HELP: Waterproof Trunk Bag For Road Bike ??

Chess Gator

Mar 22, 2011, 7:53:44 PM3/22/11
Hi, what companies are selling a waterproof (not water resistant)
trunk bag for road bikes? A trunk bag sits above the rear wheel on
the steel frame bag holder.

I bought two waterproof panniers from Axiom, but they do not have any
waterproof trunk bags only water resistant ones.

Where can I get a trunk bag for a road bike?

Thank you

CG

(PeteCresswell)

Mar 22, 2011, 8:28:33 PM3/22/11
Per Chess Gator:

I've got one that purports tb waterproof - or, at least, it has
waterproof zippers. Probably much too big for a road bike.

But my confidence level is low, and I use a few ZipLoc bags for
stuff that needs tb kept dry.
--
PeteCresswell

AMuzi

Mar 22, 2011, 9:13:27 PM3/22/11

something like this?
http://www.invodo.com/Planet-Bike-Escape-Pod/p/IXPD94D7

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Mar 22, 2011, 9:33:32 PM3/22/11
On 3/22/2011 8:13 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
> Chess Gator wrote:
>> Hi, what companies are selling a waterproof (not water resistant)
>> trunk bag for road bikes? A trunk bag sits above the rear wheel on
>> the steel frame bag holder.
>>
>> I bought two waterproof panniers from Axiom, but they do not have any
>> waterproof trunk bags only water resistant ones.
>>
>> Where can I get a trunk bag for a road bike?
>

> something like this?
> http://www.invodo.com/Planet-Bike-Escape-Pod/p/IXPD94D7

Submersible to what depth?

--
Tºm Shermªn - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

AMuzi

Mar 22, 2011, 9:39:34 PM3/22/11
Tºm Shermªn™ °_° > wrote:
> On 3/22/2011 8:13 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
>> Chess Gator wrote:
>>> Hi, what companies are selling a waterproof (not water resistant)
>>> trunk bag for road bikes? A trunk bag sits above the rear wheel on
>>> the steel frame bag holder.
>>>
>>> I bought two waterproof panniers from Axiom, but they do not have any
>>> waterproof trunk bags only water resistant ones.
>>>
>>> Where can I get a trunk bag for a road bike?
>>

>> something like this?
>> http://www.invodo.com/Planet-Bike-Escape-Pod/p/IXPD94D7
>>

> Submersible to what depth?

Doesn't matter. When the streets are filled with rainwater
deeper than a bicycle wheel, you have other problems.

Yes, Tom, even your wheels.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Mar 22, 2011, 9:51:31 PM3/22/11
On 3/22/2011 8:39 PM, A. Muzi wrote:
> Tºm Shermªn™ °_° > wrote:

>>> something like this?
>>> http://www.invodo.com/Planet-Bike-Escape-Pod/p/IXPD94D7
>>>

>> Submersible to what depth?
>
> Doesn't matter. When the streets are filled with rainwater deeper than a
> bicycle wheel, you have other problems.

Yes, that would be a problem:
<http://www.besportier.com/archives/world%E2%80%99s-largest-bike-didi-senft.jpg>.

> Yes, Tom, even your wheels.

What if you veer off the bicycle lane into the canal?
<http://homepage.ntlworld.com/pete.meg/wcc/facility-of-the-month/February2009.htm>

RicodJour

Mar 22, 2011, 10:13:16 PM3/22/11

Topeak makes some. Such as:
http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-MTX-Trunk-Dry-Bag/dp/B000ZKERZ4

The pertinent search term is 'dry bag'.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Mar 22, 2011, 10:22:11 PM3/22/11

<http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/MTXTrunkDryBag>

Presumably "waterproof" from precipitation and splashing, not immersion.

Message has been deleted

Andre Jute

Mar 23, 2011, 2:03:44 AM3/23/11

If you want real waterproofing in a soft bag, you will need something
like an Ortlieb dry bag which is designed to fit lengthwise on the
rack; this is the one that looks like a duffel bag. Very inconvenient
for day trips; really for touring, where you only want to get into it
once a day.

The easiest solution for you is a hard case of some kind. They're
common over here.
http://shop.ebay.de/i.html?_nkw=fahrrad+%2B%28box%2Ckoffer%2Cgepacktragerbox%2Cgepackbox%2Cfahrradkoffer%29&_sacat=0&_odkw=fahrrad+%2B%28box%2Ckoffer%2Cgepacktragerbox%2Cgepackbox%29&_osacat=0&_trksid=p3286.c0.m270.l1313
Note that the Planet Bike box elsewhere suggested to you is just a
Sunny box with a Planet Bike sticker, for which Planet Bike plans to
stick you forty bucks for the sticker... Sunny box $65 at Planet Bike,
about 20-25 Euro (25-30USD) on German Ebay.

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Bicycles at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/BICYCLE%20%26%20CYCLING.html

RicodJour

Mar 23, 2011, 2:24:06 AM3/23/11
On Mar 22, 10:22 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

$southslope.net"> wrote:
> On 3/22/2011 9:13 PM, RicodJour wrote:
> > On Mar 22, 7:53 pm, Chess Gator<chessga...@gmail.com>  wrote:
>
> >> Hi, what companies are selling a waterproof (not water resistant)
> >> trunk bag for road bikes?  A trunk bag sits above the rear wheel on
> >> the steel frame bag holder.
>
> >> I bought two waterproof panniers from Axiom, but they do not have any
> >> waterproof trunk bags only water resistant ones.

