Bruyneel suspended, Radioshack riders fined

1 view

Fred on a stick

Oct 31, 2010, 1:07:00 PM10/31/10
For wearing Livestrong jerseys.
http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-suspended-for-two-months-over-wrong-jerseys-at-tour-de-france

In other news, Barredo was suspended for the same amount of time for
attacking another rider and trying to hit him over the head with his
bike wheel.

A. Dumas

Oct 31, 2010, 2:09:01 PM10/31/10

Barredo was suspended from Jan 1 to Feb 28 "to have more impact than the
usual off season suspensions in Nov/Dec." On the other hand, Bruyneel
was suspended from Feb 1 to Mar 31, allowing him to be at the Tour Down
Under with LANCE. Barf.

dave a

Oct 31, 2010, 2:38:12 PM10/31/10

Well it's not like wearing what you feel like wearing is the same as
smashing someone over the head with your wheel. If the sponsors are
happy, the UCI shouldn't give a shit what the teams wear. I don't think
the penalty fits the crime in RatShack's case.

Barredo, on the other hand, needs to get a grip on his violent impulses
and should have been given a longer suspension so he could contemplate
the seriousness of his actions.

just my <$0.02

--D-y

Oct 31, 2010, 3:16:56 PM10/31/10
On Oct 31, 1:09 pm, "A. Dumas" <alexan...@dumas.fr.invalid> wrote:
> Fred on a stick wrote:
>
> > For wearing Livestrong jerseys.
> >http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/bruyneel-suspended-for-two-months-ove...

> > In other news, Barredo was suspended for the same amount of time for
> > attacking another rider and trying to hit him over the head with his
> > bike wheel.
>
> Barredo was suspended from Jan 1 to Feb 28 "to have more impact than the
> usual off season suspensions in Nov/Dec." On the other hand, Bruyneel
> was suspended from Feb 1 to Mar 31, allowing him to be at the Tour Down
> Under with LANCE. Barf.

Well, the small amount of coverage I saw seemed to show a fair amount
of "pushback" from Lance, at least. I don't recall anything IRT
Bruyneel one way or the other.

I'd call this an effective "shot across the bow". They have rules they
want you to follow, whatever anyone might think one way or another,
and it's their playground.

An obvious question might be "How hard would it have been for the B&L
Show to get prior approval", especially considering the Livestrong
"cause" connection?". The "pushback" factored in heavily, also; as I
remember, changing jerseys was resisted and the team was threatened
with expulsion. I don't remember the linkage there, IOW if the
expulsion threat was "first word" or whether it was a reaction to an
order to change jerseys not being immediately obeyed.
--D-y

Beloved Fred No. 1

Oct 31, 2010, 3:22:50 PM10/31/10
A. Dumas wrote:
> Barredo was suspended from Jan 1 to Feb 28 "to have more impact than the
> usual off season suspensions in Nov/Dec.

He should have used a 36 spoke tied and soldered wheel if he wanted to
make an impact.

rbt fred

TheCoz

Oct 31, 2010, 5:16:12 PM10/31/10

How does RadioShack's uniform offense compare to what Cipo would
repeatedly pull during TdF events?
Coz

Mike Jacoubowsky

Oct 31, 2010, 7:22:23 PM10/31/10
"TheCoz" <cycl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message

--Oh, please, monsieur. It is a little game we play. They put it on the
bill, I tear up the bill. It is very convenient.--

With Cipo, you've got this one flamboyant guy, a sprinter at that, and
it's no more disruptive than an end-zone dance. Allowing it to continue
isn't going to cause all that much trouble. But for an entire team to
change their kit, for a DS to twit like a twit, and then the team
changed *again* to the "illegal" jerseys for the team podium
presentation, that's another thing entirely. Consider a sprinter to be
like a fighter pilot, and Bruyneel to be a General. One more example
where you'd expect a different standard of behaviour and punishment.

--Mike-- Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReactionBicycles.com

Amit Ghosh

Oct 31, 2010, 7:27:42 PM10/31/10

dumbass,

the team was warned about using the uniforms on the final day and
though they raced in their usual jerseys they still went against the
officials wishes so that made it worse for them.

note that this decision wasn't from the race jury, but traveled up the
chain to the UCI who decided the penalty.

