Frank "Temperance" Krygowski declares open season for motorists on cyclists who take a drink

1 view

Andre Jute

Aug 23, 2010, 4:54:36 PM8/23/10
Andre Jute wrote:
****
• Most fatal crashes (74%) involved a head injury.
• Nearly all bicyclists who died (97%) were not wearing a helmet.
• Helmet use was only 3% in fatal crashes, but 13% in non-fatal
crashes

Source:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/episrv/episrv-bike-report.pdf

This concatenation of facts suggests very strongly that not wearing a
helmet may be particularly dangerous.
****

Frank Krygowski <frkry...@gmail.com> wrote:
[snip to get to Krygowski's beef with the world]
> More specifically, whom do you observe more frequently riding facing
> traffic - helmet wearers or those without helmets?  Who do you suppose
> are more often biking drunk?  Who more often rides at night without
> lights?  Who more often ignores stop signs?

So what do you want to do, Krygowski, declare open season on drunks on
bikes? Give motorists credit points against their speeding offences
for running over a drunken cyclist, more points for killing him than
merely injuring him?

You're confusing three of your fixations, Frankie-boy, Vehicular
Cycling, which I'll investigate later, Anti-Helmet Zealotry, and a
fascist obsession with being seen to be hairsplittingly law-abiding,
and thereby compounding the errors in each and confounding yourself.
In particular, you're getting an important sequence arse-about-end:

DRUNK CYCLISTS ALSO DIE. THE NEW YORK STUDY SUGGESTS THAT FEWER OF
THEM WOULD DIE IF THEY WORE HELMETS.

THEREFORE DRUNK CYCLISTS ARE A PRIMA FACIE CASE FOR MANDATORY HELMET
WEAR.

> And do you think that slapping a helmet on a wrong-way, no-lights,
> stop-sign-running drunk cyclist will change him into a careful law-
> abider?

That's what law enforcement is good for, sonny. Aren't American police
under political control then? (Or do you know as little about the
civic affairs of your mother country as you do about civic affairs in
Western Australia, as I demonstrated a couple of days ago when you
lied about what the Western Australia study shows?)

[snip to remove another statistical idiocy from guess who:]
> - Frank Krygowski

It's bizarre that this fellow Krygoswki cannot see the logical
absurdity of his arguments against wearing a bicycle helmet.

Andre Jute
Relentless rigour -- Gaius Germanicus Caesar

Mike Jacoubowsky

Aug 23, 2010, 5:11:17 PM8/23/10
But do more professional cyclists crash when doped and wearing helmets than
not doped and not wearing helmets?

We need data on the following injury & death rates-

-Doped cyclists wearing helmets
-Clean cyclists wearing helmets
-Doped cyclists sans helmets
-Clean cyclists sans helmets
-Brain injuries not yet revealed but in evidence for various rbr poster
wearing helmets
-Brain injuries not yet revealed but in evidence for various rbr posters
sans helmets
-Effect of wearing foil-lined helmet in weeding out off-topic rbr posts
-Screen refresh rate
-Belief that $100 interconnect cables for digital signals makes a difference

Kolldata=control sample

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

"Andre Jute" <fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

MikeWhy

Aug 23, 2010, 5:22:58 PM8/23/10
Andre Jute wrote:
> THEREFORE DRUNK CYCLISTS ARE A PRIMA FACIE CASE FOR MANDATORY HELMET
> WEAR.

Whatever else passes here, don't sign me up for THAT.

Tim McNamara

Aug 23, 2010, 5:50:21 PM8/23/10
In article <yYydnf89VvBufu_R...@earthlink.com>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com> wrote:

> But do more professional cyclists crash when doped and wearing helmets than
> not doped and not wearing helmets?
>
> We need data on the following injury & death rates-
>
> -Doped cyclists wearing helmets
> -Clean cyclists wearing helmets
> -Doped cyclists sans helmets
> -Clean cyclists sans helmets
> -Brain injuries not yet revealed but in evidence for various rbr poster
> wearing helmets
> -Brain injuries not yet revealed but in evidence for various rbr posters
> sans helmets
> -Effect of wearing foil-lined helmet in weeding out off-topic rbr posts
> -Screen refresh rate
> -Belief that $100 interconnect cables for digital signals makes a difference
>
> Kolldata=control sample

That sums up the missing data well...

--
That'll put marzipan in your pie plate, Bingo.

Andre Jute

Aug 23, 2010, 5:56:24 PM8/23/10
On Aug 23, 10:11 pm, "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com>
wrote:

> But do more professional cyclists crash when doped and wearing helmets than
> not doped and not wearing helmets?
>
> We need data on the following injury & death rates-
>
> -Doped cyclists wearing helmets
> -Clean cyclists wearing helmets
> -Doped cyclists sans helmets
> -Clean cyclists sans helmets
> -Brain injuries not yet revealed but in evidence for various rbr poster
> wearing helmets
> -Brain injuries not yet revealed but in evidence for various rbr posters
> sans helmets
> -Effect of wearing foil-lined helmet in weeding out off-topic rbr posts
> -Screen refresh rate
> -Belief that $100 interconnect cables for digital signals makes a difference

You had me in the palm of your hand, Mike, right until you got here:

> Kolldata=control sample

Then I knew your so-called "study" was fixed in advance. If I were to
try holding up Gene Daniels as the apex of the bell curve, I can think
before I blink again of six, no seven, professional bodies that will
withdraw my membership before I blink a third time.

BTW, hundred buck interconnects are made of mud. Nothing less than the
Real McCoy Triplex Single-Ended Guaranteed Shield (about three and a
half grand for the basic version, more you insists only my own hands
are good enough to make your cables, much more if you want the
monstrous billet tellurium connectors; that's each, not per pair)
works like the Real McCoy etc. They're so popular, I have to listen on
plain Cardas 5TC myself.

> --Mike Jacoubowsky
> Chain Reaction Bicycleswww.ChainReaction.com

> Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

BBTW You forgot the really significant question:
• Will a top propeller on your helmet protect you against cagers, or
should it be at the back of your helmet to work effectively?

Andre Jute
Visit Jute on Amps at
http://www.audio-talk.co.uk/fiultra/
"wonderfully well written and reasoned information for the tube audio
constructor"
John Broskie TubeCAD & GlassWare
"an unbelievably comprehensive web site containing vital gems of
wisdom"
Stuart Perry Hi-Fi News & Record Review

Andre Jute

Aug 23, 2010, 6:00:01 PM8/23/10

Why, Mike, are you confessing that your despair at failing to knock
some sense into Krygo has turned you to drink?

Andre Jute
Just asking

****

Andre Jute wrote:

THEREFORE DRUNK CYCLISTS ARE A PRIMA FACIE CASE FOR MANDATORY HELMET
WEAR.

Kevan Smith

Aug 23, 2010, 9:34:56 PM8/23/10

I would support that if the helmets came with two beer holders on the
sides with a siphon along the chinstrap.

bar

Aug 23, 2010, 9:46:28 PM8/23/10

the beer holders would need to got in the back for aero purposes, bro

bar

Aug 23, 2010, 9:47:15 PM8/23/10

pls ignore the extraneous "t"

Beloved Fred No. 1

Aug 24, 2010, 3:18:31 AM8/24/10
Kevan Smith wrote:
> I would support that if the helmets came with two beer holders on the
> sides with a siphon along the chinstrap.

Dumbass,
Use a camelbak.

Tom Sherman °_°

Aug 24, 2010, 4:40:40 AM8/24/10
On 8/23/2010 3:54 PM, André Jute wrote:
>[...]

TLDR

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Kevan Smith

Aug 24, 2010, 4:14:58 PM8/24/10

What a total fred! Camelbaks are for mixed drinks.

Andre Jute

Aug 24, 2010, 6:38:46 PM8/24/10

You guys are both such perfect Freds, there's no rating low enough for
you. Jeez, you don't even know that the next and final great thing in
cycling after fixies (so OLD hat, its geriatric) is Crabways Cycling
<TM> where you sit on the bike sideways, so of course Kevan was right,
for best aeroflow the beer holders should be at the sides of the
helmet, not behind it.

Andre "Mr Street Cred" Jute
Camelbacks are for you granny, man

Edward Dolan

Aug 24, 2010, 7:52:57 PM8/24/10

"Tom Sherman °_°" <twsherm...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote in message

> On 8/23/2010 3:54 PM, André Jute wrote:
>>[...]
>
> TLDR

Is there a website that tells us what letters stand for? I hate to kick ass
needlessly.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

Tom Sherman °_°

Aug 24, 2010, 8:04:39 PM8/24/10
On 8/24/2010 6:52 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Tom Sherman °_°"<twsherm...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote in message
>> On 8/23/2010 3:54 PM, André Jute wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> TLDR
>
> Is there a website that tells us what letters stand for? I hate to kick ass
> needlessly.

