:18 AM2/2/11

I train with Franz Hammer and he's 74 and a multi national masters
road racing champ. He's had previous health issues (prostrate C) but
has bounced back and still loves to ride, race and train hard. Phil H

Vagina Gorilla

Feb 2, 2011, 11:01:47 AM2/2/11
No respectable or accomplished cyclist would ever spend a minute in
this shit hole.

Carl Sundquist

Feb 2, 2011, 12:28:52 PM2/2/11

Is he related to Sarah Hammer?

gds

Feb 2, 2011, 4:21:54 PM2/2/11
On Feb 1, 5:30 pm, Cicero Venatio <jazzyb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

I have no idea the actual extent of Jobst's injury nor his prognosis.
But last Marchat age 65 I crashed in a crit and had a severe break of
the femur at the head which required a rod down the femur and several
screws to hold it all together. While painful and requiring lots of PT
I was back on the trainer in 10 weeks, on the road 3 weeks later and
racing (poorly) in another 4 weeks.
So, even at a relatively advanced age, folks who are in shape and
basically healthy can recover fully.

Frederick the Great

Feb 2, 2011, 4:43:43 PM2/2/11
In article
<b0cbcf07-3a82-4a4e...@f18g2000yqd.googlegroups.com>,
ilan <ila...@gmail.com> wrote:

en fuego. Watch companies, now this.

--
Old Fritz

A. Dumas

Feb 3, 2011, 12:26:56 PM2/3/11
Carl Sundquist wrote:

> On Feb 2, 9:54 am, Phil H wrote:
>> I train with Franz Hammer and he's 74 and a multi national masters
>> road racing champ. He's had previous health issues (prostrate C) but
>> has bounced back and still loves to ride, race and train hard.
>
> Is he related to Sarah Hammer?

Or Franz Klammer?

A. Dumas

Feb 3, 2011, 12:28:24 PM2/3/11
ilan wrote:

> On Feb 2, 4:27 am, "derFah...@gmail.com" wrote:
>> finally STFU?
>
> Since I avoid the use of profanity, about 10 times a day I wish that
> acronyms like that could be used IRL.

Why? If you use something instead of profanity, it just takes the
meaning of that profanity. A rose is still a rose.

RicodJour

Feb 3, 2011, 1:09:31 PM2/3/11

It's not good to bottle up those feelings. People get heart attacks
and stuff from doing that. Nobody wants to see that happen to you.
For the sake of your family, friends and coworkers, tell them to STFU.

Cursing - it does a body good.

Phil H

Feb 4, 2011, 6:59:30 PM2/4/11
> Is he related to Sarah Hammer?- Hide quoted text -

Sarah is no relation, he knows her and met her dad (he was involved in
a business with Troxel Helmets). Franz was born and raised in
Switzerland and came to the US as a young adult. He was involved in
the cycling business, Olympic Sports as both a team rider and
employee.
Phil H

Mike

Feb 4, 2011, 10:36:24 PM2/4/11
On Feb 1, 5:30 pm, Cicero Venatio <jazzyb...@hotmail.com> wrote:

This is an obvious answer: Replace it with pizza making, googling
other peoples names, posting on RBR, being fat and not having sex with
your unsatisfied wife - that is what most people here seem to do.
I still ride a fixed gear, it's better than driving and I get to
impress
all the hipsters - I'm the coolest kid on my block.
My knee is busted, I still ride, if the Dr. can fix it I will train
four hours a week and race locally again, it's fun and easy, most
people really suck at cycling, which is why they make pizza.
You can fly those model airplanes, paintball, woodworking, cocaine or
meth, there are all kinds of hobbies.

Steven Bornfeld

Feb 4, 2011, 11:36:04 PM2/4/11

...or Tom DeLay?

thirty-six

Feb 5, 2011, 10:17:49 AM2/5/11
On Feb 5, 3:36 am, Mike <mtschatz...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Feb 1, 5:30 pm, Cicero Venatio <jazzyb...@hotmail.com> wrote:
>
> > I was thinking about Jobst's catastrophic accident, and I was wondering
> > what does it take to finally quit cycling.  For most of us, cycling is a
> > way of life, but all good things come to an end.  For some, it was being
> > hit by a car, for others it was when they no longer really compete at
> > any level, and for some maybe they just get bored with it.  For those of
> > you who have quit riding, how did you reach that decision, and what did
> > you replace it with, if anything?
>
> This is an obvious answer: Replace it with pizza making, googling

How long do you leave your dough to rest?

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Feb 8, 2011, 2:07:24 AM2/8/11

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tVMJKIx34SE

(Sorry about the quality - for some reason most of
the videos of this run are edited to take out all the
OMG he's gonna lose it parts)

Fredmaster Ben