Mark J.

Oct 31, 2010, 7:57:35 PM10/31/10
On 10/31/2010 4:22 PM, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> "TheCoz"<cycl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Oct 31, 1:22 pm, "Beloved Fred No. 1"<n...@mailinator.com> wrote:
>> A. Dumas wrote:
>>> Barredo was suspended from Jan 1 to Feb 28 "to have more impact than
>>> the
>>> usual off season suspensions in Nov/Dec.
>>
>> He should have used a 36 spoke tied and soldered wheel if he wanted to
>> make an impact.
>>
>> rbt fred
>
>>> How does RadioShack's uniform offense compare to what Cipo would
>>> repeatedly pull during TdF events?
>>> Coz
>
> --Oh, please, monsieur. It is a little game we play. They put it on the
> bill, I tear up the bill. It is very convenient.--
>
> With Cipo, you've got this one flamboyant guy, a sprinter at that, and
> it's no more disruptive than an end-zone dance. Allowing it to continue
> isn't going to cause all that much trouble. But for an entire team to
> change their kit,

ISTR that Cipo's entire team did the "convict" black-and-white stripes
"legalize my Cannondale" kit on the ?Sestriere? stage of Le Tour one
year. Postal did the gray postal jerseys for the last stage of the '03
tour and ASO didn't pitch a hissy fit then. I'm sure there were fines,
probably in both cases, but not this silliness.

Mark J.

Horst Schnellinger

Oct 31, 2010, 10:04:15 PM10/31/10
* Mark J. <MarkU...@comcast.net> [31-10-10 23:57]:

This fines are okay, good, there are rules, nobody complaines.
But the suspension is a dumb joke.

Fredmaster of Brainerd

Oct 31, 2010, 11:11:40 PM10/31/10
On Oct 31, 7:04 pm, Horst Schnellinger <schnellin...@nurfuerspam.de>
wrote:
> * Mark J. <MarkUse...@comcast.net> [31-10-10 23:57]:

> > On 10/31/2010 4:22 PM, Mike Jacoubowsky wrote:
> >> "TheCoz"<cycled...@hotmail.com>  wrote in message

IMO, he would have just got a fine had he not
immediately tweeted his criticisms. The suspension
is for using Twitter. Well, and for backtalking the
officials, but I'm in favor of suspensions for
any use of Twitter during a stage. Lines have to be
drawn somewhere. I'm just glad Twitter didn't come
along until after Cipo retired - the talking-on-a-mobile
stunts during the stage were bad enough.

Fredmaster "Time for new black sock rules, goddamnit" Ben

Fred Fredburger

Oct 31, 2010, 11:16:44 PM10/31/10

You're too soft. I'm in favor of the death penalty for all twitter users
everywhere. That'll put a stop to it.

Fred Flintstein

Oct 31, 2010, 11:25:06 PM10/31/10

A note about Cipo, the year he had the rainbow jersey he wore that
in the Giro instead of a sponsored competition leader's jersey he
was supposed to wear. Later, when his team was not invited to the
Tour I thought that maybe it wasn't a well thought out plan to
thumb your nose at a race organizer's sponsor. I'll bet that gets
the organizer's attention, and not in a good way.

Fred Flintstein

DirtRoadie

Oct 31, 2010, 11:59:23 PM10/31/10
On Oct 31, 8:04 pm, Horst Schnellinger <schnellin...@nurfuerspam.de>
wrote:

> This fines are okay, good, there are rules, nobody complaines.

> But the suspension is a dumb joke.

Agree 100%
Save suspensions for those who are actually cheating, not just
violation of some administrative protocol, no matter how flagrant.
DR

A. Dumas

Nov 1, 2010, 7:17:35 AM11/1/10
Fred Fredburger wrote:
> You're too soft. I'm in favor of the death penalty for all twitter users
> everywhere. That'll put a stop to it.

That's it. I'm unfollowing you!

Beloved Fred No. 1

Nov 1, 2010, 8:34:54 AM11/1/10

A. Dumas wrote:
> That's it. I'm unfollowing you!

You can still stock him

--D-y

Nov 1, 2010, 2:06:49 PM11/1/10

This was also notification to Lance that his former status at the TdF
is, and was, like, over.