Too Long, Didn't Read.

I find boredom sets in before I can finish one of Mr. Jute's long-winded
posts.

Davey Crockett

Aug 24, 2010, 8:07:45 PM8/24/10
"Edward Dolan" a écrit profondement:

| "Tom Sherman °_°" <twsherm...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote in message
| > On 8/23/2010 3:54 PM, André Jute wrote:
| >>[...]
| >
| > TLDR

| Is there a website that tells us what letters stand for? I hate to kick ass
| needlessly.

TLDNR Too long did not read
TLDR Too Long Didn't Read

http://www.abbreviations.com/acronyms/CHAT

--
Davey Crockett

James

Aug 24, 2010, 8:21:35 PM8/24/10
On Aug 25, 10:07 am, Davey Crockett <r...@azurservers.com> wrote:
> "Edward Dolan" a écrit profondement:

> | Is there a website that tells us what letters stand for? I hate to kick ass

> | needlessly.
>
> TLDNR   Too long did not read
> TLDR    Too Long Didn't Read

A couple of others I like;

HTFU, from our celebrity murderer, Mark "Chopper" Reid
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1EY7lYRneHc

- and -

SIUP "Suck It Up Princess".

JS.

Edward Dolan

Aug 24, 2010, 9:41:41 PM8/24/10

> On 8/24/2010 6:52 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
>> "Tom Sherman °_°"<twsherm...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote in message
>>>
>>> TLDR
>>
>> Is there a website that tells us what letters stand for? I hate to kick
>> ass
>> needlessly.
>>
> Too Long, Didn't Read.
>
> I find boredom sets in before I can finish one of Mr. Jute's long-winded
> posts.

I also have reproved Andre for being too long-winded. Usenet is all about
conciseness, almost on the level of Twitter. No one will ever read a
long-winded post.

Edward Dolan

Aug 24, 2010, 9:56:41 PM8/24/10

"Davey Crockett" <r...@azurservers.com> wrote in message
> Davey Crockett

Thanks Davey. I have saved that website to my favorites. I do not use
abbreviations much myself, preferring to write out whatever it is I want to
say. Taking shortcuts via abbreviations is a sign of intellectual
slovenliness.

Regards,

Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
aka

PS: What is with the French? I love French culture, but I hate the French
like all sensible folks around the world.

Davey Crockett

Aug 24, 2010, 10:01:53 PM8/24/10
"Edward Dolan" a écrit profondement:

| Thanks Davey. I have saved that website to my favorites. I do not use

| abbreviations much myself, preferring to write out whatever it is I want to
| say. Taking shortcuts via abbreviations is a sign of intellectual
| slovenliness.
>

| Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
| aka
| Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
>
| PS: What is with the French? I love French culture, but I hate the French
| like all sensible folks around the world.

Fortunately then I am not French although I've lived there with minor absences for around 55 years.

But when I'm at home I live in Antibes on the South coast of France on the Mediterranean

--
Davey Crockett

Simon Lewis

Aug 24, 2010, 10:14:11 PM8/24/10
"Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> writes:

> "Davey Crockett" <r...@azurservers.com> wrote in message
>> "Edward Dolan" a écrit profondement:
>>
>> | "Tom Sherman °_°" <twsherm...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote in message

>> | Is there a website that tells us what letters stand for? I hate to kick
>> ass
>> | needlessly.
>>

>> TLDNR Too long did not read
>> TLDR Too Long Didn't Read
>>
>> http://www.abbreviations.com/acronyms/CHAT
>>
>> Davey Crockett
>
> Thanks Davey. I have saved that website to my favorites. I do not use
> abbreviations much myself, preferring to write out whatever it is I want to
> say. Taking shortcuts via abbreviations is a sign of intellectual
> slovenliness.

Not doing so is a sign of a total and utter self absorbed dickhead.

Andre Jute

Aug 24, 2010, 10:22:24 PM8/24/10
On Aug 24, 9:40 am, Tom Sherman wrote:
> On 8/23/2010 3:54 PM, André Jute wrote:
>
> >[...]
>
> TLDR
>
> --
> Tom Sherman

Here's the irreducible soundbite version:

• Most fatal crashes (74%) involved a head injury.
• Nearly all bicyclists who died (97%) were not wearing a helmet.
• Helmet use was only 3% in fatal crashes, but 13% in non-fatal
crashes

Source:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/episrv/episrv-bike-report.pdf

This concatenation of facts suggests very strongly that not wearing a
helmet may be particularly dangerous.

HTH.

Andre Jute
Thank God I'm not handicapped by a short attention span and an
inadequate education

Andre Jute

Aug 24, 2010, 10:27:12 PM8/24/10
On Aug 25, 2:41 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "Tom Sherman °_°" <twshermanREM...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote in messagenews:i51mml$3bl$1...@news.eternal-september.org...

> > On 8/24/2010 6:52 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> >> "Tom Sherman °_°"<twshermanREM...@THISsouthslope.net>  wrote in message

> >> Is there a website that tells us what letters stand for? I hate to kick
> >> ass
> >> needlessly.
>
> > Too Long, Didn't Read.
>
> > I find boredom sets in before I can finish one of Mr. Jute's long-winded
> > posts.
>
> I also have reproved Andre for being too long-winded. Usenet is all about
> conciseness, almost on the level of Twitter. No one will ever read a
> long-winded post.
>
> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

So in a thread about dead cyclists you useless twerps are having a
circle jerk congratulating yourselves on not being able to grasp even
the soundbite version for morons?

Oh, well, what can one expect.

Edward Dolan

Aug 24, 2010, 10:45:26 PM8/24/10

"Andre Jute" <fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
[...]

> Thank God I'm not handicapped by a short attention span and an
inadequate education.

I have spent my life reading the most long-winded books ever created by man.
But I am fed up with it. It belongs to the 19th and 20th centuries, not the
21st century.

My brother had to personally deal with Johnny Carson (The Tonight Show) and
the first thing he was told was that Carson had a very short attention span.
We are now living in a world where everyone has a short attention span. It
does not have much to do with education. It has to do with getting to the
point.

I know Tom Sherman rather well having done battle with him on Usenet for
many years. He is smart as a whip and if he tells you that what you write is
too long, I would listen to him. Our world of reading on and on is gone
forever. I attribute it all to the new technology. Let's face it, who reads
books anymore?

Edward Dolan

Aug 24, 2010, 10:53:22 PM8/24/10

> "Edward Dolan" a écrit profondement:
>
> | Thanks Davey. I have saved that website to my favorites. I do not use
> | abbreviations much myself, preferring to write out whatever it is I want
> | say. Taking shortcuts via abbreviations is a sign of intellectual
> | slovenliness.
>>
> | PS: What is with the French? I love French culture, but I hate the
> French
> | like all sensible folks around the world.
>
> Fortunately then I am not French although I've lived there with minor
> absences for around 55 years.
>
> But when I'm at home I live in Antibes on the South coast of France on the
> Mediterranean

Paris, the most beautiful large city in the world! But the Parisiennes are
far from beautiful. Whenever I am in Paris, I avoid Parisiennes as if they
have the plague. I assume the rest of France is not as bad as Paris.

Regards,

Edward Dolan

Aug 24, 2010, 10:58:40 PM8/24/10

"Simon Lewis" <simonle...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> writes:
[...]

>> Thanks Davey. I have saved that website to my favorites. I do not use
>> abbreviations much myself, preferring to write out whatever it is I want
>> say. Taking shortcuts via abbreviations is a sign of intellectual
>> slovenliness.
>
> Not doing so is a sign of a total and utter self absorbed dickhead.

Au contraire, my good man, not doing so is a sign of respect for the reader.
But what would you know of that?

Andre Jute

Aug 24, 2010, 11:16:29 PM8/24/10
Sorry, Ed. You're mistaking me for someone who gives a shit for the
opinion of Sherman, or you, for that matter. Show me first that you're
not useless eaters, then we can negotiate. Until then. -- AJ

On Aug 25, 3:45 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

Edward Dolan

Aug 24, 2010, 11:31:53 PM8/24/10

On Aug 25, 2:41 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "Tom Sherman °_°" <twshermanREM...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote in
> messagenews:i51mml$3bl$1...@news.eternal-september.org...
[...]

> > I find boredom sets in before I can finish one of Mr. Jute's long-winded
> > posts.
>
> I also have reproved Andre for being too long-winded. Usenet is all about
> conciseness, almost on the level of Twitter. No one will ever read a
> long-winded post.

>>> So in a thread about dead cyclists you useless twerps are having a

circle jerk congratulating yourselves on not being able to grasp even
the soundbite version for morons?