I bought an Axiom saddle bag and the stated capacity was only off by
about 50%, oddly enough in the direction of their cost-cutting favor.

> >> Where can I get a trunk bag for a road bike?
>
> > Topeak makes some.  Such as:
> >http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-MTX-Trunk-Dry-Bag/dp/B000ZKERZ4
>
> > The pertinent search term is 'dry bag'.
>
> <http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/MTXTrunkDryBag>
>
> Presumably "waterproof" from precipitation and splashing, not immersion.

You neglect the time variable. People are also only waterproof from
precipitation and splashing, not immersion, when the time scale is
factored in, so it's not an issue.

Duane Hebert

Mar 23, 2011, 9:15:41 AM3/23/11

In Tom's case, it could be fatal.

Tºm Shermªn™ °_°

Mar 23, 2011, 12:29:26 PM3/23/11

I think you have that backwards. In my case, the water will rather shallow.

Chalo

Mar 23, 2011, 12:58:45 PM3/23/11
Töm Shermän wrote:

> Duane Hebert wrote:
> >
> > AMuzi wrote:

> >> Doesn't matter. When the streets are filled with rainwater deeper than a
> >> bicycle wheel, you have other problems.
> >>
> >> Yes, Tom, even your wheels.
> >
> > In Tom's case, it could be fatal.
>
> I think you have that backwards.  In my case, the water will rather shallow.

But you'd be mechanically fastened to an incredibly heavy anchor-
shaped object (if you were riding your three-wheeler, anyway).

Chalo

Chalo

Mar 23, 2011, 1:12:11 PM3/23/11

Here's a nice 115 liter bag from our friends in the boating sector:

http://www.rei.com/product/784169

If you don't already have a trunk for your trunk bag, here's one. It
doesn't say how waterproof it is, but some pitch and oakum can fix
that up straightaway:

http://www.overstock.com/Home-Garden/Embossed-Pattern-Steamer-Trunk/3941807/product.html

If you don't want to carry it on your head, or on your back, then you
may need a special rack for your bike:

http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_G40bsOaeIzs/SA9mmecuY2I/AAAAAAAAAXA/ouPu5tHXBdo/s1600-h/IMG_0911.JPG

Or you could get a nice trailer for your waterproof trunk bag:

http://bikesatwork.com/bike-trailers/model-32a-bike-cart.html

But you'd need to be sure that your road bike's frame is compatible
with the hitch:

http://bikesatwork.com/bike-trailer-parts/

Good luck!

Chalo

AMuzi

Mar 23, 2011, 1:50:29 PM3/23/11

I assume one's luggage would leak, among other problems.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Mar 23, 2011, 4:01:19 PM3/23/11
On Mar 22, 8:22 pm, Tºm Shermªn™ °_° <""twshermanREMOVE\"@THI

This is crossposted to rec.bicycles.racing, so I assume
the OP wanted a racing trunk bag, not the type of immersion-proof
trunk bag one would want for say touring around England.

kolldata

Mar 23, 2011, 4:26:45 PM3/23/11
SEARCH FOR :

NRS KAYAK
REI: paddling accessories
CAMPMOR.COM ---- paddling/canoe/kayak......while there buy wool socks
2 pack.
or DIY waterproof bag, or Sea Kayaker in back issues

buy the bag size for the Home Depot toolbox fits whatever.

sew a light slippery nylon inside liner for the waterproof bag.

liner/bag/tool box......

or buy a Pelican box.
Search: PELICAN waterproof box

Chess Gator

Mar 23, 2011, 5:12:02 PM3/23/11

Hi, will the Topeak trunk bag attach to any standard steel carrier?
If so, does it come with straps etc?

Thank you

Anton Berlin

Mar 23, 2011, 5:50:11 PM3/23/11

I've cycled around the world twice and been in complete monsoons for
days and even a typhoon. When it REALLY needed to be waterproof I
used a Pelican case and bungied it to the rack.

The Ortlieb panniers are also good.

RicodJour

Mar 23, 2011, 5:58:48 PM3/23/11
On Mar 23, 5:12 pm, Chess Gator <chessga...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mar 22, 10:13 pm, RicodJour <ricodj...@worldemail.com> wrote:
>

> > On Mar 22, 7:53 pm, Chess Gator <chessga...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > > Hi, what companies are selling a waterproof (not water resistant)
> > > trunk bag for road bikes?  A trunk bag sits above the rear wheel on
> > > the steel frame bag holder.
>
> > > I bought two waterproof panniers from Axiom, but they do not have any
> > > waterproof trunk bags only water resistant ones.
>
> > > Where can I get a trunk bag for a road bike?
>
> > Topeak makes some.  Such as:http://www.amazon.com/Topeak-MTX-Trunk-Dry-Bag/dp/B000ZKERZ4
>
> > The pertinent search term is 'dry bag'.
>

> Hi, will the Topeak trunk bag attach to any standard steel carrier?
> If so, does it come with straps etc?

It's designed to be a quick release system on the Topeak racks. Not
sure if it's adaptable, probably doesn't have straps or etc.

AMuzi

Mar 24, 2011, 12:17:16 AM3/24/11

Slide/lock into a Topeak rack or use the attached velcro
straps on other racks.