The Cipo comparison is mostly apples/oranges, IMHO. Cipo was good
press, and a fine served notice to others that the rules were still in
effect.

The Lance thing might well have been seen as self-promotion,
distraction from the event. The push-back, including wearing
LIvestrong during the podium presentation, which I'd forgotten about,
was ill-advised. "Now they know". NBD
--D-y

Michael Press

Nov 1, 2010, 3:49:04 PM11/1/10
In article <nqmdnY7PKIutZ1DR...@earthlink.com>,
"Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com> wrote:

> "TheCoz" <cycl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> On Oct 31, 1:22 pm, "Beloved Fred No. 1" <n...@mailinator.com> wrote:
> > A. Dumas wrote:
> > > Barredo was suspended from Jan 1 to Feb 28 "to have more impact than
> > > the
> > > usual off season suspensions in Nov/Dec.
> >
> > He should have used a 36 spoke tied and soldered wheel if he wanted to
> > make an impact.
> >
> > rbt fred
>
> >>How does RadioShack's uniform offense compare to what Cipo would
> >>repeatedly pull during TdF events?
> >>Coz
>
> --Oh, please, monsieur. It is a little game we play. They put it on the
> bill, I tear up the bill. It is very convenient.--

Darn. I've seen that movie and cannot place the line. Help!

> With Cipo, you've got this one flamboyant guy, a sprinter at that, and
> it's no more disruptive than an end-zone dance. Allowing it to continue
> isn't going to cause all that much trouble. But for an entire team to
> change their kit, for a DS to twit like a twit, and then the team
> changed *again* to the "illegal" jerseys for the team podium
> presentation, that's another thing entirely. Consider a sprinter to be
> like a fighter pilot,

flying under the Golden Gate bridge

--
Michael Press

Mike Jacoubowsky

Nov 1, 2010, 4:07:37 PM11/1/10
"Mark J." <MarkU...@comcast.net> wrote in message

Good points. I think Johan really blew it with his twitter commentary. He
was way over the top with those, and I think he actually got off pretty
lightly. It's one thing for a rider to act irresponsibly, it's another for
the DS.

--Mike Jacoubowsky
Chain Reaction Bicycles
www.ChainReaction.com
Redwood City & Los Altos, CA USA

Ben Trovato

Nov 1, 2010, 5:34:19 PM11/1/10
On Oct 31, 8:25 pm, Fred Flintstein <bob.schwa...@sbcREMOVEglobal.net>
wrote:

Some people don't know which side their bread is buttered until it
hits the floor.

RicodJour

Nov 2, 2010, 12:05:38 AM11/2/10
> Some people don't know which side their bread is buttered until it
> hits the floor.

One of my favorite quotes of all time - from the 1600's or something
like that:
I never had a piece of toast, particular long nor wide,
that fell upon the sanded floor, but on the buttered side.

Mike Jacoubowsky

Nov 2, 2010, 12:41:44 AM11/2/10
"Michael Press" <rub...@pacbell.net> wrote in message

> In article <nqmdnY7PKIutZ1DR...@earthlink.com>,
> "Mike Jacoubowsky" <Mi...@ChainReaction.com> wrote:
>
>> "TheCoz" <cycl...@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> >
>> > He should have used a 36 spoke tied and soldered wheel if he wanted
>> > make an impact.
>> >
>> > rbt fred

>> --Oh, please, monsieur. It is a little game we play. They put it on
>> the
>> bill, I tear up the bill. It is very convenient.--
>
> Darn. I've seen that movie and cannot place the line. Help!

Casablanca.

>> With Cipo, you've got this one flamboyant guy, a sprinter at that,
>> and
>> it's no more disruptive than an end-zone dance. Allowing it to
>> continue
>> isn't going to cause all that much trouble. But for an entire team to
>> change their kit, for a DS to twit like a twit, and then the team
>> changed *again* to the "illegal" jerseys for the team podium
>> presentation, that's another thing entirely. Consider a sprinter to
>> be
>> like a fighter pilot,
>
> flying under the Golden Gate bridge

Except that that's one of those things people claim to have seen but in
reality has almost never happened.