The soundbite version is fine. The other long-winded version is not. Usenet
is not composed of scholars or even readers. It is composed of idiots. So
write accordingly. If you don't, then you are the moron.

By the way, the "circle jerk" reference has alerted Saint Edward the Great.
If it is a race to the bottom you are after, you have chosen well. I am only
a gentleman with other gentlemen. Unlike Tom Sherman, I am not a gentleman
with bottom dwellers.

>>> Oh, well, what can one expect.

You can expect to have the tangle of your life if you fuck much with me. I
am Irish to the core and will argue with anyone until the cows come home. In
other words ... forever! Just ask Tom Sherman.

andre...@aol.com

Aug 24, 2010, 11:32:25 PM8/24/10

Education and attention span don't have a bit to do with it. I has to
do with content and style. Only an ignoramus would assume that because
the post is long someone must have the desire to read the entire
piece. You need to be educated to know that people will read what they
are interested in if it appeals to their aesthetic sense.
Unfortunately many of the authors who send their endless cathartic
diatribes haven't realized that (1) most readers don't give a shit and
(2) the authors themselves are obviously illiterate if they need to
write an encyclopedia to articulate a meaningless idea.

James

Aug 24, 2010, 11:50:52 PM8/24/10
On Aug 25, 12:45 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

> I have spent my life reading the most long-winded books ever created by man.
> But I am fed up with it. It belongs to the 19th and 20th centuries, not the
> 21st century.

How long did it take you to realise this?

> My brother had to personally deal with Johnny Carson (The Tonight Show) and
> the first thing he was told was that Carson had a very short attention span.
> We are now living in a world where everyone has a short attention span. It
> does not have much to do with education. It has to do with getting to the
> point.

Though more patience would perhaps improve ones chances of being
better educated. A lack of patience does seem to be a common trait.
Everyone appears to want instant pudding. You can observe the
condition everywhere in modern society. Home, roads, shopping
centres, work place, etc.

Attention span is directly linked to interest level and patience.
Johnny boy, obviously was impatient and didn't really give a hoot.
I've never been bothered to read pulp fiction, preferring to wait
until the motion picture arrives, proving that it doesn't really
interest me, only just enough to sit through the movie. However I'm
quite happy to spend all day and into the night casting dry flies to
unsuspecting trout. This gets my full attention. For some of us,
patience is still a virtue.

Cheers,
James.

Kevan Smith

Aug 24, 2010, 11:59:45 PM8/24/10
On 8/24/10 6:52 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Tom Sherman °_°"<twsherm...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote in message
>> On 8/23/2010 3:54 PM, André Jute wrote:
>>> [...]
>>
>> TLDR
>
> Is there a website that tells us what letters stand for? I hate to kick ass
> needlessly.

TLDR = Too Long, Didn't Read

Andre Jute

Aug 25, 2010, 12:08:56 AM8/25/10
On Aug 25, 4:50 am, James <james.e.stew...@gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm
> quite happy to spend all day and into the night casting dry flies to
> unsuspecting trout.  This gets my full attention.  For some of us,
> patience is still a virtue.

Ha! You've risen in my estimation. I can spend days on the river; I
live over it. Most of the time I don't even put a fly on the hook.
Just the flash of sunlight on the metal should be enough to attract
the attention of a trout or a salmon. Of course, there is always some
American tourist who'll tell you the hook is bare, and one lady in
unsuitable shorts caught a locust and brought it to me and offered to
show me how to bait the hook...

Mr Trevor sold sports gear in the village until, an old, old man, he
died. One day I was in there when an American, standing over a bag of
at least half a dozen brandnew Shakespear rods, had just about every
reel of line on the counter, each one not good enough for him. I was
just waiting for it. And right on cue the American asked, 'Don't you
have any pre-stretched line?' Mr Trevor looked him straight in the eye
and said, 'Sir, if you don't have time to stretch your own line, you
don't have time to fish.'

Andre Jute
QED, but the fish don't agree

Edward Dolan

Aug 25, 2010, 12:15:35 AM8/25/10

"Andre Jute" <fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

>> Sorry, Ed. You're mistaking me for someone who gives a shit for the
opinion of Sherman, or you, for that matter. Show me first that you're
not useless eaters, then we can negotiate. Until then. -- AJ

You are posting long-winded messages (about helmets of all subjects) which
no one in their right mind would ever read except for a fellow asshole like
Frank K. The two of you certainly deserve one another. Mr. Sherman and I
are both showing the entire newsgroup what a fool you are. I assure you that
neither of us gives a damn about you or your opinions. That is a given. But
we hate long-winded messages which go nowhere. How presumptuous of you to
think anyone wants to read long-winded shit.

The subject of helmets has been done to death. Were you born yesterday? You
and Frank K. are a couple of morons to even be discussing it. Did the mists
of Ireland make you this stupid?

Andre Jute (re the remark about a useless eater) is no doubt a hard working
slob, but of course not a smart working slob. May he labor by the sweat of
his brow unit he drops dead of exhaustion like the dumb animal he is. The
world will never know that he even existed. That is ever the lot of those
who work by the sweat of their brow.

Your next post about those god damn fucking helmets will reap the whirlwind
from me. I can't believe there are still those who think this is a subject
worth writing about. What a sodden backwoodsman you must be! Time for you to
get out of fucking Ireland and back to the real world.

Edward Dolan

Aug 25, 2010, 12:29:07 AM8/25/10

<andre...@aol.com> wrote in message

On Aug 24, 8:22 pm, Andre Jute <fiult...@yahoo.com> wrote:
[...]

> Thank God I'm not handicapped by a short attention span and an
> inadequate education

>> Education and attention span don't have a bit to do with it. I has to
do with content and style. Only an ignoramus would assume that because
the post is long someone must have the desire to read the entire
piece. You need to be educated to know that people will read what they
are interested in if it appeals to their aesthetic sense.
Unfortunately many of the authors who send their endless cathartic
diatribes haven't realized that (1) most readers don't give a shit and
(2) the authors themselves are obviously illiterate if they need to
write an encyclopedia to articulate a meaningless idea.

Wow! Where have you been all of my life. You said it better than I ever
could.

It is indeed easy to extract all kinds of meaningless shit from the Web, but
if you don't say it concisely in your own words it is all for naught. If a
post is long I will not bother with it and neither will anyone else that has
any brains. I think a few short paragraphs is the max that anyone will put
up with.Those who write long diatribes are among the most stupid people who
have ever lived. It's as if they have no sense at all.

Tom Sherman °_°

Aug 25, 2010, 12:30:45 AM8/25/10
On 8/24/2010 8:56 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> "Davey Crockett"<r...@azurservers.com> wrote in message
>> "Edward Dolan" a écrit profondement:
>>
>> | "Tom Sherman °_°"<twsherm...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote in message

>> | Is there a website that tells us what letters stand for? I hate to kick
>> ass
>> | needlessly.
>>

>> TLDNR Too long did not read
>> TLDR Too Long Didn't Read
>>
>> http://www.abbreviations.com/acronyms/CHAT
>>
>> Davey Crockett
>
> Thanks Davey. I have saved that website to my favorites. I do not use
> abbreviations much myself, preferring to write out whatever it is I want to
> say. Taking shortcuts via abbreviations is a sign of intellectual
> slovenliness.

In this case, I was responding to Mr. Jute, so I did not take much
effort on purpose.

> Regards,
>
> Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
> aka
> Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota
>
> PS: What is with the French? I love French culture, but I hate the French
> like all sensible folks around the world.

Mr. Jute is (reportedly) an Afrikaner, not French.

Tom Sherman °_°

Aug 25, 2010, 12:35:21 AM8/25/10
On 8/24/2010 11:15 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> [...]

> Andre Jute (re the remark about a useless eater) is no doubt a hard working
> slob, but of course not a smart working slob. May he labor by the sweat of
> his brow unit he drops dead of exhaustion like the dumb animal he is. The
> world will never know that he even existed. That is ever the lot of those
> who work by the sweat of their brow.[...]

It is alleged that Mr. Jute is a "remittance man" and he apparently is
also a author, both as "André Jute" (non-fiction) and "Andrew McCoy"
(fiction).

Edward Dolan

Aug 25, 2010, 12:42:42 AM8/25/10

> On 8/24/2010 8:56 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
[...]

I do not use
>> abbreviations much myself, preferring to write out whatever it is I want
>> say. Taking shortcuts via abbreviations is a sign of intellectual
>> slovenliness.
>>
> In this case, I was responding to Mr. Jute, so I did not take much effort
> on purpose.

Yes, I gathered that much but many others are reading these messages that
appear on Usenet. I am always conscious of those others no matter who I am
specifically addressing.
[...]

