Fear for Armstrong

S Perryman

Jul 17, 2010, 10:58:30 AM7/17/10
Another tumble today (right at the beginning) , and 4+ mins lost at the
end on a flattish stage.

This does not augur well for reaching Paris with some sense of dignity.
Hopefully he'll be able to stay with the "bus" on the nasty stages in
the Pyrenees.

Regards,
Steven Perryman

Superfly TNT

Jul 17, 2010, 12:32:59 PM7/17/10

Armstrong is a dick. He'll get what's coming on him soon enough. Oh
wait, I used the wrong preposition. He'll get what's coming to him
soon enough.

Bisous Bisous from France
Superfly TNT

Anton Berlin

Jul 17, 2010, 4:00:29 PM7/17/10
Actually I have some respect for the guy in that he is sticking with
it. He could have said at any point "i'm too old for this shit"

Although he may be trying to prove to himself that he can ride and
finish the tour without dope - something he's never done yet.

Or he may just be trying to prolong his time as a free man since
arrest and ridicule await after Paris.

Uncle Dave

Jul 17, 2010, 4:57:06 PM7/17/10
On Jul 17, 9:00 pm, Anton Berlin <truth_88...@yahoo.com> wrote:

> Actually I have some respect for the guy in that he is sticking with
> it.  He could have said at any point "i'm too old for this shit"
>
> Although he may be trying to prove to himself that he can ride and
> finish the tour without dope -  something he's never done yet.

Did he not complete a Tour pre-cancer? If so, does that mean he was
doping but just wasn't bothered?

UD

Anton Berlin

Jul 17, 2010, 5:12:32 PM7/17/10
Since we know he doped at the OTC (Strock) and we know he doped after
the cancer (his first corticosteroid positive) it's safe to bet that
he would have been doping in that first tour, his worlds win etc.
This may be the only race he's ever done without dope since he left
Plano.

TheCoz

Jul 17, 2010, 9:44:17 PM7/17/10

He should have stayed home. Or, at least kept his mouth shut boasting
about vying for another tour win and just rode a good tour then call
it quits.
Coz

Superfly TNT

Jul 18, 2010, 1:54:23 AM7/18/10
> Coz- Hide quoted text -

Lance is a dick. Perhaps he can ride for The Bahati Foundation when
he gets out of jail. That's assuming that he'll be able to sit on a
bike seat after being repeatedly raped by Bubba and his buddies.

A. Dumas

Jul 18, 2010, 6:22:34 AM7/18/10

Ever since a high GC placing moved out of reach, he has been taking it
easy on every stage. Judging from his 2nd place at Tour de Suisse and
high finish in the prologue, his general condition is just fine. So:
relatively rested + maybe not great but fine condition + non-threatening
GC position + mountain stages coming up = rather obvious breakaway
and/or stage win plan.

Fred on a stick

Jul 18, 2010, 6:38:26 AM7/18/10
On 7/18/2010 12:22 PM, A. Dumas wrote:

> Ever since a high GC placing moved out of reach, he has been taking it
> easy on every stage. Judging from his 2nd place at Tour de Suisse and
> high finish in the prologue, his general condition is just fine. So:
> relatively rested + maybe not great but fine condition + non-threatening
> GC position + mountain stages coming up = rather obvious breakaway
> and/or stage win plan.

Too bad Simeoni can't come out of retirement to prevent that.

S Perryman

Jul 18, 2010, 8:06:26 AM7/18/10
A. Dumas wrote:

> Ever since a high GC placing moved out of reach, he has been taking it
> easy on every stage. Judging from his 2nd place at Tour de Suisse and
> high finish in the prologue, his general condition is just fine.

Debatable.

> So:
> relatively rested + maybe not great but fine condition + non-threatening
> GC position + mountain stages coming up = rather obvious breakaway

In support of his better placed team members ?? Possibly.
For himself and a stage win ?? Bet Astana will ride him down first.

> and/or stage win plan.

Will be mashed up on stage 14 and 16.
Stage 17 will be a big fire fight at pace on the Tourmalet, if
Schleck/Contador haven't done sufficient damage to each other by then.

Only stage 15 looks viable (big time gap achievable over the flat
+ peloton disinterest, one climb near the end - time losses ok over
the climb - lead maintainable on the descent) .

Regards,
Steven Perryman

Anton Berlin

Jul 18, 2010, 9:22:41 AM7/18/10
Lance was probably intending to dope until the heat turned up and then
he still had to show. We can't see the ins and outs from his point of
view but he might have that spy about to get caught feeling and
everyone is watching his every move.