You guys were right, RAAM is not a race

Anton Berlin

Jun 13, 2010, 4:40:22 PM6/13/10

Pave Maria

Jun 15, 2010, 2:05:53 AM6/15/10
On Jun 13, 1:40 pm, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> A french women on a recumbant is in the lead
>
> http://velonews.competitor.com/files/2010/06/Day5Buatois2Web-610x438.jpg

Is she awake?

Ryan Cousineau

Jun 15, 2010, 12:33:26 PM6/15/10
On Jun 14, 11:05 pm, Pave Maria <carmellatheroachkil...@hotmail.com>
wrote:

RecumbEnt.

That is an amazingly complicated way to prevent Shermer's Neck.

Fred on a stick

Jun 15, 2010, 1:09:18 PM6/15/10
On 6/15/2010 9:33 AM, Ryan Cousineau wrote:

> That is an amazingly complicated way to prevent Shermer's Neck.

Recumbents have their own issues. One of the recumbent riders is using a
truncated version of the Stadium Pal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBdymtyXt8Y

Fred on a stick

Jun 15, 2010, 1:17:30 PM6/15/10

BTW, speaking of the sleep deprivation contest, a team had to abandon
yesterday when one of their support vehicles went into a ditch and
flipped over. The driver fell asleep at the wheel. Fortunately, no one
was seriously injured but the vehicle (a huge RV) did cross over into
the on-coming traffic lane and the ditch was on the far side of the road.

Henry

Jun 16, 2010, 10:09:36 PM6/16/10
On Jun 14, 8:40 am, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> A french women on a recumbant is in the lead
>
> http://velonews.competitor.com/files/2010/06/Day5Buatois2Web-610x438.jpg

probably less cheating than all the "pro" events combined.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jun 17, 2010, 1:08:38 AM6/17/10

Right, I'm certain no one in RAAM would take anything
to help them stay awake.

RAAM is the race where D-y could really make an
argument that doping is necessary for the health
of the riders. Take the speed or Adderall away and
RAAM "racers" would be falling under semitrucks,
littering the road like passed-out fratboys on a spring
break sidewalk.

Fredmaster Ben

Ryan Cousineau

Jun 20, 2010, 4:11:03 PM6/20/10
On Jun 15, 10:17 am, Fred on a stick

Oh ffs. Thank heavens nobody innocent got hurt. One of my club-mates
got killed a year ago by a driver who fell asleep and drove head-on
into him on the other side of the road. And these clowns can't even
get their support teams to drive straight.

This incident may have flipped me from "RAAM-solo is a comic sideshow
performed by idiots who don't get the joke" to "RAAM is a menace that
will eventually kill someone who isn't in the race."

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Jun 27, 2010, 2:18:33 PM6/27/10

Can we amend the latter to "RAAM is like the bicycle
version of the Mille Miglia, only neither cool, Italian, fast,
nor painful to cancel due to its venerable tradition?"

At least when a RAAM vehicle runs off the road,
it's unlikely to wreak havoc on a crowd of spectators.

Fredmaster Ben

Fred on a stick

Jun 27, 2010, 3:58:42 PM6/27/10
Fredmaster of Brainerd wrote:

> Can we amend the latter to "RAAM is like the bicycle
> version of the Mille Miglia, only neither cool, Italian, fast,
> nor painful to cancel due to its venerable tradition?"
>
> At least when a RAAM vehicle runs off the road,
> it's unlikely to wreak havoc on a crowd of spectators.
>
> Fredmaster Ben

You know what truly does boggle my mind? A follow vehicle is supposed to
stay right behind the rider so it ends up crossing the entire continent at
11 mph. I wonder whether that thing ever gets out of first. Maybe they can
get AAMCO as a corporate sponsor.