> Mr. Jute is (reportedly) an Afrikaner, not French.

Whatever he is, he is starting to piss me off royally. Why is he living in
Ireland if he is a Boer?

Edward Dolan

Aug 25, 2010, 12:51:37 AM8/25/10

"James" <james.e...@gmail.com> wrote in message

On Aug 25, 12:45 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

> I have spent my life reading the most long-winded books ever created by
> man.
> But I am fed up with it. It belongs to the 19th and 20th centuries, not
> the
> 21st century.

>> How long did it take you to realise this?

I pretty much stopped reading by age 50. Once the computer came along, I
stopped altogether.

> My brother had to personally deal with Johnny Carson (The Tonight Show)
> and
> the first thing he was told was that Carson had a very short attention
> span.
> We are now living in a world where everyone has a short attention span. It
> does not have much to do with education. It has to do with getting to the
> point.

>>Though more patience would perhaps improve ones chances of being
better educated. A lack of patience does seem to be a common trait.
Everyone appears to want instant pudding. You can observe the
condition everywhere in modern society. Home, roads, shopping
centres, work place, etc.

The world is changing rapidly right before our eyes. I attribute most of the
change to the electronic media, especially computers.

>> Attention span is directly linked to interest level and patience.
Johnny boy, obviously was impatient and didn't really give a hoot.
I've never been bothered to read pulp fiction, preferring to wait
until the motion picture arrives, proving that it doesn't really
interest me, only just enough to sit through the movie. However I'm
quite happy to spend all day and into the night casting dry flies to
unsuspecting trout. This gets my full attention. For some of us,
patience is still a virtue.

Yes, interest determines what we will spend time on. I was once interested
in reading every book in our local public library. Alas, those days are gone
forever.

Davey Crockett

Aug 25, 2010, 1:14:19 AM8/25/10
"Edward Dolan" a écrit profondement:

| "Andre Jute" <fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

| ALL TOP POSTERS ARE IDIOTS!

Not All, just many ;)

--
Davey Crockett

Michael Press

Aug 25, 2010, 2:30:33 AM8/25/10
In article <2cf7$4c748e5a$d8102c96$23...@KNOLOGY.NET>,
"Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

It is not as if Andrew McCoy has not been posting in rbt for three years.
Apparently you have had better things to do,
or McCoy has been ducking you.

--
Michael Press

Michael Press

Aug 25, 2010, 2:51:42 AM8/25/10
In article <272a1$4c748377$d8102c96$31...@KNOLOGY.NET>,
"Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

> "Andre Jute" <fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> [...]
> > Thank God I'm not handicapped by a short attention span and an
> inadequate education.
>
> I have spent my life reading the most long-winded books ever created by man.
> But I am fed up with it. It belongs to the 19th and 20th centuries, not the
> 21st century.
>
> My brother had to personally deal with Johnny Carson (The Tonight Show) and
> the first thing he was told was that Carson had a very short attention span.
> We are now living in a world where everyone has a short attention span. It
> does not have much to do with education. It has to do with getting to the
> point.
>
> I know Tom Sherman rather well having done battle with him on Usenet for
> many years. He is smart as a whip and if he tells you that what you write is
> too long, I would listen to him. Our world of reading on and on is gone
> forever. I attribute it all to the new technology. Let's face it, who reads
> books anymore?

[Holds up hand]
I reread Jane Austen.

--
Michael Press

Barry Taylor

Aug 25, 2010, 5:17:08 AM8/25/10

"Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote in message

> circle jerk congratulating yourselves on not being able to grasp even
> the soundbite version for morons?
>
> The soundbite version is fine. The other long-winded version is not.
> Usenet is not composed of scholars or even readers. It is composed of
> idiots.

ROFL you've just discovered this !

Of course it is !!

And like me you appear to enjoy like mindless company !!!

--
a friendly growl and a hug from

_--| \ __ __ __ _ __
/ \ /__/ / /__/ /__ /_\ /__/
\.-- *_/ /__/ _/ /__/ /__ / \ / \

by the pool at 34 58' 45.27" S 138 36' 47.89" E elev 281 ft

barry j taylor < tayl...@aapt.net.au>

"Never be boastful, someone
may pass who knew you as a
child" karma bear

dgk

Aug 25, 2010, 11:03:34 AM8/25/10
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:41:41 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net>
wrote:

>"Tom Sherman °_°" <twsherm...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote in message
>> On 8/24/2010 6:52 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
>>> "Tom Sherman °_°"<twsherm...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote in message

>>> Is there a website that tells us what letters stand for? I hate to kick
>>> ass
>>> needlessly.
>>>
>> Too Long, Didn't Read.
>>
>> I find boredom sets in before I can finish one of Mr. Jute's long-winded
>> posts.
>
>I also have reproved Andre for being too long-winded. Usenet is all about
>conciseness, almost on the level of Twitter. No one will ever read a
>long-winded post.
>
>Regards,
>
>Ed Dolan the Great - Minnesota
>aka
>Saint Edward the Great - Order of the Perpetual Sorrows - Minnesota

I do sometimes, as long as the post uses paragraphs. Giant blobs of
text are indeed too difficult to read.

dgk

Aug 25, 2010, 11:05:51 AM8/25/10
On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:07:45 -0400, Davey Crockett
<r...@azurservers.com> wrote:

>"Edward Dolan" a écrit profondement:
>

>| "Tom Sherman °_°" <twsherm...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote in message
>| >
>| > TLDR
>

>| Is there a website that tells us what letters stand for? I hate to kick ass
>| needlessly.
>

>TLDNR Too long did not read
>TLDR Too Long Didn't Read
>
>http://www.abbreviations.com/acronyms/CHAT

Shouldn't it be TLD'R then?

Opus

Aug 25, 2010, 12:04:35 PM8/25/10
On Aug 24, 9:22 pm, Andre Jute <fiult...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>snip<

> Here's the irreducible soundbite version:
>
> • Most fatal crashes (74%) involved a head injury.
> • Nearly all bicyclists who died (97%) were not wearing a helmet.
> • Helmet use was only 3% in fatal crashes, but 13% in non-fatal
> crashes
>
> Source:http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/episrv/episrv-bike-report.pdf
>
> This concatenation of facts suggests very strongly that not wearing a
> helmet may be particularly dangerous.
>
> HTH.
>
> Andre Jute
> Thank God I'm not handicapped by a short attention span and an
> inadequate education

Point 1: "Head injury" can encompass anything from a minor scrape to
decapitation.

Point 2: "Involved" does not mean "was the cause of death".

Point 3: Given the small numbers being used in this study (only an
average of ~700 people die riding a bicycle on the roads each year)
small changes in the raw data make for huge changes in percentages.

Point 4: As a survivor of a assault with a motor vehicle I suffered
numerous "head injuries" in the wreck in spite of wearing a high-
quality helmet from a bike shop (not WalMart). The most serious of
those injuries was the diffuse axional damage that has made my speech
difficult and halting with several of the symptoms of early-onset
Alzheimer's (I have lost about 2/3 of my previously formidable
vocabulary, but I still have about 50K words left in the arsenal). The
most visible at the time was the flap of skin that had been attached
to my eyebrow and the bridge of my nose that was hanging loose over my
right eye and cheek. Because of the amount of discomfort I suffered
during the recovery process for this injury I now ride with a full-
face Downhill MTB helmet. Last week I rode to a church function in 105
degree temperatures wearing that helmet. It wasn't fun, but I
survived.

In spite of my experiences while I suggest that wearing a helmet is a
good idea in the US, I am in no way shape or form in favor of a
mandatory helmet law. The problem isn't plastic foam hats but motor
vehicle drivers. As I posted earlier my wreck was an assault, not an
"accident", and I have encountered several drivers in the intervening
years. Make hitting a cyclist or pedestrian a very expensive thing
with stiff fines and prison terms, plus long term loss of licenses for
injury or permanent loss in the case of rider/pedestrian death, and
you will see a much greater improvement in cyclist (and pedestrian)
fatality and injury than making wearing a styrofoam hat law will ever
do.

Edward Dolan

Aug 25, 2010, 1:51:29 PM8/25/10

"Michael Press" <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> In article <2cf7$4c748e5a$d8102c96$23...@KNOLOGY.NET>,
> "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
[...]

>> You can expect to have the tangle of your life if you fuck much with me.
>> am Irish to the core and will argue with anyone until the cows come home.
>> In
>> other words ... forever! Just ask Tom Sherman.
>
> It is not as if Andrew McCoy has not been posting in rbt for three years.
> Apparently you have had better things to do,
> or McCoy has been ducking you.

I am only monitoring RBS. The other bicycle groups no longer interest me.
RBT is quite a bore to anyone who is not interested in the nuts and bolts of
bicycles.

Edward Dolan

Aug 25, 2010, 1:55:24 PM8/25/10

"Barry Taylor" <tayl...@aapt.net.au> wrote in message

> "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote in message

>> circle jerk congratulating yourselves on not being able to grasp even
>> the soundbite version for morons?
>>
>> The soundbite version is fine. The other long-winded version is not.
>> Usenet is not composed of scholars or even readers. It is composed of
>> idiots.
>
> ROFL you've just discovered this !
>
> Of course it is !!
>
> And like me you appear to enjoy like mindless company !!!

There are the usual idiots and then there are a few super idiots (like TM).
It is the super idiots I would like to get rid of. They destroy newsgroups
if left unmolested.

Edward Dolan

Aug 25, 2010, 2:06:37 PM8/25/10

"dgk" <d...@somewhere.com> wrote in message

> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 20:41:41 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net>
> wrote:
[...]

>>I also have reproved Andre for being too long-winded. Usenet is all about
>>conciseness, almost on the level of Twitter. No one will ever read a
>>long-winded post.
>
> I do sometimes, as long as the post uses paragraphs. Giant blobs of
> text are indeed too difficult to read.

The purpose of paragraphs is not to cut up long-winded diatribes, but to
present a single thought per paragraph. Unless you are a Tolstoy, even your
paragraphs should not be too long.

The most important class you will ever take in college is the one you take
in your freshman year called English composition. It is there that you learn
how to organize your thoughts and write them so that others can read with
some comprehension.

Edward Dolan

Aug 25, 2010, 2:22:04 PM8/25/10

> On 8/24/2010 11:15 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
>> [...]
>> Andre Jute (re the remark about a useless eater) is no doubt a hard
>> working
>> slob, but of course not a smart working slob. May he labor by the sweat
>> of
>> his brow unit he drops dead of exhaustion like the dumb animal he is. The
>> world will never know that he even existed. That is ever the lot of those
>> who work by the sweat of their brow.[...]
>
> It is alleged that Mr. Jute is a "remittance man" and he apparently is
> also a author, both as "André Jute" (non-fiction) and "Andrew McCoy"
> (fiction).

Anyone who writes both fiction and non-fiction is an idiot. It is one or the
other. Reading such writers is a waste of time. They can never write
anything good in either medium. Besides, who reads fiction except loony
teenagers!

Anyone who makes their living writing garbage is truly a "useless eater".
Andre Jute should get a real job, like trying to feed 12 cats (and more
strays are coming to the house every day). This is a full time job and keeps
me hopping. Hells Bells, who has time to write books, let alone read them.

Edward Dolan

Aug 25, 2010, 2:32:46 PM8/25/10

> In article <272a1$4c748377$d8102c96$31...@KNOLOGY.NET>,
> "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
[...]

>> I know Tom Sherman rather well having done battle with him on Usenet for
>> many years. He is smart as a whip and if he tells you that what you write
>> is
>> too long, I would listen to him. Our world of reading on and on is gone
>> forever. I attribute it all to the new technology. Let's face it, who
>> reads
>> books anymore?
>
> [Holds up hand]
> I reread Jane Austen.

I stopped reading fiction when I turned 30. I could no long identify with
the protagonist. The reading of fiction is primarily a teenager thing. Some
women go on reading fiction forever which is why I have such contempt for
their mental interests.

It is best for a mature adult to read only non-fiction. I think writers who
go on writing fiction all of their lives are severely retarded myself. At
the least, they have never grown up. Kind of sad really.

Edward Dolan

Aug 25, 2010, 3:13:36 PM8/25/10

"Opus" <opust...@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

That is quite a story Opus. To be assaulted while on the road on a bicycle
by a motorist with a motor vehicle is attempted murder. I think if maybe
that had happened to me I would see about some retaliation, like maybe
murdering the motorist at a place and time of my choosing. Sometimes I think
we cyclists are too civilized for our own good.

His Highness the TibetanMonkey, Creator of the Movement of Tantra-Hammock

Aug 25, 2010, 3:59:46 PM8/25/10

Right, fiction and the Bible --fiction as well-- are a waste of time.

Only short funny stories about animals are good.

Kevan Smith

Aug 25, 2010, 4:09:11 PM8/25/10
On 8/25/10 1:32 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> I stopped reading fiction when I turned 30. I could no long identify with
> the protagonist. The reading of fiction is primarily a teenager thing.

Wow, you sure cut out a lot of great culture. If you want to get back
into it, may I recommend Saramago's novel, "The Cave," which, as the
title suggests, is based on Plato.

k thx bai!

Kevan

kolldata

Aug 25, 2010, 4:54:35 PM8/25/10

kick Plato
read Salem's Lot or The Tommy Knockers
Plato is simplistic

Andre Jute

Aug 25, 2010, 6:05:52 PM8/25/10
On Aug 25, 5:04 pm, Opus <opusthep...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 24, 9:22 pm, Andre Jute <fiult...@yahoo.com> wrote:
>
> >snip<
> > Here's the irreducible soundbite version:
>
> > • Most fatal crashes (74%) involved a head injury.
> > • Nearly all bicyclists who died (97%) were not wearing a helmet.
> > • Helmet use was only 3% in fatal crashes, but 13% in non-fatal
> > crashes
>
> > Source:http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/episrv/episrv-bike-report.pdf
>
> > This concatenation of facts suggests very strongly that not wearing a
> > helmet may be particularly dangerous.
>
> > HTH.
>
> > Andre Jute
> > Thank God I'm not handicapped by a short attention span and an
> > inadequate education
>
> Point 1: "Head injury" can encompass anything from a minor scrape to
> decapitation.

That's the problem with soundbite versions tailored to morons like
Liddell Tommi: some important fact always ends up in the cutting room
floor. If you had read the report I referenced, you would know that
this study is about very serious injuries only. Here's the reference
again:
http://www.nyc.gov/html/doh/downloads/pdf/episrv/episrv-bike-report.pdf

> Point 2: "Involved" does not mean "was the cause of death".

Who said it was? Read the list of injuries included to get an idea of
what "serious" means.

> Point 3: Given the small numbers being used in this study (only an
> average of ~700 people die riding a bicycle on the roads each year)
> small changes in the raw data make for huge changes in percentages.

Even if your argument were relevant to the numbers we're talking
about, so what? Those are still individual people, and if you can't be
bothered to save as few as one, you're a fascist just like Krygowski
and we have nothing further to discuss.

But your objection is irrelevant. This study is the entire universe of
cyclists killed or seriously injured in New York over a period of
years, altogether over 4000 people. If you read the study, instead of
the predigested soundbites for the short-dick squad, you'd know that.

> Point 4: As a survivor of a assault with a motor vehicle I suffered
> numerous "head injuries" in the wreck in spite of wearing a high-
> quality helmet from a bike shop (not WalMart). The most serious of
> those injuries was the diffuse axional damage that has made my speech
> difficult and halting with several of the symptoms of early-onset
> Alzheimer's (I have lost about 2/3 of my previously formidable
> vocabulary, but I still have about 50K words left in the arsenal).

Are we perhaps seeing a superfluous zero here? A truly well-educated
person has a vocabulary in the order of five thousand words. 5K, not
50K. 20K would make you a target for the RBT dumber-downers.

>The
> most visible at the time was the flap of skin that had been attached
> to my eyebrow and the bridge of my nose that was hanging loose over my
> right eye and cheek. Because of the amount of discomfort I suffered
> during the recovery process for this injury I now ride with a full-
> face Downhill MTB helmet. Last week I rode to a church function in 105
> degree temperatures wearing that helmet. It wasn't fun, but I
> survived.

That's a horrendous accident.

> In spite of my experiences while I suggest that wearing a helmet is a
> good idea in the US, I am in no way shape or form in favor of a
> mandatory helmet law.

I'm not promoting a mandatory helmet law, or even helmet wearing, nor
am I expressing an opinion against them. I'm just making sure there
are honest statistics on the table, instead of the lies and
distortions of the Krygowski Krowd.

>The problem isn't plastic foam hats but motor
> vehicle drivers. As I posted earlier my wreck was an assault, not an
> "accident", and I have encountered several drivers in the intervening
> years. Make hitting a cyclist or pedestrian a very expensive thing
> with stiff fines and prison terms, plus long term loss of licenses for
> injury or permanent loss in the case of rider/pedestrian death, and
> you will see a much greater improvement in cyclist (and pedestrian)
> fatality and injury than making wearing a styrofoam hat law will ever
> do.

I live in Europe. I'm absolutely with you on this. The culture has to
change first, then helmets become surplus to requirement except for
speed merchants and offroaders.

Andre Jute
Relentless rigour -- Gaius Germanicus Caesar

Andre Jute

Aug 25, 2010, 6:12:56 PM8/25/10
With the subject line "Andre Jute needs to wise up" Gene Daniels aka

Is this the same Gene Daniels who whined:
"Using proper names for personal attacks in subject lines is offensive
and clearly threatening for the first time reader seeking advice.
Perjorative subject line material is not in our best interests. The
practice is directly comparable to ongoing diatribes on colostomy." --
Gene Daniels aka "kolldata"

Are you a hypocrite, Gene Daniels, or are you a hypocrite?

Andre Jute
At least not a hypocrite

Kevan Smith

Aug 25, 2010, 6:25:45 PM8/25/10
On 8/25/10 3:54 PM, kolldata wrote:
> Plato is simplistic

Saramago is not.

Kevan Smith

Aug 25, 2010, 6:26:25 PM8/25/10
On 8/25/10 5:12 PM, Andre Jute wrote:
> Are you a hypocrite, Gene Daniels, or are you a hypocrite?

He stopped beating his woman years ago,

Tom Sherman °_°

Aug 25, 2010, 6:31:36 PM8/25/10
On 8/25/2010 1:06 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
> [...]
> The most important class you will ever take in college is the one you take
> in your freshman year called English composition. It is there that you learn
> how to organize your thoughts and write them so that others can read with
> some comprehension.[...]

Assuming your English professor is not one of those wacko nuts that
teaches some artsy-fartsy writing style.

I cured several undergrads of that mistake when I taught a laboratory in
a materials testing class where the homework was in the form of
technical papers.

James

Aug 25, 2010, 6:34:24 PM8/25/10
On Aug 26, 4:22 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

> Anyone who makes their living writing garbage is truly a "useless eater".
> Andre Jute should get a real job, like trying to feed 12 cats (and more

> strays are coming to the house every day). This is a full time job and keeps

> me hopping. Hells Bells, who has time to write books, let alone read them.

There's your problem. Too many cats. I see in the UK ladies have
taken to simply luring them straight into a nearby rubbish bin.

JS.

Andre Jute

Aug 25, 2010, 7:08:45 PM8/25/10
On Aug 25, 11:31 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
<twshermanREM...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote:

> I cured several undergrads of that mistake [writing style] when I taught a laboratory in

> a materials testing class where the homework was in the form of
> technical papers.

Christ! Gives new meaning to the phrase: "Those who can, do. Those who
can't, teach." Poor bloody undergraduates, being taught expression by
Liddell Tommi Sherman, whose catchphrase is "Duh?"

Andre Jute
Anti-Helmet Zealotry is like Scientology, only with less science

Andre Jute

Aug 25, 2010, 7:16:54 PM8/25/10

More likely she made a runner. These little sociopaths squat
pointlessly on RBT *because* they're so nasty and stupid they can't
get woman, or, if they get lucky for some short period, keep her. -- AJ

James

Aug 25, 2010, 7:22:21 PM8/25/10

It doesn't get much better than this...

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-11087061

What a hoot!

JS.

Edward Dolan

Aug 26, 2010, 4:47:45 AM8/26/10
"James" <james.e...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Someone should lure you into a nearby by rubbish bin if you ask me.

Edward Dolan

Aug 26, 2010, 4:50:08 AM8/26/10

>>> http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-coventry-warwickshire-11087061

>>> What a hoot!

No one with a brain in his head will ever go to a link unless it is fully
explained beforehand.

Edward Dolan

Aug 26, 2010, 4:59:43 AM8/26/10

> On 8/25/2010 1:06 PM, Edward Dolan wrote:
>> [...]
>> The most important class you will ever take in college is the one you
>> take
>> in your freshman year called English composition. It is there that you
>> learn
>> how to organize your thoughts and write them so that others can read with
>> some comprehension.[...]
>
> Assuming your English professor is not one of those wacko nuts that
> teaches some artsy-fartsy writing style.

Most freshman English composition courses are taught by graduate students
who take their job very seriously. Professors will never spend time
correcting freshman composition papers, which is the essence of a
composition class.

> I cured several undergrads of that mistake when I taught a laboratory in a
> materials testing class where the homework was in the form of technical
> papers.

I suspect that would be good instruction for anyone writing anything.
Hemingway, a writer whom I do not particularly like, was also good at
eschewing fancy writing.

Edward Dolan

Aug 26, 2010, 5:11:33 AM8/26/10

"Andre Jute" <fiul...@yahoo.com> wrote in message

On Aug 25, 11:31 pm, Tom Sherman °_°
<twshermanREM...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote:

> I cured several undergrads of that mistake [writing style] when I taught a
> laboratory in
> a materials testing class where the homework was in the form of
> technical papers.

>> Christ! Gives new meaning to the phrase: "Those who can, do. Those who
can't, teach." Poor bloody undergraduates, being taught expression by
Liddell Tommi Sherman, whose catchphrase is "Duh?"

Teaching is as fully important as "doing". Mr. Sherman was not teaching
expression, he was teaching exactitude.

Mr. Sherman was one of the very few members on these bicycle newsgroups who
impressed me by his writing ability. He does not waste a lot of words like
you and I do. I think we could both benefit from following his example.

Edward Dolan

Aug 26, 2010, 5:19:43 AM8/26/10

"Kevan Smith" <dr.go...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Philosophy is a dead end. I discovered that plowing my way through them all
up to Bertrand Russell, at which point it turned into linguistics. What a
total waste of time, although I suspect all that reading does sharpen the
mind somewhat.

James

Aug 26, 2010, 6:01:13 PM8/26/10
On Aug 26, 6:50 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "James" <james.e.stew...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Aug 26, 8:34 am, James <james.e.stew...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > On Aug 26, 4:22 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
>
> > > Anyone who makes their living writing garbage is truly a "useless
> > > eater".
> > > Andre Jute should get a real job, like trying to feed 12 cats (and more
> > > strays are coming to the house every day). This is a full time job and
> > > keeps
> > > me hopping. Hells Bells, who has time to write books, let alone read
> > > them.
>
> > There's your problem. Too many cats. I see in the UK ladies have
> > taken to simply luring them straight into a nearby rubbish bin.
>
> No one with a brain in his head will ever go to a link unless it is fully
> explained beforehand.

Unless they don't fear what's at the other end. The BBC news website
is not renowned for it's viruses, porn or gambling content, as far as
I'm aware.

Regards,
James.

James

Aug 26, 2010, 6:09:53 PM8/26/10
On Aug 26, 6:47 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

> Someone should lure you into a nearby by rubbish bin if you ask me.

Quite possibly, though I have no issue with cats. What I take offense
to is their owners letting them out. The lady in the video may have
feared for the cats wellbeing, seeing as how it was so close to the
road and murderous traffic. The rubbish bin kept it safe until its
owners retrieved it from the bins safe keeping.

Regards,
James.

Edward Dolan

Aug 26, 2010, 6:23:25 PM8/26/10

On Aug 26, 6:50 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
[...]

> No one with a brain in his head will ever go to a link unless it is fully
> explained beforehand.

>> Unless they don't fear what's at the other end. The BBC news website
is not renowned for it's viruses, porn or gambling content, as far as
I'm aware.

Even so, we need a clue as to what we will find on any link we go to. How
much work is it to provide that clue?

Edward Dolan

Aug 26, 2010, 6:35:28 PM8/26/10

On Aug 26, 6:47 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

> Someone should lure you into a nearby rubbish bin if you ask me.

>> Quite possibly, though I have no issue with cats. What I take offense
to is their owners letting them out. The lady in the video may have

feared for the cats well being, seeing as how it was so close to the

road and murderous traffic. The rubbish bin kept it safe until its
owners retrieved it from the bins safe keeping.

Well, that is what you should have written in the first place. There are
many scum bags on these newsgroups who think it is cute to be cruel to cats.
Cats are fairly high on the evolutionary scale not much different from dogs.
We humans have domesticated them and are therefore responsible for them.

I consider it a privilege when cats let me care for them. The average male
slob will not understand that sentiment. That is because the average male
slob is a barbarian.

My cats never get out. The local traffic on the streets beside the house is
a death sentence for them.

James

Aug 26, 2010, 7:44:34 PM8/26/10
On Aug 27, 8:35 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

> We humans have domesticated them and are therefore responsible for them.

Agreed.

> My cats never get out. The local traffic on the streets beside the house is
> a death sentence for them.

Then you truly are a saint. Please come and educate the assholes
around here. Not only do they let their moggies moan and roam the
street, but I'm left to clean up their turds from my garden. There's
nothing more pleasant than running your fingers through a nice fresh
cat turd, let me assure you.

Regards,
James.

Frank Krygowski

Aug 26, 2010, 11:12:16 PM8/26/10
On Aug 26, 7:44 pm, James <james.e.stew...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Aug 27, 8:35 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
>
> > My cats never get out. The local traffic on the streets beside the house is
> > a death sentence for them.
>
> Then you truly are a saint.  Please come and educate the assholes
> around here.  Not only do they let their moggies moan and roam the
> street, but I'm left to clean up their turds from my garden.

We like having cats wandering our yard.

During the years when no cats roam, our yard becomes Swiss cheese with
chipmunk holes. We've even had a chipmunk in the house, besides a
collection of mice. And friends of ours nearby had a veritable
infestation of chipmunks.

Currently we see maybe three different cats visiting. I'm not sure if
they're feral, or just allowed to roam. A couple are quite friendly.
But the chipmunk problem has vanished this year. And while I think I
solved the mouse problem by sealing their entry point, I hope the
little rodents became cat food, as well.

Seems to me that these cats fill the ecological niche once occupied by
bobcats. Since we seem to have exterminated the native predators, I
see nothing wrong with replacements.

- Frank Krygowski

Edward Dolan

Aug 26, 2010, 11:31:17 PM8/26/10

>> Agreed.

Cleanliness is NOT next to Godliness. Filth is what makes the world go
around. I wash my hands several times a day, but otherwise I am not
concerned about being particularly clean. However, I take a bath once a week
whether I need it or not!

Edward Dolan

Aug 26, 2010, 11:37:24 PM8/26/10

"Frank Krygowski" <frkr...@gmail.com> wrote in message
[...]

>>> We like having cats wandering our yard.

>>> During the years when no cats roam, our yard becomes Swiss cheese with
chipmunk holes. We've even had a chipmunk in the house, besides a
collection of mice. And friends of ours nearby had a veritable
infestation of chipmunks.

>>> Currently we see maybe three different cats visiting. I'm not sure if
they're feral, or just allowed to roam. A couple are quite friendly.
But the chipmunk problem has vanished this year. And while I think I
solved the mouse problem by sealing their entry point, I hope the
little rodents became cat food, as well.

>>> Seems to me that these cats fill the ecological niche once occupied by
bobcats. Since we seem to have exterminated the native predators, I
see nothing wrong with replacements.

Man created the cat so he could pet the tiger. I have seen domesticated cats
that are almost as big as bobcats. In fact, they are so big that vets refuse
to treat them.

James

Aug 27, 2010, 12:22:05 AM8/27/10
On Aug 27, 1:31 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "James" <james.e.stew...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> > Then you truly are a saint.  Please come and educate the assholes

> > around here.  Not only do they let their moggies moan and roam the
> > street, but I'm left to clean up their turds from my garden.  There's
> > nothing more pleasant than running your fingers through a nice fresh
> > cat turd, let me assure you.
>
> Cleanliness is NOT next to Godliness. Filth is what makes the world go
> around. I wash my hands several times a day, but otherwise I am not
> concerned about being particularly clean. However, I take a bath once a week
> whether I need it or not!

Funny, I thought it was inertia.

JS.

James

Aug 27, 2010, 12:29:26 AM8/27/10
On Aug 27, 1:37 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

> Man created the cat so he could pet the tiger. I have seen domesticated cats
> that are almost as big as bobcats. In fact, they are so big that vets refuse
> to treat them.

Domestic cats turned feral grow big and strong too. Very efficient
hunters in the Australian bush. I have no qualms about (humanely)
knocking them off whenever the opportunity arises.

JS.

Edward Dolan

Aug 27, 2010, 3:48:00 PM8/27/10

"James" <james.e...@gmail.com> wrote in message

Nope, it is good sense. I know some slobs who take showers twice a day. Just
how stupid can one get?

REgards,

Dan O

Aug 27, 2010, 3:49:36 PM8/27/10
On Aug 27, 12:48 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "James" <james.e.stew...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Aug 27, 1:31 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
>
> > "James" <james.e.stew...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > > Then you truly are a saint. Please come and educate the assholes
> > > around here. Not only do they let their moggies moan and roam the
> > > street, but I'm left to clean up their turds from my garden. There's
> > > nothing more pleasant than running your fingers through a nice fresh
> > > cat turd, let me assure you.
>
> > Cleanliness is NOT next to Godliness. Filth is what makes the world go
> > around. I wash my hands several times a day, but otherwise I am not
> > concerned about being particularly clean. However, I take a bath once a
> > week
> > whether I need it or not!
>
> Nope, it is good sense. I know some slobs who take showers twice a day. Just
> how stupid can one get?

Could depend on who you can get in there with you ;-)

Radey Shouman

Aug 28, 2010, 3:05:47 PM8/28/10
Frank Krygowski <frkr...@gmail.com> writes:

[...]

> Currently we see maybe three different cats visiting. I'm not sure if
> they're feral, or just allowed to roam. A couple are quite friendly.
> But the chipmunk problem has vanished this year. And while I think I
> solved the mouse problem by sealing their entry point, I hope the
> little rodents became cat food, as well.
>
> Seems to me that these cats fill the ecological niche once occupied by
> bobcats. Since we seem to have exterminated the native predators, I
> see nothing wrong with replacements.

It might seem to make little difference to a chipmunk whether he
is killed by a domestic cat or by a wild predator, but the effect
on the population is quite different.

Bobcats that cannot find enough prey to survive die, or move on to
richer hunting grounds, they do not reproduce in situ. The populations
of predator and prey rise and fall in linked cycles of surfeit and
starvation. Although the prey may periodically become scarce, they are
rarely threatened with extermination.

Domestic cats are fed, typically more than they need to survive, thus
their population is not linked to the prey population, but only the
tolerance of those who feed them. Even really feral cats are often fed
by soft-hearted but irresponsible cat lovers. A consistently high cat
population represents a much different sort of population stress for
small mammals, birds, and reptiles than natural predation does.
Competition with subsidized cats is also hard on the remaining natural
predators.

I don't begrudge you your chipmunk-free lawn (cats are surely
better than poison), but it's a mistake to think of cats as a
replacement for wild predators.

Edward Dolan

Aug 28, 2010, 9:15:37 PM8/28/10

"Radey Shouman" <sho...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Domestic cats and dogs are merely an extension of ourselves as are all
domesticated plants and animals. If you want a primitive paradise, then it
is us humans who have to get off the planet.

andre...@aol.com

Aug 29, 2010, 8:54:16 AM8/29/10
On Aug 28, 7:15 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "Radey Shouman" <shou...@comcast.net> wrote in message

He didn't say that he wanted a primitive paradise. However, we need to
attempt to preserve wildlife. For catlovers who feed feral cats, the
best thing to do is to set traps, take them to the vet to have them
neutered or spayed and released again. Unfortunately there are too
many feral cats and dogs. Way have 4 dogs and seven cats at home. Way
too many for comfort. I have to fight the cats and my wife for space
in the bed. They are all rescues which is unfortunate, not for us, but
for the fact that they reproduce uncontrollably. People abandon them
and they create health, wildlife and other problems.

Edward Dolan

Aug 29, 2010, 11:14:27 AM8/29/10

On Aug 28, 7:15 pm, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
[...]

> Domestic cats and dogs are merely an extension of ourselves as are all
> domesticated plants and animals. If you want a primitive paradise, then it
> is us humans who have to get off the planet.

>> He didn't say that he wanted a primitive paradise. However, we need to

attempt to preserve wildlife. For catlovers who feed feral cats, the
best thing to do is to set traps, take them to the vet to have them
neutered or spayed and released again. Unfortunately there are too
many feral cats and dogs. Way have 4 dogs and seven cats at home. Way
too many for comfort. I have to fight the cats and my wife for space
in the bed. They are all rescues which is unfortunate, not for us, but
for the fact that they reproduce uncontrollably. People abandon them
and they create health, wildlife and other problems.

Totally agree about preserving wildlife, but there are too many who think it
is smart to kill cats for whatever reasons.

I have quite a few cats myself, but I have not had any of them neutered. I
keep them in and do not let them procreate by keeping the males and females
separated at all times.

I am not in favor of neutering any animal. How would you like to be
neutered? Any animal that has been neutered is no longer true to its nature.
It is only our own convenience that makes us think they are better off once
they have been "fixed".

Ever had an anti-hormone shot for prostate cancer? It is the weirdest
feeling possible. It is best for any animal to stay sexual. What needs to be
prevented is procreation, not sexuality.

Tom Sherman °_°

Aug 29, 2010, 11:19:40 AM8/29/10
On 8/29/2010 7:54 AM, andre...@aol.com aka Andrés Muro wrote:
> [...] W[e] have 4 dogs and seven cats at home. Way

> too many for comfort. I have to fight the cats and my wife for space
> in the bed.[...]

Even two cats can make finding space for one person on a queen size bed
challenging.

--
Tom Sherman - 42.435731,-83.985007
I am a vehicular cyclist.

Jay Beattie

Aug 29, 2010, 1:31:02 PM8/29/10
On Aug 29, 8:19 am, Tom Sherman °_°
<twshermanREM...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote:

> On 8/29/2010 7:54 AM, andresm...@aol.com aka Andrés Muro wrote:
>
> > [...] W[e] have 4 dogs and seven cats at home. Way
> > too many for comfort. I have to fight the cats and my wife for space
> > in the bed.[...]
>
> Even two cats can make finding space for one person on a queen size bed
> challenging.

Kick them out of your bed. Seems pretty simple to me. -- Jay Beattie.

Dan O

Aug 29, 2010, 1:39:06 PM8/29/10

But don't go to sleep, or...

Edward Dolan

Aug 29, 2010, 2:53:16 PM8/29/10

"Jay Beattie" <jbea...@lindsayhart.com> wrote in message

Women can be quite the cat lovers. Never ask such women to choose between
her pets and you. If you do, you will be sleeping on the sofa and the cats
will be sleeping with her.

James

Aug 30, 2010, 12:54:43 AM8/30/10
On Aug 30, 4:53 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:

> Women can be quite the cat lovers. Never ask such women to choose between
> her pets and you. If you do, you will be sleeping on the sofa and the cats
> will be sleeping with her.

At that point, a man should probably look for a new woman, one without
a cat fetish, if that bothers him.

JS.

Edward Dolan

Aug 30, 2010, 1:23:01 PM8/30/10

"James" <james.e...@gmail.com> wrote in message

A woman who does not love dumb animals will most likely not love men either.
It is a window into her soul. It means at the least that she will love her
children, something that your kind of woman will never be able to do.

andre...@aol.com

Aug 30, 2010, 4:01:18 PM8/30/10
On Aug 29, 9:14 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> <andresm...@aol.com> wrote in message

You are attributing metacognitive abilites to the cats. They don't
know that they have been fixed. The problem with not fixing them is
that you end up with feral animals that get run over by cars, caught
by the pound, destroy wildlife, etc. I have a blind cat. He has no
idea that he is blind and he is perfectly happy. My neutered cats and
dogs are happy too. At least they appear to be.

Edward Dolan

Aug 30, 2010, 5:41:24 PM8/30/10

On Aug 29, 9:14 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
[...]

> I am not in favor of neutering any animal. How would you like to be
> neutered? Any animal that has been neutered is no longer true to its
> nature.
> It is only our own convenience that makes us think they are better off
> once
> they have been "fixed".
>
> Ever had an anti-hormone shot for prostate cancer? It is the weirdest
> feeling possible. It is best for any animal to stay sexual. What needs to
> be
> prevented is procreation, not sexuality.

>> You are attributing metacognitive abilites to the cats. They don't

know that they have been fixed. The problem with not fixing them is
that you end up with feral animals that get run over by cars, caught
by the pound, destroy wildlife, etc. I have a blind cat. He has no
idea that he is blind and he is perfectly happy. My neutered cats and
dogs are happy too. At least they appear to be.

That is an interesting take, that cats are not cognitive creatures. I think
any animal will know it has been fixed. And it does not make them happy!

All domestic creatures must be controlled by humans who have created them. I
agree with all the problems you reference, but I prefer that any animal that
is under my control not be fixed. I want them to be at least as miserable as
us unfixed humans.

James

Aug 30, 2010, 6:11:14 PM8/30/10
On Aug 31, 3:23 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "James" <james.e.stew...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> On Aug 30, 4:53 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> > Women can be quite the cat lovers. Never ask such women to choose between
> > her pets and you. If you do, you will be sleeping on the sofa and the cats
> > will be sleeping with her.

> > > At that point, a man should probably look for a new woman, one without
> > > a cat fetish, if that bothers him.
>
> A woman who does not love dumb animals will most likely not love men either.
> It is a window into her soul. It means at the least that she will love her
> children, something that your kind of woman will never be able to do.

A woman can love a dumb animal without needing to take it to bed, you
said so yourself.

JS.

Edward Dolan

Aug 30, 2010, 6:49:54 PM8/30/10

"James" <james.e...@gmail.com> wrote in message

It is what the cat wants that determines the outcome. Jeez, I thought you at
least knew that much.

James

Aug 30, 2010, 8:19:28 PM8/30/10
On Aug 31, 8:49 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "James" <james.e.stew...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> On Aug 31, 3:23 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
>
> > "James" <james.e.stew...@gmail.com> wrote in message
> > On Aug 30, 4:53 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> > > Women can be quite the cat lovers. Never ask such women to choose
> > > between
> > > her pets and you. If you do, you will be sleeping on the sofa and the
> > > cats
> > > will be sleeping with her.
>
> > A woman who does not love dumb animals will most likely not love men
> > either.
> > It is a window into her soul. It means at the least that she will love her
> > children, something that your kind of woman will never be able to do.
>
> said so yourself.
>
> It is what the cat wants that determines the outcome. Jeez, I thought you at
> least knew that much.

Oh, I've met women like that, that value a cat's company more than a
man. That was until they met the right man...

By the way, the quoting method of your chosen mail program makes
reading your replies confusing at times.

Regards,
James.

Edward Dolan

Aug 30, 2010, 9:50:21 PM8/30/10

On Aug 31, 8:49 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
[...]

> It is what the cat wants that determines the outcome. Jeez, I thought you
> at
> least knew that much.

>> Oh, I've met women like that, that value a cat's company more than a
man. That was until they met the right man...

But love is fleeting as everyone knows. However, affection for a pet lasts a
lifetime.

>> By the way, the quoting method of your chosen mail program makes
reading your replies confusing at times.

Those who post from Google Groups has that effect on my Windows Mail. I have
to add the chicken marks so as to unconfuse the sequence.

REgards,

James

Aug 31, 2010, 12:05:35 AM8/31/10
On Aug 31, 11:50 am, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net> wrote:
> "James" <james.e.stew...@gmail.com> wrote in message

> >> By the way, the quoting method of your chosen mail program makes

> reading your replies confusing at times.
>
> Those who post from Google Groups has that effect on my Windows Mail. I have
> to add the chicken marks so as to unconfuse the sequence.

There's your problem - _Windows_ mail.

You haven't paid Bill enough for him to tamper with your settings?

JS.

dgk

Aug 31, 2010, 8:20:52 AM8/31/10
On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:41:24 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net>
wrote:

The solution to that is obvious Ed. If you got neutered you would be
less miserable. That would make it less entertaining for us of course,
but it's a price many would agree to pay to make you happy.

dgk

Aug 31, 2010, 8:31:07 AM8/31/10
On Sun, 29 Aug 2010 10:19:40 -0500, Tom Sherman °_°
<twsherm...@THISsouthslope.net> wrote:

>On 8/29/2010 7:54 AM, andre...@aol.com aka Andrés Muro wrote:
>> [...] W[e] have 4 dogs and seven cats at home. Way
>> too many for comfort. I have to fight the cats and my wife for space
>> in the bed.[...]
>
>Even two cats can make finding space for one person on a queen size bed
>challenging.

We have four cats. Two usually join us on the queen-sized bed, the
other two might depending on how their night is going. Two makes it
pretty crowded, four and moving around gets tough.

On the very rare occassion that some wildlife makes it into the house,
we'll hear a very odd noise from little girl Marlo and the bed will
usually end up with a (hopefully) dead waterbug. We've learned to
dread that odd noise, which always means that Marlo is on the hunt.
The other cats are fairly useless for bug patrol. The only time we've
had an actual mouse though everyone gets involved and things get very
lively.

Edward Dolan

Aug 31, 2010, 2:11:44 PM8/31/10

> On Mon, 30 Aug 2010 16:41:24 -0500, "Edward Dolan" <edo...@iw.net>
> wrote:
[...]

>>That is an interesting take, that cats are not cognitive creatures. I
>>think
>>any animal will know it has been fixed. And it does not make them happy!
>>
>>All domestic creatures must be controlled by humans who have created them.
>>agree with all the problems you reference, but I prefer that any animal
>>that
>>is under my control not be fixed. I want them to be at least as miserable
>>as
>>us unfixed humans.
>
> The solution to that is obvious Ed. If you got neutered you would be
> less miserable. That would make it less entertaining for us of course,
> but it's a price many would agree to pay to make you happy.

The one and only purpose of fornication is procreation. If you think it has
any other purpose, then you are even dumber than a dumb animal. Women may be
morons, but at least they know what fornication is all about. It seems it is
only men who think the purpose of fornication is recreation.

For recreation, I suggest a complete perusal of the Beethoven oeuvre. That
will keep you busy for many years.

It is loading more messages.